• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just had my neighbor try to knock down my door and threaten to kill me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Man

You do realize that trusting those statistics is illogical right? Gun ownership is not some randomized risk entered into your life. It is something that offers zero increased risk for the responsible owner and great increased risk for the irresponsible owner.

This morning I heard someone mention that the odds of picking the entire NCAA Men's tourney selections and seeding right was 1:13.4M while the odds of being an astronaut are 1:13.2M, therefore he was more likely to become an astronaut than pick the brackets correctly. This view effectively removes all of the "user input" from the ratios of success, implying that the level of intelligence, schooling, and work needed to select the NCAA Men's bracket correctly is comparable to becoming an astronaut, which is simply ludicrous. Your argument relies upon the exact same fallacy.

Just an FYI, most of the lowest suicide rates by state in that image of the U.S. are in the most gun friendly states. The rate in Maine for example, where I grew up, is comparable to much of western Europe. It is consistently one of the lowest states in all violent crime tallies. In Maine it is legal to own semi-automatic assault weaponry, any state resident of more than five years can obtain a concealed carry permit to have a loaded weapon. No permit is needed for an openly carried weapon.

Maine happens to have either the most or the second most firearms per capita in the U.S..

Gun ownership = violent crime is a trying to argue that inconsistent correlation implies causation, and that just isn't logically sound.

God damn it. Will people stop making the assumption that everywhere is just like where they live? Not just you Drek, you just get the quote. I live in Australia and the US. When I am in Australia I don't have a gun, because I don't need a gun, because nobody has guns. When in America, I often have a gun, since every fucker already has one. Until you get rid of the hundreds of millions of guns in the US, no one will want to give their up first. Without a buyback from the government (not happening) there will always be millions of guns in the US. Don't make the mistake of thinking that means guns are needed everywhere.

GloveSlap

The crazy part is that this seems to be the guy's normal state of being. Like it wasn't just some night that he got drunk/drugged up and started acting foolish for a few hours. That would at least make some kind of sense.

-Stranger-

Let me get this straight, the court said he can't come near your house.
But doesn't he live right next door. Sounds like someone needs to teach him a lesson.
You can't go to peoples homes and do that, it's not right.

Like I said, it generally lets you know who's American, if their only real solution to this kind of problem is to whip out a gun and bust a cap on people's asses.

As far as I've seen in this thread, NOBODY said this man should have been shot. There were those saying Reggie should get a gun in case the guy got in his house. If you disagree and would rather pin your hopes on the cops arriving in time, that is fair enough. But pretending like this thread was full of Americans suggesting Reggie should have opened fire when the guy knocked on his door is misunderstanding at best, and fabricated bullshit at worst.

Oh sweet, a retarded gun debate.

Is there any other kind? "Debates" where both sides are right and wrong are the best.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
WHAT. I'm no psychologist, but I sense some mental disorders all up in this bitch.

No, thats just how bogans sound.

Also, WTF kind of cop knocks on a door without identifying themselves as police?

"BANG BANG BANG... IF YOU'RE NOT GOING TO COME OUT STOP CALLING US"

-_-

Koodo

Banned
Dear lord, this is insane.

I would crash a friend's or family's place for the time being. I would not be able to sleep in the same building as this person, especially after that last video.

I concur with everyone suggesting a reenactment of Home Alone.

Stasis

This thread needs so much more information...

I feel like there's no way he hasn't at least mentioned once why he's doing what he's doing, even if it's a completely bat shit insane made-up reason. The cops DEFINITELY inquired about his motive and did not give up until they got some form of an answer. I'd want to know that.

I also wanna now what this guy looks like. Height, weight, age...

He clearly thinks you did something. It could be ridiculously minor, or not even you. Put something in the wrong place... trash, bike/car? Had a hot water battle with him one morning while simultaneously showering in your respective apartments?

Something.

He clearly thinks you did something. It could be ridiculously minor, or not even you. Put something in the wrong place... trash, bike/car? Had a hot water battle with him one morning while simultaneously showering in your respective apartments?

Something.
He sounds like a drug addict. That is the easiest way to explain it. Some people are just fucked in the head too.

His ramblings make no sense, one second he is asking why the locksmith is touching his (the crazy guys) door and the next he is talking about burying whoever he thinks is inside the apartment. Reggie has lived there for a month. If there was a link the cops would have already acted upon it as they definitely don't want to have to keep dealing with the psycho when they have better things to do.

Dude is fucked in the head.

saunderez

Let me get this straight, the court said he can't come near your house.
But doesn't he live right next door.
The fact he lives there is irrelevant if it is a court mandated order. The guy will have to move, simple as that. It's the same deal as a restraining order or AVO.

Prologue

One thing is for sure, you got some balls staying there. Who is to say he won't jump on you when you leave in the morning lol.

Verelios

Christ. I would seriously consider moving. Regardless of what authorities say, they've already proven to be both negligent and untrustworthy.

This guy probably has it in for you, because of some mixed up reason. Check if he has a disorder.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
God damn it. Will people stop making the assumption that everywhere is just like where they live? Not just you Drek, you just get the quote. I live in Australia and the US. When I am in Australia I don't have a gun, because I don't need a gun, because nobody has guns. When in America, I often have a gun, since every fucker already has one. Until you get rid of the hundreds of millions of guns in the US, no one will want to give their up first. Without a buyback from the government (not happening) there will always be millions of guns in the US. Don't make the mistake of thinking that means guns are needed everywhere.

So what's your plan when a physically superior opponent breaks into your place wielding some form of weapon with the intent to hurt you? The question doesn't have anything to do with geography.

gabbo

The fact he lives there is irrelevant if it is a court mandated order. The guy will have to move, simple as that. It's the same deal as a restraining order or AVO.

You'd think the guy would have been spending at least the night in jail too, given everything that's happened thus far, but that doesn't seem to be the case now does it?

SRidge52

Banned
Here's a question for you, OP: Why don't you kick this guys ass? Or if you feel you wouldn't be able to take him in a fight, get some friends together and wolf pack his ass.

smoothj

Go buy some pepper spray and a baseball bat. Open the door while he's knocking spray his ass and then beat him down with the bat while telling him to try that shit again.

Fuck that some people need to be put in their place. Dont call the cops

Proxy

Here's a question for you, OP: Why don't you kick this guys ass? Or if you feel you wouldn't be able to take him in a fight, get some friends together and wolf pack his ass.

What would that solve? This man is most likely either a violent drug addict or severely deranged. I doubt kicking his ass will do any good.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Night video: "You wanna see the Macedonian king?!?!!!!!". Lol!!!

Wait, he mentioned Macedonian King again in the night video?
KuGsj.gif

In the day video he was calling OP a Macedonian King.

-Stranger-

He says

''You aussie ****ing dog''
''I'll give you ****ing health bills brother''
''Wanna see 666 mutha****a?"
''Wanna see the macedonian king?''

There was one line in between there i couldn't understand.
This guy is cracked

ChanHuk

Banned

Oh hey it's Australia. What's your neighboring country? Is it a country that has drug cartels running their country? Do they smuggle drugs into your country with men as armed as some small countries?

There's nothing wrong with legal ownership of a firearm. I can make an argument that a 80 year old man driving a car is more dangerous than a law abiding gun owner.

Vesper73

Oh hey it's Australia. What's your neighboring country? Is it a country that has drug cartels running their country? Do they smuggle drugs into your country with men as armed as some small countries?

There's nothing wrong with legal ownership of a firearm. I can make an argument that a 80 year old man driving a car is more dangerous than a law abiding gun owner.

Oh yeah! I could argue that a certain Macedonian king is more dangerous than both of them combined!

dejay

Banned
He says

''You aussie ****ing dog''
''I'll give you ****ing health bills brother''
''Wanna see 666 mutha****a?"
''Wanna see the macedonian king?''

There was one line in between there i couldn't understand.
This guy is cracked

That line is "hell's bells, not health bills"

God, he sounds like a carpet salesman with tourettes in that night video. "I'm the Macedonian carpet king and I'll give you a fucking great deal, ya fucking dog".

I'm gonna have to play this to my Maco mate at work - I always told him they were nuts! Then again maybe the spirit of Alexander the Great has been reincarnated into the body of a Newcastle bogan.

Keep your head up reggie - I'm hopeful this will sort itself out.

Mohonky

Macedonian King? Sounds to me like he's Greek or some other eastern European descent. I'd be more wary of copping a baseball bat or something. Least he hasn't called his cousins yet.

Yoshiya

So what's your plan when a physically superior opponent breaks into your place wielding some form of weapon with the intent to hurt you? The question doesn't have anything to do with geography.
Yes, because guns clearly have an amazing protective effect against violent crime. I'm not necessarily saying they cause violent crime, but they don't ameliorate whatever is the cause either, clearly.
You sound like a child.

Don't talk about Canada like that...

Dr.Acula

Banned
http://youtu.be/TvSaUUNRsBc

Night video. This was when the locksmith was holding the door, I think you can hear him in parts. My mother was there at the time also, I think she can be heard. Had to edit out the later part of the video because I was one phone calling the cops with my details.

Wait, OP, what's your Mum doing there? You need to get the local Aussie Rules Football team there, not your Mum.

RagnarokX

Macedonian King? Sounds to me like he's Greek or some other eastern European descent. I'd be more wary of copping a baseball bat or something. Least he hasn't called his cousins yet.

I think he's just referencing Alexander the Great, one of the biggest badasses to ever live.

Liberty4all

Banned
No way in hell I would stay there a single more day.

He sounds like either a crack addict or somebody with serious mental health issues. The court order isn't going to cut it. Either be prepared to defend yourself or move.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom