• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeremy Lin: Asian American, Harvard Grad... NBA great?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure where you got your education, but I merely said it is not a joke major. There are plenty of tough courses in econ. And we're talking about Harvard here.

Masters? This guy is 23, how would he have a masters in anything? But since you brought it up, would anyone be surprised if he went to grad school if his NBA career didn't work out?
Come at me when anyone in the NBA has a masters in quantum mechanics... what the fuck is the relevance of that?

relevance to his intelligence just because he went to harvard?

there are plenty of rigorous classes in any given major.
maybe except for communications. thats just lol worthy.
A serious question: I know very little about basketball. My general and very uneducated understanding is that college basketball is viewed as more team-centric, while the NBA is more store driven. Is that incorrect?
because most college players suck. and the coach must resort to designing his/her offensive sets to team play. aka as passing the ball around the 3 point line until 5 seconds left in the clock.
pro basketball on the otherhand, the plays are designed for a specific player.

Forkball

Wow at the amount of people in this thread who had no idea that calling an Asian person "yellow" is culturally insensitive. It would be like calling a Native American person "red."

All my Taiwanese friends are going crazy over this guy despite the fact that he is American and has apparently been to Taiwan once. The Mavs will cure the league of Linsanity though.

Opiate

Don't get me wrong, I'm not on the "lol @ your major" boat... I just thought it wasn't viewed as being a smart major to take since I have recently heard a lot of people talk bad about it.

Then again, there's people that do that for a lot of majors I guess. ::shoulder shrug::

Economics majors earned more, on average, than any other major this year, and consistently rank among the top in other years. If earnings are your basis for measurement. If it's intellectual complexity, that's a completely different metric, and one that economics is most certainly not on top of.

Onemic

A serious question: I know very little about basketball. My general and very uneducated understanding is that college basketball is viewed as more team-centric, while the NBA is more store driven. Is that incorrect?

Yes, simply because you're dealing with contracts. It's the same for most sports really, outside of the nfl

Can you explain in more detail? Assume I'm an idiot (Because I certainly am in this instance).

the great players leave college basketball teams after a year or two, so the programs that dominate are the ones that have good coaches that can micromanage, reload their rosters and stick to a system. The idea that college basketball is more "fundamental" is a fallacy IMO. In the pros, you are more likely to build around a talented player. It's a players league. This is why Lebron James can take a roster filled with scrubs and coached by Mike Brown to 60 wins back to back years.

Lamel

Banned
What the hell do you even learn with a 'communications' degree?

To communicate with people, good sir.

Most people try to supplement a communications major with a double major along the lines of international relations, journalism, english, etc...

Bgamer90

Banned
What the hell do you even learn with a 'communications' degree?

You can learn a lot.

PR, journalism, broadcasting, business, psychology, foreign languages, statistics, computer programming, UI design...

Just depends on what courses you choose to take and how you apply it to whatever you want to do since the major is pretty broad.

Kusagari

To communicate with people, good sir.

Most people try to supplement a communications major with a double major along the lines of international relations, journalism, english, etc...

That seems to be the most worthless major on the planet. A major for communicating with people? lol.

I wasn't sure because we don't have a straight communications degree at my college. I'm a Journalism student and our college is under the name Journalism & Communications, but we only have Journalism, PR, Advertising and Telecomm as majors. And I assume Telecomm works quite differently from a pure communications degree.

xbhaskarx

relevance to his intelligence just because he went to harvard?

In order to go to Harvard, you have to get admitted into Harvard.
Ivy League schools do not offer athletic scholarships.
His parents are not Harvard alumni or huge donors, so he got in based on merit.
Asian-Americans have a much harder time getting into colleges than other ethnic groups: "Studies show that Asian-Americans meet these colleges' admissions standards far out of proportion to their 6 percent representation in the U.S. population, and that they often need test scores hundreds of points higher than applicants from other ethnic groups to have an equal chance of admission.... Asian-Americans needed a 1550 SAT to have an equal chance of getting into an elite college as white students with a 1410 or black students with an 1100."

And after he got into Harvard, he graduated with a degree in economics and a 3.1 GPA.

So yeah, I don't know him personally or anything, but my educated guess is that he's probably relatively smart. But who really knows, maybe he's dumber than Jason "480 SAT score" Kidd, who got into UC Berkeley despite being borderline retarded.

Communications is a nice minor for anyone planning to do any kind of public speaking - broadcasting, teaching, religious studies, politics, acting, etc.

Bgamer90

Banned
That seems to be the most worthless major on the planet. A major for communicating with people? lol.

I wasn't sure because we don't have a straight communications degree at my college. I'm a Journalism student and our college is under the name Journalism & Communications, but we only have Journalism, PR, Advertising and Telecomm as majors. And I assume Telecomm works quite differently from a pure communications degree.

Heh, you just described what a comm degree can involve.

Communication is typically an interdisciplinary major. Also, there's nothing more worthless than a journalism degree in this day and age, :p

rdrr gnr

Lol.
Communication is typically an interdisciplinary major. Also, there's nothing more worthless than a journalism degree in this day and age, :p
Only if more journalists approached their trade with integrity and dedication...

numble

Some schools do favor athletes without giving athletic scholarships--the Ivy League does not permit athletic scholarships anyway. I went to a school that did not have athletic scholarships, but sports coaches were still allowed a certain number of admission placements.

"Admissions Offices at each Ivy school may offer some athletic and other candidates a "likely" letter, which has the effect of a formal letter of admission provided the candidate continues to have a satisfactory secondary school experience. Coaches may initiate the requests for these letters, but only the office of admission can issue a 'likely' letter."

Superman00

Liverpool01
lol, this thread has now turned weird. People are now debating whether he is a smart asian or a jock that got into harvard.

Phoenix's Rage

Neo Member
Since ppl are debating whether he's a smart Asian or not (haha)...According to this article, Lin got a perfect score on the SAT II Math 2C in ninth grade. For comparison, that would be more impressive than scoring a 800 Math for the vanilla SAT since the Math 2C test covers more advance materials. You also can't underestimate how hard it would be to keep up with classes when you factor in spending half your day for practices, going on the road for games, etc.

Edit: Plus a weighted 4.2 HS GPA (presumably out of 4.5), which means he was taking mostly honors-level or college-level AP classes and maintaining roughly a 3.7 GPA as a jock.

Jeremy Lin is obviously very smart, but who cares? Danny Granger turned down a scholarship at Yale to play basketball at fucking New Mexico. Nobody gave a shit.

Row

Banned
Probably a combination of factors. Comm programs in a variety of schools often require the least amount units in order to graduate, much of the foundational material of comm is laughably commonsensical, intro level courses are a fucking joke.

I had to take a comm course while getting my marketing degree (which I'll be the first to admit is barely above a comm degree), and it was about writing a resume and how to properly write business e-mails. Waste of time and money.

rdrr gnr

His intelligence will only be relevant as long as there is some uncertainty regarding his skill level.
I had to take a comm course while getting my marketing degree (which I'll be the first to admit is barely above a comm degree), and it was about writing a resume and how to properly write business e-mails. Waste of time and money.
Getting uncomfortably off-topic, but:

The discipline itself is odd. There is a lot that falls under that rather unfitting title. There is some very interesting cognitive and sociolinguistic specializations at the quantitative end of comm to the philosophy of language and classical rhetoric type studies at the qualitative end. It's all that stuff in between that is absolute ass. And, unfortunately, all the stuff in the middle makes up most of the degree. And, from what I can tell, one must wade through thousands of drooling, incoherent, brain dead, subhumans to find an insightful person who happens to be a comm major; the same applies to most psych and English majors -- though I don't think that has any bearing on the disciplines themselves.

xbhaskarx

Since ppl are debating whether he's a smart Asian or not (haha)...According to this article, Lin got a perfect score on the SAT II Math 2C in ninth grade. For comparison, that would be more impressive than scoring a 800 Math for the vanilla SAT since the Math 2C test covers more advance materials. You also can't underestimate how hard it would be to keep up with classes when you factor in spending half your day for practices, going on the road for games, etc.

Edit: Plus a weighted 4.2 HS GPA (presumably out of 4.5), which means he was taking mostly honors-level or college-level AP classes and maintaining roughly a 3.7 GPA as a jock.

Will that satisfy Ninja Scooter and Basketball Reasons or does Lin need to win a Nobel Prize before people can call him "smart" without NBAGAF jumping all over them?

I wonder why they're so defensive about this topic, it almost seems like they're overcompensating. Of course NBA is the thread that, like with friendless Kobe and "Black Mamba", gave themselves the nickname "BestGAF"...

Kusagari

Pfft, my school has helped me get quite a few internships and experience. Plus, I've learned more than enough to help me when I actually get out there. I'm not worried.

Also Journalism is actually considered one of the hardest majors in my school. Getting higher than a C in reporting is almost impossible.

Gabyskra

Banned
I wonder why they're so defensive about this topic, it almost seems like they're overcompensating. Of course NBA is the thread that, like with friendless Kobe and "Black Mamba", gave themselves the nickname "BestGAF"...

It's called having fun. Try it some other time.

midonnay

thanks for the thread....haven't followed NBA for a decade since they stopped showing games on australian free to air tv.

read about him on gaf awhile back about being left out of the draft (saw that video where he chucks an amazing last second game winning shot).

will be made into a movie for sure no matter how his career turns out (the fact that he made it after so many hurdles)

giga

I'd like to see some of ya'll dissing Econ take Econometrics, Forecasting, and other advanced math based courses that Econ majors have to go through. Shit's not fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom