• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jon Tron Show - Reviews, Lists, Madness

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I hate it when YouTubers get all political. I'm thinking we're going to see a lot more of this.

Well, I guess I'm done with JonTron then.

Probably should have known he was a dumbass back when he dropped a bunch of n-bombs to be funny in that episode of Game Grumps.

You guys need to stop listening to opinions of youtubers you like, almost all of the big ones would be banned quickly by NeoGAF standards. He's not saying anything most people right now aren't saying anyways. Even hardcore democrat friends of mine are in the same boat saying the exact same shit.

RainForce

Banned
Yeah, anyone that's ever been on Sleepycast is not going to align with the political consensus of GAF, nor are most Youtubers. That's just how it is.

I think Jon has a point, but maybe isn't fully expressing what he means the right way.

I hate it when YouTubers get all political. I'm thinking we're going to see a lot more of this.

Poor guy didn't learn from the last time he tried to get political.

Just stick to making funny videos on the internet, Jon.

He's a human first, and a Youtuber second. He doesn't exist solely to please you.

Entitled posts like these are horrible. He's free to his opinion, like anyone else. I do agree that it's a mistake on his half to discuss politics publicly as he's a comedian of sorts and it can destroy the perception that people have on him, but nevertheless he has the freedom of speech just like anyone else.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
He's a human first, and a Youtuber second. He doesn't exist solely to please you.

Entitled posts like these are horrible. He's free to his opinion, like anyone else. I do agree that it's a mistake on his half to discuss politics publicly as he's a comedian of sorts and it can destroy the perception that people have on him, but nevertheless he has the freedom of speech just like anyone else.
When your main job and speciality is talking about video games, it's usually not a good idea to dive head first into topics of religion or politics. Just for this very reason.

Although, I watched a video last night on Game Soup's channel where one of them played Enter the Dungeon and the other talked about why he voted for Trump. And shockingly the comments were civil.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I kind of get the impression that Jon doesn't really give a fuck about any of this and he's not really in any hurry to learn. Did he even know what Brietbart was before doing the interview?

Really Jon?

CxlK5jLUAAADz_Q.jpg

Really Jon?

CxlK5jLUAAADz_Q.jpg

Sorry for being ignorant here but........what am I supposed to be seeing in this picture?

EDIT: So he is following Bribart.......okay? I think it is normal to follow someone on twitter or fb after they just interviewed you. Is this Briebart guy that bad? I really do not know who he is. Interview did not even seem bad can someone care to explain a bit?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Sorry for being ignorant here but........what am I supposed to be seeing in this picture?

can't speak for the person in the middle, but Breitbart is essentially thinly veiled racist/sexist/xenophobic nonsense, while Infowars is full on conspiracy theory nutjobbery.

edit: had some thoughts on this but I decided not to keep them. It's late over here and I'd prefer to not spark discussion with my midnight ramblings.

Corpekata

Banned

EDIT: So he is following Bribart.......okay? I think it is normal to follow someone on twitter or fb after they just interviewed you. Is this Briebart guy that bad? I really do not know who he is. Interview did not even seem bad can someone care to explain a bit?

He's also following people like the infowars guy on the right, a site that spreads stuff like Sandy Hook was a hoax, 9/11 was an inside job, etc.

Just do a cursory google search for Breibart headlines to see the type of content they're infamous for: https://www.google.nl/search?q=brei...ved=0ahUKEwjKmbaY17TQAhXqKsAKHU8_BYsQ_AUICSgC

Breibart's the type of news outlet that makes Fox News seem fair & balanced.

Is it possible that he's subbed for reasons other than he believes in the content? Hard for me to see him as "that guy" but I don't keep up with him outside of his videos.

Edit: OH. He did an interview with them. Well... I dunno then. That's... ahem.

Thanks for the responses guys. Hmm....I still think he only followed because of the interview, cant speak for the infowars one though. Maybe he just dosent know just like he said he barely knows who or what Gamergate is.

RainForce

Banned
To be fair, following someone on Twitter doesn't necessarily mean you support them and their views or even like them. Hell, I'm following Trump and the guy's my most hated living person and probably in the top 5 when including non-living.

That being said, actually doing an interview for Breitbart should be pretty damn scathing. But at the same time, the fact the interview itself is actually mostly apolitical (and surprisingly not terrible) has me wondering if Jon legit has no fucking clue what he's doing here.

Wonder what his good friend over at H3H3 thinks about this since Ethan actually has some political knowledge and, you know, actually voted for Hillary.

Dugna

To be fair, following someone on Twitter doesn't necessarily mean you support them and their views or even like them. Hell, I'm following Trump and the guy's my most hated living person and probably in the top 5 when including non-living.

That being said, actually doing an interview for Breitbart should be pretty damn scathing. But at the same time, the fact the interview itself is actually mostly apolitical (and surprisingly not terrible) has me wondering if Jon legit has no fucking clue what he's doing here.

Wonder what his good friend over at H3H3 thinks about this since Ethan actually has some political knowledge and, you know, actually voted for Hillary.

H3H3 response tweet to one of Jon's tweets https://twitter.com/h3h3productions/status/800059250898714624

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The acting from the Sony guys in this video are making me think of that cheesy Star Fox 64 video Nintendo put out in the 90s. As well as literally every other promotional video from a gaming company during that time. Trying too much to be your buddy.

Anung

Un Rama
I'll still watch his videos (separate a person from their work and all that) but I am losing respect for Jon at an alarming rate.

This isn't that surprising after watching Game Grumps. They openly talked about how much they censored themselves on the show, which they forgot or didn't do a couple of times. It was pretty obvious that they were casual racists off camera. That demographic that says racist things, while maintaining that they aren't racist. They're wealthy and white, so yeah.

RK128

This recent news has me unfollowing him and unsubscribing to him. Shame to hear this about JonTron but it is his life, so he does what he wants with it.

But not going to be watching his content any longer (or at least for the next few months).

I get this is GAF so alarmist I ALWAYS KNEW HE WAS A SECRET RACIST posts were to be expected, but I'll absolutely agree Jon is fucking awful at dealing with any and all sorts of criticism and it'd explain the revolving door of people who work with him and then suddenly never mention him again.

Like christ, how angry do you have to be from from talking about the protests (which to be perfectly honest, I've seen tons of other popular youtuber's talk about negatively with even less of Jon's lack of tact yet still being smart enough to not set themselves on fire) to doing an interview with fucking Brietbart to discuss the corrupt media in the span of a couple days?

Going off previous dramas I don't expect him to even to begin to acknowledge any of PB's tweets pointing out the hypocrisy while he continues milking the controversy points. You can think people are being ridiculous on both sides and have a legitimate moderate position (or even lean left/right on a position) without just publicly imploding over a slightly bruised ego.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
This recent news has me unfollowing him and unsubscribing to him. Shame to hear this about JonTron but it is his life, so he does what he wants with it.

But not going to be watching his content any longer (or at least for the next few months).
At the rate he puts out videos, you'll probably miss maybe one or two.

I mean, wasn't he a gamergater, or at least tilted that way?

People honestly shouldn't be surprised that he fits the stereotypes at this point.
Most I remember with Jon and Gamergate is he got wrapped up in it via his connection to Quinn (they didn't get on with each other on a failed 'game jam' TV show) where incidentally his initial tweets were essentially 'why is there this huge drama over Quinn this is really weird and dumb lol' but Jon being Jon had to semi-jump on the whole "SJW culture is killing creativity" bandwagon until he publicly called out GG a few months later. Whether that was genuine or something a PR agent/lawyer told them to do is up in the air but if you were to ask him I don't think he'd have considered himself one.

It wasn't like, TotalBiscuit levels of sticking with GG for a year and then enacting major historical revisionism with his involvement at any rate. The dude likes crude, sometimes dark humor and honestly I'm the same way; I'm a big fan of the Sleepy Cabin guys and they go into that sort of humor hard, but unlike legitimately neo-nazi sources it all has to be taken as a joke. I can fully accept people can't do that and think lesser of people who can. For me it's all about context.

In this specific case, the context isn't one of humor being taken the wrong way but rather Jon being a big baby over some admittedly uncalled for abuse (again) and purposely going on sites that aren't so much 'controversial' as they are 'openly alt-right/ white nationalist' as a platform for his temper tantrum. Him doing an interview with Brietbart doesn't make him a neo-nazi KKK grand dragon supreme, but it does speak absolute volumes about how little of a shit he gives about being fair and balanced concerning complex political issues when his ego is on the line.

EDIT: Zach (Psychic Pebbles) makes a better case in defense of Jon during that twitter debate between himself and PBG but it still seems more like damage control on behalf of a friend who otherwise is silent and seems dead set on not acknowledging any of the immediate clashing issues with this given the content of his interview.

Top Bottom