• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Grubb reiterates that the PlayStation Showcase is happening this month

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doom85

Wednesday :)

Wednesday Addams Movie GIF

There, that’ll get them to start announcing stuff.

For a 20~ minute State of Play, I understand that.

But this is supposed to be a bigger 90~ minute showcase. I'm not sure why they just don't announce it. Holding it back till 2, 3 days before the showcase itself doesn't really serve any purpose.
A 90 minute showcase is not happening. That's way too long. 45-60 minutes, tops.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Topher

Gold Member
How long were the last handful of Showcases PS4-PS5 era? Guaranteed around an hour, and probably less.

2016 PlayStation Showcase to announce the PS4 Pro was 1 hour, 11 minutes. And that was 8 years ago.

Probably will be an hour. If it is more than that then I'm thinking it will include the PS5 Pro reveal

Topher

Gold Member
The PS4 Pro reveal was September > released November. So if so, that would really, really early. I'm hoping this is just software, which we really need.

Was it really that close to release? I was thinking it was around E3 timeframe. Agree on needing to see games more than hardware.

nial

The PS4 Pro reveal was September > released November. So if so, that would really, really early. I'm hoping this is just software, which we really need.
It did get a brief mention at E3 2016. I'm actually with you in that this is not getting a full reveal until close to release, but a codename announcement (like PS Portal last year) is likely, IMO.

Things to consider with a possible showcase

• If you do a showcase now will you have enough to do another showcase specifically for the PS5 Pro, which will probably be announced in September and released in October/November
    • If you split the showcase, what do you show now vs during a September showcase?
  • Sony confirmed that they're going to release their bangers in FY25 and FY26
    • Sony has to ask themselves when they want to show these games
  • We have no scheduled releases following The Final Shape
Rebirth got a State of Play in February 23 days in advance of its release.

At the minimum you'd expect we'd see a state of play for The Final Shape, but we also know that Concord is releasing this year as well as Until Dawn.

There's also a strong possibility of Phantom Blade Zero, which might be sony's biggest single player game of the year.

In 2025 we can expect to see releases of Fairgames, Venom, Death Stranding 2 then in 2026 we can expect Wolverine.

But sprinkled into all this are a slew of other games from other studios that we haven't seen at all yet.

People are irrationally getting angry that something isn't announced yesterday that may not even be planned for May. But as for when something is announced there are probably a multitude of considerations

• Can the individual team come up with something to show in time for a specific event
  • Are third parties ready
  • How far the game is from release
  • Is that the appropriate event to announce a game
  • Is it better to announce and reveal a game now rather than when the PS5 Pro is revealed and then have nothing new to show then
If you look back they probably teased wolverine way too early.

I'd add that we're probably due to get more details on the casting for God of War and Horizon

and I forgot to mention the Lego Horizon game and some of the other games like the online game and MMORPG.

Probably get an announcement for TLOU2 PC and God of War Ragnarok PC this fall as well.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Before the Xbox event? That would, going by their history, be unlikely.

There's that Sony Group "long-term vision" presentation coming up, but I imaging that will be more business- oriented than consumer.

But, we'll see...
There’s something going on next Thursday.

CamHostage

Things to consider with a possible showcase

• If you do a showcase now will you have enough to do another showcase specifically for the PS5 Pro, which will probably be announced in September and released in October/November

I don't think Ps5Pro needs to be managed in a Showcase. It complicates what is shown in an actual Showcase event since they would need to be careful with the labeling (and developers would be ticked about how their features are shown,) but Sony doesn't need an hour- long stream to market this hardware. (They never did one for PSVR2, right? Just the CES unveiling and then some State of Play inclusion with a little bit of extra time on Horizon COTM. ) There are other marketing techniques to sell this thing.

That said, I agree that the expectations of a summer Showcase are possibly misguided, given the timing and the announcements (and non- announcement confirmation) they already made about their current product calendar.

CamHostage

There’s something going on next Thursday.

Right, that's the event I'm saying to not expect anything like a Showcase out of. It is their Corporate Strategy Meeting 2024 presentation, and they're promoting it with the Sony Corp CEO and CFO as speakers. (And the fact that it's at 10PM Eastern is one of many signs which establishes that they don't expect anybody to watch it live. )

Last edited:
I don't think Ps5Pro needs to be managed in a Showcase. It complicates what is shown in an actual Showcase event since they would need to be careful with the labeling (and developers would be ticked about how their features are shown,) but Sony doesn't need an hour- long stream to market this hardware. (They never did one for PSVR2, right? Just the CES unveiling and then some State of Play inclusion with a little bit of extra time on Horizon COTM. ) There are other marketing techniques to sell this thing.

That said, I agree that the expectations of a summer Showcase are possibly misguided, given the timing and the announcements (and non- announcement confirmation) they already made about their current product calendar.

I think PSVR2 is significantly more niche than PS5 Pro.

And they'll need to really focus on selling it since you can't just say 4K.

I think we might see hardware and software/ip having disparate announcements but we'll see how that goes.

Nishino will probably announce the PSVR2 PC adapter for example. We might have a hardware showcase focused on PlayStation Products. Black PS Elite headset, maybe an update on PS Portal having cloud gaming e.t.c. So it is possible that we wouldn't have a ton of game reveals with the PS5 Pro.

Topher

Gold Member
Right, that's the event I'm saying to not expect anything like a Showcase out of. It is their Corporate Strategy Meeting 2024 presentation. (And the fact that it's at 10PM Eastern establishes that they don't expect anybody to watch it live. )

Hiroki Totoki is speaking so could be some PlayStation related stuff. Think it might be interesting.

Right, that's the event I'm saying to not expect anything like a Showcase out of. It is their Corporate Strategy Meeting 2024 presentation, and they're promoting it with the Sony Corp CEO and CFO as speakers. (And the fact that it's at 10PM Eastern is one of many signs which establishes that they don't expect anybody to watch it live. )

People view things in the lense that they're more important than they are.

Sony has a meeting scheduled, it MUST be about PlayStation.

Sony titles the event beyond boundaries and it MUST be about PlayStation embracing multiplatform more.

Sony announces that they are trying to buy Paramount they MUST not care about PlayStation.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
I wish people could understand that Sony =/= SIE and Playstation...

I guess you'll get it after the event and see that it's just a business meeting..

Think you’re both referring to the Corporate Meeting on the 23rd.

Daniel cites a PlayStation related event on the 30th which starts at 8am.

It’s said to be PlayStation related, whether it’s the showcase or not we’ll have to wait and see.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Hiroki Totoki is speaking so could be some PlayStation related stuff. Think it might be interesting.

Well, they have already promised to provide the deck of financial slides on the website after the event, so if you miss it, you can always catch up through PowerPoint...

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
They're gonna need a bigger venue to announce a PS5 Pro, I hope they don't just announce it via a blog post.
I'd be really surprised if they announce the Pro before September.
It's what they've done it the last time(actually it was Oct IIRC), not to mention all the respective big-slim revisions were announced like a month from launch too - Sony's never done the - 'oh let's announce hw up to 2 years in advance and see if it can crater our sales even more' type of thing.

But yes - I'd sort of expect an event dedicated just to the Pro(again like the last one) - though this time I don't know how they'll market it without HDR and 4k.

Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Sony doesn't need an hour- long stream to market this hardware. (They never did one for PSVR2, right? Just the CES unveiling and then some State of Play inclusion with a little bit of extra time on Horizon COTM. )
Oddly neither PSVR got that kind of dedicated event (but plenty of other coverage). The Pro had its own physical showcase (with a keynote from Cerny) though - like a mini version of launch console reveal except with tons of actual software to show and no tech-demos.
I thought that actually worked rather well as a format - but who knows - it's the post Covid world now.

Oddly neither PSVR got that kind of dedicated event (but plenty of other coverage). The Pro had its own physical showcase (with a keynote from Cerny) though - like a mini version of launch console reveal except with tons of actual software to show and no tech-demos.
I thought that actually worked rather well as a format - but who knows - it's the post Covid world now.

Really hard to present VR in an event. It doesn't translate super well. Would be different at something like an e3.

nial

They're licensing Ape Escape, Together Everywhere and Ghost of Tsushima merch in Japan.
Oh, Sony...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom