• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JonTron Releases a Statement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bossking

Banned
Curious on everyone's thoughts on Destiny. I can't make a thread, and this is somewhat on topic.
I see a lot of people on here that have immediately discredited him because they heard him using the far to typical internet derogatives. I assume stuff like "retard". I don't think that's defendable at all, but I think he's worth discussing at least.

I just started checking out his content. I'm convinced he's a really bizarre outlier. He seems to have cultivated a pretty large progressive community. Although his seems very different from other left wing youtubers. I think people like Hbomberguy, who I love, simply attracted in people who were already left or PC. Destiny, I get the vibe that he has actually converted his audience into his views. Looking at his chat is a very weird experience. These guys seem like the typical toxic twitch chat, spamming emotes and memes. Yet they are often shitposting anti alt-right/anti-gg stuff along with twitch memes.

I just watched this video of his https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryXhON7u7gw
-He talks about the awful landscape of gaming with the popularity of toxic alt-right population.
-He somewhat defends Anita Sarkeesian.
-Shit talks GG.
-Brings attention to the issue with female representation in video games/pop culture.
-When talking about debating Sargon, he implied that he's more interested in reaching gamers who could be potentially swayed away from Sargon/that side of thought.

I guess my point is, this guy is a hugely popular streamer of League and Counter Strike. The communities in these games do not line up with pc culture. Yet he seems to have converted a huge number of people to a fairly progressive mindset. Potentially a lot of his audience might not have been swayed by someone who (rightfully) gets offended by the use of "retard" as a derogative.

What do you guys think? Even if you won't watch his content due to him using offensive deragatives, do you think he's potentially a positive personality in gaming?

Apparently, he's somewhat ignorant on how much money animators make on youtube, which makes him the worst human being and worse than Jontron.

At least, that's according to way too many people I've seen talking about how they're still subscribed to Jontron because Destiny is also an asshole I guess.

Spyderist

Banned
You bring up a lot of great points Cannonfodder, my problem with Destiny is in part with his recent freakout over "animators on youtube making a quarter million a year" and many instances when he was a toxic force in the SC2 community. Maybe he's changed since SC and SC2, I wouldn't know. The problem is that being conservative, and far right conservative at that, is still the easiest way to counter the mainstream media culture, and its hard for a leftie to do that now that you cant be edgy at all while holding left views except to disparage straight white men.

I think it's good he exists for left causes I guess, but I didnt find him to be a great debater against jontron, just that jontron was a massive idiot.

Usobuko

Banned
Now that JonTron doubles down on his racism and superiority " with facts " and a self-persecution complex, I hope to see this stain forever on his life.

I think, when it all washes out, Destiny is a good dude. He could be *better*, his use of retarded and autistic as prejoratives sucks, but he's actively engaging these people in a way where he's trying to show what they're saying is harmful and wrong. A lot of people say we just need to talk to and educate these people in the gaming community, but he's the one guy i've seen step up and do it

I have a lot of respect for him tbh, even though he says some stuff I find offputting

Curious on everyone's thoughts on Destiny. I can't make a thread, and this is somewhat on topic.
I see a lot of people on here that have immediately discredited him because they heard him using the far to typical internet derogatives. I assume stuff like "retard". I don't think that's defendable at all, but I think he's worth discussing at least.

I just started checking out his content. I'm convinced he's a really bizarre outlier. He seems to have cultivated a pretty large progressive community. Although his seems very different from other left wing youtubers. I think people like Hbomberguy, who I love, simply attracted in people who were already left or PC. Destiny, I get the vibe that he has actually converted his audience into his views. Looking at his chat is a very weird experience. These guys seem like the typical toxic twitch chat, spamming emotes and memes. Yet they are often shitposting anti alt-right/anti-gg stuff along with twitch memes.

-He talks about the awful landscape of gaming with the popularity of toxic alt-right population.
-Shit talks GG.
-Brings attention to the issue with female representation in video games/pop culture.
-When talking about debating Sargon, he implied that he's more interested in reaching gamers who could be potentially swayed away from Sargon/that side of thought.

I guess my point is, this guy is a hugely popular streamer of League and Counter Strike. The communities in these games do not line up with pc culture. Yet he seems to have converted a huge number of people to a fairly progressive mindset. Potentially a lot of his audience might not have been swayed by someone who (rightfully) gets offended by the use of "retard" as a derogative.

What do you guys think? Even if you won't watch his content due to him using offensive deragatives, do you think he's potentially a positive personality in gaming?

Anyone who's game for fighting against the festering bullshit that's inveloped large swarths of the culture at large is cool with me. Now are there places where I don't agree with him, sure. But you don't win by mopping in the corner; you win by building a broad coalition.

Spyderist

Banned
I wish there was a general survey on figuring out how many kids who pay attention to politics now..within the white male demo, are influenced by right leaning youtubers and 4chan. I figure the percentage of kids paying attention to politics in general is fairly low, but I'd even include those that post tumblr gifs and lol hitler memes.

Apparently, he's somewhat ignorant on how much money animators make on youtube, which makes him the worst human being and worse than Jontron.

At least, that's according to way too many people I've seen talking about how they're still subscribed to Jontron because Destiny is also an asshole I guess.

I wish someone could inform me on what fully happend.
to my knowledge, Destiny flipped out at this animator for saying this.

depths20XX

I didnt know anything about Destiny up until his recent debates with people. I know that "retard" is a ban worthy insult here but it doesn't carry as much weight outside of here. It's frowned upon but on twitch for instance it isn't a banned word like "faggot" or "nigger". I'm not saying that makes it right to use but personally I don't feel it holds the same weight as those words and I still feel he's doing more good than bad.

Edit: Ultimately I don't find his use of the word "retard" relevant to the topics he discussed with JonTron. One is in bad taste to most people and one is a toxic ideology.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™

-Shit talks GG.

i can see why someone may not agree with him. but honestly hes fine by me. i kinda agree with most of what hes said.

Nanashrew

Banned

-Shit talks GG.

I'll always have issues with derogatives but those bullet points and what he's doing does sound good.

all i wanted was a general reaction by a few posters here, nothing too lengthy, but just enough to give me an idea of how people reacted to his offensive comments, instead of having to read through a thread with 5k posts.

I gave you two direct examples which you ignored but took time to get indignant at everyone addressing your post around mine...

-Shit talks GG.

None of this sounds bad.

What he needs to do his admit it's a problem, seek put education on the matters that confused him (college class?) And come back to the public after the fact.

What he needs to do his admit it's a problem, seek put education on the matters that confused him (college class?) And come back to the public after the fact.
IIRC he went to college for musical theatre, don't think he actually finished.

Honestly boggles the mind as someone who works in theatre, how anyone experiences that and still comes out thinking black people are criminals and immigrants are inferior.

Curious on everyone's thoughts on Destiny.

My piece of shit Trump supporting roommate loves Destiny. Which means I can't watch him. From what I understand the 4channers of the world watch Destiny so they can say "See? Not all liberals are snowflake SJW dumbasses" and then just continue to be horrible people.

Holden

My piece of shit Trump supporting roommate loves Destiny. Which means I can't watch him. From what I understand the 4channers of the world watch Destiny so they can say "See? Not all liberals are snowflake SJW dumbasses" and then just continue to be horrible people.

Destiny calls out trump out for his bullshit and racism all the time.

He just does it to Hillary as well (not the racism..)

He debated a bunch of trumples. Which ends up everybody asking him to debate a smarter person which he can somehow can't find, sounds like the trump fanbase alright.

He also voted hillary.

I think, when it all washes out, Destiny is a good dude. He could be *better*, his use of retarded and autistic as prejoratives sucks, but he's actively engaging these people in a way where he's trying to show what they're saying is harmful and wrong. A lot of people say we just need to talk to and educate these people in the gaming community, but he's the one guy i've seen step up and do it

I have a lot of respect for him tbh, even though he says some stuff I find offputting

If he's at Twitch Con, I may make it my mission to track him down and give him my two cents on the Autism stuff.

Holden

You bring up a lot of great points Cannonfodder, my problem with Destiny is in part with his recent freakout over "animators on youtube making a quarter million a year" and many instances when he was a toxic force in the SC2 community. Maybe he's changed since SC and SC2, I wouldn't know. The problem is that being conservative, and far right conservative at that, is still the easiest way to counter the mainstream media culture, and its hard for a leftie to do that now that you cant be edgy at all while holding left views except to disparage straight white men.

I think it's good he exists for left causes I guess, but I didnt find him to be a great debater against jontron, just that jontron was a massive idiot.

He never claimed animators make a quater mill. He claimed that a person with 900k subs should make atleast a quater mill.

I dont want to go full defense force. But a lot of the shit destiny says is out of contexte. He even got banned on twitch for saying the n word while defending black people which is 100% bullshit.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
I'm confused, It's Destiny's fault that your roommate isn't reachable? The guy is in the trench every day, fighting the good fight but because he hasn't made your specific life easier, fuck him?

You're kind of an asshole man.

DrBo42

Destiny calls out trump out for his bullshit and racism all the time.

He just does it to Hillary as well (not the racism..)

He debated a bunch of trumples. Which ends up everybody asking him to debate a smarter person which he can somehow can't find, sounds like the trump fanbase alright.

He also voted hillary.

I mean, let's not act like Destiny is some sort of shining beacon. Guy tells people to kill themselves in chat and uses autism as a go-to insult. He can be a complete moron.

Im listening to the debate with destiny and jontron right now for the first time...i was originally offended by the 'apology' video but i guess a part of me was holding out hope that he was just extremely ignorant/uniformed ...... but this debate....i thought the summaries were going to be hyperbolic and bias but if anything they don't go into enough detail regarding how offensive Jon is throughout this video. Im in absolute shock...in my opinion this is about as close as you can get to being an openly racist individual without straight up saying "I think white races are superior to most other races"....

...but its not just that, he also makes blanket offensive statements about other races...i just can't understand how someone who i perceived to have so much talent as an entertainer can ultimately hold such deep seeded, disgusting, ugly and unacceptable beliefs. I already un-subbed after the apology but after listening to only 30 min. of this 'debate' (i.e. jon spouting what sounds like white nationalist propaganda and then being corrected with facts that he goes on to disregard as untrue because they fail to fit in line with his beliefs) i doubt ill be able to pass by a jontron video (or one featuring him in a positive light) without quickly tossing a dislike on the video. I honestly feel like people in Jon's position (3+million viewers online many of which are children whom they potentially have influence over) should not be aloud to speak on such matters without consequences from their employer (i.e. youtube) and those consequences should involve no longer having access to said 3 million viewers through the platform you originally exposed them to offensive material on.

stephen08

all i wanted was a general reaction by a few posters here, nothing too lengthy, but just enough to give me an idea of how people reacted to his offensive comments, instead of having to read through a thread with 5k posts.

Congratulations, this is what you've put yourself on record as saying is not too bad:

- Foreigners dilute the gene pool
- Black crime in America is the same as in Africa (like, he fuckin' brought this up TWICE)
- Racial issues can be summed up via mixing different colors of paint
- Statistical data means nothing because Clinton lost the election
- Destiny wants to kill black people
- Black Lives Matter is a violent organization
- the richest black man commits more crimes than the poorest white man
- Tribalism is a valid theory
- Immigrants are destroying every single country they are let into
- America is gonna become Mexico
- Racism is over
- Muslims are organizing to make it seem like Christians are protesting abortion clinics

From the OP of the thread you couldn't bother to read.

Congratulations, this is what you've put yourself on record as saying is not too bad:

- Foreigners dilute the gene pool
- Black crime in America is the same as in Africa (like, he fuckin' brought this up TWICE)
- Racial issues can be summed up via mixing different colors of paint
- Statistical data means nothing because Clinton lost the election
- Destiny wants to kill black people
- Black Lives Matter is a violent organization
- the richest black man commits more crimes than the poorest white man
- Tribalism is a valid theory
- Immigrants are destroying every single country they are let into
- America is gonna become Mexico
- Racism is over
- Muslims are organizing to make it seem like Christians are protesting abortion clinics

From the OP of the thread you couldn't bother to read.

this is the list i originally thought was going to be hyperbolic... until i watched the video

peakish

Yeah, this statement of JT is pretty bad. Doubling down on his comments and ending with a "can't everyone just be friends" after he for 80 minutes talked some serious racist bullshit about why he think that's impossible. It doesn't even make sense!

-Shit talks GG.

I knew of him from SC2 but was never really super familiar with him. I respected that he put a lot of work into his community and creating tournaments but thought he was leaning a bit too heavily into the typical anti-PC gamer.

After watching the JonTron interview I actually found a post he made in 2013 about cutting racist and homophobic remarks from his vocabulary. He learned from real-life situations that his words have consequences and started improving himself. That's a pretty big step up from many other spineless gaming personalities who can't be arsed to reflect on themselves. He shouldn't have been using slurs in the first place (and apparently he still hasn't extended this to "retard") but I respect that he improved and that he goes out to bat for his beliefs.

https://blog.destiny.gg/some-thoughts-on-hatefuloffensive-language/

Nekofrog

Banned

Your thoughts are horribly off base regarding Destiny.

Jintor

the perfect is the enemy of the good

actually you'd think for a dude with a progressive mind he'd be more easy to talk to about not using that kinda language really

stephen08

-Shit talks GG.

The worst I've seen is that he says autistic as an insult which obviously isn't good. To me though that's quibbling. No one will bat a thousand on everything especially when their own experiences shape them.

It'd be nice if he didn't and maybe someone will talk to him about it and reshape his views. If someone tried to appeal to him like he did to Jon and he said a bunch of super troubling stuff about autistic people then I'll brandish the pitchfork. Likewise if Jon had just said an off colour joke or some slur in a heated moment I wouldn't be so quick to condemn him. It would be bad obviously but it wouldn't be this bad. A lapse in judgement, a bad habit, an ignorance of a term all pale in comparison to continued, sustained racist rhetoric.

At least, that's my thoughts on the matter.

Didn't know Destiny prior to this incident but he'd be a reasonably likable bloke if he got rid of those slurs towards the disabled and didn't tell people to kill himself in chat I guess. Not really sure how you can be educated enough on the matter of racism but still resort to slurs against non-racial minorities.

Bastables

Didn't know Destiny prior to this incident but he'd be a reasonably likable bloke if he got rid of those slurs towards the disabled and didn't tell people to kill himself in chat I guess. Not really sure how you can be educated enough on the matter of racism but still resort to slurs against non-racial minorities.

Yeah mate, In the fallout of a chap vomiting out a stream of racist white supremacy we should be disquieted by the other chap that did not vomit up racist white supremacy.

Good take away /s

Genuine question: why are you even here?

You've already stated that you have no intention of watching the instigating stream to find out for yourself what this is about.

So what is the point of even posting? You say that you want people to tell you what it is about, and yet to shit on them when they try?

I don't see how people tell you to read up on the thing you are talking about is offensive or even a big thing to ask.

I'm really surprised we haven't heard anything on it yet. Dude is a shitload of times worse than PDP was, but seemingly he isn't being dropped?

This is pure speculation but Jon is nowhere near the profile of PDP, and this story really didn't get the kind of traction that PDP's did. It's probably easier for Disney to just like this die quietly instead of having to explain why they've had to recently drop two partners due to racism

I don't know exactly what he said originally that caused such an uproar, but I really can't disagree with anything he said in that video.

Were his original statements really that offensive?

Oh look, the 300th poster now to come in and say everyone is overreacting but hasn't read or listened to anything!

Hey guys I just wanted to drop in here and say that I don't know what this Jon guy said and I don't want to watch any videos of the debate or on the subject or read over transcripts or even summaries of what was said and I claim to have no political or emotional stake in the discussion but you all seem really angry and I think it's really weird to get angry about something so maybe you should calm down.

Bastables

Jontron lost about 10k over the three days, after that it got back into rising numbers of about 5k+ by today. He'll probably be at his usual number by the end of the month.

https://socialblade.com/youtube/user/jontronshow/monthly

His fans don't care I guess.
His views are down by 215% for the past 30 days, and his subs are down by 31%

It seems suspicious that on the surface that he's regaining lost subscriber number yet dropping in actual views.
https://socialblade.com/youtube/user/jontronshow

Hey guys I just wanted to drop in here and say that I don't know what this Jon guy said and I don't want to watch any videos of the debate or on the subject or read over transcripts or even summaries of what was said and I claim to have no political or emotional stake in the discussion but you all seem really angry and I think it's really weird to get angry about something so maybe you should calm down.

A+.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom