• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JonTron Releases a Statement

Status
Not open for further replies.

L Thammy

Somehwat proving my above point. And you're 100% correct. But how would he even show that to us?

Adjust your behaviour so the event doesn't happen again. When a related conversation pops up, take a position based on your improved understanding. Make some attempt to help people you've harmed. Penance is not that hard to figure out.

What I want to say is that, regardless of opinions, nothing can be discussed. It's just pitchforks, whether they are justified or not.

People have made up their mind because JonTron's statements are blatantly racist and hateful. We should know that those are harmful because we exist in a world where we have seen how horrifically harmful those are. If you're trying to promote or defend those statements and people criticize you, maybe it's pitchforks, but it's pitchforks raised against genuinely harmful and hateful ideas. If people's minds cannot be swayed on why those are harmful, it's because they take some enjoyment from ideas that they know are harmful and hateful and genuinely don't care about how destructive or evil those ideas are.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Well, this is quite correct.

It's modern-day witch hunt. The mob has a suspicion. The mob's anger won't be quenched until they'll see the blood.

It all comes down to moral certainty and suspicion.

If he apologizes, the mob will say he's an hypocrite who's only faking. If he doesn't apologize then he's only inciting more anger. In every case he remains the enemy of society that needs to be taken down.

When the mob will see the blood then it will quickly disperse... Until the next witch hunt comes up.
Equating blatant murder based solely on misogyny with people being angry at a racist POS. Great job.

Tommy DJ

What the fuck are you even saying.

If you support the words of Steve King and David Duke with regards to race, how he fuck am I not going to make up my mind about you being a goddamn racist?

JonTron brought this on himsef by literally supporting the KKK's stance on race. There's no grey area, you're a racist if you support their position there.

PeterGAF

Banned
Adjust your behaviour. Penance is not that hard to figure out.
Well yeah that's how he'd actually atone for it in his real every day life, but my point is that I doubt the reaction from everyone would be any different. An apology statement would come across as hollow. I know I wouldn't give him the benefit of the doubt.

@MUWANdo

Banned
What I want to say is that, regardless of opinions, nothing can be discussed. It's just pitchforks, whether they are justified or not.

I don't think this is true--I think a lot of people were expecting or at least hoping for an iota of contrition or self-reflection from JT and the discussion here would be much different if that were the case. If it seems like people already made up their mind it's because his statement is just an affirmation of the beliefs and attitude people have been discussing all week, but that wasn't necessarily a foregone conclusion.

Nepenthe

This is a thread about a "statement", whatever it contains or might contain. But regardless, people already made their mind. Nothing in that statement is going to change anything, in a way or another.

An audience getting mad that you repeated the dumb shit that made them turn on you in the first place isn't an example of confirmation bias. If I slap you once, and you get mad, and then I slap you with my other hand, you still have the right to be mad.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not even taking any position, I'm just pointing at something I observe about this thread, and that is very obvious:

people already made their mind.

This is a thread about a "statement", whatever it contains or might contain. But regardless, people already made their mind. Nothing in that statement is going to change anything, in a way or another. So what are we discussing here?

It's similar to Pewdiepie's case, but not because of the argument. But because, as in Pewdiepie's case, people already made their mind.

So what now? What happens when people already made their mind? People will just search for more confirmation for what they are already believe. It's just more confirmation bias.

(if instead you want my *personal* opinion I'll say I see Pewdiepie's case as the opposite of this one. PDP was making offensive jokes, but jokes. We can discuss whether offensive jokes are okay or not (hello, Charlie Hebdo). JonTron instead shared quite ridiculous political ideas, so the debate is justified and deserved. He meant what he said.)

No, he just needs to stop saying and doing racist things. The end. It's disingenuous to act as if there's nothing he could do. What he could do is incredibly simple but he refuses to do it because he actually believes and supports deeply racist and hateful ideals

Moonlight

Banned
He absolutely deserves to be held accountable for his words but if people don't give him a chance to actually change then who cares how he responds. We're just going to treat him the same way no matter what.
'People' aren't responsible for whether or not he changes. The onus is on him, and if he does try to win people back, he would have to fully understand that skepticism is not only expected, but warranted. People will treat him differently when it's clear there's a different person to treat. It's as simple as that.

ChrisD

I am friends with most of them and I assure you they are not.

+ another half dozen posts in the same vein

That's really nice to hear. It's not that I've ever felt any of them could be, guess I was more just thinking out loud. Saw somebody say earlier in the thread that they felt bad for JonTron fans (not those defending anything; the ones who quit watching out of principle), and it got me thinking along the lines of, "How would it feel to see somebody you're a really big fan of turn out to be what JonTron turned out to be?" And heartbroken is most certainly what I'd feel.

Of course, EZA is a different thing entirely, being a group that very frequently interacts with each other in live settings. It would have shown by now if even one of them had such, um, "views" as JonTron.

Sorry for the "post-n-run" and not replying something like this earlier. It is nice to see so much reassurance from people that they're the great bunch I see - and expect to continue to see - them as.

An audience getting mad that you repeated the dumb shit that made them turn on you in the first place isn't an example of confirmation bias. If I slap you once, and you get mad, and then I slap you with my other hand, you still have the right to be mad.

Well, yes. But read this thread. There's PLENTY of straw men arguments. There's plenty of misrepresentation and exaggeration.

It's not a discussion the moment everything gets systematically misrepresented.

How do you deal with people like JonTron if not by challenging those ideas? And how can you expect being convincing or obtaining any result when the discussion revolves around convenient exaggeration and unsubtle name calling? You aren't arguing with JonTron, you're arguing with a convenient puppet you put on the chair to better support your own argument.

The result is just another loud feud that only makes everything worse and people even less tolerant than usual.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Well, yes. But read this thread. There's PLENTY of straw men arguments. There's plenty of misrepresentation and exaggeration.

How do you deal with people like JonTron if not by challenging those ideas? And how can you expect being convincing or obtaining any result when the discussion revolves around convenient exaggeration and unsubtle name calling?

The result is just another loud feud that only makes everything worse and people even less tolerant than usual.
Receipts. You sure seem eager to frame Jon as a victim of a mob when it's pretty goddamn clear cut why people are pissed. Especially after this faux apology.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member

How do you deal with people like JonTron if not by challenging those ideas? And how can you expect being convincing or obtaining any result when the discussion revolves around convenient exaggeration and unsubtle name calling?

Show me any misrepresentation and exaggeration. Have you looked into what he said? How exactly is someone supposed to exaggerate that?

ChrisD

is this the swedish nazi guy or the american nazi guy, I can't keep up

American. Thread on him was last week, I think. He's the one that debated with the Destiny dude through Twitch. Made the "minorities shouldn't dilute the White gene pool" comment along with a lot of other dumb, racist, sexist, misogynist stuff.

Challenge what?

Black people have a crime gene and immigrants dilute the gene pool?

RM8

I'm just glad someone is trying to evaluate Both Sides™ in this thread. The side who said "non whites dilute the gene pool" and the side who thinks that's unacceptable. Let's try to look at both perspectives, okay? We don't want to turn this into a Witch Hunt™.

Breads

Banned
I'm not even taking any position, I'm just pointing at something I observe about this thread, and that is very obvious:

This is a thread about a "statement", whatever it contains or might contain. But regardless, people already made their mind. Nothing in that statement is going to change anything, in a way or another. So what are we discussing here?

It's similar to Pewdiepie's case, but not because of the argument. But because, as in Pewdiepie's case, people already made their mind.

So what now? What happens when people already made their mind? People will just search for more confirmation for what they are already believe. It's just more confirmation bias.

(if instead you want my *personal* opinion I'll say I see Pewdiepie's case as the opposite of this one. PDP was making offensive jokes, but jokes. We can discuss whether offensive jokes are okay or not (hello, Charlie Hebdo). JonTron instead shared quite ridiculous political ideas, so the debate is justified and deserved. He meant what he said.)

This isn't confirmation bias. It's just confirmation.

People are reacting directly to what he said. There is no ambiguity or misrepresentation of facts here. What part of this do you not understand? What you're seeing is the reaction to it.

What of this is unfair?

It started by him making tweets that raised suspicion, for years mind you, that only raised a few eyebrows at worst.

Suddenly he then spends the better part of two hours clarifying his views at length, which alienated a portion of his audience while bringing in Nazis and White Supremacists. A direct reaction to information about himself presented by... himself.

Later he makes a statement basically saying he's an idiot and didn't structure his thoughts properly. No apology. No admission of any mistakes in the beliefs he holds. Just a double down telling us what his beliefs are yet again and people disagree with him.

How is this a witch hunt? How is this confirmation bias? Who seeded the thought that JT held bigoted beliefs? Is it unfair for taking him at his word?

Do you think that all people who disagree with you do so without the capability of thinking for themselves?

Like... how do you expect people to take you seriously when you post unironic shit like this. You didn't cite anything. You are literally strawmanning in your claims of straw men arguments.

Challenge what?

Black people have a crime gene and immigrants dilute the gene pool?

Exactly can't be mixing those two, making Degenerate Crime Babies™. God no.
This whole fucking thing is making me so fucking mad and its finals week and I'm stressed and pissed and worried about the future for more reasons now.

L Thammy

Well yeah that's how he'd actually atone for it in his real every day life, but my point is that I doubt the reaction from everyone would be any different. An apology statement would come across as hollow. I know I wouldn't give him the benefit of the doubt.

If the question is how to make an apology statement that is convincing, I think the answer lies in demonstrating change. Look at it this way.

An apology is hollow if it isn't meant. Someone makes an apology they don't mean when they want to avoid guilt and consequence. What would you expect to find in such an apology? You're going to see a lot of avoidance. Excuses to explain how it isn't actually their fault or how they aren't actually as bad as you might think. Empty promises about how they've learned their lesson and won't do it again. Maybe some vague lip service to the people they've wronged. An apology feels hollow because it's all avoidance and saying what they think you want to hear.

Now, an actual apology? An apology is valuable when the person accepts responsibility, has learned from their mistake, and is going to endeavour to improve their behaviour in the future. The distinctions are there. It's a different motivation and perspective. The avoidance shouldn't be there. You should say exactly what you did and why it was wrong, regardless of what your intentions might have been. You can also demonstrate your newfound learning. Don't just say you understand why what you did was wrong, but say why it was wrong and what harm it caused. Don't just promise that you won't do the same thing, but state clearly what measures you're taking to ensure that you don't.

I'm sure there's someone out there evil enough to give a good apology that they don't mean, but I'd be surprised if it's a common talent. Most people who give really bad apologies are really just lacking in personal responsibility and can't be expected to improve all that much.

Polarization is normally what happens when faced with unapologetic racism - the racists try to downplay the severity of their shitty ideas and everyone else gets mad at said shitty ideas.

The onus on fostering "tolerance" was entirely on Jons shoulders in this case. He had the chance to reflect on what he said, realise how little value these opinions hold and issue a mea culpa to the fans he's let down. Instead he's just making asinine arguments about not expressing himself well and being 'misconstrued' while also doing nothing to clarify what he 'really' meant. That's of course because everyone knows exactly what he meant, because he said these things plainly and simply. 'The richest black man is more inclined to criminality than the poorest white man' doesn't leave a lot of room for interpretation.

We can all sing kumbaya when Jon actually admits his wrongdoings.

Breads

Banned
Well, tomorrow if this thread still exists I'll attempt a painstaking analysis and point at the issues.

Something you wouldn't have to do if you dealt with actual quotations and citations in the conversation you are butting into and not just sweeping generalizations and histrionics aimed at a nebulous mob you inexplicably peg as engaging in a witch hunt without ever addressing why this supposed mob exists and what the end goal of the witch hunt is.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.

Lord almighty...is this the moden day, post truth, alt-right version of "I'm not racist but"?

Good riddance.

Thanks to the moderation crew here for not* letting shit like this fly.

Edit: not, not now ofc

Nanashrew

Banned

How do you deal with people like JonTron if not by challenging those ideas? And how can you expect being convincing or obtaining any result when the discussion revolves around convenient exaggeration and unsubtle name calling? You aren't arguing with JonTron, you're arguing with a convenient puppet you put on the chair to better support your own argument.

You're going to have to show us what has been misinterpreted and exaggerated. I watched the debate and saw nothing that could be misinterpreted or exaggerated out of proportion. The reactions are actually proportionate to what was said, even his fanbase on reddit are having none of it.

PewDiePie is an untalented, hacky, doucheweasel but in his case there was a little (so very little) bit of wiggle room to defend his claim that his gaffes were part of satire (inept satire, but satire) or ignorance to the potential ramifications of some of his racially charge "social experiments". In JonTron's case there is a whole archived stream of moronic and insensitive and deluded and hateful gibberish. People's problems stem from the stream's transcript chock full of bullshit with video to back up that his words weren't being twisted.

You know who else is like that? (not to change the topic but I will) Donald Trump. He whines and pitys for himself that the mainstream media is out to get him (like a lot of YouTubers... like a whole lot) and creates conspiracy theories about #fakenews and wiretaps. Like JonTron he has no defense or ability to say his idiotic and offensive buffoonery didn't happen because EVERYTHING was uncovered by following his personally managed twitter and transcripts of his speeches and unedited video of all of his media appearances. Both of these fuck wits, Trump and JonTron, have dug their own pit.

So basically JonTron is as dumb and deluded as Trump. But it won't matter because ignorant kiddies like the guy and he makes funny videos and they have no sense of social consciousness to reflect on whether a persona being personable means they might not also have a dark putrid center. Impossible, right? But hey It is Jon Jafari's Awesome Show Great Job

L Thammy

Lord almighty...is this the moden day, post truth, alt-right version of "I'm not racist but"?

Good riddance.

Thanks to the moderation crew here for now letting shit like this fly.

I'm kind of disappointed. Not at the mods, but at Gormenghast. It doesn't feel right for the guys claiming to be neutral to not get a Breitbart link in before their ban.

"I DON'T GIVE TWO SSSHITS ABOUT... ECONOMY. That doesn't make a FUCK to me."

I stopped watching when he got his wife in on the conversation and she openly debased herself and her gender.

Couldn't take it anymore at that point.

Now I'm listening to a debate he's having with some guy called Sargon who sounds like he came on to make Jontron's arguments for him...christ, these people...

C7UzJPBU8AAWhSA.jpg

I stopped watching when he got his wife in on the conversation and she openly debased herself and her gender.

Now I'm listening to a debate he's having with some guy called Sargon who sounds like he came on to make Jontron's arguments for him...christ, these people...

Oh god Sargon of Akkad is on?

Dude is Gamergate Prime

Ponn

Banned
Wow, what was with all these enlightened moderates coming into a thread and writing fucking essays about how everyone was jumping to conclusions about a racist bigot that we are misrepresenting and need to have a discussion with. A racist bigot who literally had a debate and discussion on a live stream about his shit just last week. And this thread is about his "statement' and non-apology for the live discussion of his views last week and how he is literally not changing his mind and doubling down. I mean

1) How can you possibly get any fucking clearer that having a discussion literally didn't fucking work.

2) Why the hell are these people coming in generalizing and misrepresenting how people are reacting literally doing the same fucking shit they are acting holier than thou about

3) Why the hell can't these people read this thread and/or the other thread and educate themselves before wading in and spending that time they could have used educating themselves instead of writing these long ass essays starting with "well, I don't know the whole story whats going on but let me lecture you all on why you are wrong to be calling a racist a racist..."

4)
Well, tomorrow if this thread still exists I'll attempt a painstaking analysis and point at the issues.

Just take the day off and save your analysis instead. Hey, or better yet use that time and read up on the subject you oh so wanted to lecture people about instead.

Breads

Banned

Sargon is a trip. Completely warped to the whims of his audience. White middle class guy from the UK with a lot of things to say about US minority culture who is endlessly outraged by feminism and what he calls the regressive left. A british liberal pro-brexit nationalist.

He sees himself much differently than his fans and his critics alike. It's actually pretty interesting until you're able to predict his stance more quickly than he is able to belt it out. The man loves to hear himself talk. I stopped listening to him a long time ago (year+) but for a time I was really into watching his head cave in on itself as he went wherever the hateful winds blew.

L Thammy

The important thing to understand is that anyone who states an position is wrong regardless of their reasoning or evidence. As a rational neutral party, I am superior to all.

Cipherr

I feel its more that people feel discomfort at not being able to freely just jump into any topic and say whatever they think, sans pushback or repercussion for their lack of education or concern for anyone else's thoughts/views other than the ones they've arrived at on their own—typically with the bare minimum of research or knowledge.

For example: You literally don't know what Jon said. In a thread about Jon saying something—something that was, itself, a response to a thing Jon said before. Yet your need to share something with the rest of us despite that ignorance, and your unwillingness to actually know what you're talking about before you continue trying to talk to us, has you on the back foot in this conversation.

So your solution to this shaky-as-fuck position you're holding is... to double down and suggest its external forces that are the real problem here, and the things people should seriously be focusing on, as opposed to say, focusing on learning about the subject at hand with an open mind and a willingness not only to learn, but to change your point of view in response to what you did learn.

If you knew what Jon had said, and how he'd said it, this position would sound real familiar to you right about now. And it wouldn't be the most positive of echoes you found yourself in.

People don't wanna read. They don't wanna hear. They wanna know just enough for them to know they're probably in the right, and at that point, they're okay with letting confirmation bias do the rest.

God this post is so accurate.

Oh god Sargon of Akkad is on?

Dude is Gamergate Prime

That's the dude. Never heard of him before this. Looks like they had the debate a few hours ago since I'm watching a VOD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NjdIyo6y8Y

it starts off with Sargon Defending Jon and speaking for him...it's pretty cringe when you hear him say silly things like "Jon is an idiot, he didn't mean to say this and that....what he really meant to say is blah blah blah...." Dude's talking like he lives in Jon's brain. ....
That convo ends quickly and they get sidetracked into a silly debate about nature vs nurture and which is more prevalent in determining women's prominence in specific vocations....
It's a cyclical argument that goes no where super fast.

Sargon is a trip. Completely warped to the whims of his audience. White middle class guy from the UK with a lot of things to say about US minority culture who is endlessly outraged by feminism and what he calls the regressive left. A british liberal pro-brexit nationalist.

He sees himself much differently from his fans and his critics alike. It's actually pretty interesting until you're able to predict his stance more quickly than he is able to belt it out. The man loves to hear himself talk. I stopped listening to him a long time ago (year+) but for a time I was really into watching his head cave in on itself as he went wherever the hateful winds blew.

Glad I''ve never heard of him before. His assumption that he understands US culture is pretty jarring and hard to listen to. I stopped watching the video as most of his debate seems to revolve around running in circles using semantics.

Protann

His "I was flustered and am poor at debating" argument falls apart when 30 seconds later he literally talks about the importance of preserving the white race.

So many fucking YouTubers think it's their job to be a source of political insight. Reviewing video games on the internet doesn't make you intelligent or well equipped enough to be spouting this shit to millions, especially when kids are concerned (most video game videos). Plus, you're very likely not going to be making money off this for much more than ten years considering how quickly internet interests change.

Armaros

I still have yet to find ANYBODY that could explain the gene pool comment as a positive for Jon.

It's.racist.to.think.that.you.have.superior.genes.because.of.your.race.

How can it be made clearer?

Damn Saracens and their OP Mamelukes.

spam longbowmen! It solves everything!

patapuf

Talking about racial purity and inherent racial attributes is the textbook definition of racism.

What he said and is still saying isn't "just" a few bigoted statements born out of ignorance and prejudice.

I have trouble believing he isn't aware of this himself.

SomTervo

It's funny how it always follows the same cycle in threads like these.

"Hey fellow Gaffers, I'm totally don't know too much about what's going on in this topic and why people are angry, and to prove it, here's this long winded personal anecdote just to prove how not in-the-know and neutral that I am. Now, even though I definitely don't know what's going on and therefore have no horse in this race, I just want you all to know that you are totally overreacting/in the wrong. Again, I really don't know much about what's going on, but I feel like I really needed to dish out 2-cents here."

Flawless. Would like to trot this out in every thread like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom