• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Job Posting: Sega "reimagining of one of Segas most beloved IPs", Sounds High Budget

Rlan

Well I knew they owned the characters for those games. But the game play and level design? That was all Westone/Escape.

Both Wonder Boy and Alex Kidd have had such dramatic changes to game design and ideals throughout their lives, that you could pretty much do anything with it that you wanted.

Hell, I've written up game design docs for what I'd want to do with Alex Kidd (Sort of more like Astro Boy GBA, but with Rock Paper Scissors being Punch, Block, Kick) and it'd be dramatically different to anything else based on Alex, but I don't think people would care that much :)

EYEL1NER

I have to say, as much as I love JSR/JSRF, I don't want it 're-imagined.'
If the game is beloved, Sega, why fuck with it?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Sega of America? Probably just publishing some crap while saying it's so awesome.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
a public posting for someone new to be put in charge of a western studio's entire budget and schedule tackling a no doubt japanese franchise?

No thanks.

Obviously it's this guy.

Alex_Kidd_EnchantedCastle.png

YAY Alex Kidd
Oh, wait...........SEGA of America

androvsky

I thought Sega of America was basically folded into Sega of Europe's management structure about a year ago and was being run from London. I'd guess that the budget/direction is coming from Japan or Europe, and Sega of America is only involved because they're closer to the studio that's actually making it. And since Europe doesn't have major self-confidence issues about locally developed games, it's probably Japan.

Platy

My Master System days would LOVE for a new Alex Kidd, but i would be happy with 75% of what was said here

That said, this can only end in frustration =/

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

Sydle

Wouldn't be surprised if it were Phantasy Star or Super Monkey Ball. Give someone else a crack at rebooting them.

hiro4

Oh boy, this wont end well.

reimagining? Well that counts out Shenmue 3, and if by any small chance it is, hell will break lose.

KAL2006

Banned
Why are people excited for this

Have people forgotten Goldenaxe Beast Rider, recent Shining Force games, Nights for Wii and Sonic 4

skyfinch

For fans, "most beloved" = Jet Set Radio, Shenmue, Nights into Dreams, Alex Kid, Streets of Rage, Phantasy Star, Virtua Fighter, etc.....

In Sega's mind, "most beloved" = super monkey ball with kinect controls.

bengraven

Please don't be Sonic.

If Sega took away half the effort it was putting towards making Sonic relevant again, they could have made three or four more AAA titles.

Teknoman

Its Streets of Rage or Jet Grind Radio.

Streets of Rage is too based in Reality to make sense in the engine I think. Plus, I assume a franchise staple like local multiplayer would be a hassle to program.

I dunno...they've had robots, kangaroo fighters, people that shoot fireballs/have fire on their hands for uppercuts, and cars shooting missles.

For those wishing for Streets of Rage, Shenmue 3 and also an offline Phantasy Star which I would LOVE to see, I REALLY doubt Sega will bring those back, especially Streets of Rage. Sega does not care for those franchises anymore unfortunately.

I'm leaning towards another remake of Sonic or something since that is the only franchise they really care about now. :/

mr_chun

After pulling the plug on that awesome Streets of Rage fan project, they OWE us a legit sequel to Streets of Rage 3.

Let's be realist here. They want to create an AAA game so i bet the budget is gonna be pretty big.

Problem is that except for sonic, all the other franchise are old and don't sell anymore.

I see 3 franchises that has potential:

Phantasy star:

cover4main.jpg

Could have multiplayer but in co-op and would be more like mass effect with more rpg elements.

Ristar:

g03983k3t6k.jpg

The game came out in 1995 and was nice and with a new story, they could pretty much reinvent easily this "franchise".

Sonic

SNK.jpg

We saw classic sonic in generations, maybe it's a sign of new things coming up...

Compare these 3 to all the big AAA games out there (mario, uncharted, mass effect, call of duty) and these 3 are pretty much the only ones that could fit in if the game is really really really good.

All the other series that sega has won't sell for shit (and i'm a sega fan).

Agent X

An HD remake of cel shaded games? Visually, would HD even make a difference?

It certainly would. As Chrysalis said above, the lines would look crisper. You'd also get more fine details which are often blurred or lost altogether at lower resolutions.

What IPs out of Sega America are well known apart from Sonic? Toejam and earl maybe? If you are re imagining something into a trendy genre, can any good results be anticipated? Maybe if it's a sandbox game.

Let's be realist here. They want to create an AAA game so i bet the budget is gonna be pretty big.

Problem is that except for sonic, all the other franchise are old and don't sell anymore.

I see 3 franchises that has potential:

Phantasy star:

Could have multiplayer but in co-op and would be more like mass effect with more rpg elements.

Ristar:

The game came out in 1995 and was nice and with a new story, they could pretty much reinvent easily this "franchise".

Sonic

We saw classic sonic in generations, maybe it's a sign of new things coming up...

Compare these 3 to all the big AAA games out there (mario, uncharted, mass effect, call of duty) and these 3 are pretty much the only ones that could fit in if the game is really really really good.

All the other series that sega has won't sell for shit (and i'm a sega fan).

Shining star has already been rebooted as a light mmo and a rpg/romance game. I think they are done destroying that one. Never heard of Ristar so I'll take your word for it.

It certainly would. As Chrysalis said above, the lines would look crisper. You'd also get more fine details which are often blurred or lost altogether at lower resolutions.

Yes, thanks. Both games are gorgeous in VGA and would be even more so in HD.

I think the visual style of both games are age resistant (at least to this point) and would be very appealing to whole new audiences who haven't experienced them.

Top Bottom