• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jon Stewart gives no f**ks anymore, goes all in on Fox, institutional conservatism

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's definitely true that Fox News and many on the far right have done a very impressive job of crafting every issue imaginable as a battle between left and right. American Sniper loses at the Oscars? Clearly the only reason is left wing bias! Side note: that argument reminds me of the asinine "Selma didn't get nominated=Oscars are racist" arguments from certain people.

It really boils down to the fostering of a nonstop victim persecution complex. Anything that doesn't go their way is a sign of bias. Polling science shows Mitt Romney is going to lose the election? The polls are biased, let's make our own (unscientific) polls! Vast majority of scientists believe climate change is real? Let's create our own science! History books don't love America enough? Let's create our own history books! It becomes an endless downward cycle/hivemind that really makes the party look stupid to many people.

They're caught in a catch-22. Midterm elections favor them due to older/conservative voters voting more than less conservative demographics. Yet general elections don't favor them because the white vote % is falling, younger voters lean to the left, as does every minority group in the country. So they win midterms with far right platforms, and then think they can win general elections. And then they lose the general election/presidency.

JoeMartin

While I appreciate the point he's making about Fox News and it's associated ideologues as well as the ruinous reputation they've sown of the greater republican party, I wouldn't necessarily extend it to conservatism/libertarianism as a whole, that he does really only serves to invalidate the very notion of them which he's accusing; there are reasonable republican politicians with well considered conservative mindsets, it's just a shame that they seem to be exceptions instead of the rule.

No, this was an outright manipulation. It was about the Colorado Recall Election. Few state level legislators were recalled over voted about gun laws. Daily Show went to Colorado Springs to interview the guy who was recalled, the goes "on the street" to interview the people and find out why they voted this guy out, and made a big deal over how many people said they didn't vote.

What they didn't tell you was that to get the amusing "we didn't vote" answers, they went and did the Interviews in Denver. 70 miles from the district this guy was recalled from and were obviously ineligible to vote in that district recall. If I didn't live in the Denver area, and was able to identify where they were doing these interviews, I never would have noticed.

I think the bolded part is false.

The guy who was recalled moved to Denver afterward. The Daily Show went to Denver to interview him, and did the street segment there as well.

I think it was a big enough mistake to deserve an on-air correction though. The statistics they gave (most people in Colorado supported the laws, 80% of eligible voters didn't vote) are all true. They probably considered the street segment to be purely for comedy (it also had fake angry mobs chasing Jason Jones around), with the true statistics being the substance of the report. But it undeniably creates a false impression that the voting was widespread, rather than restricted to the (more conservative) Colorado Springs.

On the whole, I think the Daily Show does a better job than most other news sources in accuracy. Certainly much better than Fox news. There was a study on that actually. NPR listeners were the most accurately informed. Daily Show was better than CNN and MSNBC.

Fox News viewers scored worse than "no news". It removes accurate knowledge instead of increasing it.

megamerican

I'm pretty sure I've seen the "Jon Stewart takes on / destroys / slams Fox News" news pieces about every other day for the past four years or so. It's gotten really stale, and when so much of his material comes from them he should be glad they're around.

I absolutely loved the Daily Show during the 2000 / 2004 presidential cycles. Since 2008 there's been a pretty distinct shift from making fun of the actual politicians, and rather going after the media. I'm not saying he's wrong but he's been beating this same dead horse for 5+ years now and it's not getting any funnier, it's just comes off as bitter.

I'm pretty sure I've seen the "Jon Stewart takes on / destroys / slams Fox News" news pieces about every other day for the past four years or so. It's gotten really stale, and when so much of his material comes from them he should be glad they're around.

I absolutely loved the Daily Show during the 2000 / 2004 presidential cycles. Since 2008 there's been a pretty distinct shift from making fun of the actual politicians, and rather going after the media. I'm not saying he's wrong but he's been beating this same dead horse for 5+ years now and it's not getting any funnier, it's just comes off as bitter.

I mean, if the problem doesn't go away . . .

I can think of one conservative comedian besides Dennis Miller and that would be Nick DiPaolo who has been on Howard Stern and Opie and Anthony. I've also seen him live. He's pretty good.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The agenda against Fox News is nuts.

wat

They lie. Constantly. Repeatedly. On a daily basis. Truth does not matter to them. Megyn Kelly, Sean Hannity, the entire Fox and Friends crew--the vast majority of them have no integrity whatsoever. If this was some niche show, it wouldn't be a big deal. Unfortunately, it is a colossal and popular news organization that influences literally millions of people who don't want to do research on their own. It is doing a huge disservice to the country both presently and for the future.

Some of us who are old enough before cable news, we remember how it was with Ted Koppel, Peter Jennings, Tom Brokaw era. Before CNN before Fix News. We used to have regular news.

Fox News is a cancer and it changed news as we knew it. it is a perversion of news.

Today it's just news entertainment

Amir0x

Banned
The agenda against Fox News is nuts.

If by 'nuts' you mean empirically backed up by data from various independent studies about the veracity of the information in their news broadcasts, then sure.

And yes, MSNBC is just as nuts for the left. It does not make Fox News better to say that.

megamerican

I mean, if the problem doesn't go away . . .

It'll likely go away naturally over time when cable is dropped more and more, and their aging demos fade away. If anything Stewart's attacks just feed them material back and forth, each with their own persecution complex.

Geist-

No one knew how long Stewart was going to stay when Oliver went to HBO. Looking back him sliding into the Daily Show would have been the best option but sometimes things just don't work out.

Maybe it's because I don't have cable and can watch whatever catches my interest, but honestly Oliver moving on to his own show on HBO is the best outcome. As much as I liked the Daily Show, I just think that Last Week Tonight is a better, higher quality show that is surprisingly more effective at bringing attention to important issues (probably because the most important segments are available on Youtube), while retaining it's satirical tone.

Hale-XF11

Some of us who are old enough before cable news, we remember how it was with Ted Koppel, Peter Jennings, Tom Brokaw era. Before CNN before Fix News. We used to have regular news.

Fox News is a cancer and it changed news as we knew it. it is a perversion of news.

Oh man, it's nice to know that someone else remembers when news on television used to be actual news. It was a whole other world back then. Investigative reporting was much more prominent and respected. Now, not so much with all the made-up fluff going around.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Haha. "How do you poison a cyanide factory?" =p While it is hilarious how terrible Fox News is, it blows my mind how many people actually watch the tripe.

Dennis

Banned
I don't get why there isn't some law or regulations against what's going on at Fox. It's literal propaganda with fascist, racist, sexist, homophobic, bigoted distortions of reality.

Because America has freedom of expression.

benjipwns

Banned
I don't get why there isn't some law or regulations against what's going on at Fox. It's literal propaganda with fascist, racist, sexist, homophobic, bigoted distortions of reality.
1. First Amendment.
B. It'd be totalitarian and we're trying to pretend we're still a liberal and republican society here.

Oh man, it's nice to know that someone else remembers when news on television used to be actual news. It was a whole other world back then. Investigative reporting was much more prominent and respected. Now, not so much with all the made-up fluff going around.
Ah, yes, the good ol days of "real" news when upstanding men just told it how it was and journalists were free of bias or agenda:
http://articles.latimes.com/1993-02-10/news/mn-1335_1_gm-pickup
http://www.aim.org/media-monitor/the-cbs-cold-case-files/
http://www.aim.org/publications/aim_report/1993/03a.html
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1989-06-14/news/8902090470_1_alar-apple-juice-natural-carcinogens

ronito

My favorite lie was the one about how the US has never been in control of another nation. From the guy who helped mastermind the Iraqi occupation. That's incredible.

~Kinggi~

Banned
This is what happens when you spend as much time as him looking crazy in the face. He is even admitting it now. Bill Maher had this happen to him some time ago. Wouldnt be surprised if Fox loves this shit. Whole channel is structured around extremes and shock value. All this crazy ass footage does is get some people to turn on their channel to see what crazy thing they will say next.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I think the bolded part is false.

The guy who was recalled moved to Denver afterward. The Daily Show went to Denver to interview him, and did the street segment there as well.

I made mention in a later post that I thought the interview may have been done in Denver. I didn't recognize any of the outdoor shots with the guy. Was probably a combination of "for comedy" and not wanting to make the hour and half drive to Colorado Springs to do those interviews.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The problem with setting up a conservative comedian is that the present day GOP and neocon conservatism is predicated on punching down when it comes to throwing shade. The closest thing to a GOP comedian we've seen is really Glenn Beck, come to think of it. He actually goes for a laugh in his crazy way and attempts satire. But it comes across as delusional insanity and conspiracy theory.

I'd agree in fact that Stewart has gotten long in the tooth with ripping Fox News to shreds. Yet it's not his fault, ultimately. I wouldn't be surprised if it's truthfully a significant part of why he's moving on from The Daily Show. The dominionist neocon movement and the Fox propaganda corporation are the country's long present-day nightmare that keeps going on and on. After a certain point there's not much more you can say about it.

Ultima_5

everyone should watch the jon stewart on the last episode of comedians in cars getting coffee with seinfeld. you can see he's getting worn out. I hope after taking some time off from the daily show he comes back with something amazing.

Darknight

I imagine future terror cells and domestic terrorist will exist in the US due to influence from outlets such as Fox News. Im sure there are some crazy asshole already gearing up as more and more right wing nuts feel they are "losing" their country but Fox really is creating a really terrible view on real life with its constant lies.

benjipwns

Banned
The problem with setting up a conservative comedian is that the present day GOP and neocon conservatism is predicated on punching down when it comes to throwing shade. The closest thing to a GOP comedian we've seen is really Glenn Beck, come to think of it. He actually goes for a laugh in his crazy way and attempts satire. But it comes across as delusional insanity and conspiracy theory.
I guess it depends on how you define "conservative comedian" because there are comedians that are probably conservative but don't do very much politics in their material.

Jay Leno is supposedly slightly conservative/Republican but his jokes on politics were always tame softball stuff.

You have the more libertarian-conservative types like Greg Gutfeld, Colin Quinn, Jim Norton, Anthony Cumia, etc. who are all over the place on different issues and don't fit into one box that well.

The B.S. of A. on Glenn Beck's network was probably more in that libertarianish group but I thought it had a quite good amount of funny segments:
Fact-Free News Reporting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbbI04_TE6I
Ted Cruz: Single Lapel Pin Conservative: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7uJXBUx8n4
Styrofoam Lobbyist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dLh2j6OxyE
Video Game Violence - 1984 Edition: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvziONmDjrs
Sebelius Web Design: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEYGWam8k5E
Rush to Judgment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd337AryZa8
Team Zimmerman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhtuVTyQRNI

Toothless

Kinda related kinda not: the entire coverage of American Sniper on Fox News has been utterly hilarious. I ate at a Burger King on opening weekend of that movie, and Fox was on. They went on for the entire time I was there about how it's a patriotic movie, and how Seth Rogen was an "obnoxious, overpaid, Hollywood brat"... literally a month after The Interview was supposed to save free speech for all.

And now they're complaining that it was snubbed at the Oscars, confirming Hollywood's liberal bias? Utterly hysterical seeing how the fact that it was nominated for Best Picture was one of the biggest surprises at the nomination announcements. And I laughed at them saying "American Sniper made more money than Birdman; Hollywood hates everyone." In the last six years, only two BP winners made more than 100M at the domestic box office. That's no reason to complain.

(Also, major respect to Jon Stewart for not being a Boyhood hater.)

danm999

Whether or not there's something innately incompatible between conservatism and a satirical comedy program, all the attempts to create a conservative Daily Show thus far were extraordinarily lazy.

They saw the Daily Show was popular, and Jon Stewart was influential, and thought they too should have some of that, and just slapped something together and expected it to work.

What they were missing was; someone with Jon Stewart's talent, people with the Daily Show's writing/production and correspondents talents, the desire to be funny first and influential second and the years of experience and trial and error it takes to get any show into it's groove.

They saw function and attempted to replicate it by copying form.

benjipwns

Banned
I always liked P.J. O'Rouke but I dunno where his humor fits nowadays
I've always found him to be more of a general humorist first who has conservative/libertarian views which seeps into his work. So like his one book about his travels he talks about some of the silly things (to his pov) foreign governments do like how Sweden has a Ministry for Culture and Sport or whatever. So it's more of a "everyone agrees this is silly" libertarian view. At least I think there's stuff in Parliament of Whores, Eat the Rich, and Don't Vote! that would amuse people of most any political view. Especially since he doesn't take it seriously, they're supposed to be laid back books, not white papers.

Though I haven't read all his books or columns.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
1. First Amendment.
B. It'd be totalitarian and we're trying to pretend we're still a liberal and republican society here.

Ah, yes, the good ol days of "real" news when upstanding men just told it how it was and journalists were free of bias or agenda:
http://articles.latimes.com/1993-02-10/news/mn-1335_1_gm-pickup
http://www.aim.org/media-monitor/the-cbs-cold-case-files/
http://www.aim.org/publications/aim_report/1993/03a.html
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1989-06-14/news/8902090470_1_alar-apple-juice-natural-carcinogens

The first amendment is about freedom of expression, not the freedom to lie, deceive, and distort the truth.

benjipwns

Banned
George Will and David Brooks are pretty good conservative comedians too. *assistant whispers in ear* What do you mean they're serious?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Fun fact: Fox News is allowed to have no journalistic integrity because it is classified under entertainment.

Neat.

I really have no idea how you can classify yourself as "entertainment" but still call yourself "News," while presenting your shows like newscasts

I always love this goofy myth.

is it a myth?

my cable menu has the whole channel as blue and the other networks (cnn, cnn hl, and msnbc) as some other color except during their prime time nonsense

i mean im not surprised that sounds dumb and totally made up but i just remember the colors

vikki

The Daily Show seems to go after CNN more than it goes after Fox News. Fox was asking for it this time though. They said his name, they know he'll have a rebuttal. We've seen what happens when people step to Jon. Just ask Jim Cramer or Tucker Carlson.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
The Daily Show seems to go after CNN more than it goes after Fox News. Fox was asking for it this time though. They said his name, they know he'll have a rebuttal. We've seen what happens when people step to Jon. Just ask Jim Cramer or Tucker Carlson.

Cramer knew what was coming, knew he was in no danger of being fired, and his only penance was to get made fun of by Jon for 10 minutes. He just sat there with a goofy grin on his face like he was saying, "I can't believe this is it".

By contrast, Tucker was outright blindsided on his own show and had absolutely no clue what hit him.

Blackage

He goes after CNN because he has some slither of hope they can be better then what they are lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom