• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joe Staten (lead Halo/Destiny wirter) re-joins Microsoft

catmario

wirter!! lol!!!

Then there is a possible next next halo (halo 6) could written by joe? or... work at completely new ip.

jbug617

Banned
IGN got an official statement from MS about Staten.

“As a senior creative director, Joseph will help create the world’s best entertainment on Xbox, as well as help shape our franchise strategy for some Microsoft Studios titles. He’ll also be one of our leading ambassadors to the game development community, building on his many years of experience and relationships with developers and fans. We’re excited to share more about Joseph’s role in the future.”

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/09/ex-halo-writer-rejoins-microsoft

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So they're recruiting him to be a figurehead among other things?
Weird.

Baki

I hope the TV show has a good budget. I'm really interested now. Loved Halo when I was younger. <3

GavinGT

Banned
So I guess he wanted to do something besides writing? Creative director seems quite a different role from what he's always done.

I knew this was a matter of time, he was the reason why Halo 2 and ODST were excellent in the story department. His talent was missed in Halo 3, Reach and Halo 4.

Edit: So he isn't in 343i but at the very least he cound have some possible input, maybe he can voice the grunts again as well!

jbug617

Banned
From Phil Spencer's twitter:

Wonder what those "returns" could be.

I posted this in the Xbox One thread before it closed:

Interesting tweet from Phil Spencer in response to a Game Informer article.

@XboxP3: @PenguinLamont @gameinformer @XboxQwik We might do ok over this generation checking off some of these. Was surprised not to see Gears.

Here are the games Game Informer listed

Banjo Kazooie
Battletoads
Blue Dragon
Conker
Crimson Skies
Crackdown
Black & White
Lost Odyssey
Mech Assault
Viva Piñata

The Flash

Banned

ibeDIqpItiClmS.gif

graywolf323

he leaves Bungie to tackle new creative challenges which leads to him returning to Halo? it's good for Halo but I hope he doesn't then leave again

edit: ah okay returned to Microsoft but won't be on Halo

I vote for Freelancer 2 then :p

ElRenoRaven

This does not surprise me one bit. Kind of suspected he'd end up at MS and I wouldn't be surprised to see him working with Halo again either.

Bungie

Awesome! Also don't know if anyone posted this but he also did the voice acting for the Grunts in Halo.

Doodis

I was seriously depressed when I heard he left Bungie. This helps ease the pain, even if he's not back on Halo. At least he's there at Microsoft to help fight the good fight.

BlazinAm

I was seriously depressed when I heard he left Bungie. This helps ease the pain, even if he's not back on Halo. At least he's there at Microsoft to help fight the good fight.

Bring it down a notch. I guess he finished up core story beats of Destiny and saw a better opportunity at Microsoft.

abadguy

Banned
I would be just as excited if he is involved in a completely new IP as well. But yeah all the recent talk by Spencer about reviving old IPs is getting me giddy. Bout damned time too, MS has to many damned IP's laying dormant since the original Xbox.

monome

wait for Halo X1 reception.

then see Staten work with 343i to help build a smaller yet better vision for Halo.

also, it totally has to do with Black Tusk Studios and their high priority new IP.

As a shooter-hater (and thus without knowledge of Halo's story): Does he have a good sense of humour? The MS returns I want are Banjo, Conker, Kameo. The first two need someone with a good sense of humour. Though I think the Banjo writer is still at Rare anyway, isn't he?
Yes. Gregg Mayles, the creator of Banjo Kazooie is still with Rare.

Top Bottom