• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

jimmy johns, best sandwich chain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bro1

Banned
First of all, it's a Hoagie. Not a sub, not a sandwich, it's a goddamn Hoagie.

Any corner pizza shop in Philly/NJ/NY blows any of these chains out of the water. Hell, WaWa makes a better hoagie than these places.
Subway- garbage
Jimmy Johns- trash
Jersey Mike's-garbage mixed with trash

The bread they serve is awful. No crust and no chew to it.

Meier

I actually had no clue Jason's Deli was more than a local Austin thing before this thread. I've never actually even seen one, but I've heard them referenced and my fiancee has used one to cater at her work before.

gimmmick

capriottislogo.jpg

bro1

Banned
Primo Hoagies in the Philly area is God tier and beats out Jimmy John's, IMHO.

Great stuff! There are tons of places in philly and the burbs that make great hoagies.

I'm down south now and would kill for a decent hoagie. All I get is wonder bread slathered with miracle whip and oscar myer meat.

*waits for the inevitable "I ONLY GET MY SANDWICHES FROM THIS OBSCURE LOCAL MOM AND POP STORE" post.*

Any corner pizza shop in Philly/NJ/NY blows any of these chains out of the water. Hell, WaWa makes a better hoagie than these places.
Subway- garbage
Jimmy Johns- trash
Jersey Mike's-garbage mixed with trash

The bread they serve is awful. No crust and no chew to it.

Took till page 3. I'm surprised.

I'd rank Jimmy John's a bit higher if they actually delivered to my house. I know other places don't deliver at all, but knowing that I'm just outside their area leaves me embittered.

Otherwise, I have to give the nod to Firehouse. Delicious hot subs with the Coke Freestyle machine? Hell yeah. Have only had Jason's Deli once and wasn't too impressed. McAlisters is awesome for their sweet tea and Rubens. Great hangover food.

First of all, it's a sandwich chain thread. Not a local corner pizza shop in Philly/NJ/NY thread, not a WaWa thread, it's a goddamn sandwich chain thread.

I never heard of JJ's but the sandwich in the OP doesn't look at that great or special.

I understand that looks aren't everything though.

Meier

I heard a lot of people like the subs at Publix

Publix Subs are unquestionably the best cold sub. Nothing comes close. Nice price for a foot long too. So glad that Boar's Head has expanded its reach so much over the years.. I can't get a Publix sub, but at least I can get the same kind of meat.

I can't wait to go home for Christmas to eat at Publix. And to get presents. Oh and to see my family.

DHsgP.jpg

Anybody here with these sandwich shops in their area? I heard about them a while back but didn't get to try them out until last year. A lot of people I know have never tried or heard of them. They seriously make the best sandwiches I've ever had. I don't think it is possible to make one taste better. Just wondering if anybody here has them in their area. I know they are still sorta small. http://www.jimmyjohns.com/homepage.aspx

what I usually get. turkey sandwich with avocado and I ask for bacon on it.

TN3NK.jpg

you have a strange way of spelling

ibsJfeGsczgy1u.jpg

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
there's a place called Baldinos Giant Jersey Subs in Georgia that obliterates all the competition in the state. Especially jimmy johns. It's a lot like Jersey Mikes but the hot subs are so much better.

I find I get better subs from a supermarket than I could get at the quiznos, subway, jimmy johns or whatever. Shurfine, Wegmann's, Safeway, Tops/Giant, you name it.

Jimmy John's is the best drunk food, they are on almost every college campus. Order one on my walk back to my place every time I go out, and they get to my place within a few minutes of me arriving, always hits the spot. Italian Night Club with extra avocado is where its at.

Curtisaur

Forum Landmine
I had no idea that people were so in love with Jimmy John's. I thought it was "well shit I'm broke, and have no gas so I can't go get a combo meal from McDonald's, and there is nothing in the fridge or pantry, and the mouse shit in the cabinet under the sink has already been cleaned up so... I guess I'll order Jimmy John's for delivery" sort of situation.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I had no idea that people were so in love with Jimmy John's. I thought it was "well shit I'm broke, and have no gas so I can't go get a combo meal from McDonald's, and there is nothing in the fridge or pantry, and the mouse shit in the cabinet under the sink has already been cleaned up so... I guess I'll order Jimmy John's for delivery" sort of situation.

this thread is going to cause me to die

Okay, now it's just straight up trolling.

Sandwiches from Safeway? Are you kidding me?

And someone with an MST3K handle no less...
No, I'm not trolling.
They make there own right in front of me. Sometimes, they head over to the deli and slice the meat right there as well if they run out...or get a tomato from the produce section. It's fucking ace, it's fucking fresh, which is more than you can say with the deli chains. Chain super markets are the way to go if they have a sandwich station cause if they have a sandwich station then they probably make their own bread, have a produce section and have a deli section.

And don't you drag ms3tk into this. What did Joel Hodgson ever do you to you?

No, I'm not trolling.
They make there own right in front of me. Sometimes, they head over to the deli and slice the meat right there as well if they run out...or get a tomato from the produce section. It's fucking ace, it's fucking fresh, which is more than you can say with the deli chains. Chain super markets are the way to go if they have a sandwich station cause if they have a sandwich station then they probably make their own bread, have a produce section and have a deli section.

And don't you drag ms3tk into this. What did Joel Hodgson ever do you to you?

I don't know why people are so shocked.

I'd expect a grocery store to sell ingredients that are as fresh or fresher than a sandwich shop.

In the end.. it's just a sandwich.. sandwiches are basically at the whim of their ingredients.. there aren't techniques or cooking times or anything to screw up.

Haven't been to JJ yet, but I vote Jim's Steakout. Only a local chain in Buffalo but there are enough Buffalo members here for at least one person to agree.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
No, I'm not trolling.
They make there own right in front of me. Sometimes, they head over to the deli and slice the meat right there as well if they run out...or get a tomato from the produce section. It's fucking ace, it's fucking fresh, which is more than you can say with the deli chains.
At JJ we had the vegetables delivered in the morning directly from the partnered farms and sliced them up fresh before opening. We also sliced the meat fresh and after preparing the packs they would never be in the fridge longer than a day, but most of them would be gone within hours. We also baked the bread fresh throughout the day and never made a sandwich with bread that was older than 5 hours.

No chain beats JJ in freshness. You might like Potbelly more and I can understand the preference for the different style, but JJ is fresher, way faster, more filling, and everything in it is natural and it's obvious in the flavor.

The bread looks terribad in all these American chains.
A lot of Americans hate crust. They want to pound their food down quickly and not be hassled too much by chewing. I would agree that this isn't healthy, but it is very American. I would appreciate better quality bread because I eat more slowly, but most people don't. We would often get requests for the more lightly-baked loaves, but never the crustier ones.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Since they got rid of the alfalfa sprouts I havnt been back.
THEY WHHAAAAAAAAT?!?! I haven't eaten there since I stopped working there since I ate there at least 3 times a week for 3 years and now I generally don't eat at restaurants at all.

Man, that's really sad to hear.

These guys make the Unwich, which guarantees them a spot on my list of favorite places to eat. A low-carb dieter's dream sandwich right there.

ToD_

I like Pastoral in Chicago. They use quality bread and cheese. Yes, bread with crust that you need to chew on. It's very expensive, though.

What? It's still listed on their menu.

See this story:

I liked their veggie sub.

Last time I ordered.. they didn't put the sprouts on it.

I asked them for sprouts, and they told me they were discontinued in February.

Funny, because the menu at the store, and on their website, still lists them as an ingredient on the sandwich.

Annoyed me.

It's honestly.. not really legal of them to do.

And really weird that the company discontinued sprouts in Februrary supposedly (according to the JJ employees I spoke to), and still list it as an ingredient.

It's the MAIN ingredient of the sandwich.. and when I ordered it, instead of informing me that I would not be getting the sandwich I ordered.. they made it for me, then acted shocked when I told them there were no sprouts on my sandwich.... like I was supposed to have gotten some memo or something, as opposed to them being aware that their menu is blatantly wrong.

For all those complaining about the sprouts, the reason they got rid of them is because they're salmonella magnets.

And listing an ingredient on a sandwich, not including that ingredient and not informing your customer that they won't be getting that ingredient is a "Hey fuck you, I want my money back" magnet.

Being a bit dramatic, but it is pretty lame of them not to update their menus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom