• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeuxvideo's MGS4 preview (in French). New screenshots inside

wotter said:
- nanomachines play a big role in mgs4, they contribute in a sense to the change of how war is fought. The author can't be more specific though (nda prolly).
- all cutscenes are real time
- some cutscenes are very long (30 minutes even for some)
- some cutscenes are controllable. For example: during the briefing in the second mission, you can choose different camera angles.
- some graphical elements make the game come to life: birds flying over, cables swaying in the wind, a lot of explosions, etc.)
- still a lot of aliasing but nothing serious
- still some framedrops but a lot better than it was at tgs07
- explosions, fire and smoke effects are amazing
- you really think you are on the battlefield, thanks to the ambiance and sound in the game (a lot of credibility in the environments).
- synchronisation in speech not perfect yet, but Kojima promises it will be in the final version.
- new animations (snake reaches for his shoulder sometimes because he's in pain), new cqc movements, rolling barrel is a great addition
- solid eye and mkII have a battery that will autocharge when not in use
- Otocamo is very nice, you can have the texture of a wall or the ground
- radar shows North, the objective and forces present
- at the top of the screens two bars: health bar and psych or stress bar
- map is available in 2D or 3D via the pause menu.
- you can customise weapons in Drebin's shop (accessible in the pause menu) eg: new silecener, flashlight, etc. Some weapons have limitations for customising though. Each wednesday and sunday, the price for these adjustments is only half of the normal price. Drebin is always accompanied by a monkey and you need him to get access to new weapons.
- you buy weapons with DB or Drebin Points, you get these points by selling the loot you gain/collect in combat.

Not much new it seems though :(

I love that fact that they included a weapon buying system. The fact that you can collect guns and sell them for be tter guns will mean this game will have bad ass replayability like RE4. Realtime day system is awesome too.

GeneralIroh said:
I love that fact that they included a weapon buying system. The fact that you can collect guns and sell them for be tter guns will mean this game will have bad ass replayability like RE4. Realtime day system is awesome too.

There's a huge amount of weapons in MGS4 also.

Kojima and art director Shinkawa took their time to mention that there's going to be over 70 weapons in MGS4. What's more, players can customize their weapons by adding parts, such as a scope.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/adventure/metalgearsolid4/news.html?sid=6179757

Read the IGN's preview (not thoroughly though since i was avoiding any possible spoilers). Did they mention how long the game is?

One question that i might ask Ryan for the next podcast is how will the "flashback" cutscenes work. Will it pause the current cutscene giving it a split-second though feel to it and show clips of previous game or will it happen as the cutscene is happening i.e. overlapping.

shagg_187 said:
Read the IGN's preview (not thoroughly though since i was avoiding any possible spoilers). Did they mention how long the game is?

Marconelly mentioned earlier that someone that beat it said it took him 20hours and he was rushing through it to make sure he could beat it before they had to leave.

BigBoss

shagg_187 said:

One question that i might ask Ryan for the next podcast is how will the "flashback" cutscenes work. Will it pause the current cutscene giving it a split-second though feel to it and show clips of previous game or will it happen as the cutscene is happening i.e. overlapping.

Ryan said that MGS4 would be longer than MGS3, he didn't specify the exact time it would take to beat though.

SolidSnakex said:
Marconelly mentioned earlier that someone that beat it said it took him 20hours and he was rushing through it to make sure he could beat it before they had to leave.
BigBoss said:
Ryan said that MGS4 would be longer than MGS3, he didn't specify the exact time it would take to beat though.

BigBoss and SolidSnake :lol Thanks for the quick response guys :)

News Bot

Banned
bad ass replayability like RE4

Don't belong in the same sentence. RE4 had pitiful replayability if anything. :lol

I do like how Drebin fits in, and there's no money bullshit. Drebin Points remind me of the Bounty Points in Parasite Eve 2. Except instead of killing insidious monsters, you're collecting weapons from dead soldiers.

I find that somewhat heart-warming. :D

News Bot said:
Don't belong in the same sentence. RE4 had pitiful replayability if anything. :lol

I do like how Drebin fits in, and there's no money bullshit. Drebin Points remind me of the Bounty Points in Parasite Eve 2. Except instead of killing insidious monsters, you're collecting weapons from dead soldiers.

whatdog.gif

I played through that game 5 times, and put countless hours into mercenaries. And then I bought it on Wii and PC.

Anywho, all this MGS4 info is making me hot and bothered. Especially after my runthrough of 1, 2, and 3. Gah, can't wait.

New Avatar
jeanava.jpg

News Bot said:

You just divided by zero.
RE4 had tons of weapons, shooting range, bottle cap collection, mercenaries mini game and an upgrade system.

Everytime I see a picture of Old Snake without his suit or bandana, I always feel sad. He looks like a weak scrawny old man, yet im supposed to fight mini metal gears and several armies as him? not to mention the bosses they showed off....let the man rest.

KGKK

Banned
Linkzg said:
Everytime I see a picture of Old Snake without his suit or bandana, I always feel sad. He looks like a weak scrawny old man, yet im supposed to fight mini metal gears and several armies as him? not to mention the bosses they showed off....let the man rest.

All while he is smoking like a chimney:D Badass indeed....

J2 Cool

Also, the biggest thing was that if we concentrated too much just on the Japanese audience and what the Japanese audience expects from the online game part, it most likely won't succeed in America or Europe.

So therefore, I called Ryan (Payton) to help me out – actually, I didn't listen too much to Ryan (laughs)

:lol :lol

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Wow, Campbell's hair looks great.

Anyway, I'm not looking more! They could have added a few more triangles to Snake's ears tho:p

from aprill fool hd footage, the shadow is not as perfect as uncharted, but you barely notice it when you stay still and look at it, in motion, you don't notice the simmering at all

JB1981

Callibretto said:
from aprill fool hd footage, the shadow is not as perfect as uncharted, but you barely notice it when you stay still and look at it, in motion, you don't notice the simmering at all
true just noticed that as well.

i was judging by the stills in the op - i guess things change in motion ... oh well.

Deepblue

Banned
JB1981 said:
true just noticed that as well.

i was judging by the stills in the op - i guess things change in motion ... oh well.
Yup. Shimmering shadows are one of this generation's banes.

FiRez

AltogetherAndrews said:
It'd be awesome if the story was worth the time spent telling it, and I doubt Kojima has suddenly transformed into a great cinematic director, so meh. But if they can be safely skipped then I guess it's alright.

That's weird because I play the MGS games for the story alone, the gameplay imho pales in comparison of other stealth action games

but the story is so freaking good that I couldn't care less about its weak gameplay

VALKYRAY

Banned
wazoo said:
The interview is hilarious

Kojima "I'm making MGS4 such that Japanese designers (such as Kamiya - Okami-) know they can do something else than making brain training games"
A++++

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
20 hour clock time with rushing sounds good. I rushed MGS 2 and 3 on my first play throughs and the time clocked to around 11-15 hours.

SamuraiX-

FiRez said:
That's weird because I play the MGS games for the story alone, the gameplay imho pales in comparison of other stealth action games

but the story is so freaking good that I couldn't care less about its weak gameplay

How intriguing.

Just curious, but could you name a few titles that have better gameplay than MGS4 in the Stealth-Action genre? I'm actually dying to know.

The gameplay in MGS is the best of any stealth action/adventure game. Very inventive and eclectic, infinitely replayable, interesting level design, etc. The controls however have always been awkward and behind the times. MGS4's control scheme looks like a HUGE improvement though.

zoukka

Splinter Cell?

Woah dudes the passing of time, buying weapons, collecting loot... all new to me! I need time to process this.

mr_nothin

Banned
I wonder if the AI still acts the same...
Do they just go back and forth with the same routines as before?
If they do then its fine....but i'd like to see more variation in the routines...would make for more tense gameplay.

I kinda agree about the mechanics of MGS being a bit wonky. I love the games, but I also thoroughly enjoyed Splinter Cell, and appreciated some of the things it did. After playing so much Splinter Cell, I absolutely hated playing MGS3 with the terrible camera system, I mean, I couldn't even see wtf was going on in front of me. And I never went back and played Subsistence, which corrected the camera. I loved the story but didn't have as much fun with it as I did with MGS2, where the camera didn't bother me.

Splinter Cell does not have the amount of inventiveness or interactivity that MGS has for sure though. With MGS4 correcting everything, I expect the gameplay to be top notch.

zoukka

mr_nothin said:
I wonder if the AI still acts the same...
Do they just go back and forth with the same routines as before?
If they do then its fine....but i'd like to see more variation in the routines...would make for more tense gameplay.

I could sure welcome a tighter AI. With all the gadgets available in MGS4 it would be nice to actually use them for self defence, rather than having laughs killing enemies in different ways. Tho that is fun too :)

mr_nothin

Banned
zoukka said:
I could sure welcome a tighter AI. With all the gadgets available in MGS4 it would be nice to actually use them for self defence, rather than having laughs killing enemies in different ways. Tho that is fun too :)
Yoboman said:
"These troops won't merely walk along simple patrol paths. They'll actively scan environments for trouble, communicating anything suspicious to their comrades and call in for backup, making them much more threatening than previous enemies Snake has faced."

IM CUMMING BUCKETS TOOOOOO!

zoukka

mr_nothin said:
IM CUMMING BUCKETS TOOOOOO!

I'm not buying that just yet. That text sounds like a promotional advert.

Remember how they hyped the Snake Eater "enemy squad" AI? In the end they were as stupid as in previous installments.

mr_nothin

Banned
zoukka said:

Remember how they hyped the Snake Eater "enemy squad" AI? In the end they were as stupid as in previous installments.
Who hyped it exactly?
Konami/Kojima or the press (ign..etc.)
This is from people who've played the game...not the team that made it :)

Zyzyxxz

BigBoss said:
LX5CAER2Q8TCA1EZGG1CA8ZM2JXCARFO5B3.jpg

I can't wait to see the other weapons mods.

thanks for the pic.

Why are the pistol grip and butt stock the only things in tan?

I am theorizing that possible upgrades will be camouflages to your gun.

News Bot

Banned
GeneralIroh said:
You just divided by zero.
RE4 had tons of weapons, shooting range, bottle cap collection, mercenaries mini game and an upgrade system.

You mean horrible weapons (barring like 2) and shitty, unrealistic, difficulty raping upgrade system. Though everything else is valid. Although the shooting range could be done in about 20 minutes. It didn't really add anything.

Mercenaries is fun though.

zoukka

News Bot said:
You mean horrible weapons (barring like 2) and shitty, unrealistic, difficulty raping upgrade system. Though everything else is valid. Although the shooting range could be done in about 20 minutes. It didn't really add anything.
Mercenaries is fun though.

Sure it did.

Who hyped it exactly?
Konami/Kojima or the press (ign..etc.)

Well I read that in previews in gaming magazines. I think it was from Konami so my fault I guess :)

This is from people who've played the game...not the team that made it :

IGN = People/Believable? Not :)

Yoboman

zoukka said:

Err that's from somebody who played the entire game

And Snake Eater had superb AI, what are you on about?

Top Bottom