• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

jimmy johns, best sandwich chain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had great Jersey Mike's and really bad Jersey Mike's.

All sandwiches boil down to quality control of the ingredients.. any instance of a chain can fail at that unfortunately.

gcubed

jimmy johns is great... if you are drunk... and in the middle of nowhere in the midwest... and really really desperate... but not as desperate as you would be to eat at subway

Cr0wn0

JJ is my goto place if I need a quick bite, I also really like that you can get all the sandwiches wrapped in lettuce instead of bread. I had jersey mike's a few weeks ago and it was good. If I had one closer to my house I would probably go more often. I love firehouse but its more about the sauces, especially the house sauce they have. Jimmy johns pisses me off with delivery areas, I live 2.2 miles from them and they wont deliver to my house.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
And listing an ingredient on a sandwich, not including that ingredient and not informing your customer that they won't be getting that ingredient is a "Hey fuck you, I want my money back" magnet.

Being a bit dramatic, but it is pretty lame of them not to update their menus.
Everyone who met Jimmy said he's an asshole.

lush

Never tried Jimmy Johns. Used to eat at Firehouse Subs every once in a while because it was right next to my place of employment/they had a TV/and it had that drink machine. Then one day I ate at Penn Station which is also nearby, I never looked back. The subs, the fries, so good. Kind of pricy though.

dvdjamm

http://www.primedip.com/

Prime_Dip_Lobster_SteveS_01-thumb-300xauto-4520.jpg

EYEL1NER

All other answers are invalid.
Except Firehouse is primarily hot subs and in a league of their own.
I said in my post earlier Firehouse for hot and JJ for cold. I think hot or cold subs are different enough to not be lumped together.

Oni Jazar

Publix Subs are unquestionably the best cold sub. Nothing comes close. Nice price for a foot long too. So glad that Boar's Head has expanded its reach so much over the years.. I can't get a Publix sub, but at least I can get the same kind of meat.

I can't wait to go home for Christmas to eat at Publix. And to get presents. Oh and to see my family.

You can not beat Publix subs for cold cuts. They are GLORIOUS!

rIkXB.jpg

I haven't been to Jimmy Johns ever, but then again I'm not a major sandwich fan. When I want to get a sandwich, I usually go to Which Wich or The Great Outdoors. They're both local chains in the North Texas area, though the latter chain's a lot older and has the lesser sandwiches. I just go to the GO because of the '70s atmosphere of most of its locations. Which Wich is more cosmopolitan, and puts out some great stuff. Newspapers everywhere to read.

I actually really dislike Jimmy John's. Not sure if it counts but the sub shop at a Wegmans store is my favorite. Potbellys is okay.

Your taste is awful, mine is great!

I actually like JJ's. They have some good subs and I think it's better than Sunway. They sell day-old loafs for 50 cent. I'll pick one up and make a sandwhich at home later sometimes. They have the kind of bread I like better as it gets older.

Recarpo

I don't get the love. Get so much better at random delis and Publix supermarkets. Jimmy Johns is so meh, and one of the weakest selections of choices. They are fast because of the lack of options.

Publix Subs are unquestionably the best cold sub. Nothing comes close. Nice price for a foot long too. So glad that Boar's Head has expanded its reach so much over the years.. I can't get a Publix sub, but at least I can get the same kind of meat.

I can't wait to go home for Christmas to eat at Publix. And to get presents. Oh and to see my family.

Your priorities closely reflect mine.

forrest

formerly nacire
I gotta agree with the folks suggesting Publix. Damn fine sandwiches, hoagies, subs, grinders, or whatever the fuck you want to call them.

Jimmy Johns is awesome, and now I want it. I also enjoy Jersey Mikes, Potbellies, Quiznos (which is no longer anywhere around here), Penn Station, and DiBellas.

Am I the only one around here who has a DiBellas? They've exploded in my area recently, and you will be in for a real treat with them.

Either way, I can't pick a favorite sub shop. All the ones I listed are good, and provide something different. I just find it very hard to end up at Subway. I have a a few gift cards for there that I've had for years.

rCIZZLE

Used to eat at Jimmy Johns all the time when I was in the city. Every component of the sandwich felt like an upgrade over Subway.

I've never had a Jimmy Johns but there is one fairly close to me. I reckon I'll have to change that. Love a good cold sandwich.

Vyer

Jimmy Johns are decent, but fairly bland/plain for the cost. They are very consistent and very fast though. I'll usually stop by if I'm in a hurry. Otherwise Which Wich or Firehouse are much tastier.

mooooose

Wegmans has great subs in a pinch. Subway is fast food but at least a good tasting and healthy ish alternative (depending on what you get, you can go to Subway and eat like shit).

Deli sub will always rain king. Sometimes on my way to therapy I stop at this great deli and get a sandwich. I would today but I just bought some cold cuts yesterday anyway.

I have both Jimmy Johns and Subways near by. I lean towards Subway , maybe because I can have it "My Way" everything on it and yes Jalapenos.

0jIC3.jpg

Cheech

I'd never actually ordered an Unwich before, just looked it up.

KodFi.gif

That is some clever stuff

They're good, but unless you are really, really tightly controlling your carb intake, the whole grain bread is worth it. Has a very pleasant, nutty taste and the crust is like candy. Just amazing.

The french bread is equally as good, but I'm trying to lose weight, so can't go there right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom