• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Grubb: State of Play event scheduled for May

Jeff said in the clip you've linked that it could be either a showcase or a SoP.

paul happening GIF

Last edited:
I may have reached my limit on being a "cynical gamer" but is anyone else also having that feeling opposite of excitement for PlayStation altogether? I mean, maybe Ive changed too much but I remember like planning 1 week ahead of E3 press conferences just to get delighted with surprises and stuff of what was coming next. Now I feel almost nothing when this state of play are announced.

rm082e

I may have reached my limit on being a "cynical gamer" but is anyone else also having that feeling opposite of excitement for PlayStation altogether? I mean, maybe Ive changed too much but I remember like planning 1 week ahead of E3 press conferences just to get delighted with surprises and stuff of what was coming next. Now I feel almost nothing when this state of play are announced.
Same here, but I wonder how much of that is just getting older? I'm about to be 44. I'm just more numb to everything now and can't get as excited about things as I used to.

Also, I think the stupid long lead times for everyone that isn't Nintendo killed it for me. Seeing a game announced with no date in sight, and then seeing trailers and marketing hype for 2-3 years before it finally comes out is just blah. I would be a lot more excited if companies were not allowed to even announce a game less than 12 months from release.

Oh, and IDGAF about anything Sony has to say until they announce a Bloodborne remake. :messenger_pouting:

Robb

Gold Member
Whatever it is I just hope they bring out something that looks interesting. A new platformer from Asobi would be much appreciated.

I'll bite.

Apart from Helldivers, I'd hardly call them "on fire" quite the opposite if you ask me.
uh?
remember that email leak from Xbox? when Phil Spencer was like:
"Guys, mmm I think our release cadence is fucked and we had a catastrophic 2022?". Very amateurish.

a competent company sees its pipeline. "oh shit, we are dry as fuck" and then goes out and makes third-party, second-party deals:

Helldivers 2, FFVII-2, Ronin and Stellar Blade

50% of this output are second-party . 3 of which are GOTYs contenders

damn. Sony keeps it's track record of delivering quality and zeitgeist games.

tmlDan

maybe thats good, its always better to be pleasantly surprised than set expectations too high and be let down. That way you'll get more enjoyment out of it.

If its a state of play I'm not bothered.

If it's a showcase then I'll be cautiously excited since the last one was poor

Last edited:
They haven't put together a good showcase in a long time, so I don't blame you. Hopefully whatever showcase ends up alongside the PS5 Pro announcement delivers.

clarky

Gold Member
uh?
remember that email leak from Xbox? when Phil Spencer was like:
"Guys, mmm I think our release cadence is fucked and we had a catastrophic 2022?". Very amateurish.

a competent company sees its pipeline. "oh shit, we are dry as fuck" and then goes out and makes third-party, second-party deals:

Helldivers 2, FFVII-2, Ronin and Stellar Blade

50% of this output are second-party . 3 of which are GOTYs contenders

damn. Sony keeps it's track record of delivering quality and zeitgeist games.

Yeah, lets not get into it again. This argument has been done to death on this board so no point reigniting it between us. we'll just agree to disagree if that's ok. Their output this gen has been just ok at best for me.

But as for the 4 games you mentioned , FF will be on other platforms soon enough (i'm waiting for the PC release personally), Ronin looks decidedly average (Nioh 3 would have been preferable for me) and Stellar blade isn't even out yet to gain a proper judgement.

Helldivers is great though.

Last edited:
Same here, but I wonder how much of that is just getting older? I'm about to be 44. I'm just more numb to everything now and can't get as excited about things as I used to.

Also, I think the stupid long lead times for everyone that isn't Nintendo killed it for me. Seeing a game announced with no date in sight, and then seeing trailers and marketing hype for 2-3 years before it finally comes out is just blah. I would be a lot more excited if companies were not allowed to even announce a game less than 12 months from release.

Oh, and IDGAF about anything Sony has to say until they announce a Bloodborne remake. :messenger_pouting:
I don’t even watch the events anymore I just cherry pick which trailers I find interesting. 2005-2015 was the peak of E3/Gaming hype. It’s awful nowadays with 56 meh events scattered throughout the year instead of one or two major focuses like E3 and TGS.

On the plus side I actually play and finish many, many more games due to not being on forums nearly as much as I did back then 😜

Metnut

Last one had FF7Re, Ronin and Stellar Blade and each are coming out in a 3-month window. Will be difficult to follow that up.

rm082e

I don’t even watch the events anymore I just cherry pick which trailers I find interesting. 2005-2015 was the peak of E3/Gaming hype. It’s awful nowadays with 56 meh events scattered throughout the year instead of one or two major focuses like E3 and TGS.

On the plus side I actually play and finish many, many more games due to not being on forums nearly as much as I did back then 😜
COVID finally killing E3 made me lose a lot of interest in any of the shows/presentations. It's not as much fun when it's not live, in a theater with an audience who can react to what they're seeing. It's sad that we probably won't ever get a megaton moment like the FF7 Remake announcement, or savage moments like when Phil got booed. Ah memories...

I'm full time work-from-home, so if I don't have a meeting to attend, I'll usually pull up a stream on my second monitor out of curiosity. But every time I watch a Sony thing and they don't announce Bloodborne remake, I just hate them a little more.

Agreed.

Belthazar

Hopefully it's a showcase... A big one. O understand wanting to announce stuff closet to launch, but there's nothing from first party studios with a set release date currently and that's kinda ridiculous.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I have serious doubts about people wanting to pay $70 for Silent Hill 2 in 2024. I wonder if the game is still around 10 hours long or if it has a lot of additional content to extend it.

Probably the most interesting thing we know about is Concorde. I still think it has a lot of potential to surprise people.

Yeah, lets not get into it again. This argument has been done to death on this board so no point reigniting it between us. we'll just agree to disagree if that's ok. Their output this gen has been just ok at best for me.

But as for the 4 games you mentioned , FF will be on other platforms soon enough (i'm waiting for the PC release personally), Ronin looks decidedly average (Nioh 3 would have been preferable for me) and Stellar blade isn't even out yet to gain a proper judgement.

Helldivers is great though.
im not talking from a personal point of view. (what you/me like or don't like is totally irrelevant)

I'm talking as general assessment of the situation.

this release cadence is insane. in fact; is destroying what Xbox promised back in 2021, of releasing a big game each quarter.

but you could say "they are not the first party" so they dont count...and Booty didnt even said "big".

well, sony has always engaged in partnerships to ensure content for its console. And i bet these 4 games didnt cost 80B to secure. xbox is not delivering even smaller games.

so, I think as a platform holder, sony is indeed on fire.

Go_Ly_Dow

Final Fantasy 9 Remake pls

Also show some Dragon Quest 12, Kindom Heats 4 and throw us a new NieR game whilst you're at it.

Last edited:

CamHostage

BTW Jeff said "Sony event", he doesnt know if its a SOP or Showcase, maybe edit the thread title

Good catch.

May or late-April/early-June tends to be the State of Play period, but they did do Showcase in 2023 in May. (The other two Showcases were in Sept.) So, could be either I guess... but going by the news of the industry, I'm not sure there will be a PlayStation Showcase this year? Some of what I would expect to be there is canceled and not a lot of whispered good news has been leaking from the studios who might still be on track. There is stuff being made, though, by somebody. If any of these publishers can reframe 2024 as a year to begin looking forward to the future, though, that'd be a nice change of pace.

Last edited:

JaksGhost

Yet all it takes is one rumor and y'all are creating hype train threads... in the midst of all of this "mediocrity".

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
im not talking from a personal point of view. (what you/me like or don't like is totally irrelevant)

I'm talking as general assessment of the situation.

this release cadence is insane. in fact; is destroying what Xbox promised back in 2021, of releasing a big game each quarter.

but you could say "they are not the first party" so they dont count...and Booty didnt even said "big".

well, sony has always engaged in partnerships to ensure content for its console. And i bet these 4 games didnt cost 80B to secure. xbox is not delivering even smaller games.

so, I think as a platform holder, sony is indeed on fire.
You said they are "on fire" that's a personal assessment no? Re-read my post i was talking entirely from a personal point of view, as i thought you were as you stated they were "on fire" which I disagreed with. Looks like we have our wires crossed.

Not sure why you are bringing Xbox into the conversation, just because they completely shit the bed a long time ago doesn't elevate Sony's middling efforts.

Edited for clarity.

Last edited:
Top Bottom