• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jordan Peele's Get Out - 100% at RT after 136 reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

shandy706

I'm going to get a cheap UV code of this when it comes out if I can.

I generally find "Horror" movies incredibly boring and predictable. I suppose I'll find out next month.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Excellent movie.I assume this is the alt ending.
There is an alternate ending in which the cops actually come at the end. He gets locked up and taken away for slaughtering an entire family of white people and you know he’s never getting out, if he doesn’t get shot there on the spot.

Does anyone have the screenshot of
the top ncaa prospects?

yeah, he said it was that in an interview

he also said it was not the right way to end the film, and the inherent tension the audience feels in that moment is enough to server the purpose. the relief we feel when the reveal happens is important as well.

I thought it was ok but had serious problems with it. And honestly, the crowd reactions in the theater made me feel a little weird, laughing a bit too hard. IDK.

I guess the story was also really predictable for me. I figured it out very quickly. As a horror movie, it just didn't work.

I really wanted to love it especially given the social commentary. But I just don't think it was fleshed out very much.
Like why were the post-operative black characters so robotic? It would have been more effective if they weren't robots. What's the commentary there? Why waste actors' performances on something that doesn't do anything for the story line?

And why at the end did the girlfriend act so robotic and alien... as if to be a racist you have to be one-dimensional? The scariest thing about racism is that seemingly normal people are racists (disgusting, yes, but not robots). And that's a more troubling truth. IDK, that transition didn't make much sense to me.

I didn't think "Andre" was robotic at all. He was awkward because he was a 60-something year-old out-of-touch white man in a young black man's body. Also, the surgery does not fully transport the person to the new body; there is still a part that remains of the original person that the invader needs to constantly fight back.

Also, Rose being robotic is her true self. She is a complete sociopath, which she pretty much has to be in order to repeatedly seduce men and bring them to her home (and therefore, their doom) with no remorse. There were plenty of examples of old-fashioned racism being in play; just look at her brother.

LakeEarth

I loved this movie. I love how every single "WTF" moment makes perfect sense in hindsight. There's this part where
the black gardener (who was standoff-ish to the main character) is warmly welcoming the party guests, and they're hugging him like they're old friends, and I completely did not get it until looking back at the movie.

Something I didn't see mentioned in this thread yet, was how
he left the girlfriend to die cold and alone on an empty road, just like his mother died.
. There's so much stuff like that in this movie.

Reeks

I didn't think "Andre" was robotic at all. He was awkward because he was a 60-something year-old out-of-touch white man in a young black man's body. Also, the surgery does not fully transport the person to the new body; there is still a part that remains of the original person that the invader needs to constantly fight back.

Also, Rose being robotic is her true self. She is a complete sociopath, which she pretty much has to be in order to repeatedly seduce men and bring them to her home (and therefore, their doom) with no remorse. There were plenty of examples of old-fashioned racism being in play; just look at her brother.

The grandparents / former lovers were definitely robotic. The groundskeeper was the inventor of the neurosurgical procedure and is a shell of a person - but this isn't addressed in any real way. The characters were just used as a way to make things creepy. I get that not every part is transplanted but these characters are really empty and I don't follow. Does it mean the former lovers were quiet, award, robotic etc. because the grandparents sure weren't?

Yep. I get it: Rose is a sociopath. But sociopaths aren't robots. It doesn't make sense.
It seems like it was a way to make it easier to hate an already hatable character...
as a way to detach her agency from her acts. It didn't add anything- in fact, I feel like it let the character off the hook (sure she has a gruesome death, but by that point she doesn't even seem human).

The grandparents / former lovers were definitely robotic. The groundskeeper was the inventor of the neurosurgical procedure and is a shell of a person - but this isn't addressed in any real way. The characters were just used as a way to make things creepy. I get that not every part is transplanted but these characters are really empty and I don't follow. Does it mean the former lovers were quiet, award, robotic etc. because the grandparents sure weren't?

Yep. I get it: Rose is a sociopath. But sociopaths aren't robots. It doesn't make sense.
It seems like it was a way to make it easier to hate an already hatable character...
as a way to detach her agency from her acts. It didn't add anything- in fact, I feel like it let the character off the hook (sure she has a gruesome death, but by that point she doesn't even seem human).
? It's pretty straightforward to see the grandparents performance has been an off kilter, creepy result of the operation (In retrospect). And when you're watching the movie for the first time it helps create an atmosphere of strangeness and uncertainty ( as opposed to playing it straight).

And rose's performance was quite different from the grandparents. Yes, not all sociopaths are stoic, but some are. And in this case it was an excellent contrast to the warm and believable performance she gave throughout the rest of the movie. That contrast wouldn't be there nearly as much if she played it how you would've wanted her to. And for what it's worth, no one in my circle hated her less because of the end-of-movie performance.

Cromat

Just caught this. Thought it was great and lived up to the hype.
I'm glad they went with a happy ending.

My theater also had cheers when
he started murdering the fuckers
. Some scenes are just genius in hindsight
like the Grandma starting to cry because the controlled black woman responded to what he was saying about being nervous around too many white people.

Reeks

? It's pretty straightforward to see the grandparents performance has been an off kilter, creepy result of the operation (In retrospect). And when you're watching the movie for the first time it helps create an atmosphere of strangeness and uncertainty ( as opposed to playing it straight).

And rose's performance was quite different from the grandparents. Yes, not all sociopaths are stoic, but some are. And in this case it was an excellent contrast to the warm and believable performance she gave throughout the rest of the movie. That contrast wouldn't be there nearly as much if she played it how you would've wanted her to. And for what it's worth, no one in my circle hated her less because of the end-of-movie performance.
If it's a result of the operation, then why are so many people so excited about undergoing it? They're going to end up like zombies? It would be creepier if there was a false sense of comfort, like how it is with the rest of the family- the glimpses of their true selves is scary. Using the grandparents to really drive home the creepiness is too easy. Again, with Andre it's creepier because he's an actual character, or two for that matter.

As for Rose, I just don't see the need for a sharp contrast of being lovable and dynamic to the wooden sociopath she later becomes. What does it add?

dopplr

Watched this a few days ago and loved it despite being able to tell what was going to happen for the most part. One of my favorite movie endings as well.

GhaleonEB

If it's a result of the operation, then why are so many people so excited about undergoing it? They're going to end up like zombies? It would be creepier if there was a false sense of comfort, like how it is with the rest of the family- the glimpses of their true selves is scary.

There are multiple reasons I think, but the most basic is, they're old people, and are looking to extend their lives, however imperfectly.

If it's a result of the operation, then why are so many people so excited about undergoing it? They're going to end up like zombies? It would be creepier if there was a false sense of comfort, like how it is with the rest of the family- the glimpses of their true selves is scary. Using the grandparents to really drive home the creepiness is too easy. Again, with Andre it's creepier because he's an actual character, or two for that matter.

As for Rose, I just don't see the need for a sharp contrast of being lovable and dynamic to the wooden sociopath she later becomes. What does it add?
I don't think it's accurate to describe them as zombies, which are generally slow moving and dim, while the grandparents show agility and intelligence. Examples include the grandfather sprinting in the night and the grandmother assuring Chris that everything was okay with the cell phone situation. Andre is another example where there seems to have been a very successful operation all things considered. A small number of people would be excited to make this transition as it would mean prolonged life, restored abilities, etc. The reason the movie's approach to those performances worked for me is that it led me (and several others I've spoken to) to believe initially that their condition was a result of hypnosis -- it was a good misdirection.

What does Rose's transformation add? It adds a sharp contrast. And for me that sharp contrast makes her character all the more effectively heartless -- for her to be able to present such a simultaneously believable and false persona, when in reality she's so far removed from that, made me hate her all the more.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
So basically what's her name has to sleep with a bunch of guys to lure them into the whole thing. And she doesn't seem to GAF about them ultimately. I find that more disturbing.

akira28

rose
being all unemotional with a dead personality could be because her creepy thing is changing her personality to match the person she's hunting. her brother is a brute force hunter, and she slowly stalks her prey and brings them down gently.

Speevy

Banned
This movie felt like leftover key and peele skits that were done in a serious tone

I give it a 1 out of 5

It really bothers me more that you think this film had a serious tone.

Like...on a scale of from Bugs Bunny to Martin Scorsese's Silence, this had a serious tone to you.

Reeks

I don't think it's accurate to describe them as zombies, which are generally slow moving and dim, while the grandparents show agility and intelligence. Examples include the grandfather sprinting in the night and the grandmother assuring Chris that everything was okay with the cell phone situation. Andre is another example where there seems to have been a very successful operation all things considered. A small number of people would be excited to make this transition as it would mean prolonged life, restored abilities, etc. The reason the movie's approach to those performances worked for me is that it led me (and several others I've spoken to) to believe initially that their condition was a result of hypnosis -- it was a good misdirection.

What does Rose's transformation add? It adds a sharp contrast. And for me that sharp contrast makes her character all the more effectively heartless -- for her to be able to present such a simultaneously believable and false persona, when in reality she's so far removed from that, made me hate her all the more.
OK that's fair with respect to the misdirection, but in hindsight the performances of the transplantees still don't make sense to me with the exception of Andre.
And maybe zombie isn't the right description but as you pointed out it seems like they're hypnotized or something.

And as for Rose, I see your point now. But the way I see it, she's not just unemotional, she's robotic. And I don't think that makes her any more heartless than being the same person with the most sinister of intentions. Conceptually I still think it's a cop-out.

This is still running in my town after all this time, so I figured this weekend might be my last chance to see it in a theater. Glad I did. Great thriller. It also touches some very primal places and buttons that people, especially well-meaning white liberals, like to avoid.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Finally saw it tonight. Really enjoyed it. The theater was close to full, too.

I'm extremely late on this movie and didn't know much about it, but I thought it was great. Much better than Don't Breathe. You can easily root for the main character and he seems to make all the smart decisions (which most movies they always do the dumbest shit).

His TSA friend was the best part.

I saw this movie a while ago and I just realized that
the bingo game was an auction for Chris's body. I thought it was just some weird cult shit.
I feel dumb.

Kyzer

Banned
I thought the whole movie was setting up the TSA friend to have a revenge thriller lol. I was way wrong

Gambit

Finally out in Europe. Managed to watch it last night, not having seen any trailers, and found it incredible!

What a marvellous film. It's just extraordinary good at creating tension.

What I truly love is how the white people were not typical Hollywood racists but "good white people" who just love Obama.

Finally out in Europe. Managed to watch it last night, not having seen any trailers, and found it incredible!

What a marvellous film. It's just extraordinary good at creating tension.

What I truly love is how the white people were not typical Hollywood racists but "good white people" who just love Obama.

From the trailer it looks like Tension: The Movie

I need to see this

Burbeting

Banned
Saw the movie today. Wow it was so good. The tightroping between horror and comedy isn't easy, but this movie somehow really nailed it.

Daffy Duck

When you look back at everything when you've watched it that locked off basement speech about Black mould and the extermination like rats is fucking stone cold.

Just watched it.

Wow what a film, that was fantastic.

Avoided everything about the film beforehand and man it hits you like a tonne of bricks.

Rktk

I loved it, I've been extolling.

Avoided everything about the film beforehand and man it hits you like a tonne of bricks.

Avoiding the discussion around it really gave it that extra oomph for me. That's why I'm staying out of the Blade Runner / Alien threads, spoilers or no spoilers, reading more about it only serves to lessen the impact.

Maxrunner

Too bad that skeleton deer thing didn't make the cut.
giphy.gif

I just got back from the movie and i enjoyed this one a great deal. Definitely one of those movies i wouldn't want to know too much about before watching it and i am glad i didn't. I also didn't watch any trailers beforehand. Now on to spoilers.

I really liked the dynamic between Chris and Rose, that looked really genuine and really well acted. I loved that scene where she sticks up for him when the cop for no real reason asks for his ID. I like what these two had going on.....i absolutely did not see that twist coming that she was in on it.

That scene where Chris discovers those photos i was hoping that this meant Rose had been under hypnosis all that time and that she wasn't to blame, but soon we find out she's just exactly like her family. Rose's actress did a damn fine job i must say, because she looked so genuine and well meaning and when we get that twist, she acts the part for sure.

One scene i don't completely get though. Chris is in the chair and Jeremy comes to put him in the wheelchair, but Chris while set loose attacks him. And then we see him pulling out those ear plugs/things, clearly to not be hypnotized by Missy. Makes sense, but before all this happened we saw him falling asleep as soon as the TV showed the spoon in the teacup. So........what am i missing?

Also, near the end of the movie the gardener kills Rose and then himself. Why did he shoot himself?

And man when that cop car arrived for a second i was afraid it was the real police and they would get the wrong idea and maybe shoot Chris. Damn glad this didn't happen at all though. Poor guy had been through enough.

Great movie. Loved the tense vibe too.

GhaleonEB

I just got back from the movie and i enjoyed this one a great deal. Definitely one of those movies i wouldn't want to know too much about before watching it and i am glad i didn't. I also didn't watch any trailers beforehand. Now on to spoilers.

One scene i don't completely get though. Chris is in the chair and Jeremy comes to put him in the wheelchair, but Chris while set loose attacks him. And then we see him pulling out those ear plugs/things, clearly to not be hypnotized by Missy. Makes sense, but before all this happened we saw him falling asleep as soon as the TV showed the spoon in the teacup. So........what am i missing?

Also, near the end of the movie the gardener kills Rose and then himself. Why did he shoot himself?
The tea cup getting tapped is what put Chris to sleep earlier. He stuffed his ears with cotton, and pretended to fall asleep the next time it happened. He was supposed to be out when they rolled him in for the surgery, but he used that window to get untied.

The "grandfather" - whoever the actual person was - shot himself because he'd been in the sunken place for who knows how long, and knew he only had that one momentary window of control before he went back. He didn't want to go back. Imagine how well Chris would be doing after say, five years in the sunken place, then gets a tiny window of control over the body. He wanted to end the nightmare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom