• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Jul 8-21) The International 2014 DOTA 2 Championships: $10.5 million prize pool

Shengar

ibraMeooVs4I4s.gif

such emotionless doto 2 robots

I found the games really entertaining, but this thread is even better. Winners not emotional enough? People giving up too easy? Games being rigged? Listening to 4chan?

2VQMEbE.jpg

USC-fan

Banned
This has to be one of the worst internationals. Stream going down all weekend. A terrible match up for the finals.

Death ball dota is not fun to watch. Last 2 games in the final they didnt even get to T3? towers at all and they already calling GG.

The best dota matches in the past lasted 30-45 mins. It best to get the game back to that.

Really the finals were the worst series of the whole weekend.

sixghost

This has to be one of the worst internationals. Stream going down all weekend. A terrible match up for the finals.

Death ball dota is not fun to watch. Last 2 games in the final they didnt even get to T3? towers at all and they already calling GG.

The best dota matches in the past lasted 30-45 mins. It best to get the game back to that.

Yeah it happens like that sometimes. It puts into perspective how amazing the finals of TI3 were.

Jesus, just got done reading through the last couple of hours worth of posts and it sound like this was some of the worst Dota in history. Newbee crushed VG and VG calling GG without an ounce of passion in wanting to comeback. Just took the money and went home.

Sounds like the finals of the ages.

The line-ups in the last 2 games weren't really death ball push Dota though, they just completely dominated VG

shira

wtf you've been complaining the entire thread about trivial things. Why is it supposed to be 2 evenly matched teams playing 45-1 hour non-stop fighting. That's navi or Russian dota and they got totally shot on by China

Just enjoy the games.

The line-ups in the last 2 games weren't really death ball push Dota though, they just completely dominated VG

Didn't watch but this basically sums up pub games as well. I think big changes are needed somewhere (match making, item changes, nerfs, buffs etc). It really seems all matches are so one sided anymore. I can only recall having a few close matches this past month. Some of the closest most fun matches recently have come out of ability draft for me.

USC-fan

Banned
wtf you've been complaining the entire thread about trivial things. Why is it supposed to be 2 evenly matched teams playing 45-1 hour non-stop fighting. That's navi or Russian dota and they got totally shot on by China

Just enjoy the games.

OKKKKKKKKKK The entire thread of 15000 post where i posted less than 10 times...lol

Trivial things like the stream kept going down?

It should be evenly match teams in the FINALS! You would think at least. I didnt say they had to fight for an hour, i just said some of the best matches lasted that long.

I just saying what is fun to watch. T3 was fun to watch. Maybe you enjoy watching one sided games. I dont...

Nzyme32

There was only one instance when the stream (on the dota site) went down, for which the games were paused and another instance just today when the screen and sound died while Newbee invited family and friends on stage. The only other thing I can think of was one of the games being held up, but that was actually hilarious for everyone on the newbie stream as you can watch everyone gang up on Pyrion Flax for not loading in correctly and delaying the game for 5 mins

Schryver

There was only one instance when the stream (on the dota site) went down, for which the games were paused and another instance just today when the screen and sound died while Newbee invited family and friends on stage. The only other thing I can think of was one of the games being held up, but that was actually hilarious for everyone on the newbie stream as you can watch everyone gang up on Pyrion Flax for not loading in correctly and delaying the game for 5 mins

Yeah I don't know where this whole stream dying thing is coming from either.

USC-fan

Banned

Maybe it was just problems with twitch. I know it wasnt just me because the twitch chat was going nuts.

Didn't watch but this basically sums up pub games as well. I think big changes are needed somewhere (match making, item changes, nerfs, buffs etc). It really seems all matches are so one sided anymore. I can only recall having a few close matches this past month. Some of the closest most fun matches recently have come out of ability draft for me.

Dota is a near impossible game to balance for matchmaking because your MMR is your "Overall" skill level and might have nothing to do with your skill level in the current game.

I mean you can be really good on some heroes and really bad on others and your MMR will just balance them out, but if your whole teams plays their worst heroes and the other team plays their best, even if your MMR is the same you're not playing at the same level.

Hylian7

I found the games really entertaining, but this thread is even better. Winners not emotional enough? People giving up too easy? Games being rigged? Listening to 4chan?

2VQMEbE.jpg

This, I haven't watched the final yet (in the process of that now), and I heard that was lackluster, but everything else was amazing.

The meta is great, everyone always complains about the current meta. Sure, I hate getting "deathballed" in pub games, but that's usually when I'm playing a farmer. I like this earlier aggression meta, encourages less 4 protect 1, splitpush, etc. Yet there is still room for a little of those as well.

More heroes than ever are viable, and were picked! I mean look at this!

http://dotabuff.com/esports/leagues/600/heroes?date=&hero=&region=&duration=

Not counting the heroes I was pretty sure were picked in the all star game, there were ONE HUNDRED HEROES picked in this tournament. That is huge. That leaves very few unpicked heroes. That's really impressive!

Nzyme32

Maybe it was just problems with twitch. I know it wasnt just me because the twitch chat was going nuts.

Must have been twitch. I don't know what player was being used on the Dota2 site but considering how bad my bandwidth is, it was pretty damn fantastic and great for doing quick rewinds too.

Glad this is over. See you guys next year!

Indeed, same time next year! Oh unless that Darude stream is happening, which it apparently will do. Still hoping to see Gabe in a drunkenly put together costume of Sand King, dancing along to Sand Storm

Soule

So when I woke up and saw the results this morning I shouldn't have been surprised. Every team that I have wanted to progress has lost out (even at the playoff phase, RIP fnatic D':)

Oh well at least from the sounds of it I didn't miss out on much in the way of quality of the matches.

pompidu

Didnt newbee have like two full days to watch vicis strategies? Thats enough time to engineer your play style to counter theirs.

iamblades

That's not factual. EG made several poor decisions in that game 3 in drafting, hero assignment, and tactics which they had not made previously.

EG would have been stomped by Newbee however.

My biggest issue after watching all of TI4 is the format really created a disjointed competition. There was never a lot of flow between the days and the bracket stages devalued the positional advantages of the higher seeded teams.

Gaming isn't a competitive endeavour where not playing all day lets you 'come in fresh'. That's not how muscle memory and reactive thinking works.

Ultimately the losers bracket concept needs to be abandoned. Double round robin group stage then seed 12 teams. Play it out final four style with Bo5's. Bo3's have too much variance for such a high stakes tournament.

This wont improve the quality of the final necessarily but it will shore up the terrible disjointed narrative this event had.

ADota strategy seems in its' infancy in some ways. For being the older game than LoL, professional circuits haven't really led to proper coaching/training regimens for a lot of these teams. I suspect that will change in this next year; I'll be curious to observe how the balance team can adapt to more man hours being spent leveraging in game advantages as well as the player base's response to changes motivated by the uptick in competitive play.

^^ I have never liked double elimination tournaments, I would much prefer Bo5s or Bo7s in a single elimination bracket.

Anilusion

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ULT SILENCER PLEASE つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Top Bottom