• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just had my neighbor try to knock down my door and threaten to kill me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cohsae

Mayfield.

Well, there's your problem.

For those who don't know Newcastle, Mayfield is seriously one of the scummiest places you could find. It's literally on the wrong side of the train tracks. I'm guessing you're a uni student? Seriously move to a better suburb next semester. Or next week.

Sometimes I really miss Newcastle, most of it's awesome. I never miss Mayfield I can tell you that.

reggie

Banned
Well, there's your problem.

For those who don't know Newcastle, Mayfield is seriously one of the scummiest places you could find. It's literally on the wrong side of the train tracks. I'm guessing you're a uni student? Seriously move to a better suburb next semester. Or next week.

Sometimes I really miss Newcastle, most of it's awesome. I never miss Mayfield I can tell you that.

I know, I know, but finding rent in Newcastle is awful - its all I could get

ckohler

What the fuck are you talking about?

At the end of the video, the police start knocking on OP's door. They don't say a word. This is only seconds after the crazy dude was beating on it. The first thing they say is, "If you're not going to come out, stop calling us." The police said that. They didn't even let the OP know it was them knocking before they complained about him not answering.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
At the end of the video, the police start knocking on OP's door. They don't say a word. This is only seconds after the crazy dude was beating on it. The first thing they say is, "If you're not going to come out, stop calling us." The police said that. They didn't even let the OP know it was them knocking before they complained about him not answering.

Oh, lol. I didn't make it that far cause all the inane screaming was getting boring =P

Yeah, he was obviously and rightfully so, scared shitless and hesitant to answer even a normal sounding knock.

That's on the police to let them know it's the "good guys".

For all his paranoid(from this crazy fuckface) mindset, it could have been a friend of the dude or a neighbor and still, the dude could have been right around there.

dojokun

Banned
If this comes down to the OP suing the police department, I hope this detail of them not identifying themselves gets brought up, just so we can hear the police justify berating reggie when he had no reason to think it was anyone other than the crazy neighbor.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
How crazy would it be to be watching this live stream and then all the sudden the dude breaks in? That would be kinda scary, actually. :p

You're hilarious. He's being terrorized by a mentally ill dude and you're turning it into a situation where you can make video game jokes.

That's what GAF is for. Duh.

ok so you can't get a gun... how about a big ass sword.

demosiussword.gif

JaskoX1

Banned
Sounds like the boss battle with Ganon in Ocarina of Time where you deflect his triforce powers. The "GET AAAH-T".

i thought this was going to be an american thing until i head the guy yelling "CARNT" through your door :p def aussie and im ashamed. you live next to a fuckwit
and the term "dowg" was this a drunk aboriginal?

RagnarokX

Ha ha! Ridiculous...

Reggie might as well stand in front of his door dressed like this guy.

Df5Si.jpg

There have actually been news stories where people defended their homes with swords. I think there was one on GAF a few months back. I just googled one where an undergrad killed a robber with a katana.

Digishine

Banned
white knight said:
i thought this was going to be an american thing until i head the guy yelling "CARNT" through your door :p def aussie and im ashamed. you live next to a fuckwit
and the term "dowg" was this a drunk aboriginal?

Hmmm :/

What do aboriginal have to do with this

I know it's been said, but you see this and just wish the OP had a gun. Ideally, nobody should have a gun. But that's unrealistic; there's no way of un-inventing guns, just as there's no way of un-inventing nuclear weapons. I'm an extremely liberal guy, but when it comes to the second amendment, I have to agree with the conservatives.

The bad guys are going to get guns no matter what. Look at Chicago -- a city in which guns are flat out illegal -- it's drowning in crime and murder. The bad guys have guns and the good, law-abiding citizens, aren't allowed to own one. It's fish in a barrel at that point. And to me, one of the cruelest things I can imagine is a good family being a victim of a violent crime and not being able to defend themselves. To have EVERYTHING -- their entire being -- taken away from them just because the criminal has a firearm.

We all agree that an innocent man being mistakenly put to death by the state is an awful, unforgivable thing. How can a defenseless, innocent person being murdered in their home be any different, especially when there was an opportunity to give them the means to avoid that? And I believe that even the people that are against the second amendment, being in that position, would give anything to have a gun. You just don't know it until that situation presents itself.

I'd encourage everyone to buy a gun and learn how to use it. I know that it comes off sounding paranoid, but something crazy can happen to anybody, and in that moment, I refuse to allow someone else to decide whether my family lives or dies.

Anyway, talking politics prolly isn't the smartest thing for a Junior to do, so I'll politely bow out. :)

Rapstah

I know it's been said, but you see this and just wish the OP had a gun. Ideally, nobody should have a gun. But that's unrealistic; there's no way of un-inventing guns, just as there's no way of un-inventing nuclear weapons. I'm an extremely liberal guy, but when it comes to the second amendment, I have to agree with the conservatives.

The bad guys are going to get guns no matter what. Look at Chicago -- a city in which guns are flat out illegal -- it's drowning in crime and murder. The bad guys have guns and the good, law-abiding citizens, aren't allowed to own one. It's fish in a barrel at that point. And to me, one of the cruelest things I can imagine is a good family being a victim of a violent crime and not being able to defend themselves. To have EVERYTHING -- their entire being -- taken away from them just because the criminal has a firearm.

We all agree that an innocent man being mistakenly put to death by the state is an awful, unforgivable thing. How can a defenseless, innocent person being murdered in their home be any different, especially when there was an opportunity to give them the means to avoid that? And I believe that even the people that are against the second amendment, being in that position, would give anything to have a gun. You just don't know it until that situation presents itself.

I'd encourage everyone to buy a gun and learn how to use it. I know that it comes off sounding paranoid, but something crazy can happen to anybody, and in that moment, I refuse to allow someone else to decide whether my family lives or dies.

Anyway, talking politics prolly isn't the smartest thing for a Junior to do, so I'll politely bow out. :)

But the guy knocking on the door did not have a gun because it was Australia, so it's a fucking ridicolous point to argue whatsoever in this case. Low-level crime and unplanned shit like this wouldn't use guns in any country that has decent gun control.

But the guy knocking on the door did not have a gun because it was Australia, so it's a fucking ridicolous point to argue whatsoever in this case. Low-level crime and unplanned shit like this wouldn't use guns in any country that has decent gun control.

The point I was making was that he should be allowed to have a gun. I don't care if the intruder doesn't have one. If a guy breaks in unarmed with the intention of strangling an old woman, I'd like for her to have a gun. You don't need a gun to kill. Grandma would be at the same disadvantage against an unarmed man as she would against an armed man. The result is likely the same. We're not looking for this to be a fair fight.

Fusebox

Banned
The point I was making was that he should be allowed to have a gun. I don't care if the intruder doesn't have one. If a guy breaks in unarmed with the intention of strangling an old woman, I'd like for her to have a gun. You don't need a gun to kill. Grandma would be at the same disadvantage against an unarmed man as she would against an armed man. The result is likely the same. We're not looking for this to be a fair fight.

Seems to me you haven't thought this through properly. If everyone had easy access to a firearm it'd be more likely that the unstable psychopath next door would have his drawn and fire first.

FootballFan

Guns are not the answer. It is easier in Chicago to get guns because there are so many guns in the United States. Much harder to get your hands on one in Newcastle when there are barely any guns for the public in Australia, whether you are a good or bad person.

Yagharek

nope just Aussie style racism. Psycho trying to break into your house to kill you? Must be an aborigine.

Sadly, this sentiment is all too common. Whilst Ive lived in places where crime committed by Aboriginals is high, thats more to do with the fact there is higher poverty and substance abuse in those groups. Those groups being the housing commission areas (government housing), low employment etc.

The thing is, you see the exact same types of crime in english background Australian suburbs committed by every other group.

Race has nothing to do with it, the highest correlation is simply to do with which suburb you live in.

For anecdotal evidence, I have lived in Hobart (quiet), West Footscray (down the road lived a lot of heroin addicts) and Perth (far more Aboriginals than in Hobart) - and the place I've seen or experienced the most crime is in Hobart committed by school and uni students.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom