• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JP: new Splatoon Wii U Bundle (+C&M amiibo), Squid Sisters Live CD, Sheldon's PicksV2

Squid Sisters Concert stage.

Would like to see that. Would be a good Splatoon arena.
With different squid sisters music being song by Callie and Marie in the background
Maybe even
Octavio
invading the concert with his spicy beats

TheMoon

I thought these were fairly new releases - are they even out yet individually?

If you had read on, you would've seen multiple people pointing out how these two are in fact not out yet. They come out the same day as the bundle. They're essentially why this bundle exists.

Blues1990

Would like to see that. Would be a good Splatoon arena.
With different squid sisters music being song by Callie and Marie in the background
Maybe even
Octavio
invading the concert with his spicy beats

It would be a neat touch for the sisters to wear kimonos & play this rendition of the Squid Sisters theme song every so-often.

There is premium in scarcity. Outside of PC, the Wii U is simply the best console this generation. There's nothing like it.

What are you talking about? There was a Deal Bundle with the Smash 4/Splatoon Dual Pack with the idea to sell and that sold decently enough on the holidays.

Also, are you seriously suggesting Nintendo SHOULD NOT make a profit? Really? This bundle is made for collectors or people looking for a nice gift to give to their kids.

Also, X1 and PS4 also have bundles with random crap added to it, come on now, there is nothing wrong with that.

If its such a poor deal as you say, then why even bother releasing it?

Those Amiibo are actually new and release the same day as the bundle.

Maybe something like 2 years ago, given the system specs and featues, i would agree.

However, i think the value of the Wii U has increased. For better or worse, the system remains unqiue in terms of interface and software in relation to the closest competitors. And it actually features exclusives.

The recently released Nintendo Selects further increased the value. These games are among the best of the best in it's respective genres. Having something like Pikmin 3 for 20 is surprising for a Nintendo first party title.

Things like the unique features of the device and the software proposition, i think counter balance the relatively high price of entry.

jackie-chan-illuminati.jpg

The Callie and Marie amiibo aren't even out yet. ...

You should look closer at what you complain about :)

I thought these were fairly new releases - are they even out yet individually?

I was wrong about the Callie and Marie amiibo, indeed. Now for a Wii U history lesson (all prices w/o taxes):

Launch (8 December 2012):
25,000 yen - Wii U 8GB
30,000 yen - Wii U 32GB + GamePad Cradle + GamePad Stand + Console Stand

31 October 2013:
31,238 yen - Wii U 32GB + New Super Mario Bros. U + Wii Party U + Wiimote + 30 days of Karaoke service
33,143 yen - Wii U 32GB + New Super Mario Bros. U + Wii Party U + Wii Fit U + Fit Meter + Wiimote + 30 days of Karaoke service

27 March 2014:
30,000 yen - Wii U 32GB + Wii Sports Club + Wiimote

13 November 2014:
35,424 yen - Wii U 32GB + Mario Kart 8 + Wiimote

10 September 2015:
33,000 yen - Wii U 32GB + Super Mario Maker + art book
34,000 yen - Wii U 32GB + Super Mario Maker + art book + 8-bit Mario amiibo

12 November 2015:
34,000 yen - Wii U 32GB + Splatoon

26 December 2015:
40,824 yen - Wii U 32GB + Genei Ibun Roku #FE Fortissimo Edition (with costume sets, soundtrack, artbook, stickers)

18 March 2016:
36,800 yen - Wii U 32GB + Pokken Tournament + Dark Mewtwo Card amiibo + booklet of all move sets

7 July 2016:
37,000 yen - Wii U 32GB + Splatoon + Callie and Marie amiibo

And for comparison:

34,980 - PlayStation 4 500 GB
39,980 - PlayStation 4 1TB

Yes, I do think it's terrible value and that, since the question was asked, Nintendo is only releasing this because they've been shipping so few Wii Us to retailers these past few months that basically the only way to get a Wii U new is to buy a bundle.

Of course I want Nintendo to make a profit, I never said otherwise. But I think they're pushing it so hard that they're choosing short-term profit over mind share and relevance. This is the pricing scheme of a company that doesn't really give a fuck how many systems are sold anymore. Traditionally, as technology ages and the release of a successor gets closer, you drop the price of the system and bundles it with new games to sell as many consoles as possible. Sony didn't get to 80+ million PS3s sold by saying "Eh, fuck it, we're losing money on this so let's throw in a bunch of stuff and raise the price until the PS4 is ready."

I guess this is the moment where I should add that I have zero interest in a PS4 or an Xbox One and am very happy with the Wii U. I want Nintendo to do as well as possible but losing mindshare is exactly the thing not to do before releasing a successor. Iwata said a few years back that he would rather sacrifice short-term profit for long-term profit. That was back when Nintendo was being aggressive with the 3DS. They've stopped being aggressive and I think that's a terrible move. I may not care for the PS4, but it has a much brighter future than the Wii U in Japan and is much more powerful. It should not be cheaper.

Mista Koo

They still sell white Wii U in Japan :'(

I wonder if the team ever expected the sisters to be so popular.
I wouldn't be surprised at all if they get a playable role in the sequel.
I don't see how that would work. Maybe in a separate mode or a spinoff game.

Top Bottom