• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joy Division is the bleakest shit I've ever heard. And it's awesome

angrod14

"Guess your dreams always end
They don't rise up just descend
But I don't care anymore
I've lost the will to want more
I'm not afraid, not at all..."

"Mother I've tried please believe me
I'm doing the best that I can
I'm ashamed of the things I've been put through
I'm ashamed of the person I am"

I thought Radiohead was the sound of depression but, man, Joy Division makes them look like a Disney Channel's boy band.

Ian's lyrics are just sublime. And the raw sound, the base, the guitar, the drums. The production. Everything is so simple, relentless, unpretentious, and it hits so hard.

GOAT band.

nush

now watch and enjoy...

24_Hour_Party_People_quad_poster.jpg

Winter John

Gold Member
My old man has the original 12” vinyl of Love will tear us apart. We were talking about his will one day cos he had a lawyer going through all his shit. I told him he could give his apartments and all the rest to my sisters but I wanted that record because I got so many memories of listening to it when I was growing up.
Anyway they made a real good film about Ian Curtis, it’s called Control. I recommend watching it if you’re a fan

My old man has the original 12” vinyl of Love will tear us apart. We were talking about his will one day cos he had a lawyer going through all his shit. I told him he could give his apartments and all the rest to my sisters but I wanted that record because I got so many memories of listening to it when I was growing up.
Anyway they made a real good film about Ian Curtis, it’s called Control. I recommend watching it if you’re a fan
I have that, i have all the original singles with their beautiful art, Original albums and a rare italian printing of Closer. I have bernard sumners pick that i caught myself too. oh sorry i meant...joy divison who is that?

Last edited:
Ian was such a wreck, but if he didn’t go then we would’ve never gotten New Order

Kinda like if Andrew Wood never died we would’ve never gotten Pearl Jam

It was a logical progression....plenty of New Orders work carries both the spirit of punk as well as the moodiness of post punk. Even later on as they moved into more jangle house pop, the ghost is always there.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
The movie is decent if you're interested in the band

They are indeed awesome.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
For some reason modern generations are only familiar with the bubbly pop music from the 1980ies, but there was a truly staggering amount of dark, moody and heavy music made during the entire decade, from stark post punk to gritty electronic music, from industrial to dark wave.

For some reason modern generations are only familiar with the bubbly pop music from the 1980ies, but there was a truly staggering amount of dark, moody and heavy music made during the entire decade, from stark post punk to gritty electronic music, from industrial to dark wave.

my man!

SirTerry-T

Tears For Fears have no fucking right to be anywhere near a Joy Division thread.
.though I'll give you "Pale Shelter" as a pass :)

Last edited:
Listening to “Ceremony” by Joy Division/New Order hits hard knowing Ian Curtis followed through on his word. Lots of musicians wrote about suicidal thoughts and death but most were just playing with the fantasy of it all.

Hrk69

Holy shit

I listened to them a couple of years ago and totally forgot about it. So I tried searching for it but ultimately couldn't find it

And then this thread popped up. This totally made my fucking day

Wildebeest

Americans were much more optimistic people than old northern British industrial cities because Americans got to see the sun regularly, not just on special summer holiday weekends.

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I thought Radiohead was the sound of depression

christoph waltz nod GIF

Not really though but I hear where you're coming from.

It's being described as such for a long time.

But if it resonates it resonates.

Sorry for the derail.

Last edited:
I thought Radiohead was the sound of depression but, man, Joy Division makes them look like a Disney Channel's boy band.
I've grown up loving both bands and Joy Division have there moment's, but Radiohead are by far the more depressing out of the two bands imo.

Kurt Cobain 90S GIF

Bridges

Ian was such a wreck, but if he didn’t go then we would’ve never gotten New Order

Kinda like if Andrew Wood never died we would’ve never gotten Pearl Jam

Yeah, Joy Division rules but New Order overall is so much better.

It's an interesting "what if" though, if Joy Division didn't lose Ian and they continued in the direction of "Love Will Tear Us Apart" and "Ceremony"

The first New Order single but still very much a Joy Division song as I believe it was one of the last he ever composed (there are a few recordings floating around of the JD version too)

Another album from them would've been truly special. Always a shame that such tremendous talent and art so often comes from an insatiable darkness and pain within its creator.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Yeah, Joy Division rules but New Order overall is so much better.

It's an interesting "what if" though, if Joy Division didn't lose Ian and they continued in the direction of "Love Will Tear Us Apart" and "Ceremony"

The first New Order single but still very much a Joy Division song as I believe it was one of the last he ever composed (there are a few recordings floating around of the JD version too)

Another album from them would've been truly special. Always a shame that such tremendous talent and art so often comes from an insatiable darkness and pain within its creator.

Power Corruption & Lies is probably my go to. Even have a t shirt that I sport to work sometimes.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I never listened to JD, but listened to a lot of NO and Pet Shop Boys back in the day. Older NO stuff is the best. All the stuff they released in the 2000s were crap.

JD and NO have the same key guy Bernard Sumner.

Top Bottom