• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Wick 2 Announced!

Status
Not open for further replies.
your level of suspension of disbelief must make you a blast at parties

tumblr_mebcg12n0M1qc6yaxo1_250.gif

I'm interested, John Wick was one of the best action movies I've seen in a long ass time. I want to see what they do to get Wick back in action this time because whomever does it has to be a big dumbass considering how many people Wick went through in the first movie. I also hope we got more good world building in this movie, I was happily surprised with the first movie's surprising amount of depth to its universe.

You could say that about the first film. Dude was amaze balls stupid.

Laconic

Banned
I read most of your tweets, not because I like to but because they are just there. I disagree the majority of the time with you and this is no different.

Dredd shouldn't even be in the same discussion topic with Wick. Dredd was the one that was just okay.

Dredd as a movie was slightly better than okay.

If only just.

But Karl Urban absolutely killed it, as Dredd.

Permanently A

how did people just not laugh their asses off at how hilariously stupid the movie was?

WHO DID U KILL? OMFG U HAVE NO IDEA. HE ONCE KILLED 200 GREEN BERETS WITH A PEN IN A BAR

then of course, the james bond style ending

OK JOHN WICK I HAVE YOU COMPLETELY TRAPPED AND TIED UP. I COULD PUT A BULLET IN YOUR HEAD AND END THIS ALL BUT IM JUST GOING TO TAKE OFF NOW AND LET A COUPLE OF MY HENCHMEN HANDLE THE JOB. I TRUST THAT THEY WILL GET THE JOB DONE FOR SURE. WELP.... SEEYA!

i'll admit i'm a cynical person but i just can't believe how lame the movie was overall. some of the fight scenes weren't bad but other than that.... yikes. still, different people will have different preferences. i like some pretty shitty horror movies that most people would just laugh at!

Personally I think the plot is just hilariously dumb. "He killed my dog, so I'll slaughter hundreds to kill him" But I don't think anyone was watching for the plot.

Sephzilla

Personally I think the plot is just hilariously dumb. "He killed my dog, so I'll slaughter hundreds to kill him" But I don't think anyone was watching for the plot.

The death of the dog was basically the triggering point for a guy who was in all likelihood really unstable after losing his wife.

[this post has spoilers, don't read it if you want to see the movie]

Just watched the first film today and I'd agree that it's overrated.

The action is great. Seeing a protagonist focus on finishing off enemies efficiently with headshots was a nice reprieve from the usual, and the hand-to-hand combat with guns was also inventive.

The settings for the fights were cool too. They could've been used a bit more as set pieces, but they were fun nonetheless.

The performances and the writing were the issues I had. I didn't care much about the wife, aside from that one long shot of her falling down. I cared about the dog, and felt it was a good launching point for his revenge.

But then two thirds through the movie he gets it. He kills the kid. And after that, I don't care. The Russian guy killed Willem Dafoe's character, oh no. Who gives a shit. Old Willem was in the movie for two minutes up to that point. I cared more about the black colleague in the hotel hallway. I don't care about this Russian mobster getting his comeuppance; he's already lost his son.

The female assassin was stupid. Everything about it. I really liked the idea of the assassin's hotel and its rules (and the owner and desk guy were both great). It was fun, but not hugely important.

Basically I was definitely into the movie for the first half, and then it kind of just started falling apart. John Wick's car is a huge focal point for most of the movie, and yet there's very little in terms of a chase scene. There just wasn't enough payoff, and by the time a car chase did arrive, I didn't care about the villains, who just turned into cartoon characters at the end.

I like Keanu. I hope they keep the same choreographer for the sequel, but take a different direction in terms of plotting.

Skulldead

I'm not mad.... it's start off really amazing.... the first half of the movie was 10 times better then the second half(became pretty boring and cliche action sequence).

If they can keep the first half quality in a 1h30... i can give them a second chance to impress me...

Correct, i don't think anyone was watching this for the plot. Although even with that said, i don't find it as ridiculous as most do. Of all things "wrong" with this movie, the plot was not necessarily one of them.

As someone else said, he was already unstable, the pet was what pushed him too far.

Firemind

The action was wicked. The score was wicked. The story was concise and to the point unlike today's blockbusters. Bring it on! Keanu da god

Knowing too much about guns can screw with viewing action movies. John Wick had some of the best gunplay ever and still kept it grounded. Fucking love this movie.

farisr

Will be disappointing. The set up was good for one move - like Taken - no more was needed.

What they showed off in this movie in the background (assassins, clubs , unique currency, neutral ground etc) was actually quite interesting, and if they go for a prequel story (meeting the woman that would become his wife, doing the impossible task) it could easily be interesting. But yeah, as for a sequel, I'm not sure how that could work out.

Fuck yes. Hopefully with all the lore out of the way they can get straight to Keanu murdering people in this one. I don't begrudge the slow start in the first movie, but shit is officially real at this point and I need 90 minutes of straight slaughter this time around.

Zubz

Banned
I went into the first with no expectations, or even knowledge about the movie beyond "Keanu Reaves action movie," but it was incredible! Hopefully the sequel can top the first with how over-the-top its action scenes were.

how did people just not laugh their asses off at how hilariously stupid the movie was?

WHO DID U KILL? OMFG U HAVE NO IDEA. HE ONCE KILLED 200 GREEN BERETS WITH A PEN IN A BAR

then of course, the james bond style ending

OK JOHN WICK I HAVE YOU COMPLETELY TRAPPED AND TIED UP. I COULD PUT A BULLET IN YOUR HEAD AND END THIS ALL BUT IM JUST GOING TO TAKE OFF NOW AND LET A COUPLE OF MY HENCHMEN HANDLE THE JOB. I TRUST THAT THEY WILL GET THE JOB DONE FOR SURE. WELP.... SEEYA!

i'll admit i'm a cynical person but i just can't believe how lame the movie was overall. some of the fight scenes weren't bad but other than that.... yikes. still, different people will have different preferences. i like some pretty shitty horror movies that most people would just laugh at!

U7Ghu2s.gif

Seriously, did you miss the part where the whole movie is literally about a guy that kills a bunch of people because they killed his dog and stole his car?

Because that's literally it. That's the whole plot. They kill his dog and steal his car. So he kills everyone. And a freaking mafia boss shits his pants when he realizes who his son fucked with. Its hilarious. Its fun. That's the point.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
John Wick 2, then Raid crossover, then Fast/Furious triple crossover.

Sorry, will you accept a Payday 2 cross-over?

I still haven't seen John Wick, but I guess this spurs me to hunt a DVD down to watch it.

jwk94

I'm interested, John Wick was one of the best action movies I've seen in a long ass time. I want to see what they do to get Wick back in action this time because whomever does it has to be a big dumbass considering how many people Wick went through in the first movie. I also hope we got more good world building in this movie, I was happily surprised with the first movie's surprising amount of depth to its universe.

John got a new dog at the end of the film. All you gotta do is kill it.

jwk94

that dog has no connection to his wife though.

But it has a connection with him. You fuck with the dog and you fuck with him. That's all the plot you need. Oh and they could easily
bring back the dude from the first movie. We never saw him die.

I saw this movie for the first time today. It was great. I'm just realizing that they killed everyone but
the club owner and hotel owner
though. What can they do with those two?

it was okay

i'll watch it, but jeez the overreaction

people comparing it to the masterpiece that is Dredd are crazzzze give me that sequel

They are both excellent films that are very focused and intense. I preferred John Wick but i loved Dredd as well.

I hope in the sequel, Wick gets a kitten (but it also helps with the killing)

Did we see it crawl back to him? I thought Keanu crawled to the dog

There is a blood trail from the dog all the way to Keanu Reeves who was unconscious throughout. That's why it was so sad, the dog was dying and it crawled to wick to be with him during her final moments

U7Ghu2s.gif

Seriously, did you miss the part where the whole movie is literally about a guy that kills a bunch of people because they killed his dog and stole his car?

Because that's literally it. That's the whole plot. They kill his dog and steal his car. So he kills everyone. And a freaking mafia boss shits his pants when he realizes who his son fucked with. Its hilarious. Its fun. That's the point.

sounds like we agree! it was indeed hilarious

great news. i loved the first one. one of my favorite bits about the blu ray was that it included a 2.0 audio mix for "late night viewing" which basically translated to "we're going to normalize the audio so you can hear dialogue and such without gunshots and explosions being incredibly louder". gotta give 'em mad props for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom