• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeuxvideo's MGS4 preview (in French). New screenshots inside

ckeur

edible_candle said:
The series has stood the test of time quite well. I just recently played through all of them (MGS2 and 3 for the first time). MGS might look a little archaic with its PS1-era visuals, but it was well-designed and controls well. The story is still excellent (for a video game, anyways). MGS2 and 3, being PS2 games, hold up just fine, and are both amazing games. You might want to call around for the Essential collection, if I heard right, supplies were limited.

Thanks for the info. I live in Atlanta, so plenty of stores around. Hopefully won't be a problem picking up the game. Glad that the series has held up nicely. Having the same controller since the first game came out definitely makes things better.

PS1 question. Did the Dualshock (1) have L3 and R3?

ckeur said:
Thanks for the info. I live in Atlanta, so plenty of stores around. Hopefully won't be a problem picking up the game. Glad that the series has held up nicely. Having the same controller since the first game came out definitely makes things better.

PS1 question. Did the Dualshock (1) have L3 and R3?
The original Dualshock did have L3 and R3, but I'm not sure if MGS1 used those buttons. MGS2 & 3 pretty much require a Dualshock 2/3/Sixaxis, though, due to making extensive use of analog buttons.

EDIT: beaten

ckeur

edible_candle said:
The original Dualshock did have L3 and R3, but I'm not sure if MGS1 used those buttons. MGS2 & 3 pretty much require a Dualshock 2/3/Sixaxis, though, due to making extensive use of analog buttons.

EDIT: beaten

Fantastic, my DS3 should be here end of this week, so then I can play with the rumblez.

mmafiend

Banned
jett said:
Yes, clearly Meryl died in MGS1, depsite being alive in MGS4. Clearly.

protip: Snake escaping with Meryl does not condemn Otacton to death, as Shadow Moses was ultimately NOT bombed. AND, there's a short exchange between Snake and Otacon in the Tanker chapter that hints that Meryl is very much alive. :p

watch this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5FMnEB6Oqk
snake see's meryl dead, whats going on ?? this if footage from mgs4

sniper wolf shot meryl, but that's not how she died if I remember it correctly

oh, and we did get a new location from the april fool surprise video, someone in the other thread suggest it might be Prague, he provide real life photo of the same exact building.

Ashhong

SMZC said:
Oh, I remember that. On that ending, Snake and Otacon were supposed to give themselves to the authorities in the US just before being executed because of their "crimes". As he's saying now, everybody in his team hated the idea.

are you joking? if not, spoiler that shit. the endings going in the same direction

Dante

MGS4 is much more of an open-world affair. While there are still specific locations that Snake will need to get to (which will constantly be indicated on Snake's mini-map), the environments that he finds himself in will provide multiple paths to get him to his eventual destination. This provides much more flexibility in how you fight your way through the battlefields that engulf MGS4.

From IGN.

Even more replayability :D

Doc Evils

Visually, Metal Gear Solid 4 is even more striking on the console than it has been in released trailers. We always had a sense that what Kojima was showing us was incredible footage, but the detail within the game itself is simply breathtaking. One example of this: when an explosion goes off near Snake, a fine coating of dust covers the camera, adding to the cinematic feel of the game. Another showcase of the striking graphics is the seamless transition between cutscenes and gameplay, many of which are only highlighted by a camera shift to indicate the cutscene has ended and gameplay has begun.

Another thing that stands out is the sound quality of the game, which is presented in Certified Dolby Digital Sound. The ambient battlefield noise provides a haunting backdrop to onscreen action, making you feel like just one part of a much larger conflict. The game's soundtrack is subtly shaded by local musical influences, as in the Middle East level, punctuated by a driving techno beat that builds when the guards become alerted to your presence and increases further if gunplay breaks out.

As I said earlier, there's only so much I can go into right now, but this is the system seller that we've all known Metal Gear Solid 4 was going to be. This preview has only scratched the surface; we haven't even described some of the bosses, radical and innovative game mechanics, or other features that make this title a fitting conclusion to one of the best franchises in gaming. As soon as we're able, we'll bring you more details on Metal Gear Solid 4, but for more information, check out our interview with Hideo Kojima here. And for new screens of the game, click on the gallery at the bottom of the page.

ALL OVER MY FACE YEAH!

As I said earlier, there's only so much I can go into right now, but this is the system seller that we've all known Metal Gear Solid 4 was going to be. This preview has only scratched the surface; we haven't even described some of the bosses, radical and innovative game mechanics, or other features that make this title a fitting conclusion to one of the best franchises in gaming.

Great to hear that they're still keeping a lot of stuff under wraps for this game. By the time previous MGS games were released we already knew all the mechanics in it. They seem to want people to be surprised by this game though.

Dante

I hope the boss info is embargoed till after the game launches, I don't know if I have the will power not to watch videos or read about em.

Mamesj

Banned
Ristlager said:
01050110.jpghttp:

"I'll take the case of defending the Playstation brand."

ps2-1354172

"Thank you, now I finally can retire"

Ps. this is my first image ever on this site, so if anything is wrong, please give me a notice before someone takes any actions...

:lol

You served us well all these years, best-character-model-ever guy.

and shit, it looks like my MGS4 info black out needs to start now.

Loudninja

These troops won't merely walk along simple patrol paths. They'll actively scan environments for trouble, communicating anything suspicious to their comrades and call in for backup, making them much more threatening than previous enemies Snake has faced.

:0

From the IGN Interview:

Hideo Kojima said:
PR-wise, I really don't want to say that this the final game or this is the wrap up, but if I don't say it, people will make me create MGS again! (laughs) So I have to say,
'Die, Snake,'
and really end it so I can move on to something else! (laughs) Actually, it's a game, so even
if Snake dies, the game can live on. We have to kill him at a certain point.

LOL! :lol

These metal monstrosities, which have dominated the previously released trailers of the game, can easily eliminate a platoon of men without showing a single scratch, and their agility at climbing walls, leaping barricades, and firing at individuals makes them a threat in both close combat and long range situations.

For those that were worried about how dangerous the Gekko's would be in MGS4. They sound like they're just as dangerous as they were shown to be in the trailers they debuted in.

Kinan

God, where to get enough willpower to ignore all those previews before 12 June!

IGN preview- wowowowow!

!

Loudninja

So much good info form IGN
This correlates to Snake's Stress Gauge -- if this mental exertion continues for prolonged periods of time, his Stress Gauge starts to spike. If it goes too high, Snake will immediately enter what's known as a Combat High, where he'll suddenly snap into a moment of heightened accuracy with a gun while shrugging off inflicted damage for a small period of time. Unfortunately, after a combat high, Snake will crash, bottoming out his stress and psyche gauges. This can harm Snake's health as well as leave him vulnerable to incoming attacks.

I did not know this.

AmMortal

Banned
some very interesting points made in this interview

like the whole
Drebin shop with actual real-life times, getting discounts on wednesdays and fridays

Kinan said:
God, where to get enough willpower to ignore all those previews before 12 June!

IGN preview- wowowowow!

!

Wow indeed. Even more impressive is that he's still only talking about the ME locations even though he beat the game. So he's obviously holding a lot of info back.

Erebus

From IGN's preview:

As I said earlier, there's only so much I can go into right now, but this is the system seller that we've all known Metal Gear Solid 4 was going to be

Like we didn't know!:D

Guled

What's more, you can even get more for your Drebin Points if you return to the shop on certain in-game "days," as Drebin will offer sales for Snake so he can get the best bang for his buck.
So there is time progression in game :D

Kinan

SolidSnakex said:
Wow indeed. Even more impressive is that he's still only talking about the ME locations even though he beat the game. So he's obviously holding a lot of info back.

Yea, seems they can talk only about already revealed location and characters. And they better stick to Kojima-san's orders! Or else..

01050268.jpg

...they'll pay...

Sykra

CowboyAstronaut said:
That's a 360 controller is it not?

Either way I wouldn't be surprised if they were using the 360 controller to do some testing on the PC.

white dualshock 3 (look at the analogs)

dkeane

OK I've seen enough. Game will be fuck amazing.
Time to go dark. Thank god I've got online beta to look forward to.

LowParry

Doc Evils said:
you mean a white dual shock 3.

Sorry. It was just the first impression of what I saw. It's a small pic. My eyes are still bleeding from all the MGS4 madness going on.

Top Bottom