• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeuxvideo's MGS4 preview (in French). New screenshots inside

Mojovonio

Banned
Stop previewing this game.

If he's going to hide 95% of the game, we keep seeing the same shit over and over again.

Bah, blackout COMMENCES!

See you fuckers in June.

wotter

- nanomachines play a big role in mgs4, they contribute in a sense to the change of how war is fought. The author can't be more specific though (nda prolly).
- all cutscenes are real time
- some cutscenes are very long (30 minutes even for some)
- some cutscenes are controllable. For example: during the briefing in the second mission, you can choose different camera angles.
- some graphical elements make the game come to life: birds flying over, cables swaying in the wind, a lot of explosions, etc.)
- still a lot of aliasing but nothing serious
- still some framedrops but a lot better than it was at tgs07
- explosions, fire and smoke effects are amazing
- you really think you are on the battlefield, thanks to the ambiance and sound in the game (a lot of credibility in the environments).
- synchronisation in speech not perfect yet, but Kojima promises it will be in the final version.
- new animations (snake reaches for his back sometimes because he's in pain), new cqc movements, rolling barrel is a great addition
- solid eye and mkII have a battery that will autocharge when not in use
- Otocamo is very nice, you can have the texture of a wall or the ground
- radar shows North, the objective and forces present
- at the top of the screens two bars: health bar and psych or stress bar
- map is available in 2D or 3D via the pause menu.
- you can customise weapons in Drebin's shop (accessible in the pause menu) eg: new silecener, flashlight, etc. Some weapons have limitations for customising though. Each wednesday and sunday, the price for these adjustments is only half of the normal price. Drebin is always accompanied by a monkey and you need him to get access to new weapons.
- you buy weapons with DB or Drebin Points, you get these points by selling the loot you gain/collect in combat.

Not much new it seems though :(

Jesus Crysis. I'm not really happy about 30 minute cutscenes. I hope it's just a one time occassion, because I'd be fine with that. :(

new animations (snake reaches for his shoulder sometimes because he's in pain), new cqc movements, rolling barrel is a great addition

:D

Raist said:
Hmm they do not mention the threat ring. Did they eventually get rid of it ?

Most likely yes. It was added due to lack or Rumble. Now that rumble is here, i don't think the ring is necessary.

Mojovonio said:
Stop previewing this game.

If he's going to hide 95% of the game, we keep seeing the same shit over and over again.

Bah, blackout COMMENCES!

See you fuckers in June.

Well fuck you too! [/s]

I would not be shocked to see this delayed again. A lot of you may think of crazy, but I certainly think another delay is possible. It sounds like they have quite a bit of work to do.

alba

Little is the new Big
They could test the whole SP game without restriction except the bad part he says is that he was only allowed to reveal a lot less than what he initially could.

He says there cut-scenes to gameplay transitions are really awesome (we saw that in the april fools video) and that most of the framerates problems from TGS07 are gone but there are still some minor framerates drop which kojima said would be gone in the final game.

The weapon system bit is interesting, you can buy those new weapons and their prices change within the "war time" which means they'll be cheaper or more expensive during the adventure, you buy them using "DP" (Drebin Points) that you can get while selling the weapons you find on the battlefield so it's important to try to get as many as you can.

Still reading ;O

Absinthe said:
I would not be shocked to see this delayed again. A lot of you may think of crazy, but I certainly think another delay is possible. It sounds like they have quite a bit of work to do.

Shut up! Shut up! Shut up! Stop giving ANYONE ideas! It's confirmed for June 12th 2008! Already got robbed of it in 2007! Don't want to get robbed again!

:p

SMZC

01050162.jpg

antiloop

Absinthe said:

I hope not.

antiloop said:
I hope not.

Yeah, me neither, but from the translation people have been doing it seems like there's a lot left to do. I'm a bit disappointed that the frame rate is as sporadic as it is and it strikes me a bit odd that voice synching still isn't finished.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Absinthe said:
I would not be shocked to see this delayed again.
I would be, because the game is pretty much done.

In that preview, what things other than the lip syncing did they say should still be fixed? Besides, playable build does not equal latest build. It was never the case.

Absinthe said:
Yeah, me neither, but from the translation people have been doing it seems like there's a lot left to do. I'm a bit disappointed that the frame rate is as sporadic as it is and it strikes me a bit odd that voice synching still isn't finished.

Game's done content wise and they've still got essentially two months left to clean everything up. Have faith.

Absinthe said:

Payton seemed to be indicating that Voice/Script related stuff was the last big push in the schedule, though.

Loudninja

Absinthe said:

What? the game is done.

wazoo

The interview is hilarious

Kojima "I'm making MGS4 such that Japanese designers (such as Kamiya - Okami-) know they can do something else than making brain training games"

wotter

SMZC said:
So, does it say whether it's 30 or 60fps? Or is it variable like the latest demo was?
They say there are some framedrops going from 60 to something like 25, but that it still stays confortable to play. But it spoils the visual pleasure a bit as they say.

alba

Little is the new Big
There are new CQC techniques aswell as new gadgets he can't talk about (damnit!)

The interview at the end with kojima is pretty cool where he talks about why snake is stills smoking. It's because he wants to show people that snake as a weakness but he can't do anything about it since he's addicted and that he wants people to think about it and so on...

He also talk about the current state of the gaming industry where a lot of game designers go for casual games more than big blockbusters because they can't get the budget to do them or because the risks on those kind of games are way lower, he wants to show people that a big game like MGS4 can sell really well to help the other talented people in the industry believe in big games and try to push to make more of them ;)

He also admit that he had a specific ending for MGS4 but that it changed (it's going in the same direction) but some of the staff and other people he talked about it convinced him to change the ending to make it better :O

:)

SMZC

wotter said:
They say there are some framedrops going from 60 to something like 25, but that it still stays confortable to play. But it spoils the visual pleasure a bit as they say.

Let's hope they manage to do a solid 60fps framerate for at least the majority of the game.

SMZC

alba said:
He also admit that he had a specific ending for MGS4 but that it changed (it's going in the same direction) but some of the staff and other people he talked about it convinced him to change the ending to make it better :O

:)

Oh, I remember that. On that ending, Snake and Otacon were supposed to give themselves to the authorities in the US just before being executed because of their "crimes". As he's saying now, everybody in his team hated the idea.

Ricker

He mentions some of the cut scenes are 30 minutes long but interactive,you can change angles and pan through them,they are amazing and game engine cut scenes with a little added touch to them,like blur and the like...

30min cutscenes are awesome.

I heard we can pause them this time though right? That is the only thing that the cutscenes needed.

Top Bottom