• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 2 |OT| of No Thread Name Can Do This Game Justice

Lyriell

This game is absolutely crazy fun, but I think I'm starting to hit the wall.
Picked it up as part of the 360 budget range and I'm at 41 hours 40% completed.

Started to get a little annoyed at all the races, but I can't stop collecting.

Made a bet with my friend that I'd 100% this before Skyrim comes out and if I did, he'd buy it for me.. if I lose, he buys it for me.

God I hope that those races do not count towards the 100%

Lyriell said:
This game is absolutely crazy fun, but I think I'm starting to hit the wall.
Picked it up as part of the 360 budget range and I'm at 41 hours 40% completed.

Started to get a little annoyed at all the races, but I can't stop collecting.

Made a bet with my friend that I'd 100% this before Skyrim comes out and if I did, he'd buy it for me.. if I lose, he buys it for me.

God I hope that those races do not count towards the 100%

100 percent? Hahahaah good luck m8.
Anything much over 90 percent is nigh on undoable as plenty of stuff isn't marked on the map.
You better be writing every unmarked find down.

Playing this on PC. This is some crazy shit but I'm having some trouble deciding where to go or what to do next. The game doesn't make that very clear. I just end up blowing shit up for the lulz.

Enco

As I said in another thread, this game is amazing.

The engine is stunning. The whole game is not even 5GB. There are huge variations in scenery and there are lots of communities and many different NPCs. You get a huge beautiful world to do as you please in. Hopefully the next GTA is a mix between the freedom of JC2 and the extremeness of SR2. Having said that, JC2 is also pretty over the top. It makes you feel like a badass.

Just finished the main missions yesterday (also done plenty of side missions) and I'm only at 22%.

I recommend downloading this triggered explosions mod and using the Air Explosion. Much better than the normal one and it isn't too overpowered/underpowered.

I also downloaded the less psychic police, no black market cutscenes and longer grappling hook. The longer grappling hook is kinda glitchy (sometimes you get two temporary hooks with one being useless) but it's well worth it. It also makes it more powerful which is pretty awesome. Oh and I also got HD clouds.

I love how easy it is to install mods and how you can easily remove them.

DoctorWho said:
Playing this on PC. This is some crazy shit but I'm having some trouble deciding where to go or what to do next. The game doesn't make that very clear. I just end up blowing shit up for the lulz.

finally a non-linear sandbox game

TP17

Completed Red Dead, Borderlands and the Black-Ops campaign within quick succession a few weekends back (had started and nearly finished all of them but then stopped for whatever reason), so picked this up cheap a week ago after reading through parts of this thread and glad I did so thanks everyone =) Not progressed very far story/mission wise but having a blast.

Can't control the parachute very well though...

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Installed the mods and plan to play it later today. Tell me, GAF, should I play with a X360 controller or is the keyboard+mouse set better?

MrTroubleMaker

Gold Member
Keiician said:
Installed the mods and plan to play it later today. Tell me, GAF, should I play with a X360 controller or is the keyboard+mouse set better?
The controller support is great, you can switch on the fly between pad/km. I primarily used the pad, and just used the km on slight occasion (like sniping).

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Unless you are using the first person mod, go for the controller if you are comfortable with it. Aiming is quite generous here.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Guess I'll use the controller, I have to learn aiming using it someday, so I won't suck in console shooters anymore. Thanks.

r1chard said:
Get one of the black market mods: removes the intro/outro animations and unlocks everything for purchase. Game is way more fun then.

I need to get this. Do I have to pay for everything still?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Why not just get the 2km rope mod and bolo patch?> You can mod in money and chaos too if you want. I only modded in 500k once and haven't really spent. I do occasionally turn on infinite life as the game is still enjoyable but I don't want the frustration of getting killed. Oh and buy the parachute DLC alongside the boom pack. The air propulsion gun is all I use in most situations now.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I think the pad in this is really nice and one of the better implemented. Considering the options the game gives you, a pad covers it quite well. KB is always good but in some cases makes it more work. This one works well with both.

Gvaz

Banned
Relax.MX said:
Worth it if I do not like to simply destroy without purpose?
...I'd say no. The whole point of the game, down to the base level is to level everything you see as soon as you see it.

Well I mean you can avoid doing so, but there's no fun to be had that way.

The best part to me about this game is the extremely large detailed world you can play around in, modding a rocket launcher into a nuke, and unleashing it into a city, or tying people to my helicopter and jumping out of it crashing into a building.

stuff like that

This game is $30 at Target and probably everywhere else as well. I have a couple more titles to finish and I'm all over it. But Dead Rising 2 is also $30. I'm heavily leaning towards Just Cause 2 though.

Bought this during the christmas sale, but still havent played it dammit!!! After almost beating infamous I'm into playing another open world game. Probably will play this next.

LogicStep

I'm trying to mod this and I got the hook stuff working. The one thing I'm trying to mod is the clouds. There are some HD cloud mods but I don't see a difference when I install it. =\

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Relax.MX said:

It would be a lot harder to finish the game's story (haha, that doesn't matter at all), and you might find you destroy things accidentally or the enemies do chasing after you, but you can still do some stuff.

It is a large location this game is set in and you can travel around just to admire the in-game beauty, cruise around the locals, fly planes, do races (though more are unlocked through destruction and mission progression if you want to. More with various mods.

Still even with that, this would not be the first title that comes to mind if you don't want to destroy without purpose. It's part of the game's charm after all to do just that.

Dark Octave said:
This game is $30 at Target and probably everywhere else as well. I have a couple more titles to finish and I'm all over it. But Dead Rising 2 is also $30. I'm heavily leaning towards Just Cause 2 though.
Just Cause 2 is way more fun

Ding

Relax.MX said:
Sure, maybe. I don't recall destroying too much stuff for no reason. (You are "asked" to destroy megatons of stuff. You get credit for destroying stuff. Destroying "enemy" stuff is one of the main points of the game.)

I spent a lot of time with the PS3 version of the game when it was first released. I picked up a gaming laptop last month and it came with a free copy of the Steam version of the game. The PS3 version was no slouch graphically, but the PC version is really stunning. I haven't even tried any mods yet, but it looks ridiculous at 1920x1080. I hardly ever replay games, but I definitely will replay JC2.

BigFwoosh

I finally got this to stop crashing for me (had to underclock my video card slightly), and it's fucking awesome. I'm barely even doing any missions, and I've played for around 12 hours. Such a great time waster. Well, I wouldn't call it wasted time though!

Grinchy

Banned
BigFwoosh said:
...it's fucking awesome. I'm barely even doing any missions, and I've played for around 12 hours. Such a great time waster. Well, I wouldn't call it wasted time though!
Same story here. I was about 12 hours into the game when I remembered that there were probably missions that I was supposed to be on.

NBtoaster

Ding said:
Sure, maybe. I don't recall destroying too much stuff for no reason. (You are "asked" to destroy megatons of stuff. You get credit for destroying stuff. Destroying "enemy" stuff is one of the main points of the game.)

That's one of the best things about this game. Senseless destruction is rewarded, not just with monetary bonuses/upgrades but game progress. Compare it with something like Prototype where I sometimes feel like I'm wasting my time with random destruction.

kafiend

Lyriell said:

That's some great odds for a win. Will he be my friend too?

Salaadin

Nostalgia~4ever said:
how would you know that there will be a JC3?
Speculation right now but Id be surprised if there wasnt one. JC2 sold well from what I understand. Avalanche has also expressed interest in coming back for a 3rd game.

I guess it all depends on if SE wants to greenlight another JC game.

Nostalgia~4ever said:
how would you know that there will be a JC3?

With the buzz that JC2 generated online, and the sales which I've heard were very good, I can imagine that a sequel is inevitable eventually.
In addition, we know that Avalanche are working on a bunch of big projects, one of which is likely to be Just Cause 3, at a guess.

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
This is probably one of the best games to play in 3D. I mean, it's incredibly lush and the 3D visuals are immersive.

The gameplay is pretty fun too, but I'm having a hard time following the main missions.

Gvaz

Banned
The game sells well every time it goes on sale, and sold decently well when it came out.

It's done very well on the PC as well, so there's no reason to think it wouldn't be on the PC either.

Hurtin4Certain

Neo Member
Fucking loved this game... favorite open-world game in a long time.

The grappling hook/parachute mechanic was so good. It made just moving around in other games such a bore.

And dem graphics...

Just bought the DLC from Steam the other day, will be firing it up again soon.

Snarfington said:
With the buzz that JC2 generated online, and the sales which I've heard were very good, I can imagine that a sequel is inevitable eventually.
In addition, we know that Avalanche are working on a bunch of big projects, one of which is likely to be Just Cause 3, at a guess.

Avalanche is working on Renegade OPS for SEGA, thats all I know right now.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So is there an infinite ammo mod that actually works with new versions of the game? Everything I have found it outdated.

This really isn't the kind of game where I give a shit about the "challenge" of missions. It's really more like a playground to experiment with the physics of it all. It would be way more fun just cheating outright (superman mod is in one sense) than actually playing according to the mission plan.

I mean, especially in the case of expensive weapons and vehicles, everything in this game is far to disposable to be working on such a money system. Any vehicle is cooked in about 2 minutes and any weapons will just be used on more guards. The whole "earn the use of this" idea doesn't work on a chaotic action ride like this. It only hinders what is obviously the intrinsic nature of the whole game world.

Gvaz

Banned

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
zazrx said:
I'm trying to mod this and I got the hook stuff working. The one thing I'm trying to mod is the clouds. There are some HD cloud mods but I don't see a difference when I install it. =\
put the textures folder in the dropzone, not the files.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Enjoying the game so far, but I am having some teething problems with the PC controls at the moment, any suggestions? :D

Top Bottom