• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 2 |OT| of No Thread Name Can Do This Game Justice

So, I was flying my mini Jet that I got from the Black Market (Forgot the name) from the Snowy Mountainous area to the Desert area. I wasn't really paying attention to anything because it takes so long to travel. As I was holding the throttle, I decided I'd grab a handful of chips. As I was reaching down, I heard an explosion. I immediately look up and I discover that my jet had ran into another stupid plane. For some reason I didn't die, but I was still in the burning wreckage. Right before I hit the water, I parachute out of the plane, and then found an opportunity to Stunt Jump onto a Speed Boat. I hijack it, and continue on my way.

I love this game. :D

-Yeti said:
So, I was flying my mini Jet that I got from the Black Market (Forgot the name) from the Snowy Mountainous area to the Desert area. I wasn't really paying attention to anything because it takes so long to travel. As I was holding the throttle, I decided I'd grab a handful of chips. As I was reaching down, I heard an explosion. I immediately look up and I discover that my jet had ran into another stupid plane. For some reason I didn't die, but I was still in the burning wreckage. Right before I hit the water, I parachute out of the plane, and then found an opportunity to Stunt Jump onto a Speed Boat. I hijack it, and continue on my way.

I love this game. :D

upload?

Dineren

Banned
Hawkian said:
You have caught up and now realize it's essentially a cinch to find every item in a given locale, right?

I knew about that feature on the hud, it wasn't an item I was missing. It was a small destructible object on a separated section of the base.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
The Interrobanger said:
In the PS3 version you just have to hit "X"

Yeah, it was just the opening one. I watched that damned opening scene of the demo about a dozen times and then had to sit through the full version, I assumed the worst. I'll admit this is mostly my fault for playing through the demo so much.

Wiggum2007

MThanded said:
yeah i have found like 5

Each of the factions has a different collectible to find. When an area is within a faction's area of influence, these collectibles are marked on the map as a blue dot.

Also from the posts in here it seems like I'm the only one that appreciates the deliciously cheesy cutscenes. :(

I really love messing around in the capital city, sniping colonels off rooftops and shit. The verticality provided by the grapple/parachute makes me feel like I'm playing Crackdown.

Holy shit, helicopter slingshot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw6AmO-0kbk :lol

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Wiggum2007 said:
Each of the factions has a different collectible to find. When an area is within a faction's area of influence, these collectibles are marked on the map as a blue dot.

Also from the posts in here it seems like I'm the only one that appreciates the deliciously cheesy cutscenes. :(

I really love messing around in the capital city, sniping colonels off rooftops and shit.
The verticality provided by the grapple/parachute makes me feel like I'm playing Crackdown.

Sniped a colonel while he was standing in a base. Was across the river standing on a mountain.

I prefer this movement to crackdown. I am more involved and it is more skill based. Crackdown you just jump and dont worry. This you actually have some strategy when moving around.

UFRA

-Yeti said:
I wish. :(

I have the 360 version.

Shame on you for:

A) Not buying the PS3 version for the awesome video capture feature.

B) Eating greasy chips while you play games! :p :D

Wiggum2007 said:

I really love messing around in the capital city, sniping colonels off rooftops and shit. The verticality provided by the grapple/parachute makes me feel like I'm playing Crackdown.

Holy shit, helicopter slingshot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw6AmO-0kbk :lol

:lol :lol, I love his scream too

RS4-

FlyinJ said:
This has been asked before, but I didn't see the answer:

Once you accrue enough chaos for an agency mission, the bar disappears. Am I just losing chaos on that bar until I do the agency mission, or will the chaos I've gained appear in that bar once I complete the agency mission?

Wondering about this too, but I think it keeps count because I had two Agency missions in a row.

Randy

Amazing atmosphere. Really enjoyed the vista from time to time when my heat level got down.

How does one take screenshots in the pc-version btw?

pr0cs

Hawkian said:
You have caught up and now realize it's essentially a cinch to find every item in a given locale, right?
Again, the GPS will not show destroyable items that you missed.

I played a bit during my lunch break and found the item I was missing. The reminder of "each tower has a generator" is very help ful. I missed a generator stuffed sneaky in behind one of the buildings, enough so I destroyed the tower but missed the generator.

The GPS was of absolutely no help in this regard.

UFRA

2 Questions I keep forgetting to ask:

1) Is it possible to find ammo for Rico's Signature Gun? Otherwise, you just have to buy it again and again. :(

2) Is it possible to "save" vehicles? Or again, do you just have to purchase them again once you destroy it and want another one?

I really wish it was a one-time purchase. :(

Sanic

Boo to clouds, it's just like the first game. I fly as high as I can, only to be unable to enjoy the view because of the thick cloud layers covering everything up.

Also, what's up with these colonels everyone's talking about? The game hasn't mentioned them, as far as i'm aware, and I haven't seen any while exploring. Are they just in military bases? What do you get for killing them?

TheKurgan

Pandoracell said:
Boo to clouds, it's just like the first game. I fly as high as I can, only to be unable to enjoy the view because of the thick cloud layers covering everything up.

Also, what's up with these colonels everyone's talking about? The game hasn't mentioned them, as far as i'm aware, and I haven't seen any while exploring. Are they just in military bases? What do you get for killing them?

They are like the mini bosses of military/communications bases. You can't graple them and they can soak up about 10X the damage of a normal soldier. I don't think you get much for killing them...

bathala

Banned
TheKurgan said:
They are like the mini bosses of military/communications bases. You can't graple them and they can soak up about 10X the damage of a normal soldier. I don't think you get much for killing them...
They have an armor but it takes one headshot with a sniper rifle.
I got a message that says Assasinated

shit why isn't there a upload feature on the xbox? i still need a ps3 but can't afford one right now. did they say anything about a DLC for that upload feature for the 360?

Sanic

macfoshizzle said:
did they say anything about a DLC for that upload feature for the 360?

No and I wouldn't count on it either. It's an API in the PS3 SDK that allows for the upload to youtube feature, other games use it as well.

TheKurgan

pr0cs said:
Again, the GPS will not show destroyable items that you missed.

I played a bit during my lunch break and found the item I was missing. The reminder of "each tower has a generator" is very help ful. I missed a generator stuffed sneaky in behind one of the buildings, enough so I destroyed the tower but missed the generator.

The GPS was of absolutely no help in this regard.

Thanks, Helpful info.

It would still be nice if they highlighted small destructible items a little better. I don’t need help finding towers or gas tanks but power generators look very similar to cargo containers from the air.

RedStep

It's probably possible, but it won't happen. In an interview, one of the developers said, "It's a PS3-exclusive feature. You know how things work in this business." (paraphrase). So I imagine there's a contract in place somewhere limiting it anyway.

S1kkZ

Pandoracell said:
No and I wouldn't count on it either. It's an API in the PS3 SDK that allows for the upload to youtube feature, other games use it as well.
they could implement a video feature (forza 3 and halo 3) but no youtube support.
but i also doubt that this will ever happen. if they could have done it, it would be in there.

still torn which version to get (the 360 demo controls feel sooo much better, at least for me).

Sanic

S1kkZ said:
they could implement a video feature (forza 3 and halo 3) but no youtube support.
but i also doubt that this will ever happen. if they could have done it, it would be in there.

still torn which version to get (the 360 demo controls feel sooo much better, at least for me).

It's not really something you can just go in and implement after the fact.

I also chose the 360 version for the controls. I find the 360 pad to be superior for these types of games, but the youtube support was very tempting.

Pandoracell said:

I also chose the 360 version for the controls. I find the 360 pad to be superior for these types of games, but the youtube support was very tempting.

Youtube functionality and no screen tearing is what did it for me.

Pandoracell said:

shit then why they didn't put this feature for battlefield i don't know. oh well, i still enjoy watching others more anyways

dark10x said:
You should be able to achieve a perfect 60 fps then, by simply dropping a couple of settings (I can't recall which ones, but the loss in fidelity was incredibly minor).

can you share your settings? in the demo i would get jarring drops in fps. Dont tell me you are running it in 720p tho :p

Sanic

Not right now but at some point when there is a price cut or just later down the line i'll probably pick up the PS3 version. Of course everyone will have probably moved on by then, but better late than never!

I'm with you guys trying to find the military items to blow up. I have 3 or 4 villages that I'm at 75%-85% at but moved on because I became frusterated trying to find the last little thing I needed to blow up.

Pandoracell said:
I'm with you guys trying to find the military items to blow up. I have 3 or 4 villages that I'm at 75%-85% at but moved on because I became frusterated trying to find the last little thing I needed to blow up.

Ya its a tad bit ridiculous really.

TheKurgan

Pandoracell said:

Same here - bought the 360 for the controls but miss youtube support. Still might buy the PS3 version since Walmart is selling it for $40 and they had a pile of copies when I was there yesterday.

[RANT]I probably buy 75% of multiplatform Games on 360 for that reason alone. The only games the dual shock doesn't bother me in are PSN, Sports and driving games. R2 and L2 suck and the analog sticks are too loose and close together - IMHO. Sony really needs to redesign their controller next time around.[/RANT]

Hmmm no screen tearing on PS3? I guess I will have to pick it up.

TheKurgan

Pandoracell said:
Not right now but at some point when there is a price cut or just later down the line i'll probably pick up the PS3 version. Of course everyone will have probably moved on by then, but better late than never!

One thing I noticed about villages last night - Check the surrounding area for upgrades or Items to blow up. I was messing around in a small village last night and couldn't get passed %50. I gave up and grappled out of there and found another small village 100+ meters away. Turned out to be the same village/area and I was able to get the 100%.

pr0cs

TheKurgan said:
The only games the dual shock doesn't bother me in are PSN, Sports and driving games. R2 and L2 suck and the analog sticks are too loose and close together - IMHO. Sony really needs to redesign their controller next time around
QFT, I'm playing with the DS3 on windows and while it's still a lot better than playing with M/K I despise how close the triggers are together. And I find after a couple of hours my hands cramp up from the stupid stick placement.

Mrbob

Pr0cs get a wired 360 pad. You can find them for cheap nowadays. I use mine plenty for various PC games, including Just Cause 2.

TheKurgan

pr0cs said:
QFT, I'm playing with the DS3 on windows and while it's still a lot better than playing with M/K I despise how close the triggers are together. And I find after a couple of hours my hands cramp up from the stupid stick placement.

Years of playing Halo and COD on the XBOX pad have probably made me biased but for someone with bigger hands the little dual shock just doesn't fell right for 1st or 3rd party shooters. If I would have started playing FPS on the PS2 instead of the XBOX I would feel differently but it is now too deeply ingrained in my gaming subconscious. ;)

If Sony came out with a redesigned dual shock with off set Analogs and decent triggers I would happily buy 2 :D

Dragnet

AgentOtaku said:
Did they fix the issue on the PS3 version where you had to press down REALLY hard to register shots with SMGs/Rifles?

Is this when using R1 to shoot? I thought I was the only one with this issue! Would be nice to know if it's been fixed..

UFRA

Darklord said:
Just hook a gas canister to the fence and blow it to fucking pieces.

:lol Exactly.

I'm trying to get the 1000 Meter BASE jump trophy right now and I just failed horribly at what I thought was going to be a perfect attempt.

Uploading the video now...

DeadGzuz

Banned
pr0cs said:

Jesus is this 2007? I use both controllers all the time (360 and 360 on PC, PS3), there is no difference - no cramping, no issues at all. This is a fanboy fallacy IMO, reaching for differences to justify not playing on a PS system. I should just quote your avatar...

Honestly, cramps? Are you a chick?

UFRA said:
:lol Exactly.

I'm trying to get the 1000 Meter BASE jump trophy right now and I just failed horribly at what I thought was going to be a perfect attempt.

Uploading the video now...

WTH, the Youtube account has been disabled. I have no idea why.

pr0cs

Mrbob said:
Pr0cs get a wired 360 pad. You can find them for cheap nowadays. I use mine plenty for various PC games, including Just Cause 2.
Yeah if I can find one. I haven't seen a decent one in a while.
I noticed my local PC shop still has wireless controllers with the RF USB thing but I didn't want to spend another $50. The DS3 hacked drivers work okay including rumble so I'll probably suffer with it for now. If Just Cause 2 had some sort of online portion I would have probably bought the 360 version for playing with friends and whatnot. But since it's single player it just made more sense to buy the PC version.

I still need to spend some time tweaking to get the most of the graphics on my system.

UFRA

LovingSteam said:
WTH, the Youtube account has been disabled. I have no idea why.

Was just going to mention that the Gaf account is not working again so I'm back to my personal account. :(

UFRA said:
Was just going to mention that the Gaf account is not working again so I'm back to my personal account. :(

So stupid. Ugh. Ok for right now if you can post the links to the videos in the thread, I will try to work on the actual Youtube account.

pr0cs

DeadGzuz said:
Honestly, cramps? Are you a chick?

I guess if I was a 16 year old punk pulling his wire every 10 minutes my hands wouldn't get so tired but since I'm old and decrepit my hands get tired with the fucking terrible stick placement, made worse by the retarded rounded tops on the sticks.

Top Bottom