• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

as someone who didn't dislike the last album: yikes.

Her last album is actually why I became a fan. I did go back to listen to dimension and hyper girl and they're decent, but her self-titled is still my favourite by a large margin: still basically whisper cloud rap stuff, but a lot poppier too. (Also, she's responsible for one of my two favourite tofubeats covers that I actually like more than real tofubeats, so that helps.)

This doesn't resemble her earlier work. Like, at all. Sometimes that can totally work (I still dig that last Especia EP of original material despite the bad Engrish) but this is just so generic.

That would be me. Unfortunately discussion has died down in that thread in the past couple years but the calendar has sort of become my method of keeping track of / discovering new music, so I'll keep doing it. Also it's not comprehensive but a subjective list of what I'm interested in or think is notable in some way.

WHAT. Goddamn. Those calendars are great, thanks so much for putting those together!

In terms of favourite releases so far, I feel like 2017's been really good for albums and EPs I like but don't yet love. The CHAI EP hit escape velocity for me, and I can see a few other things breaking out of good-not-great but haven't been able to devote enough time to let them sink in.

People BORIS is touring the USA this fall I HIGHLY recommend going if you can go.
"DEAR/25th ANNIVERSARY TOUR"

10/03 – Fresno, CA @ Strummers *
10/04 – Sacramento, CA @ Harlow's *
10/06 – Eugene, OR @ WOW Hall ^
10/07 – Seattle, WA @ Neumo's ^
10/08 – Vancouver, BC @ Rickshaw Theatre ^
10/09 – Portland, OR @ Doug Fir Lounge ^
10/11 – San Francisco, CA @ The Independent ^
10/12-14 – Joshua Tree, CA @ Desert Daze Fest
10/14 – Tucson, AZ @ 191 Toole %
10/16 – Salt Lake City, UT @ Metro Music Hall %
10/17 – Denver, CO @ Bluebird Theater %
10/19 – Lawrence, KS @ Granada Theatre %
10/20 – Omaha, NE @ The Waiting Room %
10/21 – Minneapolis, MN @ Triple Rock Social Club +
10/22 – Milwaukee, WI @ Turner Hall +
10/23 – Chicago, IL @ Thalia Hall +
10/25 – Detroit, MI @ El Club +
10/26 – Cleveland, OH @ Grog Shop +
10/27 – Millvale, PA @ Mr Smalls +
10/28 – Philadelphia, PA @ Union Transfer +
10/29 – Baltimore, MD @ Rams Head Live! (Days of Darkness)
10/31 – Allston, MA @ Brighton Music Hall ~
11/01 – Brooklyn, NY @ Warsaw ~
11/04 – Durham, NC @ Motorco ~
11/05 – Knoxville, TN @ The Concourse ~
11/07 – Atlanta, GA @ The Masquerade, Hell Stage ~
11/08 – Nashville, TN @ Exit / In ~
11/09 – Birmingham, AL @ Saturn $
11/10 – New Orleans, LA @ One Eyed Jacks $
11/10-12 – McDade, TX @ Sound on Sound Fest
11/14 – Albuquerque, NM @ Sister +
11/15 – Phoenix, AZ @ Crescent Ballroom #
11/17 – San Diego, CA @ Casbah #
* = w/ ENDON
^ = w/ SUMAC, Endon
% = w/ SubRosa, Endon
+ = w/ Helms Alee, Endon
~ = w/ Mutoid Man, Endon
$ = w/ Thou, Endon
# = w/ Torche, Endon

I don't know if this counts as Japanese music but I guess it sort of does.

Deerhoof premiered a new song on Democracy Now! a few days back. It's not as a crazy and haphazard as I remember them from years ago lol.

https://www.democracynow.org/2017/6/28/song_premiere_deerhoof_i_will_spite

their whole thing is trying something new with every album, and it's never not worked out in my opinion. great band.

People BORIS is touring the USA this fall I HIGHLY recommend going if you can go.
"DEAR/25th ANNIVERSARY TOUR"

skipping DC/Richmond of course. the folks who get Sumac and Endon are in for a hell of a show. bring earplugs.

I wish there was a better way to help you, but all I can think of is giving you a link to Oricon, which has a week-to-week release schedule
http://www.oricon.co.jp/release/album/jp/
http://www.oricon.co.jp/release/album/ia/ (for indies)
Hope that can do the trick, I think they have the majority of releases listed, some stuff might not be on there.
How do you listen to these? All I could find are the previews on the site. I want to listen to the whole thing before I decide to buy. Google leads me nowhere too. Currently trying to listen to Funny Walkin.

Before I found GAF's thread on the subject, I was lurking Popjustice's J-pop thread, and someone there would post each week's new releases along with a list of upcoming stuff. It's only sporadically updated these days, but here's where the 2017 stuff starts. It's pretty comprehensive and most of it comes with handy YouTube links for easy browsing. I find it a bit imposing to go through all of it, which is why I prefer this thread, but there's plenty to mine if you so desire.

I wish I could help, but my pre-2000s knowledge is spotty at best (mainly Taeko Ohnuki, Pizzicato Five, a light sprinkling of Puffy, and random shibuya-kei castoffs). I mean, hell, my CURRENT knowledge is still pretty spotty, I definitely don't keep up with the idol scene or the Kurita scene. Still, I feel like we've talked about older material before--maybe just try bringing it up here and see if anyone bites? (If you've already done this in the past and got nothing, my apologies.)

Thank you.

Kurita

How do you listen to these? All I could find are the previews on the site. I want to listen to the whole thing before I decide to buy. Google leads me nowhere too. Currently trying to listen to Funny Walkin.
I guess you can try to find some of the stuff on Spotify or Apple Music, but if you're not in Japan your selection will be quite limited (even in Japan you can't find everything on streaming platforms). At this point you're asking too much from the Japanese music industry lol

New Bentham is gooooooooood
https://youtu.be/MWserASk0Jg

Recently got into Yorushika, pretty cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F64yFFnZfkI

Kurita

Akai Koen's vocalist is leaving the band huh

New indigo la End PV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwaS55VG6NA

In other news, The Mirraz announced AND released their 3rd (!) album (well it's just a mini-album, not a full album like the two previous releases) of the year today lol
So that's 2 full albums, 1 mini-album and 4 singles since February hahaha And everyone of them is fucking amazing.
Enon has some competition.

July is already off to a great start thanks to this surprise release, and it's gonna be a damn good month for music :
7/5 : MONOEYES, Brian the Sun, Suchmos, SEKAI NO OWARI, Regal Lily
7/12 : indigo la End, KANA-BOON
7/19 : never young beach, BIGMAMA
7/26 : Kami-sama Boku ha Kizuiteshimatta, Arukara, Bentham, Cider Girl, go!go!vanillas, Age Factory

AdamT

Going to the Boston show! Saw them last year when they played Pink and even with earplugs, I had ringing after. So good.

I wouldn't mind hearing a vocal-free version of that song. I've been listening to a lot of late 70s to 80s Japanese instrumental and synth-driven pop lately and watching that got me thinking how I appreciate the musicianship of the band(including his guitar) and prefer what's underneath the vocals more. Same thing with Gesu no Kiwami Otome, although I really dig stuff like Before I Get Sad(as Indigo), Ikenai Dance, Romance Is Lavish, or Killer Ball.

What's that one song in the Anthem of the Heart movie?

It's featured in one of the trailers and sounds like a song from AKB48 or some idol group.

Kurita

Quick thoughts about Monoeyes's new album.
Weeeeeeell, I think it's the album I wanted from them. The first one was obviously pretty good, but maybe lacked a bit of poppiness that was part of Hosomi's songwriting when he was leading Ellegarden. It was a somewhat dark album? This time you don't really have kinda gloomy songs like Cold Reaction or Get Me Down.
Scott wrote (and sings) 3 songs on the album (Borders & Walls was already on the single last year, glad they included it), so it diversifies the band's sound a little bit, which is definitely welcome. I kinda wish they were real twin vocals songs and not just Scott, but it's still fine. Hope they'll do legitimate half/half songs in the future, should be the logical next step.

3,2,1.Go might be my favorite song of the album. The chorus just feels "big", it's fantastic.

Anyways, excellent album and I'm reaaaaaally excited to see what they'll do next, cause this feels like a new starting point.
Guess we'll have to wait quite some time though, cause Hosomi seems to alternate between The Hiatus and Monoeyes every year.

a2086945103_10.jpg

Odile - WARMDUSCHER

something new from Zankyo. It's not math/indie/post-rock/post-hardcore. Female vox.

What are some of Japanese music video on Youtube with the most views?

I remember watching Hoshino Gen's Koi from the first time back in February when it had like 60 million views, and now it's already at 140 million. The other notable one is RPG from Sekai no Owari with 120 million views. I'm guessing AKB MVs already hit 100+ million views as well?

Kurita

What are some of Japanese music video on Youtube with the most views?

I remember watching Hoshino Gen's Koi from the first time back in February when it had like 60 million views, and now it's already at 140 million. The other notable one is RPG from Sekai no Owari with 120 million views. I'm guessing AKB MVs already hit 100+ million views as well?
Radwimps's theme song for Your Name has more than 140 million. Wonder if there's a MV out there that surpassed Radwimps and Hoshino, not sure there is actually.
RPG was the king for the longest time.

Top Bottom