• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan's Immigration Control: A Gulag straight out of war times

Status
Not open for further replies.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Immigration in all countries are brutal... But I have lived here for 9 years and know the dark evil side of Japan and they are fully capable of this

I am surprised that people are surprised at this.

If you're unlucky you're gonna have a hell of stay if something goes wrong with your Visa. Even here in Austria. Police everywhere feel like gods when nobody is watching. I am not saying this gonna happen to everyone but you just have to get the one powerhungry guy and you're fucked.

Immigration were probably arseholes but his story sounds over exaggerated for dramatic effect. Guy probably didn't have a valid visa and threw a hissy fit, playing the indignant foreigner who thinks he is above the Japanese. His Japanese seems not that good so he probably misunderstood half of what they said too.

I don't get this bit either:

After he left, the guards granted me a privilege—the right to take a shower. My show of respect, and polite language toward them, was reciprocated. They let me make a phone call. They gave me a form to fill out—this is Japan, after all—listing the nationality, name, phone number and relation of that person.

I tried to milk it. While pretending to check my phone messages (technically not a phone call), I sent messages on Facebook. I wrote short, and sent quickly, in case they caught me: (In jail now … Narita … No rights … Innocent … Help me.)

It was a smart move, because it showed them that powerful people in Canada—the department of foreign affairs, the Canadian embassy, media people—were indeed watching what they were doing with me, a human, with a name, family and supportive friends. It was a way to humanise me. [But] the papers were useless. How could I contact a legal website, if I wasn’t allowed internet? How could I call a lawyer, if I wasn’t allowed phone calls?

He made a phone call or not? Did he not call his partner?

My heart burst open like a seawall against a tsunami. Flowing with tears, I ran to the bathroom—to hell with asking the guards. I returned to my seat near the gate. I didn’t even look at anyone. I just covered my face in my hands and cried.

Lol. Dunno, just can't muster much sympathy for someone who sounds like a crybaby.

CiSTM

Banned
I am surprised that people are surprised at this.

If you're unlucky you're gonna have a hell of stay if something goes wrong with your Visa. Even here in Austria. Police everywhere feel like gods when nobody is watching. I am not saying this gonna happen to everyone but you just have to get the one powerhungry guy and you're fucked.

Well if we take Amnesty International's word for it it seems like the abuse and mistreatment is more common in Japan then the occasional powerhungry guy in Austria.

Foreign nationals entering Japan may be at risk of ill-treatment by immigration authorities during interrogations at Special Examination Rooms and by private security guards in detention facilities located at Japanese ports of entry, including Narita Airport.
During the period after denial of entry into Japan and before they were issued “orders to leave” or issued deportation orders, foreign nationals have allegedly been detained in detention facilities located within the airport premises known as Landing Prevention Facilities (LPFs) or at an “Airport Rest House” outside the airport site. Amnesty International has found evidence of ill-treatment of detainees at LPFs. It forms part of a pattern of arbitrary denial of entry to foreign nationals and systematic detention of those denied entry - a process which falls short of internationalstandards. Amnesty International has received reports of detained foreign nationals being forced to pay for their “room and board” and for being guarded by private security agencies that operate the LPFs. Foreign nationals have allegedly been strip-searched, beaten
Amnesty International May 2002 AI Index: ASA 22/002/2002

or denied food by security guards at these facilities if they have been unwilling to pay. The LPFs have detention cells that have no windows and there have been reports of foreign nationals being detained in these cells for several weeks without sunlight1 and not being allowed to exercise.
Asylum-seekers have also had their requests for asylum rejected with no or inadequate consideration of the serious risk to their lives they face on deportation. These asylum seekers have been denied access to a fair and satisfactory asylum procedure; they are frequently not allowed access to interpreters and lawyers. Furthermore, they are forced to sign documents in languages they do not understand and of the content of which they have not been adequately informed. These documents may include a document signed by the deportee waiving his or her rights to appeal against decisions made by the immigration officials such as denial of entry into Japan. Amnesty International believes that the lack of access to independent inspections and the secrecy that surround LPFs and other centres of detention in Japan make them fertile ground for human rights abuses. Detained foreign nationals in the LPFs or immigration detention centres are not informed adequately about their rights. In particular, they do not always have prompt access to a lawyer or advice in a language they understand. The Japanese government should recognize the rights of people in detention to information, legal counsel, access to the outside world and adequate medical treatment. Those who had sought to contact United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) have had their request turned down. In many cases, detainees at LPFs have been refused medical treatment by staff of security companies and by immigration officials. Decisions and actions of immigration officials and staff of security companies reveal a widespread lack of awareness of international human rights standards.
This report highlights Amnesty International’s concerns at the procedure adopted by immigration authorities and the abuses within the LPFs. It documents examples of discrimination that have underlined the arbitrary denial of entry to Japan. The report details cases where foreign nationals, including asylum-seekers, have been denied entry to Japan and have been detained in detention facilities like the LPF and have been threatened with deportation. The report also highlights cases of ill-treatment suffered by foreign nationals in detention at the LPF in recent years. These incidents suggest that, in practice, Japan has failed to respect its obligations under international human rights standards.

You can Google for fresh reports but that was in the OP's link. From the same report you can also see that there have been several allegations of foreign nationals being beaten by immigration authorities during interviews.

Steelrain

Immigration were probably arseholes but his story sounds over exaggerated for dramatic effect. Guy probably didn't have a valid visa and threw a hissy fit, playing the indignant foreigner who thinks he is above the Japanese. His Japanese seems not that good so he probably misunderstood half of what they said too.

After he left, the guards granted me a privilege—the right to take a shower. My show of respect, and polite language toward them, was reciprocated. They let me make a phone call. They gave me a form to fill out—this is Japan, after all—listing the nationality, name, phone number and relation of that person.

I tried to milk it. While pretending to check my phone messages (technically not a phone call), I sent messages on Facebook. I wrote short, and sent quickly, in case they caught me: (In jail now … Narita … No rights … Innocent … Help me.)

It was a smart move, because it showed them that powerful people in Canada—the department of foreign affairs, the Canadian embassy, media people—were indeed watching what they were doing with me, a human, with a name, family and supportive friends. It was a way to humanise me. [But] the papers were useless. How could I contact a legal website, if I wasn’t allowed internet? How could I call a lawyer, if I wasn’t allowed phone calls?

My heart burst open like a seawall against a tsunami. Flowing with tears, I ran to the bathroom—to hell with asking the guards. I returned to my seat near the gate. I didn’t even look at anyone. I just covered my face in my hands and cried.

Lol. Dunno, just can't muster much sympathy for someone who sounds like a crybaby.
"Awww you were abused by the system?? Pshhh cry some more you baby!"

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!

he texted... from his phone.

Also your Japanese doesn't have to be perfect to know you are getting fucked over.. in any language if your translator tells you that they don't have to say shit to you.. lol good luck...

dude

dude

With the username and avater - perfect execution. I really hope you weren't serious, at least.

he texted... from his phone.

Also your Japanese doesn't have to be perfect to know you are getting fucked over.. in any language if your translator tells you that they don't have to say shit to you.. lol good luck...

Why didn't he make a phonecall to his lawyer or partner? They give you a phonecall you don't post on Facebook. Anyway, he said they gave him a phone call and then later said they wouldn't let him make a phone call.

Blackace

They let me make a phone call. They gave me a form to fill out—this is Japan, after all—listing the nationality, name, phone number and relation of that person.

Guess he did call someone and then he called the embassy too who tod him good luck.. However he didn't use his phone call to use Facebook... I think he had to use the landline

V_Arnold

Your whole post, completed with your name and your avatar is just one sad mess of "not funny". Not funny, man. Not cool.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I always heard that Japan and most Asian countries were hostile and contemptuous of foreigners, if not outwardly so. It wouldn't surprise me if the immigration dept of any country were staffed by the craziest jingoists they could find.

cvxfreak

The treatment one can experience by Japanese immigration authorities when something goes wrong is well-documented and proven to be quite brutal. Even if the journalist has fabricated some of the story and isn't coming forward with his visa details, it still doesn't sound out of this world what he experienced. There are activist groups in Japan, with Japanese and non-Japanese members, that are attempting to provoke change in Japan's immigration laws and policies, but they have a tough road ahead of them. I've met a few of the members, given that my master's degree was on Japanese immigration.

Regarding the plane ticket price, I actually don't think they were shitting him on that, at least not to the extent he claimed. Last minute tickets as well as one-way tickets are expensive given the way airlines handle revenue management, but that's another debate. I'm also surprised that he didn't ask to be shipped off to a nearby Asian country to save on the fare.

I always heard that Japan and most Asian countries were hostile and contemptuous of foreigners, if not outwardly so. It wouldn't surprise me if the immigration dept of any country were staffed by the craziest jingoists they could find.

To be fair, you get a fair share of good people in immigration as well. I bet that many bureaucrats have become bitter because foreigners have given them bad treatment as well (though that's no excuse, certainly).

Your whole post, completed with your name and your avatar is just one sad mess of "not funny". Not funny, man. Not cool.

It's not supposed to be funny. I have doubts about the guy's account as others do. I'm sure he was treated badly by immigration but I suspect his visa was not legit either and he is not being totally honest. He seems to try to justify it in his full post where he talks about people overstaying their visas contributing to the Japanese economy. I've been in bad fixes myself but didn't run to the restroom, flowing with tears. I just can't imagine that and not cringe.

dude

dude
It's not supposed to be funny. I have doubts about the guy's account as others do. I'm sure he was treated badly by immigration but I suspect his visa was not legit either and he is not being totally honest. He seems to try to justify it in his full post where he talks about people overstaying their visas contributing to the Japanese economy. I've been in bad fixes myself but didn't run to the restroom, flowing with tears. I just can't imagine that and not cringe.

1. Again, his visa is irrelevant to the fact he deserves basic human rights. He should have the right to see a lawyer, to have a phonecall, to not be thrown in jail and to no be forced at virtually gun point to buy a plane ticket.

2. You're an idiot. So he cried when things got tough, how does that discredit the man? I'm sure you're goddamn Chuck Norris, huh?

Blackace

he was probably bouncing back and forth to Korea or wherever on a tourist visa... that is the most common visa abuse...

1. Again, his visa is irrelevant to the fact he deserves basic human rights. He should have the right to see a lawyer, to have a phonecall, to not be thrown in jail and to no be forced at virtually gun point to buy a plane ticket.

2. You're an idiot. So he cried when things got tough, how does that discredit the man? I'm sure you're goddamn Chuck Norris, huh?

No need for insults. Did I insult you? Of course his visa is relevant. If his visa was legit he wouldn't have been detained in the first place. He deserves basic human rights, he also has a duty to give an honest account of the circumstances. He was given a phonecall, he used it to post on Facebook.

Blackace

No need for insults. Did I insult you? Of course his visa is relevant. If his visa was legit he wouldn't have been detained in the first place. He deserves basic human rights, he also has a duty to give an honest account of the circumstances. He was given a phonecall, he used it to post on Facebook.

again you are wrong... he called his partner.. and the embassy..

but you are right that there needs to be less insults tho..

youta

No idea as to the truthfulness of his account, but it wouldn't surprise me at all, and it's clearly repugnant on the part of the authorities. That said, it's hard to take the moral high ground after the Robert Dziekański incident. Although I suspect this type of behaviour (to some extent) is sadly endemic in Japan, I have a rather dim view of immigration authorities in general.

So crybabies don't have human rights?

The guy is not a refugee from Afghanistan who has endured the horrors of war. He is a self described "educated white male" who apparently overstayed his visa and seems to have a sense of entitlement. He should be afforded human rights yes, he should not cry like a baby while running to the restroom.

Blackace

The “hotel” was in fact a jail. A prison, a detention facility, a dungeon. ”The police just told me I could make a call from here,” I said in Japanese. A guard told me flat out in Japanese: “You have no rights here.”

A sign, in English, Japanese, and other languages, lists phone numbers for United Nations organisations dedicated to helping victims of state brutality.

“It says right here that I can call these numbers.”

“No you can’t.”

They led me into a locked off area with at least two sleeping cells. The room was cold, with no windows. Lying under thin blankets, using my parka (down jacket) as a pillow, I stared at the ceiling and walls.

Later that night, I was ordered into the common room. A man, probably in his 50s, was waiting to see me. His tie said “immigration.” He was warm and compassionate. He tried his best in English and Japanese to explain what was happening. He said, to my surprise, that the other officers were “idiots”. He said they had no business putting foreigners—tourists or expats—in jail like this. “It is a shame for Japan,” he said. “Embarrassing.”

After talking to me, he went out for a few minutes and came back to give me more documents to sign. One was titled “Waiving the Right to Appeal”, meaning, “We are kicking you out of the country.” The other was an “appeal form”. It said I had three days to appeal to “the Minister of Justice.” This at least gave me hope that someone would recognise their mistake, and let me go home

I went back to my cell dejected. I lay under blankets in my winter clothes, tormented. I chased away dark thoughts—suicide, protest, escape—from my mind. I cried for myself, and for the tortured souls of the previous tenants.

I was so exhausted from the ordeal that I did fall asleep, shortly after they turned off the lights at 11pm. When I woke up at 10 am on Saturday morning, December 24, my cell was unlocked. [From] the jail’s common room, I was allowed to call my partner. “Don’t worry,” I said, “They’re going to let me go home soon. It’s all been a big mistake.”

The guards now let me make a second call, to my embassy representative. Though helpful and genuinely concerned, she said, “only Japan has authority. There’s nothing we can do.” She said my worried family and friends, who saw my messages on Facebook, had been calling her to offer assistance. She also had faxed a list of lawyers and legal assistance agencies in Japan to the immigration officers.

if you read it.. he wasn't allowed to call any number he wanted... he needed to fill out a form.. and most likely in Japanese. He tried to get as much time with his phone as he could.. checking mails and a quick sos on Facebook..

next morning he was able to contact his partner and talked to the embassy who couldn't help him...

hsukardi

Having been to Japan and having friends from there, and reading a lot about it as a Japanophile.. this is probably all true.

You just have to go there to sense their xenophobism.

Blackace

The guy is not a refugee from Afghanistan who has endured the horrors of war. He is a self described "educated white male" who apparently overstayed his visa and seems to have a sense of entitlement. He should be afforded human rights yes, he should not cry like a baby while running to the restroom.

again... you have no idea what his visa status was. if he left the country he was most likely on a tourist visa and kept doing that, which is not overstaying..

dude

dude

His visa status is irrelevant because, let's say his visa really wasn't legit - the treatment he got by the authorothies is still horrible and shouldn't be like this in any country. I don't think this kind of treatment is right even if only people without legit visas get it. People without Japanese visa deserve human right as well, you know.

He was given a phone call, he called the ambassy to see what they can do - Which is the smartest thing he could have done.

You keep bringin up him crying does not make you look good. It's irrelevant whether he cried or not, just... Stop bringing it up, please.

He wasn't allowed a lawyer or a phone call, he was thrown in jail without a trial, the authoroties were hostile towards him etc. Seems like a breack of quite a few human rights, actually.

V_Arnold

That is not up to you to decide. Some might appreciate the fact that you are stone cold in situations like this, but crying is a basic human emotion when dealing with things that you cannot handle, anyone who looks down on people crying or bursting out with tears should be ashamed.

I can assure you though, you have potential situations when you would do the same. You are just ignoring that as you are not in that situation yet. I have seen quite a few tough guys break down, and it is always easier for them to deal with everything afterwards ;)

His visa status is irrelevant because, let's say his visa really wasn't legit - the treatment he got by the authorothies is still horrible and shouldn't be like this in any country. I don't think this kind of treatment is right even if only people without legit visas get it. People without Japanese visa deserve human right as well, you know.

He was given a phone call, he called the ambassy to see what they can do - Which is the smartest thing he could have done.

You keep bringin up him crying does not make you look good. It's irrelevant whether he cried or not, just... Stop bringing it up, please.

He wasn't allowed a lawyer or a phone call, he was thrown in jail without a trial, the authoroties were hostile towards him etc. Seems like a breack of quite a few human rights, actually.

Even you are contradicting yourself.

again... you have no idea what his visa status was. if he left the country he was most likely on a tourist visa and kept doing that, which is not overstaying..

nor do you.

I think the things to note about the article if based on facts should contain the following information:

visa status.
receipt/bank record for this overpriced ticket

as for the statement that this "hotel" etc is a jail. Of course it'd have to be some sort of holding area. You're going to let someone you've apprehended for visa issues, walk free?

The writeup is sensationalistic and overwrought with drama.

The OP bolded a bunch of stuff (even that bit about the dog) but not this choice bit:

It must be considered as unverified, despite The Economist’s attempts to check relevant facts with the Japanese and Canadian governments. As a result, we cannot endorse its accuracy.

so um, how can you run the article?

I know that is an awful thing to have happen to you, but some of the writing in that article just made me laugh:

"I cried for myself, and for the tortured souls of the previous tenants."
"I could only notice that the vast majority of space below was filled with a deep and utter darkness. Somewhere out there, in the gulag of detention centres dotting the land like black holes in the heart of Japan, were the cries of innocent people who would not be heard."

Glad I wasn't the only one to notice that. Article is super-hammy.

dude

dude

I'm not contradicting myself - Originally, he wasn't allowed a phonecall. He was allowed a phonecall later "for good behaviour", as if that's some special previlege.

I like how you didn't reply to any of my actual points though.

hsukardi

Glad I wasn't the only one to notice that. Article is super-hammy.

What does hamminess have to do with truth?

You guys have to stop posing as superior intellectuals and understand the principles and the reality of the situation behind the persona of the messenger.

Blackace

nor do you.

I know that he left the country and tried to return to it... Which leads me to believe he was on a tourist visa and country hopping..

Of course I could be wrong and he might have overstayed a work visa or even was deported before but the fact remains that he was bullied and perhaps at gunpoint... Also the fact that Japan will not release most "prisoners" to the embassies has always reeked of BS to me....

What does hamminess have to do with truth?

You guys have to stop posing as superior intellectuals and understand the principles and the reality of the situation behind the persona of the messenger.

Was commenting on the writing, not the story. Figure everyone else has the story down pat - they don't need my input. But yeah, it's not well-written.

"My heart burst open like a seawall against a tsunami."

I'm guessing that what happened is that they said they would allow him a phone call and gave him a form to fill out for the contact info. At some point he was given his cell phone back (maybe to look up numbers to write on the form) but he was not allowed to dial a number on it so he made facebook posts.

Sometime after that he was allowed to call the embassy/his girlfriend. After that call he was not allowed to make any more calls, making his second "how could I get a call out?" non-contradictory.

The story is kind of hard for me to follow as well. Could be that he made some stuff up or doesn't remember everything from stress.

agree that the write up is terrible.

His borderline unreadable blogsite

http://globalite.posterous.com/

btw the write up is MUCH worse on his site.

If she touches me, I'm going to knock her down. I was going to get revenge for all the thousands of innocent foreigners detained and abused by these war dogs from hell. I gave her my best Baghdad stare, my East Timor look of horror, my Afghanistan gaze of terror -- and she didn't flinch.

This was one tough bitch! Still holding my passport, she dogged me all the way to the gate. "I'm going to fly with him all the way to Canada," she said to another KB, in Japanese so that I could hear it.

I steadied myself, and tried to reel in my temper. If I hit her, then it would confirm what everybody suspected: the foreigner really is a violent criminal.

LOL!

Sitting on the toilet, a thought flashed across my mind. "This is my last chance." I could try to climb through a panel in the ceiling, and crawl amid the pipes. Or I could make a run for it down the hall. But then what? I'm surrounded by hundreds of armed men and women with mobile phones, walkie-talkies, security cameras, automatic doors, fences, squad cars and things I don't even know about. They'll shoot me and kill me, or tackle me and beat me senseless. They'll push me down the Trap Door into the gulag and nobody will ever know. There is no escape. Narita is a maximum security prison. The hardest place to escape from in Japan.

Its an airport. Holyshit at the drama.

LOLOL!

hsukardi

Was commenting on the writing, not the story. Figure everyone else has the story down pat - they don't need my input. But yeah, it's not well-written.

"My heart burst open like a seawall against a tsunami."

We're talking about basic human rights, abuse.. and all you guys can muster is "the writing is bad'?

Seriously? That's why your country is in the gutters.

Come on fuckers, man the fuck up and stand for what's right and what's deserved, and not about writing and crybabies.

I'm not contradicting myself - Originally, he wasn't allowed a phonecall. He was allowed a phonecall later "for good behaviour", as if that's some special previlege.

I like how you didn't reply to any of my actual points though.

Ugh. He said:

They let me make a phone call. They gave me a form to fill out—this is Japan, after all—listing the nationality, name, phone number and relation of that person.

Which part of they let me make a phone call do you not understand? He tried to milk it by pretending to check phone messages and posting on Facebook when he should have just made a bloody phone call to his partner and got her to help him out.

We're talking about basic human rights, abuse.. and all you guys can muster is "the writing is bad'?

Seriously? That's why your country is in the gutters.

Come on fuckers, man the fuck up and stand for what's right and what's deserved, and not about writing and crybabies.

Hahaha, wtf.

hsukardi

Hahaha, wtf.

image.php

Blackace

Ugh. He said:

Which part of they let me make a phone call do you not understand? He tried to milk it by pretending to check phone messages and posting on Facebook when he should have just made a bloody phone call to his partner and got her to help him out.

They used the word partner for a reason I think...

He made phone calls to his partner which was stated later... He couldnt call from his cellphone and couldn't call who he wanted without approval first..

spwolf

The treatment one can experience by Japanese immigration authorities when something goes wrong is well-documented and proven to be quite brutal. Even if the journalist has fabricated some of the story and isn't coming forward with his visa details, it still doesn't sound out of this world what he experienced. There are activist groups in Japan, with Japanese and non-Japanese members, that are attempting to provoke change in Japan's immigration laws and policies, but they have a tough road ahead of them. I've met a few of the members, given that my master's degree was on Japanese immigration.

Regarding the plane ticket price, I actually don't think they were shitting him on that, at least not to the extent he claimed. Last minute tickets as well as one-way tickets are expensive given the way airlines handle revenue management, but that's another debate. I'm also surprised that he didn't ask to be shipped off to a nearby Asian country to save on the fare.

To be fair, you get a fair share of good people in immigration as well. I bet that many bureaucrats have become bitter because foreigners have given them bad treatment as well (though that's no excuse, certainly).

What do you think happens with people trying to enter USA and Canada on expired Visa?
Or anywhere else in the world?

He got interviewed, denied entry and shipped back.

He was in jail for 4 hours and he thought about suicide... wtf?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom