• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jaxel- On the big Tournament Organizers in the Fighting Game Community

Why is it okay that Triforce owes Jaxel thousands of dollars but it's okay, then blow up Big E and other TO's for $$$? Subjective as hell.
It's not, Art.

I understand the heat of the moment and anger. It nearly destroyed my military career. Sometimes, you have to take a step back, let the situation settle down a little then address the issue.

As we can see in the last few pages, the thread's tone has changed to how Jaxel handled the situation.

Again, I understand the frustration, but it wasn't handled in a thoughtful, professional manner.

Jaxel, hate to say it, but you should probably apologize, lay low for awhile and then try to generate good will, so you're not shunned by the community.

nycfurby

Dhalsim's Max CPM Emporium
Respect, probably. Sounds like Tri-Force is ok to deal with for Jaxel and he can trust him to get the money eventually. Whereas that wasn't the case in the end for Big-E.

Triforce basically supports all his players, it's a net drain on income of course. Where as BigE has one of the longest standing tournaments in the community. Lol. The reason that I'm asking this was fairly rhetorical: it's because I'd like to see some actual facts instead of subjective opinion.

It's not, Art.

I understand the heat of the moment and anger. It nearly destroyed my military career. Sometimes, you have to take a step back, let the situation settle down a little then address the issue.

As we can see in the last few pages, the thread's tone has changed to how Jaxel handled the situation.

Again, I understand the frustration, but it wasn't handled in a thoughtful, professional manner.

Jaxel, hate to say it, but you should probably apologize, lay low for awhile and then try to generate good will, so you're not shunned by the community.

Of course I understand the frustration, probably better than 95% of people in the scene, considering I'm doing something similar myself, but this is a terrible way to go about doing it.

kazuo

He didn't make the claim that Evo did not pay players out properly, it was inferred by other people. I misunderstood his point in that post as well because I read it without thinking about the rest of it. He cleared it up later. Go back and read his talk and add in the correct numbers, it doesn't change his original point.

Whether or not the payouts are "fair" or "worth what the players put in" is a separate, subjective discussion that isn't really relevant to Jaxel's main issue. The payouts are clearly stated well before each event occurs. Jaxel is simply piling on with this.

Shouta said:
Respect, probably. Sounds like Tri-Force is ok to deal with for Jaxel and he can trust him to get the money eventually. Whereas that wasn't the case in the end for Big-E.

Allow me to provide two counterpoints to this. First, if your boss didn't pay you, but he respected you, would that be okay?

Secondly, could his good will toward TriForce have anything to do with the fact that TriForce works closely with Rolando Brison, one of the only if not the only tournament organizer in the FGC that has substantial financial backing and is not reliant on "sponsors", venue fees or their own (out-of-pocket) money to fund his events?

There is always two sides to every story, and each side has an agenda. You would all do well to remember that.

It's not, Art.

Going by Jaxel he already lost his business with VxG over these alleged backroom dealings. If he isn't at rock bottom yet then I'd hate to see what that actually looks like.

Going by Jaxel he already lost his business with VxG over these alleged backroom dealings. If he isn't at rock bottom yet then I'd hate to see what that actually looks like.

We don't know that for sure. He insinuated it he lost the VxG gig due to Big E. If true, it's shady but we're only getting one side of the story.

I'm not sure what Jaxel does for a living, but if it's streaming and web development, then he sort of damaged his reputation with his PUBLIC statements. Again, I understand his frustration. But handle it directly with Big E and SRK, hire a lawyer to try to negotiate a settlement, decide not to do business with the two anymore, keep it moving, etc.

And you don't think the fall out from this isn't going to make his life worse? Look at the reaction. This is Neogaf not the fighting game community where players, tournament organizers, etc operate.

We don't know that for sure. He insinuated it he lost the VxG gig due to Big E. If true, it's shady but we're only getting one side of the story.

I'm not sure what Jaxel does for a living, but if it's streaming and web development, then he sort of damaged his reputation with his PUBLIC statements. Again, I understand his frustration. But handle it directly with Big E and SRK, hire a lawyer to try to negotiate a settlement, decide not to do business with the two anymore, keep it moving, etc.

And you don't think the fall out from this isn't going to make his life worse? Look at the reaction. This is Neogaf not the fighting game community where players, tournament organizers, etc operate.

He tried to do it on SRK and was banned for his troubles.

Mabans

Neo Member
Yeah. Basically taking it all these years is pretty foolish and that's on Jaxel's plate. Doesn't really excuse getting screwed out of some cash as he has, of course, but there's ownership Jaxel has to take for letting it happen.

Then why didn't he take the legal route? When clients don't pay me when hey are supposed to, guess what? I stop working for them, i stipulate that in every contract. If I'm late I have penalties towards me that benefit the client. If they don't paid at all, I get attorneys to go after them. Want to play business? Then grow up and be ready to make moves otherwise you are just running a $0.05 lemonade stand pretending. There are laws and legal ways to recoup owed money. Crying about it on a web forum does nothing. That's why with all the perception of "business savvy" people like Jaxel, it's funny to watch them cry when they get screwed over. It doesn't mean that a business or a contractor has to disregard humanity but if you want to play in the big league's then be better prepared of the business aspect of it.

JDdelphin

Of course I understand the frustration, probably better than 95% of people in the scene, considering I'm doing something similar myself, but this is a terrible way to go about doing it.

Say you're him and you see things the same way as he does about everything. What would you do instead?

Shouta

Whether or not the payouts are "fair" or "worth what the players put in" is a separate, subjective discussion that isn't really relevant to Jaxel's main issue. The payouts are clearly stated well before each event occurs. Jaxel is simply piling on with this.

Sure, whether or not it's a separate and somewhat subjective discussion. Well, partially subjective. From a pure monetary standpoint, it's objectively worth more but the subjective value isn't gauged in that.

It still doesn't negate his actual comment that MLG was actually doing a lot of good things for FG players at their. I don't know the exact conditions as I didn't follow it very closely but he only said that MLG being bad was false.

Allow me to provide two counterpoints to this. First, if your boss didn't pay you, but he respected you, would that be okay?

But a regular worker/manager situation isn't the same as it is in the FGC. As I mentioned already, the way things are done currently are a lot more buddy-buddy and informal. If I was working for an event and all I had to do was stream and didn't pay a thing out of pocket to do so, I'd be ok if the circumstances said they couldn't give me a small amount for my time because at the very least, it didn't cost me to do it and I was doing it for the community. But if I had to incur costs to do it and they said they wouldn't pay me, then I'd be mad.

Then why didn't he take the legal route? When clients don't pay me when hey are supposed to, guess what? I stop working for them, i stipulate that in every contract. If I'm late I have penalties towards me that benefit the client. If they don't paid at all, I get attorneys to go after them. Want to play business? Then grow up and be ready to make moves otherwise you are just running a $0.05 lemonade stand pretending. There are laws and legal ways to recoup owed money. Crying about it on a web forum does nothing. That's why with all the perception of "business savvy" people like Jaxel, it's funny to watch them cry when they get screwed over. It doesn't mean that a business or a contractor has to disregard humanity but if you want to play in the big league's then be better prepared of the business aspect of it.

Yeah. It's probably because he didn't have a contract for it which is stupid of him. As I said, that's on him and he should take the hit for it. He needs to harden up and do it more business-like, as it should be It doesn't really make his anger for not getting paid unjustified though.

If he hasn't truly decided to give up on the people and organizations giving him alleged issues like these then he made a huge mistake. If he is done then he went out with a bang, I guess. He definitely should have made his position clear with everyone from the start regarding fees and tournament organization, but that is why he allowed the OP to be made. Hopefully anyone trying to make their mark takes a look at this thread and uses Jaxel's shortcomings and mistakes to make fewer mistakes when dealing with TOs and SRK.

Secondly, could his good will toward TriForce have anything to do with the fact that TriForce works closely with Rolando Brison, one of the only if not the only tournament organizer in the FGC that has substantial financial backing and is not reliant on "sponsors", venue fees or their own (out-of-pocket) money to fund his events?

There is always two sides to every story, and each side has an agenda. You would all do well to remember that.

Jaxel has always said that he would do business with Triforce, he said it way before VxG was ever got involved with Triforce and he is still saying it now.

Koogy

Neo Member

this.

a lot of people misrepresent what a "business person" is. just because someone is technically talented doesn't mean they understand how to run a BUSINESS. understanding how to negotiate, how to get your payment, how to say no, etc.

this whole thread is disappointing because now it'll just come back to bite jaxel in the ass in other fields when employers google his name / nicknames / anything he's ever done.

DaRabidDuckie

I'm just chiming in my thoughts here:

First off, I'm nobody special, but some of you may heard of me. I'm the guy who went blind in one eye after a soldering accident doing stick mods at tournaments.

The FGC is the most amazing thing that has ever happened to me. When I got injured, SRK kicked off a fundraiser to help me out. The Cannons alone paid my rent for an entire month, and the rest of the (insanely awesome) donators, many of them GAFers, kept me going for four months while I got medical treatment and was unable to work. I have zero beef with SRK. None whatsoever. Sure, there's stuff that needs changed (like more transparency from SRK leadership), but I don't feel it's my place, so I stay out of it.

Some disclosure: Yes, I am a moderator at SRK, but I'm the lowest man on the totem pole. I moderate the Skullgirls section and help with the spam filter (as does every mod now). I also admit that as a businessman in the FGC, I have a vested interest in its success. I don't make much money at these events either (despite what some TOs would think) and this is mostly a method for me to go to as many tournaments as possible and either break even or come out $100-200 ahead. Historically though, my business operates at either a loss or slightly above even, especially after the injury. I used to do it for the money, now I just do it for the community.

Anyway, what Jaxel says isn't surprising, but it's not entirely correct either. I go to at least one major a month during the tournament season, and am on a first-name basis with nearly every TO in the country, even if I've never been to one of their tournaments. What I'm getting as is that I know a lot of what goes on behind the scenes. I can personally confirm that pretty much everything Renegade said above was correct. As an aside, Renegade is one of the people I respect most in the FGC, as his ideas on building community formed the backbone of my methods used in supporting the community, either through holding small events, how I run my business (even the pricing I use!), and how I support my local scenes.

The only thing I see coming out of this whole thing is that Jaxel will probably never get work in the FGC again unless it's his own events or something having to do with Soul Calibur. Even if he did get screwed, he's now a social pariah and no one would go near him. Even if he did only get table scraps, he just bit the hand that feeds him.

Shouta

The only thing I see coming out of this whole thing is that Jaxel will probably never get work in the FGC again unless it's his own events or something having to do with Soul Calibur. Even if he did get screwed, he's now a social pariah and no one would go near him. Even if he did only get table scraps, he just bit the hand that feeds him.

Which he's kind of resigned himself to, per a post a few pages back.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
bunch of text...

But from the looks of it, they were feeding him shit.

BlackShinobi (SRK poster) asked that I share this:
http://shinob-e.com/?p=144

I never use my site so I might as well use it for this.

Jaxel has made a couple of comments about Big E that I wanted to respond to that I’m posting here since I don’t have a Neogaf account.

First of all Jaxel claimed that Big E is getting the venues for free. A little while ago E was going to finalize everything for the Summer Jam and NEC venues and he asked me to come along and get pictures of the new venue and some at the Sheraton; for anyone who doesn’t know I usually do photography for Big E’s events. We went to the new hotel and while I while E was in the office I walked around the venue getting photographs. I do know what the cost of the venue was and it not free, but I won’t even count that because I wasn’t there in the room and I found out afterwards from E. After we left the new Hotel we went to the Sheraton which as everyone knows is not a new venue for Philly majors. I’ve been there enough times that I wasn’t walking around looking for shots and I went into the office with E this time, I was there for the discussions and I literally saw him make the payment on the venue. So I am absolutely 100% sure that Big E is not getting his venues for free.

Also to the fact that Big E isn’t compensating the people running tournaments is not true. I will not say anything for what happened between Big E and Jaxel as far as payment because I have never seen Big E pay Jaxel with my own eyes, but I have been in the room to see big E pay or compensate people for helping out with or running tournaments. I’m not saying this part to promote anything I’ve done, but I’m putting it out there because there is an actual trail on the internet for this. At Summer Jam last year I didn’t ask Big E for anything money or anything for helping out, I’m not really in this to make money of the FGC, but he gave me a fightstick anyway, which I turned around and put up as a prize for helping new players on SRK. It’s not like I haven’t gotten anything since but like I said there is a thread and a front page post on SRK in this instance that says Jaxel’s story doesn’t check out. To repeat, I have no idea what Big E paid Jaxel, but to say that he isn’t paying and/or compensating his staff is just nonsense he added to boost his claim. Also and I will not go into detail, but I remember the incident at Winter Brawl and it didn’t go down exactly as Jaxel said.

http://shoryuken.com/2012/09/17/pro...tique-thread-and-win-a-mad-catz-arcade-stick/

I absolutely hate being involved in FGC drama, but this nonsense was overboard and calculated, making exaggerated or flat out untrue attacks on people where you know they can’t reply back is pretty low, and in any other place on the internet these claims would have gotten shot down hard and fast, which is exactly why they were made on Neogaf.

I'm not taking any sides, I'm just doing BlackShinobi a favor by sharing his perspective. I know several posters here have hoped that people of other opinions would chime in.

I will add that BlackShinobi did give away a fight stick; I know this because I was its lucky recipient, and it was due to this generosity that I was able to attend UFGT9.

For reference, Jaxel said he was paying for streaming out of his own pocket all of WB7. Also donate buttons mean really little if no one actually donates, lol.

Well, since he wasn't streaming what he should have been streaming in the first place, maybe it's just fine he streamed out of pocket. I'd have been LIVID if one of my secondary streamers started doing Windjammers or something stupid without my ok.

Renegade, make sure to give back the brush you're using to paint the Smash community back to Jaxel afterwards.
It's my own personal experience with the Smash community, which is echoed by many other of the main FGC TO's. You think it's just a coincidence that only one "Road to EVO" event picked up Smash after it won the contest to get into EVO?
HINT: It's not because FGC TO's don't like more entrants to their events.
It's because we've all tried it, and all separately determined that it's not worth the hassle. There are some awesome dudes, I really like/respect GIMR a lot, and wanted him to stream at Civil War.

It's just the bad apples and the whiners not worth the extra headache.

-> has no personal issue with Jaxel
-> shittalks him in the same post right before this

And yeah way to paint the entire Smash community as thieves, that's some hot fire right there

That's shit talk to you? I didn't really say anything about Jaxel on a personal nature, just commenting on what he's claimed here and how he's conducted himself "professionally". I didn't call him names or anything.

To be honest, I agree w/ Jaxel about one thing, the SRK Frontpage/forums have gone to hell and back. However, he takes WAY too much credit for it... because Facebook has been killing it for years...
The site was at its best with VBulletin, NOT Xenforo.

And yeah way to paint the entire Smash community as thieves, that's some hot fire right there

It's not "hot fire" if everytime I run smash, shit gets stolen (from the smash areas), and APEX almost shut down for good because of theivery. Again, not all people in the smash community are like this, but it's just another reason not to put up with it. I'm a private business, I can choose to not run events that I choose not to because of "hunches".

I'm just chiming in my thoughts here:
I can personally confirm that pretty much everything Renegade said above was correct. As an aside, Renegade is one of the people I respect most in the FGC, as his ideas on building community formed the backbone of my methods used in supporting the community, either through holding small events, how I run my business (even the pricing I use!), and how I support my local scenes.

Hey man, this really made my day. I'm glad someone was listening and took it to heart. Best to ya, and I'll see you at EVO/Summer Jam.

Chavelo

Thanks for that post, Karst. If we're going by how half of the thread has gone already (believe pretty much without questioning), then that just breaks half of Jaxel's argument.

But from the looks of it, they were feeding him shit.

Kinda hard to get anything else in the FGC when you just go off from buddy-buddy deals. :/

kirblar

It's just the bad apples and the whiners not worth the extra headache.
The younger a scene is, the bigger the problems. This isn't just Smash - in the M:TG/TCG community, Yu-Gi-Oh is reviled because of the problems they bring along.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
BlackShinobi (SRK poster) asked that I share this:
http://shinob-e.com/?p=144

I'm not taking any sides, I'm just doing BlackShinobi a favor by sharing his perspective. I know several posters here have hoped that people of other opinions would chime in.

I will add that BlackShinobi did give away a fight stick; I know this because I was its lucky recipient, and it was due to this generosity that I was able to attend UFGT9.

Besides being an SRk poster who is BlackShinobi, so I can add it to the OP

That's shit talk to you? I didn't really say anything about Jaxel on a personal nature, just commenting on what he's claimed here and how he's conducted himself "professionally". I didn't call him names or anything.

If you had all these issues with his streaming, why on earth would you try and use him at all?

This whole thing's too hot button to really nitpick people on any posts they make, though. You get a pass! :p

There are very few people in the FGC I would even consider remotely professional (since I stopped paying attention to it long ago, there may be more, bear with me here). Keits is one, Larry's one, Sp00ky is one. Everyone at LevelUp. The rest? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ If they were good enough at this sort of thing, they'd be doing it somewhere else.

Shouta

Well, since he wasn't streaming what he should have been streaming in the first place, maybe it's just fine he streamed out of pocket. I'd have been LIVID if one of my secondary streamers started doing Windjammers or something stupid without my ok.

Yo, don't be dissing Windjammers, man. That shit is awesome.

Jaxel said that the Tag 2 guys said to skip them at the tourney. Anyone know who was running it? Twitter them and ask!

From a viewer perspective, I wasn't happy with WB7 at all especially because SFxT got nothing but like Top 4 on stream, as I recall. I was happy with Jaxel's stream there because there was some time for all of the 3D games. VF gets no love from anyone other than him and NWM.

If you had all these issues with his streaming, why on earth would you try and use him at all?

This whole thing's too hot button to really nitpick people on any posts they make, though. You get a pass! :p

There are very few people in the FGC I would even consider remotely professional (since I stopped paying attention to it long ago, there may be more, bear with me here). Keits is one, Larry's one, Sp00ky is one. Everyone at LevelUp. The rest? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ If they were good enough at this sort of thing, they'd be doing it somewhere else.

I was running out of options. Bifuteki (CW4 streamer) was at DA BEECH. GIMR (who's based in MD) was at a wedding. I had reservations based on my observations, but Spooky vouched for him, so I asked him.
When he priced himself out of my budget, that was that. I went to FunkyP, who ended up not being able to make it at all.

However Arturo (mr NYCFurby himself) stepped up in relief duty, and did such a bang up job that I'll go to him first next time. A lot of great Injustice action.

Yo, don't be dissing Windjammers, man. That shit is awesome.

No hate to windjammers. Great ass game. I'd just be mad if it got streamed at my FGC event without my approval. It's not like it's gonna make the sponsors happy.

Well you kinda did talk shit about the Smash community for no apparent reason making baseless accusations and blanket statements about them. Same thing you're saying Jaxel did about TOs

Baseless accusations? These aren't baseless. I've run events for them, and my experience in doing so overall is poor. So much that I don't really wish to run tournaments for them again.
Are some guys really cool? Yeah! Dr PP is an awesome guy, and really fucking good. Tope is a very old friend of mine. G-Reg is also a stand up guy. These guys make me have hope for the community and maybe I'll give them another shot again when SmashU comes out and I can run it on modern equipment.

I've said from the get go that it's my personal experience. If you went to a restaurant and got food poisoning, would you go back? Are your accusations against them baseless?

I'm sorry that my side comment about smash became a thing. I didn't mean to derail it. It's just that Jaxel held up the Smash community and MLG as some shining examples of professionalism when it couldn't really be further from the truth.

John Nelson was just trying to warn us before the illuminati got to him, and they destroyed him to set an example for people who want to run tournaments that aren't approved by the capcom FGC illuminati.

Never Forget
Kappa

Honestly though why aren't there large numbers of wannabe TOs lining up for this market if it's true that it's a profitable business? If SRK/Capcom FGC is indeed running a racket in collusion how do they enforce these things?

MrDaravon

To be fair that could mean almost anything either way.

Like with most things the truth is somewhere in the middle on both sides here, but this kind of bullshit drama is why I've largely fallen off the FGC stuff and probably won't even take time off for EVO this year. It's extremely offputting. Every other week there's some other fucking drama with TO's, potsplitting, whatever.

Shouta

No hate to windjammers. Great ass game. I'd just be mad if it got streamed at my FGC event without my approval. It's not like it's gonna make the sponsors happy.

Yeah, understandable. It would be nice if someone other than Jaxel or Big-E (if he's following all of this) spoke up on that on Twitter.

Halvie

Banned
this.

a lot of people misrepresent what a "business person" is. just because someone is technically talented doesn't mean they understand how to run a BUSINESS. understanding how to negotiate, how to get your payment, how to say no, etc.

this whole thread is disappointing because now it'll just come back to bite jaxel in the ass in other fields when employers google his name / nicknames / anything he's ever done.

How would employers outside of the fgc know what his nickname is?

Halvie

Banned
LOL, I can't even imagine employers googling the guy's information then stumbling upon GAF like it's some revelation

Just would assume he/most people have emails not easily linked to forums or anything that could make them look bad online. Have no clue what his real name is. Maybe it is well known by a lot of you guys. If he wasn't getting paid for a majority of his work, I am sure even an entry level web dev job would pay a lot better than what he was making.

And what would be the probability of an employer coming across this thread, seeing posts like the quoted HAV thing, and then holding that against him.I doubt many employers wouldn't sympathize.

To be fair that could mean almost anything either way.

Like with most things the truth is somewhere in the middle on both sides here, but this kind of bullshit drama is why I've largely fallen off the FGC stuff and probably won't even take time off for EVO this year. It's extremely offputting. Every other week there's some other fucking drama with TO's, potsplitting, whatever.

This is pretty much how I feel.

Local peeps are cool, as are a chunk of the lesser-knowns and even a couple of the well-knowns I've met at some tourneys, but there's some dumbassery too. Could be said for any activity that gathers a large amount of people and requires some to work together; however, the fact that this is more of a (former) and expendable hobby gives me much less tolerance for the stupidity.

Still registered and heading to EVO this year but who knows how much I'll play, definitely not bothering with money matches, and it's certainly the last tourney I'm leaving my city for.

Would be cool for the FGC to leave stuff like this behind and clean up the act a bit, whether it's less of airing people out on the internet/to an audience, or actually honoring business agreements. TBH, if I was a sponsor and I happened across stuff like this, it'd throw up a flag for me or at the very least raise an eyebrow and make me wary.

Not saying that all TO's, organizers, players etc. are the worst or up to no good -- they're clearly not because I know a couple, and others are by-and-large standup people, at least in this regard. But the ones who run shenanigans definitely get the most airtime, and it doesn't help perception IMO. And on the other hand, as someone who knows more about the FGC than your average person, it's just tiring.

Eh, but whaddya gonna do. Life goes on.

Halvie

Banned
Aside from it being a portmanteau of his actual name, and this being fairly common knowledge? No idea.

See no idea what his real name is. Still don't see him not getting a long with people who miss treating people like shit and enjoying the hilarity of sexism and racism as bad. If their comments aren't fucking over their job prospects, I don't think he really has much to worry about.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I honestly think Jaxel has a lot of legitimate issues, even if some of the details don't pan out, and I can understand the frustration in needing to air them out in some way when he feels like he's exhausted all his other options, but man, I dunno if this was smart.

Shout-outs to Renegade and Duckie for dropping by. Y'all showing up to Orlando next weekend?

If its so expensive, then why have it in Las Vegas, and Caesar's Palace in the first place?

Evo picked one of the most expensive cities, and one of the most expensive hotels to run their tourney. To then cry poverty is a bit much.
This is kind of a side discussion, but as someone who's been to a lot of tournaments including EVO, I really agree on this count:

I'm skipping Evo in favor of other majors this year. Evo is fun, don't get me wrong, and you should go if you can, but as far as I'm concerned it offers a significantly diluted experience for an extremely inflated price compared to every other major tournament I've been to.

You just don't get the chance to play nearly as much at Evo, period.
At most majors, the tournament is the only show in town, so to speak. Nothing else is really happening at the venue, and the FG players make up a significant portion of the guests. The bedrooms are a short distance from the event ballroom. All of this means that it's really easy to just wander the halls and find people to play, often times very notable people at that. Season's Beatings 2012, for example, was probably kind of boring as a viewing experience from home (I recall the Marvel top 8 being particularly dull), but it was amazing if you were there. Roughly one third of every pool consisted of top or well-known talent. Pretty much everyone on the 3rd floor were tournament players, meaning we didn't really have to worry about noise complaints. I ran a stream out of my room with all sorts of notable players and got to play people from all across the US and Mexico while I was there. I literally didn't sleep Saturday night. It was awesome. Final Round this weekend was similar for me, with the exception of being tied up running one of the official streams for Friday and Saturday.

At EVO last year, I realized by the end of it that I had spent so much time just walking around and watching compared to other tournaments and it kind of bummed me out a little. The venue (Caesar's Palace) was huge, and not just a hotel, but also a casino and shopping plaza. The bedrooms were extremely far away from the ballroom, and a lot of people stayed elsewhere to save on costs. The BYOC in the ballroom was pathetically small (2 Marvel stations total when I was there, one of which hardly worked due to disc read errors), to the point where I'd much rather they have scrapped the room for industry panels entirely and gotten rid of most of the booths in the main ballroom to make room for more setups. Finding anyone to play was just such a chore, and by the time I did it could take almost an hour to walk to where I needed to be. Meeting up with all the GAF peeps was cool, though, and props to God's Beard for arranging the dinner. <3

Basically, unless you expect to place well in the tournament, you live closer to EVO than other majors, you want to meet up with people going specifically to EVO, you're more concerned with watching than playing, or you want to hit up Las Vegas in general, I can't really think of a reason why I'd recommend going to EVO over most other tournaments I've been to even though, overall, I had a great time and I'm glad I went. I would just put Final Round, Season's Beatings, CEO, and even the yet-to-happen Fall Classic higher on my priority list right now.
Coincidentally, though, I happen to be chilling in Vegas with family right now. Fun city.

TOs must earn money out of their tournaments, otherwise they would not be run. Making money out of events is easy mode too - you just feed in all the costs, then figure out how much of a cut you want, then ask for that much per head.
This is kind of hogwash. Nobody runs fighting game tournaments as their career, and there are reasons for that. There's a lot of risk. Larry Dixon (Shinblanka), who does a great job with Final Round, lost a fair bit of money last year trying to get Atlanta Finalroundbats off the ground, and it fell flat on its face. I should know; I was the only out-of-state player who showed up to the only 2 Marvel events they had before they had to cancel them for lack of attendance. He's retooling and going to try again in about a month.

Tournament organizers aren't the community. So don't disregard his points because he is slamming the 1%
Even though people have already made a point to note that this thread was originally only slamming a few specific TOs, it needs to be stated again that this comment is more than a little ignorant. Hard work, respect, and reputation are how a lot of TOs build their events into big productions in the first place, and they all started out as players themselves. Following up on my previous comment, pretty much everyone in the southeast who have invested themselves in the scene in any capacity, from old heads to new blood, has a lot of respect for Larry and the local guys who do good work.

I don't understand, Jaxel only said SRK and BigE treated him unprofessionally and Henry Cen made an unprofessional move on The Break, and Art, Viscant, and everyone else is just focusing on an assumption that the payout "could be" 3K, when he was clearly just making a comparison with MLG payouts, while preferring to not talk about the important, and very disappointing, stuff he said.

You, FGC guys, are making the FGC even more shady than Jaxel is stating it is.
When Jaxel is willing to float unsubstantiated rumors about payout without actually fact-checking them (and some really simple math ought to be able to get you a ballpark figure for EVO payouts; not sure how he messed that up), it calls into question how much you can trust him when it comes to the other monetary issues he's brought up that he ALSO has no evidence for.

This, coupled with absolutely NO proof of the claims you've made thus far, which include, but are not limited to:
  1. Inventing all stream technology that FGC streamers use
This is true. Everybody who's anybody at streaming uses his Panel Writer, unless they happen to be hot shit at coding their own comparable solutions.

I went to FunkyP, who ended up not being able to make it at all.
Was that when his car broke down last minute? I think I saw him post something about that on Facebook. Sucks man. Paul does great work, too. He's been my go-to guy for advice down here ever since I got started with streaming.

Sixfortyfive

I also really want to underline how funny and unhelpful the "Capcom FGC" remarks in the OP are. Way to be divisive for no reason.

Can't directly quote as I am on my tablet, but @ Sixfourtyfive - I'm not really saying that TOs make enough for a career. I am saying that most of them have to be at least profitable, or the organisers have to be very rich to support them. And the TO deserves a cut of the profits really.

I think I remember that little documentary about CEO 2012 which had Jebailey on it. IIRC he said that CEO was indeed profitable, and he poured that profit back into the events. I doubt he is the only one who does that. Then again he has a bobblehead of himself. He isn't skint!

Sixfortyfive

But it's actually true though...
It's strictly a dismissively-used distinction that helps no one. It always comes across as a petty and misplaced way to stick it to the man for imaginary transgressions, too. One year, the only two Capcom games that EVO ran were SF4 and MVC3. This year, they're running, what, 9 games total plus exhibitions? And yet SRK always has, and always will, be given shit for supposedly not giving a damn about anything but Street Fighter no matter how much they try to accommodate as many things as they reasonably can. And that whole Tekken "boycott" nonsense at NCR was hilarious; Final Round puts Street Fighter on a Friday and nobody bitched about it, but NCR puts Tekken on a Friday and it's a crime against humanity. Some people just have this bizarre victim complex, get bitter when their games just aren't as popular as the big draws, and blame completely unrelated people for no good reason.

It goes all the way down to the local level, too. Sometimes Marvel/SF4 groups in certain cities get bitched about for keeping other games down... when they're the only ones willing to step up and run and stream events for any games at all in the first place. I've literally been on commentary with people who just shit talk us constantly... when I, an exclusively Marvel player, am the one streaming the event for free with literally thousands of dollars worth of equipment paid out of my own pocket. I guess it's good that I just think it's more amusing than anything else.

This is kind of a tangent and doesn't necessarily apply to the discussion at hand.

Can't directly quote as I am on my tablet, but @ Sixfourtyfive - I'm not really saying that TOs make enough for a career. I am saying that most of them have to be at least profitable, or the organisers have to be very rich to support them. And the TO deserves a cut of the profits really.

Woah that's cool. Jaxel needs to help us get Pokemon streaming up to standards for the National / World Championships ;D

No shit? There are Pokemon Nationals and World Championships? I'm not sure whether I should pee my pants from laughing so hard, or I should be shocked and amazed by this. Either way, I gotta check this out.

Wish my bladder good luck!

No shit? There are Pokemon Nationals and World Championships? I'm not sure whether I should pee my pants from laughing so hard, or I should be shocked and amazed by this. Either way, I gotta check this out.

Wish my bladder good luck!

Nintendo/Game Freak have done more for competitive Pokemon than Capcom has done for the tournament scene for the last few years now.

Top Bottom