• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just had my neighbor try to knock down my door and threaten to kill me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Too much calling the police, not enough:

DyAYd.jpg

PROSTHETIC

Neo Member
If everybody had guns, what would've stopped the crazy guy from having one?
Having guns is just making anything a bigger problem.

It's true, those clint eastwood western movies are actual current event documentaries. Every american starts their day off with a nice stretch and gun fight in the streets.

Watching the stream now... hoping to hear at least one "GEHDOWT!!!" before the end of the night. j/k

OP, were you scared while that nut was banging your door and screaming? I think I would have shat my pants.

Also, will you guys face each other during that court thing?

-Stranger-

OP you mentioned you said hello to this person once before, how did he seem to you then?
Did he seem like a drug addict and a dangerous person and did he say anything to you then.
There is no way i would live there after that, it's only a matter of time before you get robbed or worse as no offense you seem like an easy target.

ShinNL

and you decide to post on GAF instead of calling the police?
People like you annoy the hell out of me. For someone who hasn't been on GAF for long and already has that many posts, it's obvious how you got this many posts. Your very existence on this forum is pointless, with your damn hit-and-run posts, zero reading. I never understood why people like you do this kind of stuff. Who the hell visits a forum just to spam their own blog-like 1-line thoughts and don't bother to read? Someone explain me what the point is to stay on a forum where you don't read. I don't understand!

PROSTHETIC

Neo Member
I have no idea what point you are trying to make here.

I'm just making sarcastic remarks about all the anti-gun posts in this thread. "If everyone had guns.." then surely it would mean only one scenario could EVER come to pass. And it's interesting how some posts make it seem like they believe all of Australian police act a certain unprofessional way.

If this guy somehow gets put away for a long time then this will definitely be the thread of the year.

Seriously, there really is no telling what the police would find in his home if they searched it. Someone in Aussie land should call in something on this guy, you might just end up saving Reggie's life.

marrec

Banned
My Fiancee is concerned enough to watch your live feed.

Either that or she just wants to see a crazy Aussie bust down a door.

Either or.

Imm0rt4l

People like you annoy the hell out of me. For someone who hasn't been on GAF for long and already has that many posts, it's obvious how you got this many posts. Your very existence on this forum is pointless, with your damn hit-and-run posts, zero reading. I never understood why people like you do this kind of stuff. Who the hell visits a forum just to spam their own blog-like 1-line thoughts and don't bother to read? Someone explain me what the point is to stay on a forum where you don't read. I don't understand!

You and me both.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
But the guy knocking on the door did not have a gun because it was Australia, so it's a fucking ridicolous point to argue whatsoever in this case. Low-level crime and unplanned shit like this wouldn't use guns in any country that has decent gun control.

So if the guy is physically imposing and hypothetically busts down the door and is able to beat the shit out of reggie, rape his family, then murder all of them... that's ok? We'd all be better off with guns to defend ourselves against home intrusions because they equalize the chances you have of surviving. We can't all win a fight against an intruder, but we can all fire a gun. It has absolutely nothing to do with how difficult guns are to get in any given area, the homeowner should have any advantage possible over the intruder putting them in harms way.

Yagharek

So if the guy is physically imposing and hypothetically busts down the door and is able to beat the shit out of reggie, rape his family, then murder all of them... that's ok? We'd all be better off with guns to defend ourselves against home intrusions because they equalize the chances you have of surviving. We can't all win a fight against an intruder, but we can all fire a gun. It has absolutely nothing to do with how difficult guns are to get in any given area, the homeowner should have any advantage possible over the intruder putting them in harms way.

And yet with more guns being made available, wouldnt it be more likely that the intruder would also have a gun if they had intent to go and do those kinds of things.

It's a small-scale arms race, and encouraging it is not good. The fewer guns out there, the better.

Yoshiya

Australia is a better country without household gun ownership. It's pretty well known that a gun kept for self-defence is more likely to end up killing or maiming a family member than an intruder. The American gun culture is paranoid and dangerous, and most in this country are content to continue to live in relative safety without such weapons. The statistics are on my side on this one.

Anyway, that's off topic. Best of luck OP.

reggie

Banned
Court went as well as I could hope (not much). Dudes now on a curfew and has to check in with the cops every day, and if I so much as see him near the residence I can just call the cops. Back to court in June. Hopefully it will settle down a bit down.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
And yet with more guns being made available, wouldnt it be more likely that the intruder would also have a gun if they had intent to go and do those kinds of things.

It's a small-scale arms race, and encouraging it is not good. The fewer guns out there, the better.

That's the exact point dude. Guns are an equalizer. You have a better chance of surviving if someone busts in with a gun, and you also have a gun, then someone busting in who can destroy you in any sort of physical altercation. Guns don't care how strong you are, how fit you are, what random household object you have lying around to fight with... you point and shoot, that's as equal as it gets. All the better for the homeowner who knows the layout of their place and can take advantage of it. If you want to survive a home intrusion where the other person intends to harm you, you're not going to do much better than a gun for defending yourself regardless if the other person has one or not.

Court went as well as I could hope (not much). Dudes now on a curfew and has to check in with the cops every day, and if I so much as see him near the residence I can just call the cops. Back to court in June. Hopefully it will settle down a bit down.

Never found out why he was going batshit insane on you?

Yoshiya

If you want to survive a home intrusion where the other person intends to harm you, you're not going to do much better than a gun for defending yourself regardless if the other person has one or not.

I have never touched a gun in my life. I feel safer for it, as I know that's not abnormal.

Homicide rates:
640px-Homicide-world.png

Hmmm.

reggie

Banned
Anyone want to see the night footage when he came back? Still pretty much audio though. You don't see anything.

Yoshiya

I wonder if you'll feel the same way when a methed out criminal breaks down your front door holding a large knife.

Again, the rhetoric of fear. The OP isn't dead I might point out. He called the police and the gears of civil society turned slowly, admittedly, to improve his situation. It's absurd for you to somehow argue the OP's situation would be seriously improved if the potential assailant was armed with a gun instead.

Anyone want to see the night footage when he came back? Still pretty much audio though. You don't see anything.

Is there a reason you are ignoring questions about the guy's motives?

I'm assuming you don't know, or you're not allowed to discuss that part, can you confirm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom