• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madisen Ward and the Mama Bear - Skeleton Crew |OT| Make 'em smile, make a baby dance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Askani

uS4L6be.jpg

Short interview: http://youtu.be/jpobsaq7vLM
Release: 5 / 19 / 2015

This band has been getting some local press for awhile now and "Silent Movies" has been playing on the local alternative station. They were a hit at SXSW and their album comes out next week which I'm excited to get. So here's a thread to share the joy.

Track Listing:
  1. Live By the Water
  2. Silent Movies
  3. Modern Day Mystery
  4. Dead Daffodils
  5. Whole Lotta Problems
  6. Fight On
  7. Yellow Taxi
  8. Daisy Jane
  9. Been in a Ditch
  10. Undertaker and Juniper
  11. Down in Mississippi
  12. 12 Sorrows and Woes

What people are saying:
“…the duo’s raw, inscrutable chemistry was in full effect as they handily made a case as an inevitable force to be reckoned with in the days to come.“ - Rolling Stone Country, 20 Best Things We Saw at Americana Music Fest 2014

”…the acoustic guitar duo of Madisen Ward and the Mama Bear… created a sensation.“ – Ann Powers, NPR MUSIC

“There is NOTHING more beautiful raw and perfect as Madisen Ward & The Mama Bear in this entire country right now.” – Sean Moeller, Paste Magazine

“I was absolutely blown away by this unique mother-and-son duo and their homespun acoustic back porch blues. Their interactions with each other and with the intimate crowd were engaging, warm and welcoming…. it’s safe to say that Madisen Ward and the Mama Bear turned in my favorite surprise set of this year’s festivities.” – Will Hodge, CMT EDGE

”…there is unique, intangible magic about them that deepens the experience – a solemn, thoughtfulness in their delivery and a mysterious beauty flowing from their voices, their guitars and their bond.“ – Chad Depasquale, Aquarium Drunkard

What Rolling Stone said:
RollingStone.com said:
You may have heard the buzz surrounding Madisen Ward and the Mama Bear, a mother-and-son folk duo who, in a matter of months, went from being denizens of the Kansas City coffeehouse scene to an appearance on Letterman and, this past weekend, a profile on CBS Sunday Morning. Now music fans can hear what all the well-deserved fuss is about. Skeleton Crew, the pair's debut full-length lands May 18th, but the album is streaming exclusively now on Rolling Stone Country.

"There was a certain kind of sound that I wanted to make sure that we were staying true to, a certain organic rawness that I wanted to maintain," Madisen Ward tells Rolling Stone Country. "[Instead] of studying a lot of other musicians and using other formats. I just wanted to capture the music in its most raw, natural state. And I feel like that was always kind of our goal."

On Skeleton Crew, producer Jimmy Abbiss (Adele, Artic Monkeys) stays out of the music's way as he captures the tranquil intimacy of sublime acoustic-guitar-and-vocals-only story songs like "Dead Daffodils" and "Undertaker and Juniper." On poppier toe-tappers like lead-off single "Silent Movies" or "Daisy Jane," and cryptic blues offerings like "Modern Day Mystery," Abbiss adds few frills (the occasional train beat on a snare drum here, a tambourine or electric guitar lead there). That careful approach works for a set of songs that tackle life-and-death themes with character sketches and snapshots of the living that happens in between.

"There's definitely a lot of fictional behavior in the way I write," Ward says. "There's a lot of tall tales. . . For me, it's usually just about capturing emotion, as opposed to really letting people into my personal life. . . I really like to be outlandish and just come from wherever sounds good at the time."

Currently the band has dates with Rodrigo y Gabriela, the Tallest Man on Earth and the Avett Brothers on the books, along with slots at high-profile festivals like Bonnaroo and the Newport Folk Festival.

johnsmith

remember me
Bumping this thread because I just found about these guys. Just randomly popped up while looking for new stuff to stream. It's so good! If you like folk at all you have to give these guys a listen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom