• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Carter - Trailer #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JGS

Banned
A this point in time, I'm of the opinion that the movie is at least good so I remain hyped. I just want it to be a commercial success too.

RT @jefflagasca: John Carter: It's a decent film which could use an extra 20 minutes for story development.

RT @michaelisbell: Just saw John Carter. More of a movie for kids, but looks great in a Disney CGI way. Weakscript, confusing story and action. #johncarter

RT @Bastholm: I am sad to report that "John Carter" is a failure on every single level, except maybe the CGI. More than anything, it reminds me of "Flash Gordon", but w/o the great Queen songs. The story is convoluted, the acting bad and it's unintentionally hilarious at times.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Of course the acting's bad. If you mix dog shit with cat shit, you just get mixed shit. It doesn't suddenly turn into a beautiful cake.

None of the trailers or TV spots ever had me believing in this film. It seems like another action film which is labeled as sci-fi.

I hear the source material is good but it seems the bean counters neutered all the potential this film had. I'm not a fan of the designs of martian life, either.

I questioned that first guy who yelled "I'm not a film critic!" then said:

RT @ScreenSlate: @TheFilmStage I dunno, it's worse than the star wars prequels for sure.

Im getting a major SW prequels mixed with Prince of Persia vibe from this all around. Every trailer I have seen has made me go meh..

The visuals aren't bad per say, but they have a strange cartoony vibe, and the art design of the film looks really uninspired. I hope this turns out ok, but I really really doubt it at this point.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
This movie isn't really on my radar at all but I'm curious if Riggins is going to be a senior for like the 4th time.

I said it would bomb in the states. Guess what it did?

Lol Speeding.

Notice how the John Carter reactions you were responding to weren't about the film's box office, but about the quality of the film. You think I'm talking about your BO predictions?

If I were, I would point out that you were originally saying Tintin wouldn't make any money until I and a bunch of other posters pointed out that you might want to add the US qualifier, lest you look silly. But that is a song we've already danced to.

Notice how the John Carter reactions you were responding to weren't about the film's box office, but about the quality of the film. You think I'm talking about your BO predictions?

If I were, I would point out that you were originally saying Tintin wouldn't make any money until I and a bunch of other posters pointed out that you might want to add the US qualifier, lest you look silly. But that is a song we've already danced to.

And you're still wrong. You put word in my mouth. It's also not my fault you can't put 2+2 together. I was in the American box office thread, talking about a movie that was open in most of the world except America, saying it was going to bomb "here."

Anyways, Andrew Stanton is overrated. He made one good film and this one looks like the most generic film of the year.

And you're still wrong. You put word in my mouth. It's also not my fault you can't put 2+2 together. I was in the American box office thread, talking about a movie that was open in most of the world except America, saying it was going to bomb "here."

Anyways, Andrew Stanton is overrated. He made one good film and this one looks like the most generic film of the year.

At least I can agree with this part. I disagree however, in that I think he has made one good half of a film in WALL-E.

Yet I'm still looking forward to John Carter.

Tintin is a better animated film than any film Stanton has made. And it was the director's first. :O

This is the worst opinion I've read all day. And I JUST came from the "Kelly Clarkson is the greatest voice of the generation" thread. That's some kind of accomplishment.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Jesus, I wonder what John Carter was like before the reshoots.
C'mon Sculli. You aren't serious, are you? Tintin is fine and all but doesn't touch those Pixar classics.
Tintin is definitely better than Wall-E. I haven't seen Finding Nemo in almost a decade so I can't really judge there.

C'mon Sculli. You aren't serious, are you? Tintin is fine and all but doesn't touch those Pixar classics.

Classics? What?

Pixar classics: Toy Story, Toy Story 2, Monsters Inc, The Incredibles, Ratatouille

Finding Nemo was mediocre and overhyped to all hell.

WALL-E had a fantastic first half and went completely downhill the moment him and Eve arrived on the Axiom. I own Wall-E and can never make it past the first hour anymore. Which is a shame since the closing titles sequence is superb. It's just that all the stuff in between with the humans is garbage.

Tintin shits on Nemo and Wall-E.

They marketed this movie so badly. The name "john carter" is dumb and the trailers looked like somebody literally edited together scenes from Prince of Persia and Attack of the Clones. They should have kept the Frazetta influence it makes the property look unique.

Frank-Frazetta-John-Carter-of-Mars-840x580.jpg

EDIT: I can't believe i'm agreeing with Scullibundo but yea Finding Nemo was terrible. I also didn't care for A Bug's Life which had Stanton's hands all over it. Wall-E was good until the goofy last act. Too bad Stanton is one of Disney's Golden boys and they won't let him go even if this movie bombs terribly.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I was just thinking recently that they should have gone full pulp with the lurid Frazetta look. As it is the movie looks totally bland and Disneyfied.

300 proved that the mainstream has more of a taste for over the top trashy fantasy style than execs likely think.

I was just thinking recently that they should have gone full pulp with the lurid Frazetta look. As it is the movie looks totally bland and Disneyfied.

300 proved that the mainstream has more of a taste for over the top trashy fantasy style than execs likely think.

I didn't care much for the Riggins casting either. Always pictured Carter looking older.

I fucking knew it! HEY EXPENDABLE, good job on finding the worst possible critics. There are a lot more positive ones for now, it has been said on Twitter that the buzz was very positive from the screenings, there are quite a few very positive, yet elusive tweets as there is an embargo on reviews for now, which is surprising because those tweets of yours seem rather detailed, odd, isn't it?!

Some of you are incredible, manipulating the truth as you want. "Hey guys, look at this, the film sucks, as planned! oh and by the way, I just took the liberty of only putting the worst reviews possible."

I fucking knew it! HEY EXPENDABLE, good job on finding the worst possible critics. There are a lot more positive ones for now, it has been said on Twitter that the buzz was very positive from the screenings, there are quite a few very positive, yet elusive tweets as there is an embargo on reviews for now, which is surprising because those tweets of yours seem rather detailed, odd, isn't it?!

Some of you are incredible, manipulating the truth as you want. "Hey guys, look at this, the film sucks, as planned! oh and by the way, I just took the liberty of only putting the worst reviews possible."

The movie isn't even out and you're busting this? You're going to flip if this shit sucks balls.

When is embargo over?

Finding Nemo and Wall-E aren't that great? I hate you GAF.

It's just GAF being GAF. So yeah, everything that I've seen on Twitter on John Carter is really positive, oh and by the way, I put two pages before the very positive reactions of the main editor of "L'Ecran Fantastique" (one of the biggest movie magazines in France), and what a surprise, I was completely ignored.

I'm sorry, but when seeing at least a dozen times comments from people saying that it's truly great, spectacular, and then seeing 2 or 3 comments saying that it's like the worst movie ever, it's a bit suspect. There's so much stupid hate against this movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom