• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JonTron Releases a Statement

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) What does GAF orthodoxy on speech even mean in this context?

2) No one knew about the extent of his racism until 2017 when someone sat hom down and politely talked to him

3) Liberals can't be held responsible for racist people being racist. You don't drive someone to being a white nationalist by being a mean liberal. That's not how racism works. You don't all of a sudden just believe in the genetic inferiority of minorities because some liberal wasn't nice to you... Insane liberals (whatever that even means) didn't cause JonTron to become a white nationalist

1) You're seeing it here. It's just common a common viewpoint here that debating racists is somehow being 'nice' to them, or is legitimizing their perspectives somehow. It isn't. That's stupid.

2) Exactly. I just thought he was a nutty gamergater before. Now I know he's a full on ethno-state loving nutter. I know that because Destiny baited that shit out of him.

3) Never said that. You said that. I'm saying we disprove the nonsense these people are saying by simply winning the discussions with them and making their ideas look silly. Again, nothing is accomplished when your ideas exist in a bubble. Saying racism sucks to people who agree with you isn't doing anything and we're losing.

4) Again, didn't say we owe him compassion. Just for the record, I'd show him compassion. I'm very nice to the white nationalists I talk to and it completely destroys their idea of minorities. That said, I'm not saying white nationalists are owed compassion in the slightest. Debate isn't compassionate.

People always make a big deal about stuff like this. This is how i know racism will never go away. people care too much about what someone says.

Yes, it's a big deal when a person like JonTron, who has a captive audience of young, impressionable and/or naive people, spouts off with this kind of trashy, abhorrent rhetoric. And no, the problem isn't people calling it out, or as you say making a "big deal about stuff like this". That's exactly what people should do. Giving it a pass or ignoring it won't magically make it disappear.

Mahonay

Banned
People always make a big deal about stuff like this. This is how i know racism will never go away. people care too much about what someone says.
arWKqF2.jpg

1) You're seeing it here. It's just common a common viewpoint here that debating racists is somehow being 'nice' to them, or is legitimizing their perspectives somehow. It isn't. That's stupid.

2) Exactly. I just thought he was a nutty gamergater before. Now I know he's a full on ethno-state loving nutter. I know that because Destiny baited that shit out of him.

3) Never said that. You said that. I'm saying we disprove the nonsense these people are saying by simply winning the discussions with them and making their ideas look silly. Again, nothing is accomplished when your ideas exist in a bubble. Saying racism sucks to people who agree with you isn't doing anything and we're losing.

4) Again, didn't say we owe him compassion. Just for the record, I'd show him compassion. I'm very nice to the white nationalists I talk to and it completely destroys their idea of minorities. That said, I'm not saying white nationalists are owed compassion in the slightest. Debate isn't compassionate.

1) Still have no idea what you mean by Orthodoxy of Speech. Literally few if any have expressed anger at say Destiny for sitting down with JonTron. In fact more gratitude has bern expressed than anything else...

I have never said no one should debate him... I merely state he is not owed compassion and it should not be expected of anti-racists to give it to him

I was reacting to someone shaming everyone who isn't lighting candles at the altar of compassion. Similar to what you are doing. An acceptable response to a white nationalist is in fact fuck that guy. An acceptable response is in fact to try and get his sponsorshios cancelled and to try and reduce his reach and scope: to let people know just how racist he is.

If you want to go the route of compassion knock yourself out but don't pretend like it's the only route or that it's clearly the one with success. A sane liberal (your words) sat him down and he went for a double down instead

2) And nothing changed. He took a few days, cried that the media was out to get him and doubled down without an iota of self-awareness. So again great I am glad Destiny forced his opinions out but compassion did not make him see the light.

As for 3) When you literally say a sane liberal you imply a counter: the insane liberal... How am I suppose to interpret you saying if only sane liberals had challenged him in the context of several posts calling out GAF Orthodoxy, a lack of compassion from "insane liberals", etc... I mean you say a sane liberal could have saved him. Do you believe then that he's never met a sane liberal in his life and/or the only ones he's met are insane ones (again whatever that even means)?

It's ironic that you label me as judgmental yet all I see is you exalting that you are out of the "bubble" and talking down to us who are not interested in showing him compassion.

Debate is part, ostercization and not tollerating intolerance is also part. He must be held accountable for his bigotry.

Edit: 4) Then why did you reply to me to give me shit? The entire reply that you quoted of mine was directed to someone claiming JonTron wasn't a bad person, wasn't really racist, was just saying 4chan lolz memes and didn't and mean what he said and needs to be shown compassion and sat down and talked to, and that that would cure him.

That's emphatically what I was rejecting to which you projected all of GAF orthodoxy on to lol. I reject that he is owed compassion, I reject that that is the only path, I reject the notion that he doesn't mean it, I reject the notion that those who are angry and have no desire to extend an olive branch should be ashamed, I reject the notion that giving JonTron compassion makes you a better person or whatever that intial post that I was replying to was implying.

My intial statement which you jumped me on was literally saying to a person, who was claiming that all we needed to do was just sit down with him and be compassionate and all would work out, that that already happened and it didn't all work out.

I mean literally I was replying to someone saying this

I think that a more patient and intelligent person could've handled this situation in a more altruistic way.

Instead of making him out to be an inhuman wretch that must be disposed of, I think that using logic, history, and empathy one could've persuaded Jon to the good side.

What if we solved these problems with compassion instead of animosity is all I'm saying. :)

I am not less intelligent because I chose to react with disgust and condemnation, rather than to sit down and show compassion to a man expressing naked and revolting racism. Just like I am not more intelligent than Destiny because he chose the sit down route. Nor is it wrong to express animosity towards someone whose views are abjectly disgusting.

The response to which you jumped on was telling that poster that in fact someone had actually done exactly what he was claiming was the more intelligent route and that in fact no JonTron did not in fact come back to the good side. In fact he had instead doubled down and cried foul about the sit down debate because it's just not tjat his views are fucked up it's that he was put on the spot and didn't express his racists views clear enough on that day.

Btw a reaction from some of the youtube gaming community was that Destiny wronged JonTron because he had facts and was ready to debate/challenge JonTron whereas JonTron just wanted a discussion so it was all unfair (and I believe thst insinuation is in fact contained in this follow up video from JonTron) ... how do you fight that logic?

Kidness if that's your path is fine, it is not mine and that does not make my path lesser

This literally the dumbest thing I've ever heard

Really? Are you SURE that's the dumbest thing you've ever heard?

Destiny debated him

Destiny beat him

JonTron accused him of baiting

Sai-kun

Banned
all the white nationalists have hated me for being brown and queer and nothing ive ever said to them has ever changed their mind

take that, moderates

Arjayes

Banned
I wasn't aware of the first thread, and I'm late to this thread but I just wanted to say that Japan's direction, as of right now, is to bring in lots of immigrants in order to help the country grow so it's weird that Japan was brought up as a reference for JonTron's point.

I wasn't aware of the first thread, and I'm late to this thread but I just wanted to say that Japan's direction, as of right now, is to bring in lots of immigrants in order to help the country grow so it's weird that Japan was brought up as a reference for JonTron's point.
I pointed this out in the earlier thread, Japan is a perfect example of why racial/cultural purity is terrible for any country. Japan's birth rate is low enough that their economy is going to bottom out and contract, no one will be there to replace the old workers who are now receiving government pensions.

Birth rates drop with higher education and income levels, and wouldn't you know it, the immigrants coming here who are starting from scratch tend to fall short of natural citizens and end up having larger families. If Jon is so concerned about the future of the white race (there's no such thing but anyway) he should tell white people to fuck more.

I pointed this out in the earlier thread, Japan is a perfect example of why racial/cultural purity is terrible for any country. Japan's birth rate is low enough that their economy is going to bottom out and contract, no one will be there to replace the old workers who are now receiving government pensions.

Birth rates drop with higher education and income levels, and wouldn't you know it, the immigrants coming here who are starting from scratch tend to fall short of natural citizens and end up having larger families. If Jon is so concerned about the future of the white race (there's no such thing but anyway) he should tell white people to fuck more.

One aspect that was never explored in the debate was this idea of perpetual growth. We can see Germany and Japan have very low birth rates as do other western countries and there needs to be more people brought in to support the aging population and to grow but further down the line there's going to be a bigger older population and more people will need to be brought in.

There will be a limit on how big a country like Japan can be before the problems of sustaining a country with growth will need to be faced.

L Thammy

Can you all do me a favour? The next time someone make a driveby post defending a racist YouTuber by saying his critics are just as bad for calling out his racism, can you ask them what their opinion is on FAFSA loans? Maybe chemtrails or pizza? Thanks.

One aspect that was never explored in the debate was this idea of perpetual growth. We can see Germany and Japan have very low birth rates as do other western countries and there needs to be more people brought in to support the aging population and to grow but further down the line there's going to be a bigger older population and more people will need to be brought in.

There will be a limit on how big a country like Japan can be before the problems of sustaining a country with growth will need to be faced.

I've always thought the idea of continued "sustainable growth," in relation to both population and economics (profits, company size, etc) a doomed strategy. There is only so much growth possible until resources become sparse, institutions become unwieldy, and markets become saturated. At some point we need to talk about maintainability.

Edit: But this is probably a topic for a very different thread

I've always thought the idea of continued "sustainable growth," in relation to both population and economics (profits, company size, etc) a doomed strategy. There is only so much growth possible until resources become sparse, institutions become unwieldy, and markets become saturated. At some point we need to talk about maintainability.

Edit: But this is probably a topic for a very different thread
It is getting off-topic, but in the case of Japan the problem is that the population is contracting. In a perfect, lab-controlled environment you'd probably want an average of 2.1 children in each family (that .1 is basically a margin of error). Mom and Dad each get replaced by their offspring. But Japan's birth rate is only 1.4. An easy way to solve this problem would be to bring in more immigrants, but that clashes hard with their social and cultural values, something that people like Jon seem to think is great.

We do not aim to do this to silence the criticisms of Jon's words but we do aim to bring the subreddit back to a healthy place and we believe steering this subreddit away from politics is the correct course of action.
/r/Jontron is a subreddit about a youtuber who reviews games and movies. It is not a subreddit for serious political discussion or a place for people to push political agendas.
We hope that the majority of you all can agree that this is the best way to make the subreddit return to its former glory.
Side Note
We, the mods at /r/Jontron are not supporting or condemning Jon's words. To do so would be unprofessional and cause even more issues within the subreddit. At the end of the day, this is /r/Jontron and no amount of politics is going to make this less of a JonTron subreddit.
Side Side Note
We are making these changes based on what we feel is best for the subreddit. If there is too much push back on this we are willing to undo these changes. We hope you can all bear with us in these weird times.

[–]danieloneill -1 points 4 hours ago
How can you not stand up to racism and bigotry? This is not a good thing to do.

[–]Dudeofallteenages[M] 3 points 50 minutes ago
We're here to stand up for the community, first and foremost.

[–]MetaKnightsMetanite 5 points 3 hours ago
Their job is to moderate the subreddit, not provide topical discussion as to whether or not they agree with what Jon said. I personally think what he said wasn't tasteful, but it would be unprofessional of the mods to say so. They are remaining impartial, as good mods do.

HA HA HA.... figures

These people have no idea what professional means

[–]2718281828 -4 points 6 hours ago
"Condemning racism would be unprofessional."
I guess if that's where your priorities lie.

[–]leonfook 22 points 5 hours ago
"Taking side would be unprofessional"
I guess i'll just conveniently misread your word.
Ftfy

[–]Fooshi 12 points 6 hours ago
Stop twisting words and leave this sub. It's pretty clear you're here for the drama.

[–]xandan[S,M] 17 points 6 hours ago
We are not here to tell you what we think about Jon's content. We are here to moderate a collection of discussion and content related to JonTron. To push our ideas into discussion while also having the ability to moderate the discussion is what I would consider unprofessional.

L Thammy

It's definitely not a natural American, like starlings or Jon Trom himself.

We need to be cautious. Parrots are genetically predisposed to bird crime. The richest parrot is more likely to engage in crime than the poorest pigeon.

[QUOTE="D";232545133]Just leave that guy where he is. More often than not racist/prejudiced-like behavior is often taught and raised with the individual at home. It'll take the same amount of time to "de-program" somebody like that cause its part of the foundation of their beliefs.[/QUOTE]

While racism is learned, I'm not sure I buy this if he's from a family of immigrants. Immigrants from foreign countries bring their racial biases with them, but the specific nature is different because the ethnic makeup of the area is different; a lot of the biases will be against groups Americans wouldn't even have heard of. Iran's population is primarily made of Iranic people, which include multiple ethnicities. (Dunno about JonTron's mother.)

Personally, seeing as I immigrated from a young age myself, my parents and their generation (from India) definitely distrusted blacks, but it was way more vague because they hadn't actually met a lot (if any) until they moved to Canada. And even then they're more likely to get along with people from the Caribbean because there's a certain cultural connection.

I suspect JonTron started learning this in the schoolyard and, as he grew up, continued to learn from the Internet. I imagine he's seeking out this information himself by this point. The things he's saying all seem like normal American white supremacist stuff.

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
Just leave that guy where he is. More often than not racist/prejudiced-like behavior is often taught and raised with the individual at home. It'll take the same amount of time to "de-program" somebody like that cause its part of the foundation of their beliefs.

Cleve

Jesus, every time I see this thread is still alive and bumped I feel like I'm walking past a tire fire weeks later and being amazed it's still burning.

I'm just blown away that it hasn't dawned on the guy or enough of his fans to realize just how far they've painted themselves in to a corner. There's always someone crawling out to try to explain away his racism, they just keep doubling down on it, it's lunacy in action.

L Thammy

Jesus, every time I see this thread is still alive and bumped I feel like I'm walking past a tire fire weeks later and being amazed it's still burning.

I'm just blown away that it hasn't dawned on the guy or enough of his fans to realize just how far they've painted themselves in to a corner. There's always someone crawling out to try to explain away his racism, they just keep doubling down on it, it's lunacy in action.

JonTron has a remarkable ability to say that he didn't do anything wrong, then immediately follow that by saying what he did that was wrong, and yet not make the connection. He did the same thing with the Zoe Quinn nude comic tweet.

Cheezus

I feel like the reaction to Jon's meltdown isn't enough actually. Jontron has a lot of connections to popular channels on YouTube and effectively none of them have made any statements or reactions. H3H3 liked Jon's statement video and left it at that, didn't even say he disagreed with the views which I'm sure they probably do, Arin is predictably silent...I've been checking on their Twitter feeds regularly and no one brings it up. It's just disappointing to think Jon might get away unscathed because not enough people are aware of what he said and the YouTube community is being complacent.

I feel like the reaction to Jon's meltdown isn't enough actually. Jontron has a lot of connections to popular channels on YouTube and effectively none of them have made any statements or reactions. H3H3 liked Jon's statement video and left it at that, didn't even say he disagreed with the views which I'm sure they probably do, Arin is predictably silent...I've been checking on their Twitter feeds regularly and no one brings it up. It's just disappointing to think Jon might get away unscathed because not enough people are aware of what he said and the YouTube community is being complacent.

I feel the same. I'm sure people are pussyfooting around this stuff though because they know deep down at least that they work and profit from a culture where too many of their consumers share one or more similar views to that of Jontron and to take a hardline stance would mean alienating contributors.

fester

Banned

MrBadger

To be honest, I get that these mods are probably just used to running a subreddit about shitposting and they're completely out of their depth just want it to go back to being simple.

But that doesn't stop the catch-all label of "political discussion" from being a frustrating dismissal. And if they want to blame someone for all this happening, they shouldn't blame the media, brigades or anything else. Jon said those things, and they're a part of his online persona now whether his fans like it or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom