• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Carter - Trailer #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Man

I fucking knew it! HEY EXPENDABLE, good job on finding the worst possible critics. There are a lot more positive ones for now, it has been said on Twitter that the buzz was very positive from the screenings, there are quite a few very positive, yet elusive tweets as there is an embargo on reviews for now, which is surprising because those tweets of yours seem rather detailed, odd, isn't it?!

Some of you are incredible, manipulating the truth as you want. "Hey guys, look at this, the film sucks, as planned! oh and by the way, I just took the liberty of only putting the worst reviews possible."

You work for Disney, right? You can come clean, it's okay.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
They marketed this movie so badly. The name "john carter" is dumb and the trailers looked like somebody literally edited together scenes from Prince of Persia and Attack of the Clones. They should have kept the Frazetta influence it makes the property look unique.

Frank-Frazetta-John-Carter-of-Mars-840x580.jpg

EDIT: I can't believe i'm agreeing with Scullibundo but yea Finding Nemo was terrible. I also didn't care for A Bug's Life which had Stanton's hands all over it. Wall-E was good until the goofy last act. Too bad Stanton is one of Disney's Golden boys and they won't let him go even if this movie bombs terribly.

I'm more of a lurker than anything, but I just had to comment...

I *love* that art. Who is the artist of that piece?

Qwomo

Frank Frazetta

I fucking knew it! HEY EXPENDABLE, good job on finding the worst possible critics. There are a lot more positive ones for now, it has been said on Twitter that the buzz was very positive from the screenings, there are quite a few very positive, yet elusive tweets as there is an embargo on reviews for now, which is surprising because those tweets of yours seem rather detailed, odd, isn't it?!

Some of you are incredible, manipulating the truth as you want. "Hey guys, look at this, the film sucks, as planned! oh and by the way, I just took the liberty of only putting the worst reviews possible."
haha what am I reading

The entire visual style of this movie just looks so predictable, it has that same goofy look as Prince of Persia.. You can tell it has a decent budget and decent effects, but it still just looks very generic, which is a shame as this movie likely could have stood out a lot more. I mean.. Mars looks very.. I dunno. Average. Pretty in some of the shots, but still average.

The aliens themselves has a weird, ultra-detailed yet cartoony look to them. I dont know, it just doesn't stand out as a very original look or style. The movie may be enjoyable on some levels, but Im not expecting anything too special. Still, I hope if it doesn't completely suck that it does alright in the BO. Doubt it will though, but theres still time to market this a bit.

Dead

well not really...yet
The entire visual style of this movie just looks so predictable, it has that same goofy look as Prince of Persia.. You can tell it has a decent budget and decent effects, but it still just looks very generic, which is a shame as this movie likely could have stood out a lot more. I mean.. Mars looks very.. I dunno. Average. Pretty in some of the shots, but still average.

The aliens themselves has a weird, ultra-detailed yet cartoony look to them. I dont know, it just doesn't stand out as a very original look or style. The movie may be enjoyable on some levels, but Im not expecting anything too special. Still, I hope if it doesn't completely suck that it does alright in the BO. Doubt it will though, but theres still time to market this a bit.
It looks like the freaking Nevada desert. The movie just fails at creating a unique visual design

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
It looks like the freaking Nevada desert. The movie just fails at creating a unique visual design
Dead-on.

If there are already a number of reactions as negative as the ones Expendable posted floating around, that's very bad news for film as expensive as this one, even if some people love it.

Yeah, basically this. And I really cant shake the cheesy Prince of Persia art design vibes.

Also, for some reason the evil aliens remind me of the Grasshoppers from A Bug's Life, though thats probably just me who thinks that.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Finding Nemo has always sucked. It was painful to watch even on the first viewing. Never understood the hype for it.

The Incredibles and Toy Story 2 are much more to my liking. I loved Wall-E, too, but like many have pointed out, it went sharply downhill starting with the Axiom.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Thank you for the name! I just looked up his work... yup, I really love his style. I don't follow artists, so I'm sure I'm *super* late to the game ;p But I'll definitely look into his work.

bud

finding nemo and ratatouille are pixar's best films. the incredibles would finish off the top three.

The Incredibles >> Ratatouille > Toy Story >>> Monster's Inc > Toy Story 2 > the rest.

I hold Nemo alongside Cars at the bottom, though. I've never seen Cars 2.

bud

nu-uh.

edit: monsters inc. was really good. i'd forgotten about that. i'd replace it with the incredibles in my ranking.

Fezan

All pixar movies beside cars and cars 2 are great movies.(havent watched a bugs life ).
I think tin tin was a disappointing movies completely forgettable!I was so hyped for it. Tin Tin is near cars in quality than say other pixar movies

and why do people want movies to fail :|?

JGS

Banned
Finding Nemo has always sucked. It was painful to watch even on the first viewing. Never understood the hype for it.
The hype was for it being a great movie.
The Incredibles and Toy Story 2 are much more to my liking. I loved Wall-E, too, but like many have pointed out, it went sharply downhill starting with the Axiom.
People often say this but I'm always curious as to how they would actually want half of a movie to be.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Wall E doesn't suck, Tintin was boring as boring gets because I almost fell asleep in the theater and that never happens. Spielberg fan btw.

People trashing Finding Nemo are crazy, John Carter looks like crap for other reasons than any of the work Stanton did before.

It just looks visually boring, cheesy and has terrible actors.

Khezu

Saw the trailer for this, thought it seemed kinda interesting, so I looked around to see what it was and found the source material, which seems kinda crazy awesome.

Now the actual movie just seems really bland in comparison.

Huh? I'm very excited for this movie. I want it to be good. I was on my phone when these screenings occurred and copied and pasted the few I could find. Feel free to paste the others.

And those aren't critics I pasted, it was a general audience screening at the MoMA last night. Hence, no embargo for them. Please get your facts straight before insulting.

It's just GAF being GAF. So yeah, everything that I've seen on Twitter on John Carter is really positive, oh and by the way, I put two pages before the very positive reactions of the main editor of "L'Ecran Fantastique" (one of the biggest movie magazines in France), and what a surprise, I was completely ignored.

I'm sorry, but when seeing at least a dozen times comments from people saying that it's truly great, spectacular, and then seeing 2 or 3 comments saying that it's like the worst movie ever, it's a bit suspect. There's so much stupid hate against this movie.

It's not just GAF "being" GAF. It is literally the only tweets out there from last night's screening of PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY SAW THE MOVIE. I loved reading your impressions from that magazine, so I'm very curious why there is such a massive divide.

And where are these dozens of impressions of people that think it is a fantastic movie? I've only see a select few. I'd say it is pretty even with people who disliked and liked it so far.

JGS

Banned
When you go on an adventure in a dry, sandy place, you look like this

aDYSp.png

and not like this

johncarter.jpg

Can't stand how lazy this movie looks.
The book has a reason for that. It looks like desert but the geography is actually a bit different. To me, it seemed to mirror the book pretty well. Further, translating the book to a real Mars environment would make it impossible for anyone to be there.

effzee

I love the extremes of opinions here. I never found Nemo to be the greatest animated movie of all time, like many claimed, but it certainly isn't bad. It certainly isn't "painful" to watch.

Wall E doesn't suck, Tintin was boring as boring gets because I almost fell asleep in the theater and that never happens. Spielberg fan btw.

People trashing Finding Nemo are crazy, John Carter looks like crap for other reasons than any of the work Stanton did before.

It just looks visually boring, cheesy and has terrible actors.

This is a good post because I agree with it!

nemo is a great pixar film because they managed to get FISH to emote and pulled it off. Being from sydney also helps me think its just that bit more magical.

As for JC; I'm leaning on the this is ass camp. I'm not going to pay money to watch this.

I hope everybody knows to see this one in 2D. Stanton has given very unsubtle hints that he never intended it for 3D. So it seems like the conversion is going to be a shitty rushed job.

I think he meant to say 10% as good as The Incredibles, which Ghost Protocol is. Ghost Protocol is good and fun, but for my money HANNA was my favourite action film of 2011.

Whoever allowed this movie to have the budget it appears to have had should be fired. It looks awful and would only appeal to a small demographic (early teen/pre-teen boys).

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I think he meant to say 10% as good as The Incredibles, which Ghost Protocol is. Ghost Protocol is good and fun, but for my money HANNA was my favourite action film of 2011.
I feel like Hanna went downhill action wise after the CIA base escape (which was terrific). Pretty soulless.

I feel like Hanna went downhill action wise after the CIA base escape (which was terrific). Pretty soulless.

Whaaaaat? Soulless? SOULLESS?!

I loved everything with Hanna sightseeing and roaming around the different towns and villages with the family. As for action? I am a HUGE fucking fan of the long tracking shot that ends in this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIaUqIucp5E

Also the container park fight scene is great. I was much more invested in the characters of HANNA than I was with MI4.

LOL! I love how they have been hiding away this amazing poster, whilst using the bad photoshopped posters as their main marketing push. If they were dealing with Mondo beforehand, you would think they might use the better posters as part of the actual campaign.

This fucking marketing team.

Yeah, this is a MONDO one. They should have paid them millions to just market the whole goddamn movie.

Update for new page:

If you see this at midnight at IMAX on opening night, they will be giving out these for free. Click it for more details.

No new pages here, buddy. Change your post count per page!

Gloam

Seeing this tomorrow as Expendable mentioned the embargo is a while away... Still excited that poster has got my hyped more than anything!

Hanna takes a huge dump on MI4. I agree with icarus' wish though. Simon from In the Loop an his gang of nazi-pedos should have
offed that family
, I swear it was gonna happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom