• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan on Indies 'It was just good to talk about in 2013. It is less relevant now'

Nah, it seems like I am being attacked for thinking that all Playstation exclusives have a similar feel. I still play them, but they definitely have a similar core.

Just because some people on this forum think I am crazy, doesn't make it true.

Indeed and it seems like Xbox is catering to the indie developers a bit more right now. At the end of the day, I don't want arrogant Sony back.
Aren't you the one that suggested only you're way of looking at is is "the truth"?

Novocaine

9SqPwd0.png

Brutal

Nah, it seems like I am being attacked for thinking that all Playstation exclusives have a similar feel. I still play them, but they definitely have a similar core.

All exclusives is too far. Look at stuff like Yakuza, Nier, Nioh alone this year. They couldn't be more apart.
But there is definitely a subset of TLOU-inspired games that nowadays just make me snooze.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
So what you're saying is there's a chance CSD2 is heading to Xbox One X?

There's always a chance, can't really discuss anything further. I've always said that having my personal preference of console shouldn't matter when making games, because that's extremely petty.

I thought the parity clause was making it impossible for you to not make your game.

It did when I originally intended to release it. I haven't been keeping up with the policies now but I hope they've changed when I get to the console versions later this year.

jackal27

Banned
What the hell? Seriously?

I get more excited to see what indie games are coming to consoles than I do for most of the AAA stuff! It was the reason why I enjoyed Microsoft's conference so much more this year! Indies aren't just indie games anymore, they're the next wave of game developers and they're starting to make stuff that even competes with these AAA releases.

Like, I know this dude is an idiot and shouldn't be doing interviews or whatever, but I really hope this attitude isn't pervasive elsewhere at Sony.

E92 M3

Aren't you the one that suggested only you're way of looking at is is "the truth"?

It is the truth that a lot of games have similar inspirations. How is it not?

All exclusives is too far. Look at stuff like Yakuza, Nier, Nioh alone this year. They couldn't be more apart.
But there is definitely a subset of TLOU-inspired games that nowadays just make me snooze.

Exactly, you know what I mean.

test_account

XP-39C²
So the guy said that they focus on other things instead of indies in the press conferenace, even leaving out stuff like Gran Turismo, but still say that indies are important to them. Yet this becomes a big issue due to misunderstanding. No wonder theres many conflicts around the world.

fantomena

Sony needs to work with indie developers more in my opinion.

How do you know they need to work with indie devs more? PS4 has multiple times been called Indiestation 4 because of the heavy magnitude of indie games that are releasing.

Yes of course they're reaching out to devs can be better. However, just because they didn't show a big indie reel at their E3 conf doesn't mean Sony has stopped caring about them. They apparently worked pretty hard to get Undertale on PS4/Vita.

zenspider

I can do the same for Nintendo games and that would be incredibly disrespectful to those games and how they play and the different characters and the people working on them.

They were talking about this on the Waypoint podcast - it's not a knock on the games themselves, it's that they are all presented very similarly. They referred to it as Sony's "house style", and personally I think it's compelling, but I do think that Days Gone in particular covers so much of the Vin diagram of Sony's AAA exclusive portfolio that it muddies the bigger picture at a glance.

E92 M3

How do you know they need to work with indie devs more? PS4 has multiple times been called Indiestation 4 because of the heavy magnitude of indie games that are releasing their.

Yes of course they're reaching out to devs can be better. However, just because they didn't show a big indie reel at their E3 conf doesn't mean Sony has stopped caring about them. They apparently worked pretty hard to get Undertale on PS4/Vita.

Well, I only go by what I see. E3 is the best way to spread the "company message" and it seems like MS is more friendly with indies.

Apologies if this has been said already (the Console Warz stuff is making the thread hard to read through), but I strongly disagree with Ryan's idea that indies don't benefit even from very brief video showings. One of the hardest things for any indie game is marketing, getting the word out there, and even 20 seconds in front of that enormous audience watching E3 can be a huge deal. It's obviously not the exact same thing, but companies spend literally millions of dollars on 30 second ads for the Superbowl. Awareness of a product matters, and even a little can help.

cireza

Indy games were great when we did not have any games, but now we have VR to sell, so indy games can go back home.

fantomena

seems like MS is more friendly with indies.

Because they didn't have enough first party to show, so they asked third party and indie devs for help to fill their conf?

Also, I don't like the word "seems", like there's nothing to back it up, just feelings.

Navid

Nothing wrong with what he is saying, just a terrible thread title...

It makes sense that at this point if you can't dedicate the time to show off a indie game off well you might as well not have a bunch of them in a 10 game 60sec show reel where all you get is a title and a moment of footage.

Fredrik

Indeed and it seems like Xbox is catering to the indie developers a bit more right now. At the end of the day, I don't want arrogant Sony back.
They're just using the same third person perspective. Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted 4, Days Gone are completely different games in every other way. Saying they're the same is like saying Halo, Metroid Prime and Skyrim are the same games.

I agree with your point that indie games definitely have an important place on the platform though. Resogun was my favorite PS4 game until The Witness arrived. Ori is still my favorite MS exclusive. Indies are super-important and should be given the prime time spot at these events.

Gestault

On a serious point, I think part of the value of having indie titles on-stage for events like E3 is that they have divergent art styles, partly just from practical limitations and partly because of the flexibility you get in a lower-stakes budget environment.

As much as I think you can make a shit-post out of this comment, I think saying that Sony's tentpole first-party games have had their art styles converge in the current gen has a firm basis in reality. It's little to do with cherry-picking scenes; the combination of landing on a successful range of rendering tech matched to the platform and shared studio talent has made a lot of games feel familiar (even when they offer very different experiences in gameplay). It also means some of the most beautiful results in the business.

And to be fair, Jennetics trying to make an exagerrated counter-point to E92 M3, I literally though the third pic was from Uncharted 4.

Tratorn

I know he's talking some shit the last days, but taking something out of context like this isn't fair either.

And one of the things you didn't really show were indie games. You didn't really show any last year, either. Now clearly indie games are coming to PS4 all the time. So why aren't you showing them anymore?

One of the things we have realised is that these video collages of ten indie games shown in a minute, is almost meaningless. Nobody can really learn anything about the games in that sort of time. It is almost viewed as wasted time.

There was a time and a place, in the early stages of the life of PS4, to make statements. It was more about making a statement that we are serious about the indies, and that we are doing this and that with the indies. No Man's Sky and so on and so forth, which broke out from that and carved its own niche. You know, right now, we have tonnes of indie content on the platform. And the fact that we elected, along with many other things such as Gran Turismo and PlayLink, not to give it its own spot on the stage this week, in no way means it is not important, or it is not there, or we don't worry about it. It was just good to talk about in 2013/2014. It is less relevant now. We have VR to talk about now, for example.

That's understandable and a perfectly fine answer.

zeexlash

He's basically saying 'we made our point' when it comes to indies. Microsoft has too, they just showed a couple of indie games among others at E3 rather than a reel.

Also that 'PlayStation Exclusive Template' image is beyond salty.. :p

Are people really freaking out about this? He's talking about how showing indies in a press conference isn't necessary anymore because it doesn't show benefit the games to show them off in 30 second chunks. It was important in 2013 because they were showing people they would games that often would only show up on PC.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Are people really freaking out about this? He's talking about how showing indies in a press conference isn't necessary anymore because it doesn't show benefit the games to show them off in 30 second chunks. It was important in 2013 because they were showing people they would games that often would only show up on PC.

only people who can't read beyond the thread title :)

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
If you don't read the article: "that's a shit thing to say about indies"

If you do read the article: "digging real deep for those pot-shots, I see"

I rather have indies than this:

uinIRCu.jpg
Uncharted is set in a jungle
God of War is set in Scandinavia
The Last of Us is mostly set in urban environments
Horizon features a vast desert and a jungle area
Days Gone is the only one that seems a bit too similar to The Last of Us, but I'm willing to hold off on forming an opinion until I play it.

The only similar things these games share is that they're third person and feature great characters and stories (with God of War and Days Gone still up in the air on story/characters)

jph139

Dedicating a minute or two to show the variety and creativity of indie games - even if you're just showing a brief snippet of footage - is never a waste of time. Completely wrongheaded approach to a platform.

Neither Sony nor Nintendo gave any time to their indies this year and that's a damn shame.

Nanashrew

Banned
The full quote seems fine? But man, they could have used some indies to break up the E3 repeats they showed. Their E3 was really dull. Apparently they had better stuff shown during their Playstation Live thing, even Japanese games like Gundam Versus, which could have used some stage presence to get some hype going about that game.

Top Bottom