• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeuxvideo's MGS4 preview (in French). New screenshots inside

alba

Little is the new Big
Sage00 said:
What's that about Drebin's discounts? Is there time progression during MGS4?

The previewer says that the weapons are cheaper on wednesdays and sundays (of real week) :D

Ricker

Absinthe,you should at least play the first one,if you don't mind the poor visuals,jaggies and the like that where common back then,it's a classic and well worth the time to get an idea for MGS4.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Tom Penny said:
So they are recreating the old cut scenes for the game for flashbacks?
They're re-created in the MGS4 engine but using the same models and textures, so they should look exactly the same as they did in the original games.

Tom Penny

Leidenfrost said:
Could just be showing a quick video of the relevant information.

Then again, I had a theory about why the disc footprint would be around 50GB.
Videos of relevant MGS1,2,3 cutscenes rerendered at 1080p

Well I hope they are redone ones. An old crappy looking cutscene from MGS 1,2,3 or may not look so hot after seeing in the middle of aMGS4 cutsence.

I guess it too late per ^^^

Sage00

Once And Future Member
alba said:
The previewer says that the weapons are cheaper on wednesdays and sundays (of real week) :D
Oh, real life. :lol I thought they meant wednesday in the game.

snoopers

I am multitalented
leesmapman said:
Reminds me of one of the best French singers around:

christophe.jpg

Haha that's right :)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
stuburns said:
EDIT: Nevermind, it's three days, 12 hours wouldn't surprise me for a first play through.
He said it was more like 20 hours for him, and he was rushing through the game to make sure to complete it.

StuBurns

Banned
Marconelly said:
He said it was more like 20 hours for him, and he was rushing through the game to make sure to complete it.

20 hours rushing? That is awesome, I was worried the "longer then Snake Eater" stuff was a bit of wishful thinking by them.

Thank you.

Doc Evils

Looks like I'm going to need a week of playing this game and use headphones so no one interrupts me when watching cut-scenes.

Doc Evils said:
Looks like I'm going to need a week of playing this game and use headphones so no one interrupts me when watching cut-scenes.

I hope the cutscenes are this time stoppable. The potential risk of girlfriend, mother, boss or puppy interruptions, and therefore hate, is huge.

Zenith

Banned
karasu said:

BMP3 APC to be precise.

What's that about Drebin's discounts? Is there time progression during MGS4?

the PS3's internal clock is used like in previous games, so if you play on a Wednesday the guns are cheaper.

So they are recreating the old cut scenes for the game for flashbacks?
#

no, footage from the playable demo already showed them using stills from the Twin Snakes in the flashbacks. just screenshots and random flashes of images like Rex, Shadow Moses, etc for the relevant subject. they're not redoing the cutscenes.

looks like it is self-contained, but it occasionally references other games. Am I wrong?

very. even with the flashbacks you'll have no clue what's going on.

Absinthe,you should at least play the first one,if you don't mind the poor visuals,jaggies and the like that where common back then,

the PC version still looks slick.

Ploid 3.0

alba said:

Ooh interesting. I liked the little nods to real life time effecting MGS3. Wounds healing, getting hungry, I think that was all .. actually.

This game is more full of win than I've seen in a long time.:D A bit off topic, but does anyone know where I can get a MGS codec ringtone?

Vaandaviii said:
I hope the cutscenes are this time stoppable. The potential risk of girlfriend, mother, boss or puppy interruptions, and therefore hate, is huge.

Take some vacation, tell your gf that you want to take a break, and have your mother make you some sandwiches.

Lince said:
so the variable framerate thing is true after all, oh well.

It just sounds like they haven't got it locked yet. They've still got time to do it. And besides it's not like MGS2's framerate was completely locked at 60fps. People were happy with its framerate so as long as they can keep the drops minimal if they can't get it completely locked then it shouldn't be an issue.

Lince

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
It just sounds like they haven't got it locked yet. They've still got time to do it. And besides it's not like MGS2's framerate was completely locked at 60fps. People were happy with its framerate so as long as they can keep the drops minimal if they can't get it completely locked then it shouldn't be an issue.

I remember some Kojima interview published in a Spanish site where he stated that the final game would run @60 fps in some areas (indoors) and 30 in others (outdoors) with the occasional slowdown in both, I'm going to look this up and read again.

Jtrizzy

Absinthe, you will not unerstand unless you play them. If you don't have time, you can watch them on youtube. I just rewatched the end of MGS2, as it was confusing. Amazingly enough, this guy plays through the game and edits out the time you would spend dying, getting lost, or stuck. I guess it's like a speed run with all of the cut scenes and codecs. Just search MGS full story version on youtube.

PoliceCop

Banned
This game makes me want to buy a PS3 and an HDTV, I'm that positive that it's going to be a definitive masterpiece. Next gen starts when Kojima says it does.

Absinthe said:
I would not be shocked to see this delayed again. A lot of you may think of crazy, but I certainly think another delay is possible. It sounds like they have quite a bit of work to do.

The final date was announced, unless something REALLLY bad happens, it's going to stick

Dante

The dude with Snake up there looks like an older Shawn Elliot.

The game is SEX, and OMG @ The Frogs. The game has so many entities, I can't even fathom experiencing all his in one game. Frogs, Gekko's, Beauty and The Beasts, Vamp, Raiden, Liquid, Metal Gears duking it out....... :O

KTallguy

Banned
30+ min cutscenes?

Jesus... well at least you can pause them. I wouldn't skip them, but I'd like to pause them at times :)

I think that Ryan Payton was pretty adamant about the fact that MGS4 is still understandable without playing the previous games. The flashbacks are part of that. However, it's probably worth going back and playing MGS1 2 and 3 at least.

It's funny that people are talking about framerate, I was playing MGS3 last night, and there are occasional dips when fighting or atmospheric effects get intense. It's funny because I never noticed it playing last time. I think I'll probably not notice the dips this time either.

Super hyped though :)

shagg_187 said:
Amazing detail :) Should
also have Raiden's pic somewhere :p

Can someone remind me what actually happened to Olga in MGS2??

I know she was on the Tanker and was the Cyber Ninja in the Plant section
but can't be arsed playing through it again to find out :lol

prettyvacant77 said:

Solidus shot her in the head, IIRC

News Bot

Banned
prettyvacant77 said:

Shot in the head.

Mamesj

Banned
duk said:
colors are so monotone! is like gow-esque

You mean, very MGS-esque:
MGS1 is blue:
34dsu1u.png

Omg- green, brown, full head of hair stealth soldiers:
scrv68.jpg

MGS2 is not very monotone. Just very plain, given the sterile environment.

Not saying this is a bad thing, I happen to love the way MGS games look.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
shagg_187 said:
Better be Raiden and Vamp battle :D
If i can't play as Raiden, i rather see a hugeass cutscene of him being all badass :D

I AGREE! :D

Those screenshots are smexy as HELL!!!!!

Top Bottom