• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JonTron Releases a Statement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bastables

Well, he didn't release an actual video since christmas. That might explain the view count.
So people are subbing to a 3 month long inert channel but also not really viewing any videos because it's been inert....

I can see channels gaining views and losing subs, but as Breads pointed out, there are weird thing going on where you increase subs who then don't watch any videos on the channel causing a 200% drop in the past 30 days.

jay

Hey guys I just wanted to drop in here and say that I don't know what this Jon guy said and I don't want to watch any videos of the debate or on the subject or read over transcripts or even summaries of what was said and I claim to have no political or emotional stake in the discussion but you all seem really angry and I think it's really weird to get angry about something so maybe you should calm down.

It's important to realize that the other side is also angry and by being angry ourselves, we are doing nothing more than reflecting their anger and acting exactly the same as those we claim to be different from. Don't become the thing you are fighting against.

It's important to realize that the other side is also angry and by being angry ourselves, we are doing nothing more than reflecting their anger and acting exactly the same as those we claim to be different from. Don't become the thing you are fighting against.

Seriously? You're equating peoples' justifiable anger at white supremacy with that? Come on.

Anung

Un Rama

"Blacks are diluting the founding stock, have lower IQ's and commit more Crime"
"Dude that's racist, isn't backed up by facts and might be a harmful outlook."
"Look at this! The left are just as bad as the alt-right! How dare they hold me accountable for the things I say. The real Nazi's amirite?"

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
My piece of shit Trump supporting roommate loves Destiny. Which means I can't watch him. From what I understand the 4channers of the world watch Destiny so they can say "See? Not all liberals are snowflake SJW dumbasses" and then just continue to be horrible people.

You're hurting the cause, not helping it with this mentality.

Breads

Banned
Next you'll tell me that disgruntled video game players won't want to pay to watch a boring history show every month.

Way too tired to understand the reference but I was being serious. To them upvoting/ downvoting/ subscribing/ unsubscribing is a form of activism and they had a front page thread to show JT support for "redpilling" gamers.

Slayven

Racism isn't "another side", it's just racism. Stop giving bullshit validity

TirMcGrey

Going through the old GameGrump vids when he was around, it's quite eye opening anytime he makes a joke on the spur of the moment. One of those "I can't tell if he's being serious or not"

FyreWulff

The other side isn't an actual position. The humanity of non white persons is not a debate.

BigDes

What I want to know is which idiot is apparently teaching our children that anger is something to be avoided.

Stop telling people to not get angry. The type of shit Jon vomited on to us on camera is one of those times where anger is the perfectly appropriate response. Really wish that people would stop coming in and preaching to the thread about how anger is bad and wrong. Anger is what pushes people to change things.

If you can't handle confrontation because you lack the emotional maturity to recognize that sometimes anger good then frankly piss off because you are doing nothing to help and allowing shitstains like Jon to scream their racist filth directly into the ears of children with your cringing, solely because loud noises scare you.

PMS341

L3zEAHK.jpg

nded

the witch hunt is real, you guys need to chill, kicking off too much

Yes, the current situation of people reacting negatively to public, verifiable statements made by Jontron are directly comparable to a period in time during which people were tried and tortured to death on vague suspicions of having magical satan powers.

Edit: This is sarcasm, by the way.

V_Arnold

The other side isn't an actual position. The humanity of non white persons is not a debate.

You would be surprised how many walls I hit when I try to estabilish this as a baseline for argument. "Accept the facts, mate, blacks ARE less intelligent, and also muslims, and jews, and..."

Back to the 19th century!

Breads

Banned
Yeah things are bad now, satire of defenders of hate speech is almost indistinguishable from actual defenders of hate speech.

You can thank mainstream media like fox news for that. Misinforming people on what free speech actually is has muddied the waters to the point to where the reactionary gop sort now use what used to be obvious satire as their talking points which include but is not limited to defending hate speech under the first amendment.... only as long as it triggers liberals.

The thing I replied to was obviously a joke, so I assumed people would realize it was a continuation.

Well done then. The post you replied to was more obvious but yours I had already written a response for before I backed out, not wanting to add to the dog pile.

jay

Well done then. The post you replied to was more obvious but yours I had already written a response for before I backed out, not wanting to add to the dog pile.

I understand not knowing everyone on a huge site, but a one second look at my post history would clarify what I think. I don't know if it's anyone's responsibility to seek out context or history, though. It's an interesting question.

PtM

Banned
I'm really surprised we haven't heard anything on it yet. Dude is a shitload of times worse than PDP was, but seemingly he isn't being dropped?
They haven't been confronted by press on this one.
I understand not knowing everyone on a huge site, but a one second look at my post history would clarify what I think. I don't know if it's anyone's responsibility to seek out context or history, though. It's an interesting question.
Yeah, that's nothing to expect, it's also way too cumbersome on mobile.

Bastables

That's the scary thing though, I had to double check it was a joke by re reading your post ( over repeating of 'angry, for comedic effect should of clinched it I know) and then tiangulating that with a post history skim read.

I may just be bad at picking up tone as well though.

I lost a a- to a b+ when is misread starship troopers as a pro fascist movie in a otherwise apparently well argued essay in a first year media studies paper.

LionPride

Banned
My piece of shit Trump supporting roommate loves Destiny. Which means I can't watch him. From what I understand the 4channers of the world watch Destiny so they can say "See? Not all liberals are snowflake SJW dumbasses" and then just continue to be horrible people.
That's...that's fucking stupid.

Bladenic

Every idiot Youtuber who exposes themselves as trash, I try and look at their content since I usually had never heard of them. I always end up thinking "this shit was pppular in the first place??"

But that's just me I guess. Anyway I hope this trash heap's "career" is over but this is Trump's America so congrats on making more money somehow.

grim-tales

In case anyone wants to know the real reason he came out with this punk-ass "apology"

He isn't sorry, he's sorry he got caught. Tough break when everything about your career is up for public scrutiny.

That's a good point. It sounded like he's blaming his audience for misinterpreting what he said, no we aren't doing that. He said dumbass disgusting things and should realise that.

Makai

In case anyone wants to know the real reason he came out with this punk-ass "apology"

He isn't sorry, he's sorry he got caught. Tough break when everything about your career is up for public scrutiny.
He didn't get caught. He volunteered this information and he's sorry people disagree with him

Gestault

1.) Equating any reaction with an irrational emotional one? Check.

2.) Disregarding context to the point of being a false equivalency? Check.

3.) Superficially objective, but transparently not, and primarily directing "helpful" chastisement toward those reasonably discussing an event? Check.

Edit: Jay, if your post was sarcastic, may I recommend not responding to a sarcastic post with a less sarcastic-seeming post. It's indistinguishable from a real one.

Bastables

He didn't get caught. He volunteered this information and he's sorry people disagree with him
He had enough understanding during his discussion with Destiny that he stated "I don't want to say something incriminating", then at the end signs off with a laugh and " R.I.P my career".
Like he knew he had to dog whistle it, but was not cunning/ controlled enough to camoflage his dark little soul while simultaneously only signaling his white supremacy to nutjob fellow travelers.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
So whose alt account are you?

A whole lotta Juniors coming out of the woodwork in this thread.

Going through the old GameGrump vids when he was around, it's quite eye opening anytime he makes a joke on the spur of the moment. One of those "I can't tell if he's being serious or not"

Early Grumps might be fun to re-watch at this point with the subtext that it's really about one man slowly learning how fucking insane his friend is.

I don't know exactly what he said originally that caused such an uproar, but I really can't disagree with anything he said in that video.

Were his original statements really that offensive?

I tried to, but his different viewpoints are taken from all over the place, and I'm too lazy to watch and listen all of the source material to put everything in context. From the outline that I read some of his views are certainly white nationalist, some conservative, others just insensitive and in bad taste, but again its very difficult to tell without listening to exactly what he had said.

Don't care either way, never was too big a fan of Jontron

i weighed in my opinions on this specific video, not the entire controversy. I also followed up my opinion with a question about the original controversy, as I haven't spent enough time reading through it as I'm sure many of the posters here have.
get over yourself

almost as bad as snobbish posters on forums who think they're above answering genuine questions about certain issues and events.

all i wanted was a general reaction by a few posters here, nothing too lengthy, but just enough to give me an idea of how people reacted to his offensive comments, instead of having to read through a thread with 5k posts.

Toby Dammit, I know you got the time to watch a couple of videos since you're posting this much so here are just two that aren't particularly long.

ETC Show: Jontron has Interesting Opinions
Double Toasted: THE JONTRON AND STEVE KING CONTROVERSIES

Next time you want to jump into a thread agreeing with a white nationalist's video, check the source material :)

Mesoian

What does that even mean? The posters...

Am I communism?

Gotta have a reason to be racist or else you're just an asshole. Communism was fine for it back then even though it literally made no sense. But try arguing THAT with those people.

Right up there with "all Italians are syphilitic, so kick them out of the country".

I understand their anger perfectly.

They are angry that other ethnicities and races are mixing with each other.

That's not a reasonable anger.

Did you watch the original stream?

The entire two hours he's constantly saying "I'm not going to say what I was going to say for fear of incriminating myself".

I lost a a- to a b+ when is misread starship troopers as a pro fascist movie in a otherwise apparently well argued essay in a first year media studies paper.

lol oops

Edit: Jay, if your post was sarcastic, may I recommend not responding to a sarcastic post with a less sarcastic-seeming post. It's indistinguishable from a real one.

The posts are real, the sentiment is fake

What does that even mean? The posters...

Am I communism?

Sorry you are ultra-super commulist

m3k

jesus christ i just read the run down of what jontron said in the other, closed thread

i tried to search for it the other day and that makes it a whole lot worse with the whole twitter exchange

///PATRIOT

Banned
Congratulations, this is what you've put yourself on record as saying is not too bad:

- Foreigners dilute the gene pool
- Black crime in America is the same as in Africa (like, he fuckin' brought this up TWICE)
- Racial issues can be summed up via mixing different colors of paint
- Statistical data means nothing because Clinton lost the election
- Destiny wants to kill black people
- Black Lives Matter is a violent organization
- the richest black man commits more crimes than the poorest white man
- Tribalism is a valid theory
- Immigrants are destroying every single country they are let into
- America is gonna become Mexico
- Racism is over
- Muslims are organizing to make it seem like Christians are protesting abortion clinics

From the OP of the thread you couldn't bother to read.
Yup, the guy is racist.

Its seems strange to me that he brought up that gene pool comment even though he is half Iranian, hows that work out for him?

Edzi

Why care about the fool? His opinion is no merit or substance anyways.

Because he has a massive audience of mostly children, and his opinion represents what a lot of people are thinking. Why wouldn't you care about this? Apathy is never good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom