• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jon Tron Show - Reviews, Lists, Madness

Nekofrog

Banned
I gathered that much from the comments on the video. I don't even know who those people are. Donkey, Leafy, h3h3... And apparently no one on my Twitter does either (I follow a lot of GAF members) because no one has said a word about it. Even JonTron hasn't acknowledged it himself.

If this guy is going for sarcasm, he needs to make it more clear so no one thinks it's real.

I love good satire though.

Dunkey is the king.

This was easy to follow because I follow Jon Tron and the circle of youtube friends:

Filthy Frank
JonTron
H3h3
SleepyCabin (Oney, stamper, psychicpebbles, etc...)
Super best friends
Dunkey

etc..

these guys are all friends and do shit together occasionally

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
This was easy to follow because I follow Jon Tron and the circle of youtube friends:

Filthy Frank
JonTron
H3h3
Super best friends
Dunkey

etc..

Out of everyone on that list, I only know JonTron and Super Best Friends. I don't think I've ever heard either of them mention the others before.

Out of everyone on that list, I only know JonTron and Super Best Friends. I don't think I've ever heard either of them mention the others before.

It's shit you follow from podcasts and twitter.

JonTron made Game Grumps with Arin [Egoraptor]

Egoraptor was part of the social group of Newgrounds animators

Jon became friends with all of these old NG animators from that social circle (stamper, OneyNG, Psychicpebbles, etc...)

When they split, Jon moved to NY. PsychicPebbles also lives in NY. The troll in the fast food games video, and the voice of Yoda in the Starcade videos is Zach.

The guys in SleepyCast, the podcast, are always talking about how when they're at New York they hang out with Jon. Heck Zack (psychicpebbles) told a story in the podcast recently about how he and Jon went out drinking with other NY friends and did shit together.

As to H3H3 and Filthy Frank, you only need look as far as the Filthy Frank prank video that has Jon in it

https://youtu.be/_wldE_4xjVQ?t=423

Jon has made a video that had h3h3 in it (he's the kool aid man that jon punches and spits out the kool aid). H3h3 has had Filthy Frank and Jon in his videos too.

As to super best friends, they've been in sleepycast and stuff like that.

edit: also Sleepycast recently had Jon in their podcast for a jontron filled episode, they talk about shit they've done together and answer fan questions.

Zubz

Banned

Filthy Frank
JonTron
H3h3
Super best friends
Dunkey

etc..

It's kind of sad that the Continue guys aren't a part of this cabal. I mean, I haven't seen Continue in forever (Or really, Jon; I haven't watched anything since the last Starcade, and even that was only because I knew
Arin
guest starred), but they used to be, like, crazy close with Jon.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I know the origin of GameGrumps. I was there from episode 1. Doesn't mean I know who the other people are. I don't follow RoosterTeeth either, you wouldn't expect me to know anything about them.

This parody video was posted without any context. How's an outsider supposed to know?

Edit: Continue? is awesome. But it doesn't seem anyone else on GAF likes them. I mentioned them once and all I got was "They yell too much." They're still pretty close with Jon. I live in Bucks County, PA. They mentioned Doylestown by name in one of the latest ContinueQuest episodes.

It's kind of sad that the Continue guys aren't a part of this cabal. I mean, I haven't seen Continue in forever (Or really, Jon; I haven't watched anything since the last Starcade, and even that was only because I knew
Arin
guest starred), but they used to be, like, crazy close with Jon.

Actually it's funny you mention it, Dominic (one of the originally members of Continue) has mentioned hanging out with Jon.

He used to have a podcast with Josh (other member of Continue) called Fantasy Fiction. In it they talked about hanging out with Jon in New York whenever they headed there. So I don't know if they're SUPER close. But at the very least Dominic and other Continue members are in the opening of the 'Are you afraid of the dark' jontron video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoP-kUlbmn0

so they're at least friends in the same sense all of the members of Normal Boots are.

If you're curious about following Dominic, he has followed the spirit of his Fantasy Fiction podcast into a new one called Tales from the Tavern. Basically every week he has a new guest and they read fantasy stories they write the week before, comedic styled.

I know the origin of GameGrumps. I was there from episode 1. Doesn't mean I know who the other people are. I don't follow RoosterTeeth either, you wouldn't expect me to know anything about them.

This parody video was posted without any context. How's an outsider supposed to know?

Edit: Continue? is awesome. But it doesn't seem anyone else on GAF likes them. I mentioned them once and all I got was "They yell too much." They're still pretty close with Jon. I live in Bucks County, PA. They mentioned Doylestown by name in one of the latest ContinueQuest episodes.

It wasn't a penis measuring competition on who knows GG the most, I was just giving context on how these people would know each other since you said you've never heard them mention each other.

Does he? I haven't really kept up with them since he stopped being a regular a while back. In the podcast I mentioned he talked with Josh about things here and there they were doing with Continue.

Has he made any videos with josh lately? After the break-up of the podcast out of nowhere the small fanbase thought it was another GG break up where they pretend they're still friendly but completely ignore each other after being so close for so long

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Does he? I haven't really kept up with them since he stopped being a regular a while back. In the podcast I mentioned he talked with Josh about things here and there they were doing with Continue.

Has he made any videos with josh lately? After the break-up of the podcast out of nowhere the small fanbase thought it was another GG break up where they pretend they're still friendly but completely ignore each other after being so close for so long
Who, Dom? I don't know what Dom does aside from when he shows up on Continue. It's not all the time, just whenever he's in town. I will say that usually when Dom is there, one of the three is missing. I guess it could be Josh. Why, did they have a fight or something? Josh was Dom's replacement when he left way back. I do know that. But I've seen a couple episodes with all 4 in the past.

Who, Dom? I don't know what Dom does aside from when he shows up on Continue. It's not all the time, just whenever he's in town. I will say that usually when Dom is there, one of the three is missing. I guess it could be Josh. Why, did they have a fight or something? Josh was Dom's replacement when he left way back. I do know that. But I've seen a couple episodes with all 4 in the past.

Ah. Yeah, Dom and Josh had a podcast together that got a nice little following as it had a cool and silly premise of writing a fantasy story the week before, usually really crude and funny tales. They seemed really close all things considering.

Regardless we've probably given heart attacks to plenty of people waiting for new Jon videos thinking there's a new one haha, I've derailed enough.

jnWake

We were derailed as soon as the link to the video was posted and everyone started saying "I've unsubscribed" without marking their sarcasm.

A video about Jontron being "the bird" is obviously a joke and hence all "serious" posts after it are sarcasm. It's your fault if you thought anyone was serious.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
A video about Jontron being "the bird" is obviously a joke and hence all "serious" posts after it are sarcasm. It's your fault if you thought anyone was serious.
I thought it was serious up to that part. Then I breathed a sigh of relief.

The problem is the replies in this thread were way too serious looking.

I don't understand what you're saying. Dunkey is totally upfront and serious about it, jontron is a two faced scumbag. Also his real identity was revealed. Time to pack up and leave

Neiteio

Haha, in the Dunkey video, pause the video when it shows the IMDB page for the "actor" playing Jontron, and read the description. XD

Neiteio

Yeah a "rant" is like at the bottom of the list of videos I'm interested in watching. jon plz.
It was really chill and easygoing for a "rant." I enjoyed it, even though I'm not familiar with WoW.

He does a good job of explaining the situation. Like he says, with something like OoT, you can pop in the game and boom, you can play it. But with a MMO, the dev can change the experience or shut it down at any time.

Sounds like a bummer situation for the fans who simply wanted to play vanilla WoW. I bet many of them would've happily paid subs for it.

Also a bummer for people who want to try vanilla WoW and can't. I'm going through EarthBound, in full, for the first time on N3DS. It's such a great game, and I'm thankful it's been preserved on N3DS and WiiU. Wish MMO fans had similar options for their favorite games.

It was really chill and easygoing for a "rant." I enjoyed it, even though I'm not familiar with WoW.

He does a good job of explaining the situation. Like he says, with something like OoT, you can pop in the game and boom, you can play it. But with a MMO, the dev can change the experience or shut it down at any time.

Sounds like a bummer situation for the fans who simply wanted to play vanilla WoW. I bet many of them would've happily paid subs for it.

Alright. I can understand that from a history/archival aspect. It's just that when I see a rant on YouTube it usually isn't a good watch.

Neiteio

Alright. I can understand that from a history/archival aspect. It's just that when I see a rant on YouTube it usually isn't a good watch.
I don't usually like YouTube rants either, but Jontron's warm personality made this one fun. :)

One thing I'd like to see him do more is just take time to talk about games. I'd especially like to hear him talk about the games he likes.

An episode dedicated to Rare would be amazing.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
This was a tame rant really. I liked it. If you want a real rant you watch Angry Joe. Jon is just passionate and disappointed as are a lot of people.

Note: I don't play WoW but I can understand peoples anger.

Edit: Wow, (No pun intended) I forgot about that Blizzard answer. "No. And you don't want to do that either." Fuck you. If they didn't want to do it, they wouldn't be asking for it. Blizzard seems detached from reality.

Neiteio

Really good episode from start to finish.

Nun-Chicks, Flight, and the ending were the highlights imo.
My favorite part was where he was flipping eggs onto the stove, haha.

It's a drip-feed from Jontron these days, but his work is always warm and inviting like a cherished book, and just as fun to revisit.

I'm happy for him that he keeps securing sponsorships, too.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
0aa.gif

Absolutely wonderful. This is going to be my new go-to "you did not just say that" gif.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Kind of hope his next video is a video game review. I don't mind the occasional movie review (in fact, they can have some of his best jokes, I LOVE his Goosebumps review), but if you count the Star Wars Holiday Special, this makes 3 movie reviews in a row.

Blues1990

At first I thought, "Okay, the movie seems alright. It's probably just a dumb early 1990's pre-teen movie, & Jon's just being too hard on it."

Then the skateboard talks...

Any reason Jon takes so long in releasing videos these days?

He always says that he has a lot of other projects on his hands that will be unveiled one day, but he's been saying that for years and we never really see what that is, and if that's even a real thing. He also says that he's just one guy doing all the editing, which is a fair enough excuse, but still, two months per video is a pretty long time, even if production value has gone up a lot recently. The truth though is that in one episode of GG he mentioned how it is hard to keep up the motivation to make the videos, and that's definitely the big thing. That and laziness, which Egoraptor also mentioned.

Regardless, this was a great episode for sure.

Neiteio

Let him take his time. Better for creativity. You don't want him doing this stuff half-heartedly. I know we're like baby birds in a nest always crying for the next meal, but I bet a lot more goes into making this stuff than we realize or fully appreciate.

Let him take his time. Better for creativity. You don't want him doing this stuff half-heartedly. I know we're like baby birds in a nest always crying for the next meal, but I bet a lot more goes into making this stuff than we realize or fully appreciate.

I didn't see anyone complaining, asking anyone to do something half-heartedly or crying for more. Relax, buddy.

Jon never mentions his other projects ever. I remember being surprised by hearing Jon voice a character in the animated series "TOME" (need to get back to watching these) made by Cris Niosi.

As long Jon keeps his sass and class, I dont mind~ plus its not like he has a patreon running or anything so hes not forced to do quick uploads.

Jon's videos are very dense and tightly edited - plus, they're quite long and require budgeting for props, costumes, etc. He also probably wants to live a normal life on the side. I can't imagine making them any faster as a one-man-show without the whole thing turning into a draining and un-fun process.

You gotta think about the logistics that go into actually making a JonTron.

Jontron's his fulltime job? If so, and he lives in new york he must be banking from his few videos (which is doubtful) or he's barely making ends meet and he's somehow making due.

Knowing how much non consistent-content Youtubers make, I'm gonna guess he's barely making ends meet unless he got a REALLY good deal out of the Audible partnership.

Edit: However, his daily average is 300k views meaning around 10 mil views a month. Watch time would be good on his videos since they aren't short, so he could have a pretty decent CPM. It's quite possible he can survive on that.

Knowing how much non consistent-content Youtubers make, I'm gonna guess he's barely making ends meet unless he got a REALLY good deal out of the Audible partnership.

which is doubtful considering audible sponsors everybody and their mums. Well if he's happy I guess but with his current release schedule he should consider getting a part time job.

Top Bottom