• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 2 |OT| of No Thread Name Can Do This Game Justice

Aesius

The little radar thing at the top of the map that tells you when you are getting close to upgrade items is invaluable.

Oh yeah - I just found the bubble gun. WTF. :lol

Sanic

Artadius said:
Ok Financial District, you win this time. I'm stuck at 97%

The area is just too huge to effectively track these things down.

The best part is when you get 100% on a city section and don't get the complete indicator. Damn you water towers/gas pumps

3% sounds like a gas station and/or a statue/propaganda trailer.

3% could be a Collectable too. I just spent 20 minutes running around a military base looking for something i hadn't blown up and it turns out it was an armour crate i needed to collect :)

If you're in the UK/EU then the Just Cause 2 SE comes with a map/poster and all the DLC kit but i think the items are split between different retailers in America.

In the city sections, you'll probably have all the collectibles at around 90%, at least in my experience. It's hard to miss the blinking indicator and you will have to scour for status, gas stations, water towers and propaganda trailers. I'm glad I have all of the city sections out of the way. The last two sections had me stuck at 100%. The first was due to a gas pump I forgot to blow up and the second was a water tower that was tucked away. Thank goodness for the Rowlinson K22.

Harteex

Dilly said:
Anyone succeeded in hijacking an airplane in mid air?

I did :D

Otherwise my plane flying skills reminds me more of this:
13z8ppk.gif

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
I love attacking Oil Rigs in a attack copter, just watch out for the sam.

Harteex

Mesijs said:
So you can find the collectibles with a signal...? Never saw that explained, how does it work?

It's mentioned in Operation Intel -> Resource items.
The closer you are to a collectible, the signal strength indicator (top left of mini map) will show a stronger signal. When you're very close it will flash, and you'll also get an arrow on screen pointing at it.

UFRA

As much as I love this game, I can't wait for the day I boot it up and there's a patch ready to download.

The save the last 30 seconds feature is a real fucking gamble now all of a sudden...

It was working just fine the first few days after launch, but since yesterday I've had it get stuck at the red "Attention" screen 3-4 times now. I just lost like 20 min of progress collecting shit because I wanted to upload a funny crash I just had, but it got stuck in that screen.

Damnit.

I've got to say, I'm having loads of fun jumping out of planes and skydiving all the way to the ground. I remember spending ages doing it on the demo of the original but I never actually bought the game. JC2 has just captured the exact same feel as the original.

However, in number 3 I demand that they allow us to go into the upper atmosphere of the planet and skydive. I won't be happy until I can see the curve of the Earth!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZRISnK53lI

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Only played around 2 hours but it's loads of fun, shame you can't skip every single cut-scene however (or do you need to sit through the first time you meet the faction guys). Spent all of my money on the first plane you can get from the Black Market and been having loads of fun just trying to take off in the most ridiculous places, managed to get stuck in a rock and take-off looking at the sky :lol

Is there something wrong on my end or are others running into areas where higher LOD terrain "melts" upwards into existence? For whatever reason it makes me nauseous. If it the same for everyone, is there an ini file somewhere with LOD settings that I can fiddle with?

Harteex

I'm a little annoyed by the AI sometimes. From time to time I like to drive around normally, following traffic etc. But if I'm in a village and I want to park my car at the side of the road, sometimes there are villagers nearby. Then suddenly all the villagers are super scared and shaking just because I parked the car >_>.

But on the other hand, sometimes the stupid AI can be fun to watch. I was at a small harbor town, and watched one speedboat crash into a building in the harbor, and another one drive up onto land.

But even though the AI is as it is, I think the game feels quite alive.
When you're standing on the ground and you see an airplane very high above you, you know that unlike other games, you can actually go there and hijack it :D

UFRA said:
As much as I love this game, I can't wait for the day I boot it up and there's a patch ready to download.

The save the last 30 seconds feature is a real fucking gamble now all of a sudden...

It was working just fine the first few days after launch, but since yesterday I've had it get stuck at the red "Attention" screen 3-4 times now. I just lost like 20 min of progress collecting shit because I wanted to upload a funny crash I just had, but it got stuck in that screen.

Damnit.

Here's a thread to report bugs, I don't know how 'official' it is though (it's a sticky at their official forum).
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=102151

Sanic

CabbageRed said:
Is there something wrong on my end or are others running into areas where higher LOD terrain "melts" upwards into existence? For whatever reason it makes me nauseous. If it the same for everyone, is there an ini file somewhere with LOD settings that I can fiddle with?

I'm not sure exately what you're talking about but it sounds awesome :lol

Harteex, with regard to AI, they actually use a well known middleware for AI that is suppodesly very good, but I wouldn't know it from playing this game. Avalanche must have butchered something :)

Aesius

As odd as it sounds, given the massive scale of Panau, I really think this is the ultimate pick-up and play game. It's so fun and satisfying to just load it up for an hour or so and take out 5-6 settlements. Or do a couple story missions. Or just goof off with the grappling hook. Or go exploring.

This is absolutely my favorite open-world game of all time.

Snuggler said:
So, I stumbled across this on youtube...have you guys found the
yet?

yeah i was just about to post that :D

holy shit seriously, i was telling myself "there's no way you can blow that up too"... and sure enough, yeah, he did it. looked kinda impressive as well.

Harteex

Pandoracell said:
I'm not sure exately what you're talking about but it sounds awesome :lol

Harteex, with regard to AI, they actually use a well known middleware for AI that is suppodesly very good, but I wouldn't know it from playing this game. Avalanche must have butchered something :)

I see.
But I guess it's all about what you do with it, and what data you feed the AI with.

The villager problem is most likely because the villagers only have 2 (at least visible) modes, normal and scared.

As for the boats, maybe the AI boat drivers are given incorrect terrain data around that location for some reason.

ok, I'm getting tired of getting destroyed by bullets. I've already finished the main story but they amped up all enemies with machine guns and rocket launchers now that I can't even look around to 100% areas.

Does the Bolo patch limit you from getting steam achievements?

micster

uugh I hope my 60gb PS3 isnt on the way out. The game crashed in the middle of a cutscene earlier and then after restarting, after killing a colonel in some navy base, I started being able to walk through anything
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh71ywB4s7A

After that I then proceeded to be able to sink through the floor and get into water. I blew myself up to die and when my body landed on the floor, it went through the floor :lol but seriously :/

Sanic

Harteex said:
I see.
But I guess it's all about what you do with it, and what data you feed the AI with.

The villager problem is most likely because the villagers only have 2 (at least visible) modes, normal and scared.

As for the boats, maybe the AI boat drivers are given incorrect terrain data around that location for some reason.

I'm certain it's far more complex than I was making it out to be, it's just too bad they couldn't take the AI to the next level.

Vehicle AI, especially the planes, is a lot of fun. They crash so much.

Artadius

With tonight's update I'm #2 in kills and money earned on PC :D . I have already put in 33 hours into the game and I've barely touched faction/agency missions. Crazy stuff. OCD represent.

Sanic

UFRA said:
Thanks, I posted the issue there.

lol some guy put in some of his ideas for the game and suggested a custom grapple length of like 5km. :lol :lol

What's wrong with that? :lol at that length you would probably run into technical issues with the lower LOD, but it would be nice to have something longer than 100 meters :)

Ugh. If there's one major complaint I have about this game it's the fact that you could be pissing on a bush out in nowhere land and you'll have 20 guys, 2 jeeps, and a damn attack chopper on your ass in 10 seconds.

UFRA

WHEW! I thought I lost 27 hours of game time...

Found a workaround on the Eidos forums.

Just incase anyone has the no civilians or traffic issue happen to them, here's Eidos' official temporary workaround until a patch comes:

Originally Posted by Eidos Support
Try starting a mission or race etc then quitting it afterward. Generally a mission, race or "task" reloads the area which should also include pedestrian and enemy populations. Please let us know if this makes any change.

I started a race and things instantly went back to normal.

Now...I can go back to my goal of transporting a car by chopper to the LOST island and then driving the car down the mountain. :lol

Artadius

Woo! Got 100% in the Financial District... not every collectible / sabotage gave 1% so there must have been roughly 100-110 items. I was stuck at 97% and was meticulously combing over the area block by block when I noticed a gas station tucked away underneath one of the freeway bridges. Easily overlooked.

For this city at least there were only a few water towers / chests at the top of the highest skyscrapers. Everything else was at ground level or near it. Chests all seemed (vast majority) to be on or extremely near the billboards on top of buildings.

Now on to the next city island lol.

SapientWolf said:
I saw it. I think he even yanked a guy out before he even hooked himself on the chopper.

edit: Wait, now I can't watch it anymore. It's been set to private :(

It's crazy cuz it is set to public but I'm not sure what is going on.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Artadius said:
Woo! Got 100% in the Financial District... not every collectible / sabotage gave 1% so there must have been roughly 100-110 items. I was stuck at 97% and was meticulously combing over the area block by block when I noticed a gas station tucked away underneath one of the freeway bridges. Easily overlooked.

For this city at least there were only a few water towers / chests at the top of the highest skyscrapers. Everything else was at ground level or near it. Chests all seemed (vast majority) to be on or extremely near the billboards on top of buildings.

Now on to the next city island lol.
This is one game I'm seriously considering a strategy guide for. :p

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Ok, so what's the best way to deal with a chopper that has a dude on it (so you can't automatically hijack it)? The game is getting pretty tough now. I try to complete a small village and I'm swarmed by helis and army dudes.

Salaadin

RSTEIN said:
Ok, so what's the best way to deal with a chopper that has a dude on it (so you can't automatically hijack it)? The game is getting pretty tough now. I try to complete a small village and I'm swarmed by helis and army dudes.

Hook to it and then climb to the front of it. Lean to the sides and shoot whatever enemies are on it then hijack.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Salaadin said:
Hook to it and then climb to the front of it. Lean to the sides and shoot whatever enemies are on it then hijack.

Yeah, when I hook to it I just hang below. The only option is to hit B to drop. Unless I'm doing something really obviously dumb (probably the case!)

Risette

A Good Citizen
RSTEIN said:
Yeah, when I hook to it I just hang below. The only option is to hit B to drop. Unless I'm doing something really obviously dumb (probably the case!)
Hit up or down on your control stick.

Lebron

Game is pretty fun, but vehicle controls blow clown balls. Though they were pretty bad in the first one so I'm not really surprised.

Top Bottom