• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Wick 2 Announced!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
Personally I think the plot is just hilariously dumb. "He killed my dog, so I'll slaughter hundreds to kill him" But I don't think anyone was watching for the plot.

It's not about the dog itself, but what he meant to John. It's like what he said in the movie, the dog was a memento of his wife and the last gift she gave to him.
You said it yourself, the Plot isn't what the movie is about, it's about having fun and seeing some good action.

Anyway, I hope they do a Prequel when he was still a hitman and doing the impossible job.

tumblr_ndz2mf4eDS1qaezqco1_r1_500.gif

SJRB

Gold Member
Anyway, I hope they do a Prequel when he was still a hitman and doing the impossible job.

That'd be great, because I thought Michael Nyqvist was amazing. He overshadowed everyone, lots of great little details to his acting.

They have to go back, a prequel I need to see how John Wick was before he met his wife then part 3 should be about how he met her and does the impossible task.

If they go the prequel route, I'd imagine it would deal with all of the above.

Really, really hope this is a prequel. Would make the third film (a direct sequel to the first) feel more earned.

Mild spoilers:

Disagree completely with some of the people in here (and the widespread acclaim the film has garnered also disagrees). There haven't been many action films as of late that attempt to strip the genre bare, taking the "less is more" approach to story and wrapping it in some of the best action choreography to come along since The Raid. I'm sick and tired of CGI, and maybe that's your thing, but this is a film that gives it's star a chance to do real stunt work. It's an homage to the action films of old; an exercise in craft and aesthetic. Some people are also not giving it due credit for the world building it establishes in the "noir graphic novel" style.

Let's start with the emotional core of the story; love and loss. John Wick is a man whose past is catching up to him in the most profound way possible. No, there are no "bad men" out to get him for something that he did years ago. His wife dies, quite tragically from an undetermined illness, in an emotionally effective opening that immediately helps to make John an identifiable and sympathetic character.

Circumstance forces John's hand. His only outlet for his grief is violently ripped away. You give the character an emotional anchor, you mess with it, and you set him along that path. You watch him, conflicted, as he trudges back into a world that knows very well who he is and what he's capable of. Do we need endless exposition and backstory? Do we need to be force-fed plot because the movie thinks we're stupid and we need our hands held through the whole thing? How many action blockbuster films do that nowadays? All of the Marvel films, for sure.

John interacts with characters and you immediately get a sense of the history of that world, the characters at play. Chop it up to cosmic fate intervening or whatever you want to call it, but his is an assassin's world that is populated with characters who don't need to say much to acknowledge each other.

The action itself, on the other hand, tells it's own story. The steady cam shots, the long takes (none of this quick cutaway, shaky cam bullshit), the practical effects, the fight choreography with the central axis relock movement, the lighting and music in the Red Circle night club scene...all of it is so fucking well done. All of it comes together to show how John Wick is an unstoppable force that has been set loose against the immovable object he himself helped to create.

John Wick is more than a film about revenge. It's a film about fate. If you buy into fate, you accept that John's life was always going to lead down this path. He tried everything he could to make his own fate and choose another path, but killing is an ugly business that nobody can walk away clean from. It tears at the fabric of your humanity. It's all there in the conversation between him and Viggo.

Monocle

Great news. One of the many things I appreciate about John Wick is the way it sketches out a believable criminal underworld by showing more than telling. It's one of the best modern examples of how to imply a much larger fictional universe than the glimpse you give the audience. Because the film does this so well, there's a considerable array of entry points for new stories in the same setting.

John Wick could become a great franchise. It would have to be handled carefully. The potential is there.

John Wick 2 ends and the credits roll. At the end of the credits is John eating breakfast at IHOP and in comes Nick Fury, he tells that it was Thanos that killed his Dog!!

John Wick infinity war people, you heard it first!

Ke0

Really loved the action in this, I liked how grounded it was. In the sense that John wasn't dual wielding pray & spraying, diving over tables and hitting people at impossible angles.

Happy to hear it's getting a sequel.

Feelings, who needs 'em?

I think he was quoting the son.

Drifters

Headshot - Bam, twist, throw - Headshot, Headshot, Headshot, Headshot, Headshot - Pffftt, twist, throw, punch, Headshot, Headshot, Headshot - Reload clip - Headshot.....

First film was badass. John Wick went HAM on all those guys, so good. Club scene was one of the best action sequences in recent memory.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Awwww yes - such a good fun movie that is straight-up excellent action with no fluff.

Well-deserved sequel announcement right there, and I'll be waiting to watch it.

Great news. One of the many things I appreciate about John Wick is the way it sketches out a believable criminal underworld by showing more than telling. It's one of the best modern examples of how to imply a much larger fictional universe than the glimpse you give the audience. Because the film does this so well, there's a considerable array of entry points for new stories in the same setting.

John Wick could become a great franchise. It would have to be handled carefully. The potential is there.

They handled the usual question in ridiculous action spectacles like this "where is the police when there are massive gun battles in broad daylight ??" with that little visit of a cop following the first big fight. It's about 25 seconds in which it establishes the cop knows who John Wick is and is not interested in investigating what happened. Why this is they never get into. Maybe all the cops are corrupt or maybe there is some sort of agreement not to interfere like the hotel rules. In the end it does not matter, you got a little bit of how this world works and it fits in with the rest.

There are so many interesting characters to explore apart from Wick, I hope we get to see some backstory with Perkins, the cleaning crew and the hotel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom