• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic World SPOILER THREAD | Boy, do I hate being spoiled all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.
That clip is no more than what we have seen from the trailers already.
They come out of the box and just run a bit, just like in the trailer. There isn't even any dialog really.
Really don't see it as very spoilery for those on the fence.

I mean, even with just the clip, it IS a really cool moment. I kinda wish I hadn't watched but I can't help it.

Seriously, this is fulfulling so many childhood fantasies for me, y'all should probably just ignore any impressions of the movie I give next week. They'll likely be extremely biased.

Just watching the raptors run and leap through the forest--so good.

EDIT: Kid acts the SHIT out of pressing that button, hahaha. Anime over the top.

Jawmuncher

I mean, even with just the clip, it IS a really cool moment. I kinda wish I hadn't watched but I can't help it.

Seriously, this is fulfulling so many childhood fantasies for me, y'all should probably just ignore any impressions of the movie I give next week. They'll likely be extremely biased.

Just watching the raptors run and leap through the forest--so good.

I can understand that, I've been watching all the clips because I can't help myself either.
Don't think anything has been too bad though. Will be dipping out of the thread on the worldwide premeire though until I see it. Will have a lot of reading up to do.

I don't know the guy, but apparently he's well known om IMDB and has seen JW. Here's his review:

Hold on to your butts because this, ladies and gentlemen, is going to rock your world. Your... Jurassic World even.

This movie is definitely a major, major, MAJOR step up from the previous sequels. It blows The Lost World out of the water, it basically nukes Jurassic Park 3 past the stone age.

Forget those "User Reviews" that are on here, they are NOT true in any way.

So, lets begin our journey.

The Story:

This movie is layered as Hell. While the Indominus is the thing that starts everything up, it basically becomes the backdrop, the constant threat that looms in the background and that has to be dealt with. How? Well, that's up to the characters to decide. Let's leave it at "They throw ALL at it, even the sink". The story really is its own, like Spielberg said and it really differentiates itself from the original JP and most certainly from the overly preachy Lost World and the "story" of Jurassic Park 3.

This is a summer adventure flick that actually does have an underlying meaning and tone: wanting everything bigger, better and "with more teeth" will eventually backfire in a big way and trying to use nature for your own goals is never a good idea. You have to pay attention to pick it up, like Jurassic Park's "Nature can't be controlled".

It throws some curve-balls at you from time to time, especially with Owen, Barry and the Raptors.

Characters:

Quite honestly, the characters were all on the same level and incredibly human. They all had their own quirks that meshed greatly with the people they play it off of. Pratt does a great job as Owen and is what they've been saying from the beginning: a mix of Grant and Malcolm. He knows his dinosaurs, but when a lady catches his eye, he's smooth as ice. It should be noted that Blue isn't the fearless Raptor Leader... Owen is.

Bryce Dallas Howard plays the stiff Claire that kind of turns into a badass and the progression is pretty damn natural. It's as if she sheds her dull CEO skin to show what she's really made of. She also becomes fiercely protective of her nephews because of that.

The kids are awesome as well and they really ARE kids. Gray probably has a bit of an autistic streak (from what I gather, not in a bad way) because he basically comes up with stuff on the fly when it comes to dinosaurs, numbers, etc... He seems hyper-smart but emotionally unstable at times. Zach is definitely not what you'd expect. At first he seems like the unlikable brother douche, but seeing things affect his brother make him realise that he has to be his brother's rock so they make it out okay.

While Omar Sy's Barry doesn't really have much to do, he and Owen come off as fast friends and great collegues. They treat D'Orofino's character with caution because they know the @sshole is up to no good (Startin' making trouble in the Raptor Hood!)
The character could've been left out, but the addition of him isn't bad either. He's like that extra pinch of salt and pepper that you add to soup. It's good without it, but it just gives that little extra.

D'Orofino is basically, an @sshole who (like Claire) sees the animals just as assets. Things that can be used to further his goals. While you get his point, you'll probably still shake your head and say "Go Fck yourself dude... Hard. With a goddamn cactus."

The Raptors... Oh God the Raptors. While they aren't as characterised as I had hoped, they still grow on you. I won't spoil it, but you'll feel for them. This is the first time they aren't the "villains" or anything. They're not evil, they're not good, they're animals and incredibly real.

The Indominus isn't played off as much as the villain as we thought. She still IS a dinosaur of some sort and her behavior is pretty justified. She's not as much psycho killer as she is confused. She's the ultimate predator, and she acts like it, but she's confused about her place. There's a part in the movie where I thought "Oh come ON! Really?! No! Fck you Trevorrow, now you've lost me." but at the end, it played out pretty neat. Nature vs Nurture. Also: THE SITE FCKING LIES! That's all I'll say about it.

The side characters, like Lowery, are great. He's basically us. The Jurassic Park fans who think dinosaurs should be dinosaurs and not "pepsi-saurus" or whatever they're cooking up in the lab.

Oh yeah, and there's that Zara character too. Honestly? Nothing much about her. She's... There and then she's not there anymore. I'll give her a 10 out of 10 for the dive though.

The Score:

The music fits perfectly. It's used correctly, it hits the right notes and it had a Jurassic Park feel all the way around. It basically feels just like Jurassic Park has been brought back.

Overall judgement:

This truly IS the sequel we've ALL been waiting for. It hits the right notes, it has the right pacing, it doesn't drag one bit. There are a few things that I wouldn't have done, but I can forgive them because if I think about them, they DO make sense in a way. The story flows well, it doesn't skip a beat, it has its more quirky moments but overall, it's as solid and massive as the first. It's with pleasure I'll give it an 8.5/10.

I'll also happily share this: Due to my love for Jurassic Park, I teared up in the beginning (the park combined with the music really tugged at those emotional strings) and when the end credits rolled with "The Park is Closed" in the background, I teared up again because this was what I had been waiting for. Trevorrow did exactly what he set out to do: he made me, a 24 year old, feel as if I was 5 again. And it felt bloody good.

Thank you Colin Trevorrow, for giving me what Spielberg and Johnston couldn't. A true sequel to Jurassic Park.

I barely made it past that shitty pun, but HYPE, if that guy is real. Especially these bits:

The Raptors... Oh God the Raptors. While they aren't as characterised as I had hoped, they still grow on you. I won't spoil it, but you'll feel for them. This is the first time they aren't the "villains" or anything. They're not evil, they're not good, they're animals and incredibly real.

The Indominus isn't played off as much as the villain as we thought. She still IS a dinosaur of some sort and her behavior is pretty justified. She's not as much psycho killer as she is confused. She's the ultimate predator, and she acts like it, but she's confused about her place. There's a part in the movie where I thought "Oh come ON! Really?! No! Fck you Trevorrow, now you've lost me." but at the end, it played out pretty neat. Nature vs Nurture. Also: THE SITE FCKING LIES! That's all I'll say about it.

Between that last bit about the I-Rex and Josh Gad praising the final 20 mins...I have no idea what to expect.

Timu

I barely made it past that shitty pun, but HYPE, if that guy is real. Especially these bits:

Between that last bit about the I-Rex and Josh Gad praising the final 20 mins...I have no idea what to expect.
Yeah he saw the movie as he won a contest on Facebook to see it in Belgium.

He also said that the last 20 minutes were awesome just like Josh Gad said.

Yeah he saw the movie as he won a contest on Facebook to see it in Belgium.

He also said that the last 20 minutes were awesome just like Josh Gad said.

Yup, I've been digging through his post/review, haha. Also says the Rex was as epic as she was in JP1...not sure if I believe that, but definitely sounds like she has her moment(s).

Fuck, every new video, pic and information makes me think I can't get any more hyped but reading this and watching release the raptors trailer I think I am about to explode. My friends are getting fed up of me talking about it constantly.

Going to see it at the first showing 9:40am on 11th.

I seriously cannot fucking contain myself. 20 odd years I've been waiting for a film that lives up to the books.

Superflat

The impression sounds really fantastic. Was glad to read that the I-Rex is more than just a "evil" dinosaur; the way its portrayed in the TV spots and trailers, I was starting to wonder if they were pushing that angle too far. But hearing that the film is layered, portrays dinosaurs like animals, and the praise given the the characters is really damn exciting.

Only thing from that review that doesn't sound great is that the film seems to not give the Zara character much of a purpose or personality; I thought she'd play a slightly bigger role, and the same with Barry; that he also seems to not be all that impactful is a bummer. All the fodder in JP and even TLW (the named characters anyway) were at least memorable/served a purpose in some way.

But we'll see when the film finally releases!

And don't even get me started on the raptor hype. D'Orofino's character is definitely getting eaten lol.

Timu

Another person in the same thread saw it and said he liked it as well, however, he wasn't impressed with the T-Rex funny enough.

All I know is I hope the part of the film where we explore the open park better be good and in depth. Because we will probably never get another Jurassic film showcasing anything like it. ='(

Really great interview from Den of Geek

Yeah, about that sequence. Did you show it to a test audience? I assume you must have with a film this size.

Uh, we never tested this movie with anybody, no.

Really?

Actually, your theatre might have been the first audience to ever see the movie here in the UK. [Chuckles]

(...)

How supportive was the studio, given that you'd made the move from a relatively small project to one of this scale?

The producers I worked with on the day were Frank Marshall and Patrick Crowley. And Steven was, especially in the writing process, closely involved, making sure we got all the way there. I think the more he liked it, he got more involved. By the time we got into the cutting room, he saw the film several times, and he got really engaged. Then he went off to do The BFG, and he was supposed to come back and watch it one last time, and he just said, "You know what? Colin's got it."

I had the final cut of this movie, like you're seeing my director's cut all over the world, and to give me that kind of trust is something I must have earned. He would never do it otherwise - he would have stepped in if things were going poorly. And the studio would be the same way - they were completely hands-off. I didn't have a studio guy on set giving me notes. I was given far more creative freedom than I ever should have had.

Now I think about it - God, they really took a giant risk, didn't they? [Laughs]

But the result is, man, that you get something that is a very pure vision from a couple of people - me, Derek, Steven, and the actors. I think we are responding, as moviegoers right now, after seeing Mad Max, especially, how great it is and how audiences responded to it, part of that is that you get to live inside the mind of this guy for two hours.

People, if they want to be inside that person's mind, if they're interested in what's in there, they'd much rather have that than something that feels like a manufactured, corporate product. Hopefully, people will see that there's actually a lot of money to be made in letting people create something that is pure.

I was gonna post more, but just hit their site and give a read.

Really great interview from Den of Geek

I was gonna post more, but just hit their site and give a read.

Really cool. Sounds like what everyone was afraid of--newb director gets pushed around by studio--didn't happen.

Really liked this part and a peak at his philosophy when shooting:

We did extensive storyboarding, and we had pre-viz, where we have pretty much an animated version of how the film will look. I had a very, very small second unit that shot some of the vehicle-based things, but I shot all the action sequences myself. Each of them had a visual hook to it. I feel like there's a trend now to have two or three 15 minute-long set-pieces, and I decided to have nine or 10 two to three minute-long set-pieces, each of them based on an idea. I think the only one where you really lose the sense of geography is where it's intended, with the pteranodon attack, where it's like a Bosch painting. I can choose to look at any one thing. At first it may come off as chaotic, but on re-watch, you'll find different things - all these little stories happening all over the place. I think it will be fun, especially when people get the Blu-ray, to take some time and see all these vignettes going on.

In the history of these movies, you have very slow, creeping suspense, you have chases, you have "There's something in the house with you!", there's call-backs to various kinds of horror tropes that must be reinvented in one way or another. I brought the POV sequence with the cameras, which was a very claustrophobic, modern, uncomfortable approach, which I hadn't seen in the other movies.

And then just trying to find ways to misdirect the audience, but based on the knowledge that the audience is really savvy and smart. That they're always going to see something coming, so if you bank on it, like, when [mild spoiler redacted], I know everyone's going to go, "I know what's going to happen [next]!" Then [something unexpected happens], and it starts to subvert people's expectations based on assuming their intelligence.

I will say that the movie looks more interesting than it originally did.

The clips are better than the trailers too.

ONE OF US
ONE OF US
ONE OF US

aFX24bH.gif

Toa TAK

Banned
If it's a heroic death and the like it'll be fine. If it's some quick one death like in JP3 than no. I never minded that the spino won, but it was just way too quick.

My thoughts exactly. I want a real battle of the titans.

Also, I'm staying the hell away from clips. The movie comes out next week.

Some more comments from that reviewer:

Oh no, it's definitely "sh!t hits the fan, goes flying and hits everyone in the room".

I can say with certainty that there isn't one person that escapes it without a cut, mark, scratch, bruise, etc...

I'm going to see it again next Wednesday as well! Hell, I'd give a metric fckton of money if I could see it again right now!

But yeah, Rexy still looks as badass as ever. [grin]

It has the highest bodycount in a JP movie to date. No joke, there's a lot of death.

There are some epic dino clashes, that's for sure.

Says the color grade is "fixed" or at least it didn't stand out the way it did in the trailers:

Nope, they've fixed it! Well... At least I think they did, it never really bothered me in any way.

On whether or not the trailers spoil everything:

I'd definitely say that those that didn't watch all the spots/trailers will be amazed to no limit while those who have will still be amazed but will know a lot.

On a sequel:

There is a massive loose end that basically says "This is where the sequel would be headed, if there is one."

And here's the other guy who says he went to the same screening:

Well I went to the same event than Lavernus, and I can say that I enjoyed the film as much as he did! It's the sequel we all waited for! Colin did the jib right!

But here are some points:
- my main disappointment is the T-Rex. I gotta say I wasn't ilpressed by her. I don't know why, I didn't find her as iconic as in the first movie. And something in her design was not right... maybe because of the cgi.
- then the score. I found it just ok, not as breathtaking as in the first one.
- now sole advice: don't look for any more footage. I must admit it lacked surprise for me, because I knew everything that was gonna happen.

But overall, I can say that you're gonna enjoy the ride! The movie doesn't disappoint at all and was worth the wait!

The sample of "Our Rex" sounds like it'll be a badass fighting game stage showdown track. That scene is going to be ducking awesome. Keeping the autocorrect because duck you.

Jawmuncher

Some more comments from that reviewer:

Says the color grade is "fixed" or at least it didn't stand out the way it did in the trailers:

On whether or not the trailers spoil everything:

On a sequel:

And here's the other guy who says he went to the same screening:

Glad to hear there is some sequel tease. Aside from that I figured in a sense everyone in this thread was going to know how i pans out. Shouldn't impact the film fully though.

Trevorrows got some balls.

It was about three and half months out of production - they were going to start shooting in June. They had a screenplay - I was hired before I was able to read it! And then I came to Los Angeles - I live on the east coast, over in Vermont - and I read the script, and I did not understand it. I didn't know how I could direct it. So I went back and I said, "I'm sorry, if I direct this screenplay, it's going to be a bad movie. I'm gonna do a bad job, because I just don't get it."

So Steven said to Derek [Connolly, writing partner] and I, "Oh really? Well then, you write a better one. We've been trying to do this for 14 years now! Show me what you can do!" [Laughs]

Wait--who is doing the OT??

Ok, those impressions sound like what I have heard, so I'd wager they're legit.

I heard that something looks off about the T-Rex from someone else.. I don't believe they mean the CG, but rather the design. From what I understand, she looks mildly different and it will be off-putting to some. If I had to guess, it's going to be the skin texture. It looked more bumpy and less leathery in the trailer.

I've avoided asking for any details because I really don't want to know more about th movie than I already do... which is a lot. :lol

Jawmuncher

Ok, those impressions sound like what I have heard, so I'd wager they're legit.

I heard that something looks off about the T-Rex from someone else.. I don't believe they mean the CG, but rather the design. From what I understand, she looks mildly different and it will be off-putting to some. If I had to guess, it's going to be the skin texture. It looked more bumpy and less leathery in the trailer.

I've avoided asking for any details because I really don't want to know more about th movie than I already do... which is a lot. :lol

As long as she doesn't look like the toy. So Derpy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom