• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jon Stewart gives no f**ks anymore, goes all in on Fox, institutional conservatism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demon Ice

Banned
Have you ever noticed that Republicans are really good at being offended by things that they are grossly guilty of?
Fox News complaining about "dishonest editing" is one of the funniest things I've ever seen

dabig2

Conservatives can take a joke, liberals on the other hand get "triggered" or cry SJW foul. It's easy to make a joke about a group if they really don't give a shit.

Loooooool! Conservative persecution complex reigns supreme not only on this board but around the world. They most certainly can't take a joke and then get super defensive and buckle down on their bullshit.

Have you ever noticed that Republicans are really good at being offended by things that they are grossly guilty of?
Fox News complaining about "dishonest editing" is one of the funniest things I've ever seen

See: Rovian tactics.

Servbot24

Banned
What? Satire and irony are often considered the highest form of wit and comedy. Slapstick would be the lowest...

I should have said that they are words which are incorrectly used to dress up sarcasm. They of course have their own meanings.

Even slapstick takes some degree of skill to execute, while sarcasm does not.

Fugu

Anyone remember this?
halfhournewshour.jpg

It was a satire news show on Fox News that is about as funny as you think it would be. It only lasted like 20 episodes but mannnnnnnn.

Hilarious

Global Warming HAHAHAHA
Right, this illustrates why there should be no conservative counterpart to The Daily Show. Many comedians have discussed the notion that if you're going to criticize a group, you should always try to "punch up”; it's funny for a poor guy to make fun of the rich but cruel for a rich guy to make fun of the poor.

A conservative satire would be satirizing cultural, ethnic and political minorities for the entertainment of largely straight, middle-class white people, and that would be both un-funny and offensive.

What? Satire and irony are often considered the highest form of wit and comedy. Slapstick would be the lowest...
Slapstick -- particularly the kind of slapstick that moves beyond simply a man being hit in the face -- doesn't get the respect it deserves. Physical comedy is straight up transcendent when used correctly.

Bill Maher regularly gets dead air for either going too far from what his audience wants to hear or going with a joke that they didn't catch. I can't understand anyone who thinks Maher is more safe and pandering than Jon Stewart.

I sampled Bill Maher's latest special and it was terrible. The guy has dad humor sensibilities once you remove the edgy political aspect.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So what you are saying is they flat out lied. That the fact is that in the districts in question the voter turnout was high? That the entire story was false? Made up?

Turnout was low, as you'd expect from a district level recall election. My guess for the distortion is either...

A. They didn't get people to say they agree with the gun control laws, but didn't vote. Colorado Springs is a fairly conservative area, and the law was quite unpopular there.

B. The Interview with the recalled politician may have been done in Denver (Even in the outdoor shots with the guy, I don't recognize the area), and they were just too lazy to go down to Colorado Springs to get real interviews with voters.

Either way, they distorted the story with the "on the street" interviews.

Turnout was low, as you'd expect from a district level recall election. My guess for the distortion is either...

A. They didn't get people to say they agree with the gun control laws, but didn't vote. Colorado Springs is a fairly conservative area, and the law was quite unpopular there.

B. The Interview with the recalled politician may have been done in Denver, and they were just too lazy to go down to Colorado Springs to get real interviews with voters.

Production budget and time might have been a reason as well. Though I guess that falls under "lazy."

MisterR

They need to have a conservative comedian - also I can agree with Megan Kelly he got nasty as he went on.

Eh I like Fox News - I watch the Kelly File I think she's pretty spot on.

There are no conservative comedians. At least not any funny ones.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Production budget and time might have been a reason as well. Though I guess that falls under "lazy."

Basically, they portrayed it as a state level election. Saying that the majority of Colorado people agreed with the law. But the recall was a state senator (or congressman), and was a local election in that district. I have to imagine the people on the Daily Show know that state house elections are voted on in individual districts.

FiggyCal

Banned
Conservatives can be funny, but it's more of an uncomfortable, unintentional funny, like Rudy Giuliani whining about the President not loving America.

It's hard to know when they're being serious though. Like he claimed afterwards that it wasn't racist because Obama's mom was white -- but then is that a joke also? I don't know!

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I will miss the new adjectives people come up with for what John Stewart did to someone this time.

Wag

They need to have a conservative comedian - also I can agree with Megan Kelly he got nasty as he went on.

Eh I like Fox News - I watch the Kelly File I think she's pretty spot on.

Dennis Miller? I mean he pretty much works for FOX these days anyways.

I hope he spends the remainder of his air time passionately ripping into Fox News. Jon Stewart isn't always fair or balanced, but it's sad that his comedy show is 100X better at it than a "news" outlet that proclaims it hundreds of times per day.

Spartacus

The fact that FOX is so popular in the USA makes the country look incredebly dump and it scares me a bit. The amount of bullshit they spread is insane. I assume people believe their bullshit and it looks bad on the whole country, It makes the usa look like the big dumb bully that starts hitting you if you make a smart remark that he can't refute, instead it hits you in the face for it and call's you dumb.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Conservatives can take a joke, liberals on the other hand get "triggered" or cry SJW foul. It's easy to make a joke about a group if they really don't give a shit.

Fox news seems to hint that "taking a joke" means playing the victim card and endless weeping about any criticism.

JC Sera

I thought the reason conservative humour doesn't work is because good humour is about punching up, not punching down
Conservatives can take a joke, liberals on the other hand get "triggered" or cry skeleton foul. It's easy to make a joke about a group if they really don't give a shit.
I really hope this is sarcastic

seeing liberal used as the left is so weird for me

Booshka

The fact that FOX is so popular in the USA makes the country look incredebly dump and it scares me a bit. The amount of bullshit they spread is insane. I assume people believe their bullshit and it looks bad on the whole country, It makes the usa look like the big dumb bully that starts hitting you if you make a smart remark that he can't refute, instead it hits you in the face for it and call's you dumb.

Lots and lots of old white people watching, and then you have jackasses like myself that hate watch occasionally because it is funny. So it has a bit of the Howard Stern effect going on, except that it is funny for the wrong reasons, and no one at Fox News is very talented, just a bunch of characters.

Fox news seems to hint that "taking a joke" means playing the victim card and endless weeping about any criticism.

I get a sick joy out of occasionally listening to conservative radio and Fox News is occassionally played in the break rooms of my office.

It's hilarious hearing pundits regularly bitch about the "liberal mainstream media" on the most watched news channel owned by a man who owns more news media the world over than any other individual. Great marketing to make the corporate beast out to be the little guy.

Blader

I think Chris Rock nailed why conservative comedians (and far that matter, far-left comedians like Bill Maher) don't work:

What about conservative comedians? You and Dennis Miller were on SNL together. Is it just because I don’t share his politics that I find him less funny, or is there something about conservative stand-up that just doesn’t work?

Yeah, he was there my first year. He used to bust my balls. He’d come into my office and say, “Hey, Rock, how’s that ‘next Eddie’7 thing working out?” Oh, he’s definitely less funny. You know where he’s going. Smart as hell, but you know where he’s going. The middle’s where it’s at, comically. I mean, what do you got? Miller, Stewart, Maher.

Miller on the right, Stewart in the middle, Maher on the left?

And the most successful guy’s …

Stewart?

Stewart’s middle-to-left, but he’s still more in the middle.

http://www.vulture.com/2014/11/chris-rock-frank-rich-in-conversation.html

draetenth

I don't really watch tv so I never really followed Jon Stewart/The Daily Show other than an episode here and there, but I thought this was a great clip.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
It's hilarious hearing pundits regularly bitch about the "liberal mainstream media" on the most watched news channel owned by a man who owns more news media the world over than any other individual. Great marketing to make the corporate beast out to be the little guy.

The "most watched news channel" gets comparatively good cable ratings of 2 million viewers in primetime (about the same as a regular season NBA game on ESPN) because no other outlet competes for the moderately right-of-center audience, almost certainly for ideological reasons.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Dennis Miller? I mean he pretty much works for FOX these days anyways.

I haven't seen him since the '90s except once on Monday Night Football. Since when is he conservative?

FLEABttn

Banned
I haven't seen him since the '90s except once on Monday Night Football. Since when is he conservative?

Since a few years after Dennis Miller Live was cancelled. He probably always was to an extent but he went off the rails thereafter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom