• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jimquisition: Weapon Durability, Fanbase Fragility (Mar. 13th, 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
To what end?

Ah, I see, you guys don't think the 7/10 is not genuine because you perceived Jim as bias. Got it.

That the person stating FFXV should have been reviewed more harshly is the same person having a seizure of BotW getting a 7. It has nothing to do with any assumption about Jim having a bias - he gave Hyrule Warriors like a 9.

massoluk

Banned
It is a bummer that BOTW got dropped from 98%, but come on, there are literally a couple of games in existence with a better overall scores than it. Let it go, you crazed fan, it still outshines 99.99% of the games ever released.

Parapraxis

To make/win a point on an internet forum? The original poster collated the views of two different people and created a strawman whose argument could easily be disposed of.

Seems he used "gamers" in general, i'm not saying it's right, or logical, but I doubt those were direct quotes.

At this point, I hope at least some of the remaining reviewers score BOTW high enough to bring it back to 98 - maybe that will stop all this needless bickering.

Nah, probably not :)

Seems he used "gamers" in general, i'm not saying it's right, or logical, but I doubt those were direct quotes.

Yes, the fictional man was both made of straw and spouted a couple of fictional viewpoints, which may or may not have been made by different actual people at different times.

He makes a point that "forced" variety is not really actual variety. Variety is actually being able to approach a game, or certain situations in different ways without the game essentially telling you that's the wrong way to play. Variety is when the same game allows you to go through the game belting the shit out of enemies with the same weapon or going nuts with switching back and forth between a multitude of weapons and instruments. Basically, there are far more enjoyable, positive ways of drawing attention to the variety your game offers without the interruptive, repetitive weapon durability that BOTW applies..

Watch Videogamedunkey video on YouTube if you want to see combat variety. It seems to me some people just don't like getting out of there comfort zone and trying new things. The physics system allows creative ways in handling combat situations. And the weapon durability system is used in order to have the player experiment which is Breath of the Wild's main focus, to explore and experiment.

But I get it that no matter what you do in explaining why Weapon Durability is necessary in BOTW and actually intuitive for creativity in combat situations. People will still dislike it because some people just don't like weapon durability no matter what even if its implemented well.

He makes a point that "forced" variety is not really actual variety. Variety is actually being able to approach a game, or certain situations in different ways without the game essentially telling you that's the wrong way to play. Variety is when the same game allows you to go through the game belting the shit out of enemies with the same weapon or going nuts with switching back and forth between a multitude of weapons and instruments. Basically, there are far more enjoyable, positive ways of drawing attention to the variety your game offers without the interruptive, repetitive weapon durability that BOTW applies..

That argument doesn't wash. Of course, it's still variety. Forcing you to eat a bowl of assorted candies still offers more variety than forcing you eat a bowl of green M&Ms. You (and Jim) seem to have a problem with the forced bit--but show me a game that places no limitations on player freedom and I'll show you one boring ass game. The question is whether the limitation adds something to the game; I think it does but you're welcome to disagree.

As for the "far more enjoyable, positive ways" you mentioned, what are they? Give me a good example of a game whose enemies are balanced for button-mashing and creative combat equally. Because from what I understand, the majority of players tend to follow the path of least resistance--opting for the cheapest, least imaginative tactic to cheese through a game, even when doing so reduces the experience to a frustrating slog, and even when using even an ounce more creativity would yield exponentially greater enjoyment.

Vanquish being the prime example--another game that Jim dinged after playing it in a self-defeating manner.

I hope at least some of the remaining reviewers score BOTW high enough to bring it back to 98

so Jim's review would have prevented it from becoming 99.

WsC4R.png

Parapraxis

Yes, the fictional man was both made of straw and spouted a couple of fictional viewpoints, which may or may not have been made by different actual people at different times.

Yeah the strawmen is irrelevant either way.

In the end we should all be trying to discourage people from losing their shit over a damn 7/10, it's embarrassing.

Soul_Pie

Like using Magnesis on a metal box and smashing enemies.
Like throwing a bomb and destroying explosive barrels to blow up enemies.
Like waiting until night and stealing enemy weapons without starting combat.

These are all fantastic things, and the game does often reward players who approach situations creatively. I love those aspects personally and I think the game is truly richer for these options.

However, that doesn't mean you to gimp the experience for those who mostly like to hack their way through enemies if that's what they like. Or if they want to just cut down a small forest with a woodcutter's axe.

In any case, a point you made really gets to part of the issue that was brought up in the video. Why should I go to the trouble of waiting until night and stealing enemy weapons when they're just going to be the same, fragile crap that I've picked up countless times. The weapon degradation often leads to situations where the rewards for actually engaging in combat, or even exploring just don't match up with the effort on behalf of the player.

Formless

After 70 hours the game is starting to get more repetitive. But I mean, it took me that long to notice.

Once I wasn't finding shrines everywhere, the game obviously slowed down. I've seen almost every place, and I'm waiting to jump into my first divine beast.

I think with this game you have to let yourself suffer through some times of low inventory. Now I have pretty much no problem maintaining a set of awesome weapons just because stronger weapons last longer and I know where to find them.

I don't think you're supposed to be too attached to your inventory in the game, but I can see why most people (and games) value keeping your stuff. If you can let go of that, the game is way more fun. One of the best pieces of the game forces you to not use most of your stuff and it's great. Nothing in the game explicitly tells you this and I can see people getting frustrated.

Traversal is sort of the same. For a while I'd assumed that if you had a horse out in the field, you had to call that back to the stable before getting another (not the case). If you don't really know or notice how the game highlights points of interest then climbing can be really dull. Stamina prevents you from taking the shortest path.

I guess in short the game constantly challenges you subtly and if you can't think of a workaround within your patience limit it's not gonna be fun.

However, that doesn't mean you to gimp the experience for those who mostly like to hack their way through enemies if that's what they like. Or if they want to just cut down a small forest with a woodcutter's axe.

Yes, it does mean that because no game can be all things to all people. There are plenty of games that cater to players that like to hack their way through enemies. Dynasty Warriors, for example.

urge26

Not a Zelda fan, not a Nintendo fan. But come on... I think anyone who's played this game can see how special it is. Weapon durability? I mean I don't disagree on some of the points brought up, but there's weapons everywhere. And I absolutely like how I've been forced to change up all play styles, I'm the guy when finding the awesome weapon will just use that entirely. I disagree completely, 7/10 is a hey look at me review (imo).

daman824

Jim made a decent stink over Zelda "forcing" him to play a certain way.

That's a horrible argument. Every single game ever made "forces" you to playa certain way. Zelda botw at least moves as far away from that as possible. I see jim's complaint, and then I watch dunkeys video, and I just don't understand.

damn, where was all this outrage when Jim gave TLG a 6/10?

not that I'm surprised. At least on gaf, I would say Zelda is the one fanbase that trumps the Uncharted fanbase in terms of toxicity, and that's one hell of an accomplishment.

Haha yeah, just realized that he gave TLG a 6/10. It was my 2nd GOTY in 2016.

But he gave Nioh a 10/10 last month. It seems that our taste is somewhat complicated.

Based on the fps issues alone this game imo should score around 8.5/10. No higher. If the game was stable then I can see a 9.5/10. But as of now bad (imo) weapon system and fps issues drag the game down to 7.5/10. So I agree with Jim sterling.

Yeah the strawmen is irrelevant either way.

In the end we should all be trying to discourage people from losing their shit over a damn 7/10, it's embarrassing.

It was relevant enough a couple of minutes ago for you to incorrectly call it out. And kindly refrain from telling me what we should 'all' be trying to do. I think we should all recognize that paying $500+ a day for botnets is never representative of some sort of grassroots sentiment.

Crayolan

Ehh, can't agree with Jim at all on the weapon durability complaints. He says the game is full of weapons too good to use but that statement contradicts itself--if the game is full of these weapons, in reality they're actually not too good, are they? Especially in the later game, you're constantly getting really powerful stuff and by that time you should know when it's time to bring out the big guns.

The ranting portion was surprisingly reserved for Jim.

Parapraxis

It was relevant enough a couple of minutes ago for you to incorrectly call it out. And kindly refrain from telling me what we should 'all' be trying to do. I think we should all recognize that paying $500+ a day for botnets is never representative of some sort of grassroots sentiment.

"inocrrectly" (lol) calling it out? I don't think the strawman is a good argument tactic, but I could see where the original poster was coming from, he sees a hypocrisy among gamers in general, it's not really that hard a concept to understand.

If you think it's reasonable for people to be flipping out over a 7/10 then I don't know what to tell you, I fully agree with that score, and Jim makes a lot of points that I would. 7/10 is a good score, BotW is a good game. I don't think it's as amazing as most people, but I have a right to my opinion, and so does Jim.

I think if anybody should "kindly refrain" from doing something, it's the people defending others being total idiots over a 7/10. Me saying we should discourage shitty behavior is just too much I suppose.

ameleco

I've never had a problem with durability. I mostly at this point have a problem with throwing away weapons I don't use and I keep getting more good ones. So, I actually have the opposite problem where I can't use a weapon enough to get it to break in the first place. I guess it's because I explore almost everything and am not going through the main story fast at all.

Branduil

I almost feel like a majority of the complaints about weapon durability would disappear if they just renamed weapons to "Melee bullets."

It's nice to be "forced" not to care about weapons or get too attached, and just use them all trying out some unique ones, they are easy to find as well, it's a simple system, and interesting

Aenima

I agree with his TLG review.

I dont. TLG is a masterpiece even with his small flaws, its a unique and amazing experience. I also dont agree with Nioh being a 10/10, its a great game but to me both Nioh and TLG are 9/10 games, But TLG gets a Masterpiece stamp cuz its a game that will be remembered for many years to come.

Soul_Pie

That argument doesn't wash. Of course, it's still variety. Forcing you to eat a bowl of assorted candies still offers more variety than forcing you eat a bowl of green M&Ms. You (and Jim) seem to have a problem with the forced bit--but show me a game that places no limitations on player freedom and I'll show you one boring ass game. The question is whether the limitation adds something to the game; I think it does but you're welcome to disagree.

As for the "far more enjoyable, positive ways" you mentioned, what are they? Give me a good example of a game whose enemies are balanced for button-mashing and creative combat equally. Because from what I understand, the majority of players tend to follow the path of least resistance--opting for the cheapest, least imaginative tactic to cheese through a game, even when doing so reduces the experience to a frustrating slog, and even when using even an ounce more creativity would yield exponentially greater enjoyment.

Vanquish being the prime example--another game that Jim dinged after playing it in a self-defeating manner.

I'm not talking about button mashing per se, Zelda games have never really been like that and a lot of enemies in the past required you to apply variety through more subtle ways like being weak against certain weapons. If you want to predominantly play with a sword or similar weapon, you still should have to play smart, same as most Zeldas of the past or any decent action game.

And yeah, I even think it should put you at a disadvantage compared to those who mix it up and are resourceful, but that should be achieved through enemy variety and intelligence. (for instance flying enemies being far harder to take down using conventional means, heavily amoured enemies being extremely difficult to beat using your average sword, faster enemies harder against slow moving weapons etc etc.

The issue I have with the degradation system is that it really has a huge effect on the flow of combat, to the point where it feels like you spend a lot of your time going through menus. This exacerbates another issue I have with the game which is inventory management which just feels cumbersome.

One of the things I find legitimately funny about Jim's videos is the footage of a game that's completely different/unrelated to the one he's currently talking about. What's the name of that crappy-looking game he shows footage of? You know, the one with the bald person wearing a bikini killing what appears to be... zombies? I was very amused throughout.

En-ou

Are Nintendo fanboys the most insecure of all gaming fanboys? I can't think of another.
No, Zelda haters are, it seems. The weapon system is a non issue aside from some QA stuff. Either you like the style or you don't. But nothing is broken. The 50+ perfect score reviews clearly prove it. Someone complaining about it either do not enjoy the mechanic or simply hating. That's all there is to it. Game of the generation material, boys. Accept it.

En-ou

The solution is simple:

when weapons durability hits 0 they become unusable and NOT auto break, if i dont want that weapon, I'll throw it at the enemies to break it, and if i want to fix my 0 durability weapons i go back to blacksmith to do so, stronger weapons should cost more to get repaired.

I don't know why they didn't do that.
Because you can simply get another brand new one??? What's the point of repairing? Wow. You will notice that certain weapons that cannot respawn the game has repair for it. Do you have the game? Maybe you haven't gotten that far yet.

Bluth54

At this point, I hope at least some of the remaining reviewers score BOTW high enough to bring it back to 98 - maybe that will stop all this needless bickering.

Nah, probably not :)

Or you could just stop caring about the BotW metacritc average. Believe me, you'll be much happier.

pringles

but how about making the repairing costs alot of rupees depending on how strong the weapons is? that way people won't simply go back every time and repair their fav weapons and use it again, they will think about the next time they are using their favorite weapons and when, instead of having it auto breaking soo quick and go all the way trying to find another same weapon, it's just another option with equal cost that will not ruin anything, it will just make you feel better and more immersed.

Strong weapon broke? you can keep it but not use it till you pay ALOT of rupees to get it fixed OR go find another same weapon with new durability, your choice.

just Don't auto break, be unusable and if i want to break it I'll just throw it at the enemies.
Personally I think that would be an in-game economy extremely difficult to balance. Any examples of games doing it this way? What you'd likely end up with would be people hoarding and spending time trying to farm rupees to cover repairs and very few, likely non-existant instances of people actually opting to throw away their weapons.
I get that you want to find a middle-ground on the durability mechanic but it's not easy to find which is likely why most games opt for a durability mechanic that is little more than a minor nuisance. The way BotW goes all-in on the mechanic is like a breath of fresh air to me. Finally I'm using my inventory, not just hoarding. Finally I'm using all weapon types and all tools at my disposal. And even "bad" weapons still has their uses 50+ hours in!
This SHOULD be influential but I fear the backlash will lead to a continuing trend of absolutely meaningless durability mechanics.

En-ou

It is? lol I wish the game told me this.
You will notice one major theme of the game is player discovery. They intentionally do not tell you many things. This mantra permeates the whole game. They want the player to experiment. I learned this from their GDC presentation.

This is not your casual handholding game. They are not catering for the masses here but players who want to spend time exploring and questioning the game world. They purposely give you weapons that break quick at the early parts of the game to make you stop and think how you can engage by using your tools, environment etc in battle. If you're a player who loves to hack and slash then too bad, they are not catering for that kind of singular gameplay here. It's like going into Gran Turismo for Burnout style racing and then shitting on it because it feels too real.

gamerMan

Jim made a decent stink over Zelda "forcing" him to play a certain way.

That's a horrible argument. Every single game ever made "forces" you to playa certain way. Zelda botw at least moves as far away from that as possible. I see jim's complaint, and then I watch dunkeys video, and I just don't understand.

That's the thing about Zelda. it doesn't force you to play a certain way. if you are approaching combat in a way that you are just killing enemy after enemy in the same way the weapon destructibility is going to stick out. You are just trading weapons for weaker weapons and really you aren't going to have any emergent experiences.

If you approach it more creatively, you are going to get a lot more out of the weapons as you can often dispatch enemies in anyway you like. For me, I always love trying new things in each battle and was often surprised they would work. Plus, the weapon destructibility is only a problem early in the game. I do wish Nintendo gave you more detailed stats about the weapon's strength. It's not funneling you to play a certain way.

It's a game that encourages you to be creative, but you are also free to approach it mindlessly. I like that Nintendo doesn't tell you how to play. You have to figure it out. It's a design decision for sure but it goes with what Nintendo was trying to achieve with open ended game design. Sorry, no more hand holding.

I like that the game doesn't lay things out. Sure the enjoyment you get out of it is limited by your creativity, but that is exactly why people have fallen in love with it.

Ansatz

Personally I think that would be an in-game economy extremely difficult to balance. Any examples of games doing it this way? What you'd likely end up with would be people hoarding and spending time trying to farm rupees to cover repairs and very few, likely non-existant instances of people actually opting to throw away their weapons.
I get that you want to find a middle-ground on the durability mechanic but it's not easy to find which is likely why most games opt for a durability mechanic that is little more than a minor nuisance. The way BotW goes all-in on the mechanic is like a breath of fresh air to me. Finally I'm using my inventory, not just hoarding. Finally I'm using all weapon types and all tools at my disposal. And even "bad" weapons still has their uses 50+ hours in!
This SHOULD be influential but I fear the backlash will lead to a continuing trend of absolutely meaningless durability mechanics.

Good post, but yeah I can't see myself in the future going "this Ubisoft/Bethesda open world game is amazingly well designed!" It's just not going to happen. The only thing that matters is that Nintendo continues to make the kinds of decisions that baffle some people, so that I have a reason to invest time and energy into AAA games.

What's the big deal. Is it because Nintendo has to say "one of the best rated games of all-time" instead of "tied for the best-rated game of all-time"? Completely ridiculous.

That's the thing about Zelda. it doesn't force you to play a certain way. if you are approaching combat in a way that you are just killing enemy after enemy in the same way the weapon destructibility is going to stick out. You are just trading weapons for weaker weapons.

If you approach it more creatively, you are going to get a lot more out of the weapons as you can often dispatch enemies in anyway you like. For me, I always love trying new things in each battle and was often surprised they would work. Plus, the weapon destructibility is only a problem early in the game. I do wish Nintendo gave you more detailed stats about the weapon's strength.

I like that the game doesn't lay things out. Sure the enjoyment you get out of it is limited by your creativity, but that is exactly why people have fallen in love with it. It's sort of like Minecraft. Jim obviously didn't like that .

It's a game that encourages you to be creative, but you are also free to approach it mindlessly. I like that Nintendo doesn't tell you how to play. You have to figure it out. It's a design decision for sure but it goes with what Nintendo was trying to achieve with open ended game design. No more hand holding.

Encouraging creativity = taking control away from the player. In this case, if you play it "mindlessly" (aka the way you want to play it), you are being punished.

A lot of people would rather decide for themselves what they would want to use. I think that's the #1 problem for Jim and other people with similar opinions.

It's not about hand-holding. It's about preferences.

Or you could just stop caring about the BotW metacritc average. Believe me, you'll be much happier.

LOL

It's not like I'll lose any sleep over it - however it was really cool to think that the score could go from 98 to 99 - after over 3 times the amount of reviews as Ocarina of Time accrued; but 97 is still an incredible achievement - even though it took two anchors to weigh the ship down ;)

nomis

That's the thing about Zelda. it doesn't force you to play a certain way. if you are approaching combat in a way that you are just killing enemy after enemy in the same way the weapon destructibility is going to stick out. You are just trading weapons for weaker weapons and really you aren't going to have any emergent experiences.

If you approach it more creatively, you are going to get a lot more out of the weapons as you can often dispatch enemies in anyway you like. For me, I always love trying new things in each battle and was often surprised they would work. Plus, the weapon destructibility is only a problem early in the game. I do wish Nintendo gave you more detailed stats about the weapon's strength. It's not funneling you to play a certain way.

Evidently it does force you to not just pick a weapon you are enjoying and use it...

daman824

Encouraging creativity = taking control away from the player. In this case, if you play it "mindlessly" (aka the way you want to play it), you are being punished.

A lot of people would rather decide for themselves what they would want to use. I think that's the #1 problem for Jim and other people with similar opinions.

But you can play Zelda how you want to play it.

His complaint about the rain and climbing is strange because those kinds of mechanics exist in almost every game. Every single game out right now has limits put in place that arguably keep the player from "playing how they want"

En-ou

This argument has zero merit. Some games give you freedom within its own borders. It's like me playing Halo and choosing only to use the assault rifle and when it's out of ammo I'm like wtf this game is forcing me to use other guns. Or playing mindlessly as you put it and blazing away my ammo then saying omg I'm being punished for playing mindlessly.

people still care about this meaningless bullshit? what the fuck did we not have a 50 page thread where fanboys showed off how fucking insane they were for caring so much about videogame numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom