• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joe Staten (lead Halo/Destiny wirter) re-joins Microsoft

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i like joe. hope he is in a position where we get to hear from him from time to time.

This has to be one of the worst posts I have ever read, and is with absolute certainty the worst post I have seen in 20014.

What kind of asinine logic....

I don't think it's that crazy. Halo has a tonne of great lore and fiction to it but the story in the games (outside of CE and possibly reach) isn't all that interesting or well told. I'm a big Halo fan but I can certainly see why people may think that the overall narrative is bad, 4 in particular is only comprehensible if you've read the newer books.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Yes. Gregg Mayles, the creator of Banjo Kazooie is still with Rare.

I know Gregg' still there, but he was not the writer. Of course I'd like Gregg Myles to lead a Banjo-Threeie, but the game would probably also need a story writer ;).

monome

i like joe. hope he is in a position where we get to hear from him from time to time.

humm...

I don't think you offer a promotion to someone who is pretty outspoken and appreciated without using him as an outspoken and likeable MS representative, whatever his daily job is.

Not saying he sold out to MS. But with the turmoil since E3, MS could use a strong and positive voice within its studios and to the outside audience.

With the advent of hyper closed ecosystems, MS will need to balance its IP portfolio carefully, and make their IPs engaging over the course of several years.

I suppose that's Joe's primary role. Evaluating MS content creation and driving it to long term profitability through diversification and choosing the right moves.

monome

Is this a non issue or bad news in regards to Destiny?

Destiny is a huge baby. and thus difficult to give birth to.

Bungie has become a huge ass studio. and probably something different.

and Destiny is a 10 year engagement. so whether Staten was Destined for 10 years. or limited to dabbling with Bungie's potential side/post projects.

Now Staten has access to a porfolio of longterm/short-term/big/medium/small/new/old games.
Destiny being a 500 people team project, you can hardly blame him for feeling the baby wasn't his or could do without him.

Halo 3's singleplayer campaign was awesome. The ending was great too.

In fact, I jumped into the Xbox 360 platform when Halo 3 came out - I got the Halo Edition Console.

Gears is probably the best bet. Given that he is probably working with a 3rd party partner.

Nope. Gears is on hiatus.
Phil Spencer kind of confirmed in an interview that they haven't even talked with Epic about it.

I highly doubt he's working with third parties either.
I can see Joe taking on a Mark Cerny role and getting his fingerprints on a bunch of first party games, but mainly Black Tusk's new IP.

clav

As a shooter-hater (and thus without knowledge of Halo's story): Does he have a good sense of humour? The MS returns I want are Banjo, Conker, Kameo. The first two need someone with a good sense of humour. Though I think the Banjo writer is still at Rare anyway, isn't he?

You can watch his convocation speech that he gave a few years ago and see if he does.

http://youtu.be/ExCDCvpmUDA

That's funny though that Joe Staten is back at Microsoft because when I met him back in 2006, it seemed like he was true to the Bungie mantra that no one there likes Microsoft.

macewank

You can watch his convocation speech that he gave a few years ago and see if he does.

http://youtu.be/ExCDCvpmUDA

That's funny though that Joe Staten is back at Microsoft because when I met him back in 2006, it seemed like he was true to the Bungie mantra that no one there likes Microsoft.

Working at a partner studio and working for Microsoft are two very different things. In my career experience, there's nothing more annoying than working for <company x> and having the decisions at that company be mandated by <company y>.

Not saying that's how it went at Bungie, but could easily have been that way.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I'm not sure if IMDb counts as confirmation but...

kUrbqn2.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1365150/

It's not confirmation of anything. It's says right there that his credit is for creating the characters which he did for the games. For example if the next Star Wars movies have Han, Luke and Leia then George Lucas will get a credit for creating those characters even if he does no work on the movie.

I don't think it's that crazy. Halo has a tonne of great lore and fiction to it but the story in the games (outside of CE and possibly reach) isn't all that interesting or well told. I'm a big Halo fan but I can certainly see why people may think that the overall narrative is bad, 4 in particular is only comprehensible if you've read the newer books.

That's simply not true, I haven't read a single Halo book, yet I've had no problem following Halo 4's plot. Halo as a series has a decent story for video game standards - compared to quality works of written science fiction, it's subpar at best, but so is almost every other video game story out there.

Yes. Gregg Mayles, the creator of Banjo Kazooie is still with Rare.

They seriously need to just have Gregg work on a new Banjo...even if it's a smaller arcade type game like Max was...they don't need to necessarily make it a $60 title imo. This is, of course, pending that Gregg even wants to do something like that...would seem liek a good play though.

They seriously need to just have Gregg work on a new Banjo...even if it's a smaller arcade type game like Max was...they don't need to necessarily make it a $60 title imo. This is, of course, pending that Gregg even wants to do something like that...would seem liek a good play though.

Well, Nuts & Bolts was a $40 game, too... Why not?

It's not confirmation of anything. It's says right there that his credit is for creating the characters which he did for the games. For example if the next Star Wars movies have Han, Luke and Leia then George Lucas will get a credit for creating those characters even if he does no work on the movie.

Yep. Besides, that IMDB credit was there before he even left Bungie.

Top Bottom