• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeuxvideo's MGS4 preview (in French). New screenshots inside

KTallguy

Banned
Zenith said:
see, there's an example of a flashback 43 seconds in.

So I guess the player didn't push O in that case.

God, I want this game. It looks fantastic.
You're right about all Metal Gear games having a certain hue to them. I think that MGS4 with all of it's different areas will likely have different hues for different locations.

Ploid 3.0

Meryl is giving me a The Boss vibe in that vid. Mainly how she's treating the guy that was on the ground and she's over that unit.

mr_nothin

Banned
Zenith said:
01050110.jpg

Sexy.

Edit: it would seem those 2 chickens are pets kept by Sunny.
looks AWESOME
....i guess

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Absinthe said:
So even the fanbase doesn't know? Because I'm getting very conflicting opinions here. Some people are saying that there's no way I'll be able to follow the game and other people are saying that I should be fine, but I'd be better off by playing or reading up on the first three games. Which is it? :lol

I would hope the latter, because it's kind of stupid to pigeonhole yourself. It's wise to try to open yourself up to the broadest audience out there. I don't have the time to play the games, unfortunately. For one, I'm taking 15 hours of college classes and I work.

MGS games are heavily story driven games. MGS4 is a direct sequel to MGS2 and that game had more than a dozen twists and open endings. The main TAGline is "All the mysteries from the MGS games will be revealed in MGS4" so you can guess how important the story is going to be. If you don't want to play the games you can always either A) Youtube videos or B) read up on the story. Also the flashback feature will be quite limited in my opinion, it will only "recap", you're bound to miss a lot of important story related stuff.

ThirdEye said:
Wat? Isn't it a new cut from the trailers in the preorder DVD?

That actual video yes but that cutscene was shown long ago when sites got to play the demo at E3/TGS where ever it was. One of the sites took video of all the cutscenes, that was one of them, with sound.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
k79 said:
I always assumed that those were more for people who already played previous mgs games, you know, to refreshen their memories.

For people who never played previous games those flashbacks would be too much of a WTF moment.

At least that's how i see it. I could be wrong :p

That is true, if I remember currectly, Ryan Payton said something similar in one of his podcasts. Also you'll need to keep the X button pressed in order to see the flashback, this could get tiring after a while.

One tactic that we’re using is flashback sequences, so when you’re watching cut-scenes there’s going to be an X button icon that appears in the top right hand corner of the screen. For example, whenever a character refers to “Metal Gear Rex,” or “Shadow Moses” players will push that button and they’ll be shown a flashback

shantyman said:
I don't think this picture can be quoted enough:

01050110.jpghttp:

This is Next Gen... :D

The PS3 is such a beast. Initially I wasn't too impressed with MGS4 graphically, but as more time passes I'm coming to really appreciate how well done it all appears to be.

shantyman said:

I can't say I get into movie characters enough to get emotional about them,but I think I'll shed a tear as I watch Snake age
and kill himself

I nearly cracked watching the little youtube clip of Meryl's reaction to Snake's aging.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
:O June 12 needs to be NOW. I can't wait anymore... as far as I'm concerned, there's shit coming out between now and MGS4 :|

careksims

Oh my... I don't know what to say. I'm so speechless at these shots. I should not have gone into this thread >_< It's just too awesome. My goodness...

Ristlager

01050110.jpghttp:

"I'll take the case of defending the Playstation brand."

ps2-1354172

"Thank you, now I finally can retire"

Ps. this is my first image ever on this site, so if anything is wrong, please give me a notice before someone takes any actions...

dmshaposv

Zenith said:
see, there's an example of a flashback 43 seconds in.

I wonder if that was purposely FFWD, because it was way to fast for anyone to grab and wouldn't be helpful for a newbie to the series.

I think everyone should have played or at least watch the full story versions of these games (available on youtube - look for this author called alexfung23) before they go on to MGS4.

...and HOLY SHIT at the Colonel/snake pic.

Ephemeris

CowboyAstronaut said:
This is Next Gen... :D

The PS3 is such a beast. Initially I wasn't too impressed with MGS4 graphically, but as more time passes I'm coming to really appreciate how well done it all appears to be.

It's all in the details :D

mmafiend

Banned
i beat the game 2wice, in the 1st play threw i killed her. mgs2 otacon is alive, so that must mean she died in mgs1.

Xun

I think the game looks graphically amazing, aside from a few textures here and there.

DO FUCKING WANT.

jett

D-Member
mmafiend said:
i beat the game 2wice, in the 1st play threw i killed her. mgs2 otacon is alive, so that must mean she died in mgs1.

Yes, clearly Meryl died in MGS1, depsite being alive in MGS4. Clearly.

protip: Snake escaping with Meryl does not condemn Otacton to death, as Shadow Moses was ultimately NOT bombed. AND, there's a short exchange between Snake and Otacon in the Tanker chapter that hints that Meryl is very much alive. :p

old roy and snake pic look awesome

anyway, when I first see old snake, I have my worry how marketable this game going to be. I know the fans will buy it no matter what, but I'm not sure if gamers outside the fan base will want to play as an old guy.

we usually got bad ass young character as the hero, or some war hardened vet but even that they're still around 30-40 years old tops. old snake looks like he can be your grandfather and although we all know how bad ass snake is from his other games. old snake is not exactly the ideal choice to attract new comer imo.

seeing the hype and buzz around the game though, it seems a lot of people still got interested into the game. I remember when I heard some random guy see mgs4 gameplay demo being player on loop at a gamestore, he's very interested with the game and asking the store staff what game it is etc

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Those pictures look freaking fantastic very very nice it only makes the wait for the game even harder damn you Konami!

ckeur

Planning on picking up the Essential Collection soon (never played a MGS game, I know, I know).

How well has the series, esp the original, stood the test of time?

ckeur said:
Planning on picking up the Essential Collection soon (never played a MGS game, I know, I know).

How well has the series, esp the original, stood the test of time?

The series has stood the test of time quite well. I just recently played through all of them (MGS2 and 3 for the first time). MGS might look a little archaic with its PS1-era visuals, but it was well-designed and controls well. The story is still excellent (for a video game, anyways). MGS2 and 3, being PS2 games, hold up just fine, and are both amazing games. You might want to call around for the Essential collection, if I heard right, supplies were limited.

Top Bottom