• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan on Indies 'It was just good to talk about in 2013. It is less relevant now'

timberger

I rather have indies than this:

uinIRCu.jpg

Oh no, not trees!

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
I think that the knee jerk, and nuanced statements are both correct. Outside of the last night and a way out, most indie games can't really stand on their own two feet at a big conference at e3. It's just that people don't really care/want them (every ps+ thread) and indies don't make big splashes anymore since real games are now being released more regularly. Indie devs need to step it up and make us care again.

uinIRCu.jpg
I don't disageee that there is a slight sameness to sonys big exclusives, but sales figures and review scores show they sell better than "Metroidvania 4th wall smasher deluxe" indie game.

Seems a reasonable enough thing to say when you actually bother to read the article (Or even the full quote in the first post) and not just the thread title, as most posters here clearly have done... but then again, gaf will gaf so the OP deserves plenty of blame knowingly cooking up such a shitty thread title as well.

Yeah, by showing nothing but... uh... videogames?
They didn't show indie games, creating the narrative that they aren't the place for smaller experiences. They came out in opposition to cross-play, creating the narrative that they aren't interested in bringing players together.
They had damaging stories about backwards compatibility in the air, as they attempted to sell people on another re-release of Shadow of the Colossus.

Being 'For the players' is a narrative they established at the start of this gen, as the pro-consumer alternative to Microsoft's unpopular policies. Boosting awareness of indies and supporting things like used games. As sales rose on the back of this initiative, they're starting to betray it in favor of more corporate policies.

E92 M3

see5harp

I have been very vocal about how great ID@Xbox is. They are easily better than Sony in regards to indie outreach. When I announced my game for PS4, MS contacted me and had very great and kind things to say about my game and we had some fantastic discussions. With Sony it kind of feels more like I'm running uphill.

I thought the parity clause was making it impossible for you to not make your game.

Gator86

uinIRCu.jpg

Absolutely, why would Sony want to show off a promising new IP and some of the most well-regarded, best selling games and franchises in the industry, not available on other platforms, when they could show an indie sizzle reel.

fantomena

Playstation exclusives have a very "similar" feel. And denying it is just avoiding the truth.

As someone that LOVES Horizon, it is rather evident. I thought the zombie game was some kind of Last of Us prequel.

Well that "feel" you're talking about, has been some of the most critically acclaimed games, both by audience and by critics (reviewers) and they have apparently sold pretty good too. I mean, why would they otherwise keep making those "kinds" of games if they don't sell well enough?

Playstation exclusives have a very "similar" feel. And denying it is just avoiding the truth.

As someone that LOVES Horizon, it is rather evident. I thought the zombie game was some kind of Last of Us prequel.

(nature is my favorite part)

Denying it is avoiding the truth?

Holy shit post.

zenspider

To play devil's advocate, I almost think that Jim is saying that there isn't an indy market anymore. Thanks to crowdfunding and social media marketing, indy game budgets have ballooned to the point where they are unrecognizable from AAA games. And with digital releases being the primary game-delivery service for hardcore gamers, it's impossible to show off a game nowadays and say for sure what it is. The distinction is gone.

I suppose, but then why not show some trailers on stage like Microsoft did? I agree that for enthusiasts the distinction is becoming less meaningful - what's does it even mean to call A Way Out an indie game?

I'm particularly baffled by Undertale not being on stage. That's a pretty big deal, had a fun trailer, and would have played well with the crowd.

In truth I believe it has to do with the No Man's Sky backlash more than anything.

NastyBook

The relevance part is a bit callous, but I can't disagree about 20 indie titles in one sizzle reel. Made no sense, and only a few would stand out (Mother Russia Bleeds). I know I'm still mad as shit about Secret Ponchos, though. Holy SHIT, what a fucking turd.

uinIRCu.jpg
Disingenuous shitpost.

EDIT: I mean, seriously. Not only does this crap cherrypick games, it also cherrypicks scenes from within them. LMFAO!

(nature is my favorite part)
I can do the same for Nintendo games and that would be incredibly disrespectful to those games and how they play and the different characters and the people working on them.

E92 M3

I can do the same for Nintendo games and that would be incredibly disrespectful to those games and how they play and the different characters and the people working on them.

So I am not allowed to say anything negative? Yes, the games are all different, but they have striking similarities. Must we all agree on one thing?

The full quote is perfectly fine, especially in contrast to the stupid shit Jim has been saying this past week. The amount of people that failed to read passed the thread title is absolutely out of this World.

Lothars

So I am not allowed to say anything negative? Yes, the games are all different, but they have striking similarities. Must we all agree on one thing?
You can absolutely say something negative but you are always going to be called out for being as wrong as you are.

Gator86

We all agree that indie developers must be shown the proper respect and deference by a platform-holder currently dominating the market. Not doing so is a display of profound disrespect, and threatens the very viability of independent development.

E92 M3

You cherry picked specific pictures to try and push your narrative but by all means act like a victim

Nah, it seems like I am being attacked for thinking that all Playstation exclusives have a similar feel. I still play them, but they definitely have a similar core.

Just because some people on this forum think I am crazy, doesn't make it true.

We all agree that indie developers must be shown the proper respect and deference by a platform-holder currently dominating the market. Not doing so is a display of profound disrespect, and threatens the very viability of independent development.

Indeed and it seems like Xbox is catering to the indie developers a bit more right now. At the end of the day, I don't want arrogant Sony back.

Nah, it seems like I am being attacked for thinking that all Playstation exclusives have a similar feel. I still play them, but they definitely have a similar core.

You literally said: "denying it is avoiding the truth."

And now you're acting like a victim for having a different opinion. Fucking LOL.

fantomena

Does all SP only games feel the same to you? Have you played David Cage games? Bloodborne? Gravity Rush? Yakuza? Persona? Resogun? Nioh?

E92 M3

Don't even know who you are never seen you and I'm never been called out for shitposting so keep it going

Just because you don't agree with something doesn't make it a shitpost.

"I don't like your opinion and therefore it's a shitpost."

Calling something a shitpost is just trying to shutdown a discussion you don't like.

Either way, we are veering off topic. Sony needs to work with indie developers more in my opinion.

Does all SP only games feel the same to you? Have you played David Cage games? Bloodborne? Gravity Rush? Yakuza? Persona? Resogun? Nioh?

Yes, of course all souls games are similar, but I also love them all. Just because something is similar doesn't make it bad.

The Sony games aren't bad.

Top Bottom