• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese sales of The Wonderful 101 are not wonderful...at all...

Fabrik

Banned
Why are hardcore Nintendo fans not buying this? I'm sure they are more than 6,000 in Japan. I don't understand.

That's really depressing to see, but it's a Wii U exclusive, so I'm not sure what else is to be expected. Hopefully it will have legs if Wii U sales ever pick up. It's one of the biggest reasons I bought a Wii U this year, but it's still a shame that Kamiya's next game is coming out on a system with such a tiny install base. I just hope people play it.

RRcT7sI.jpg

he looks so sad :(

TheExodu5

Banned
The Wornderful 101 is a tough sale. Even as a hardcore gamer I have no idea what it is. Gameplay videos aren't terribly charismatic or intuitive...it looks like a mess.

Dat trolling

Don't get yourself banned. Your avatar looks too good for that.

I actually love my Wii U. I think everything about is perfect except for the useless (IMO) Gamepad and Nintendo's senior management being out of touch with the competition. They could use a nice graphical showpiece sometime soon, since the Wii U is capable of it.

Wii U is my preferred primary console. PS4/X1 will be my secondary.

Celegus

Ouch... really hope Bayonetta 2 does decent enough to make up for it. Sadly it's still just not enough to plunk down a few hundred bucks for a Wii U to me.

Stop trying the userbase excuse. This game would bomb on any system. It doesn't appeal to anyone who isn't a Platinum dick rider.

I think Bayo 2 could still be successful.

Neiteio

Game might've made a stronger first impression if Nintendo hadn't worked against it from the start.

*E3 2012 press conference comes and goes*

Reggie: "Oh hai Geoff, look at dis Project P-100."

Riki

The replies in these threads make me lose all faith in the future of gaming.
Port begging and bashing on graphics of a beautiful game.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
On the plus side, the game is really, really good!

QaaQer

Yeah, so the the Wonderful 101 characters. Dude, just stop. You obviously don't have a clue what you're going on about since you haven't even played the game.

To be fair, in a postmortem bomba thread, I think viewpoints like his are valid when asking why didn't people buy the game. And many times the answer is simply "It looked dumb/bad/boring/etc." And I have to agree because the commercials all make the game look dated and kiddy. Whether the game is any of those things doesn't matter a whole lot in this context.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Fyacoz6dRo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXTOV1azklM

RM8

How MadWorld managed to sell less on Wii goes beyond my comprehension.

Oh man :( Sucks so much that this bombed in what should be its biggest region.

Jrs3000

• It's a weird game nobody asked for
It's not the game we need, it's the game we deserve
  • Most reviews complained about the awkward controls which for a combat game is not good
New style that requires practice.
  • It's on a dead platform
We will know for sure after this holiday season.
  • It's quite similar to Pikmin 3
Meh, I wish pikmin would uppercut a bulborb then slap it back down with a hammer in midair.
  • Nobody gives a fuck
You and I do.
  • (I really like the game)
Me too I'm crying right now. I hope NA saves the day.

The Wornderful 101 is a tough sale. Even as a hardcore gamer I have no idea what it is. Gameplay videos aren't terribly charismatic or intuitive...it looks like a mess.
And the demo didn't do a really good job introducing the game to people. You have to play a few times to start to get it,i wonder how many people downloaded the demo and got turned off of the game because of that.

It just goes to show how utterly worthless Nintendo Direct is for marketing.
They spammed 101 on that plenty of times.
Nintendo need to return to the big trade shows, press conferences galore.

No surprised it bombed but that was worse than I was expecting. Ultimately, the audience for the games Platinum makes isn't on Nintendo platforms.

Rich!

And the demo didn't do a really good job introducing the game to people. You have to play a few times to start to get it,i wonder how many people downloaded the demo and got turned off of the game because of that.

Personally? I couldnt get the hang of it. It frustrated me to no end and completely put me off buying the game.

DrBo42

It came out exclusively on a completely dead system nobody owns.

And Nintendo wonders why 3rd party devs aren't breaking down the door to make games for the Wii U. I don't know what they could possibly do at this point. Would a price drop really get consumers on board?

Top Bottom