• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K Gaf, do I get a WiiU or not?

TDLink

I don't know... the "Not interested in Mario Kart, Smash or Zelda" tells me you're going to skip half of the reasons to buy a Wii U. Kart is pretty much the best and most robust online experiences on the system at the moment and Smash is the other flagship title for another 5-6 months.

Not really. He already listed 6 games that he wants that aren't Smash, Mario Kart, or Zelda.

Other games that aren't Smash, Mario Kart, or Zelda and coming out are:

Kirby
Yoshi
Splatoon
SMT x FE
Xenoblade X
Star Fox
Rodea
Devil's Third
Mario Party
Mario Maker
Fatal Frame?
Pokken?

There are also already other not-Smash/Mario Kart/Zelda games on the system that he hasn't listed, including a few major first party releases.

Nintendo does more than Smash/Mario Kart/Zelda and the Wii U's current and upcoming library certainly reflects that. It's a good system to purchase even if you aren't interested in those three.

AHA-Lambda

Thanks guys, pretty unanimous there.
Will try and get a good deal (don't live in the US, kicking myself about the Sears glitch!)

Arkhanor

Ben-Stiller-Is-Retro-Do-It-Reaction-Gif.gif

I got my Wii U at launch and I'm not very impressed with it. There is nothing wrong with the first-party output except for the overall lack of innovation. NSMBU is a great 2D Mario game, but if you have already played Super Mario Bros. 3 (or one of the many other sequels) then you aren't missing out on anything. The same goes for Mario Kart 8, Wii Fit U, Pikmin 3, and Bayonetta 2.

I'm curious to know which games you enjoyed the most this year?

And OP, for the price and since you have a 5+ games you want list, it seems to me there is no reason to hesitate (add DK to your list too).

emb

If you have to ask, then yes.

Though the decision really has more to do with your financial situation. Obviously you kind of want it, but it depends on what you can afford and what you want to do with the money otherwise.

Chû Totoro;139217938 said:
I'm curious to know which games you enjoyed the most this year?
Most of these will probably make it to my GOTY list this year.
  • The Banner Saga
  • The Blackwell Epiphany
  • Destiny
  • Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft
  • Legend of Grimrock 2
  • Might & Magic X: Legacy
  • Monument Valley
  • Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth
  • Shin Megami Tensei IV
  • Threes!

Amory

There's definitely games I want to play on Wii U, but out of principle it's hard to justify buying one until Nintendo drops the price. We're seeing Black Friday bundles where the cost of a PS4 or X1 is basically the same as the cost of a Wii U. It's getting ridiculous.

TDLink

There's definitely games I want to play on Wii U, but out of principle it's hard to justify buying one until Nintendo drops the price. We're seeing Black Friday bundles where the cost of a PS4 or X1 is basically the same as the cost of a Wii U. It's getting ridiculous.

Nintendo has been selling Wii Us directly for $200 for months now.

JaseMath

It gets a bad rap, but in truth, Wii U is easily my most played current gen system. It's a worthy purchase, OP.

Usobuko

Banned
Do you like the future line up of Splatoon, Xenoblade, Zelda, Kirby and Fatal Frame etc. as well? If so, go for it.

Renzoku

Banned
Get one. There's plenty of good exclusives on the system by now, and there's several more on the way almost guaranteed to be good/fun.

Peltz

I play my Wii U more than any other current gen system including handhelds. There is some spectacular content on it. Pikmin 3 is particularly special.

The opinion here will likely be yes here but since you don't seem to like Nintendo games it seems I wouldn't recommend it at all, mine gets very little use as it really is only a console for playing Nintendo games (with the exception of bayonetta/wonderful 101) and most of those games offer very little in terms of replay ability unless your into getting 100%.

I own one and it barely gets used outside of playing Nintendo games with my kids. I have no interest in bayonetta 2.

However if you do decide to get one I strongly encourage you to pick up DK:TF as it's the systems most overlooked and possibly best game.

Mesoian

I've been toying with this one since Bayonetta 2's release and really want to play it but obviously I am not buying a console for the sake of one game.

Looking through the lineup a few do interest me:
NSMBU
Captain Toad
W101
Bayonetta 2
ZombiU
3D World
(Not interested in Mario Kart, Smash or Zelda)

The reason I doubt it though is I had a 3DS before and wasn't very impressed tbh with the games I played; the big one being that I didn't even feel that 3D Land was the best platformer that year for me (Rayman Legends).

Anyone with a WiiU who likes it but wasn't impress with the 3DS?

Of those 6 games listed, I can assure you that 3 of theme are definitely worth your time and money. For me, 3 excellent exclusive games was what it took for me to buy a WiiU. If it's enough for you, go for it.

Also check out Pikmin 3, it's excellent. There's a free demo now apparently.

ozfunghi

No man, I'd wait until Nintendo delivers it to your door for free and throws in 3 or four games.

Pikmin3
Bayo1/Bayo2
W101
Monster Hunter
Lego City Stories
NSMBU
NSLU
Super Mario 3D World
Mario Kart
Smash Bros
Earthbound
Windwaker
Zelda2015
XenobladeX
Splatoon
Fucking Donkey Kong
ZombiU
Captain Toad
Yoshi's Wooly World
Kirby U
Starfox
Full Wii compatibility
Off-TV play
Best console browser experience

Nah, OP. Don't do it.

Timeaisis

3D World >>> 3D Land.

So if you are hesitant about that, don't be. You've got 6 or 7 games listed there, I'd say that's very much worth it.

Einbroch

Banned
This is an impossible question.

Think about your time and money. Could you do anything better with that time and money? Then don't do it. Do you think you couldn't? Then do it. We can't answer how much you value your time, money, and what your interests are.

You're going to get a lot of Nintendo fans saying DO IT and a lot of people who aren't saying DON'T DO IT.

These threads baffle me. Not meant to insult you or anything, just...we're random people on the internet. We don't know shit!

Do you have a PS4/XBONE/PC and like Nintendo games, with the ocasional third party exclusive? Can you afford it? If yes on both, I can't think of any reason not to do it. Personally I love it, it reminds me so much of the Gamecube.

As I always say in these threads... if you're interested, buy it. Only you know if it's worth it for you.

That said, I loathe my 3ds and it has confirmed that I have almost zero interest in first party titles these days. As such, I'm interested in all of 3 games on the platform, so I won't be buying one anytime soon... unless one of these $60 deals pops up where I can order online.

Lé Blade Runner;139238161 said:
You are not interested in Smash? Wha... Why... How? I really don't know how to respond to you. :(

I'm not either. As far as I'm concerned, smash is trash. :p

Yes Boss!

Most of these will probably make it to my GOTY list this year.
  • The Banner Saga
  • The Blackwell Epiphany
  • Destiny
  • Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft
  • Legend of Grimrock 2
  • Might & Magic X: Legacy
  • Monument Valley
  • Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth
  • Shin Megami Tensei IV
  • Threes!

Based on that list it is obvious why the system does not do much for you. The hottest thing for it this year is Captain Toad.

I'm in the same boat. I want one, but my thing is that I just need a good time to get one. Black Friday deals are okay, but I'd rather use that money for other things.

vg260

Hold off for Nintendo to offer some sort of promotion to make the purchase more attractive like Sony and MS are doing. I feel like Nintendo is still asking a premium price for this system, which seems presumptuous considering their position.

Skilletor

Lé Blade Runner;139238161 said:
You are not interested in Smash? Wha... Why... How? I really don't know how to respond to you. :(

I don't like or care about smash. Only reason it's even on my radar is for my kid.

To OP:

You've got 7 or 8 games on that list, and they're all damn good. If that's not enough to get you to buy a console, I don't know what would be.

I've been toying with this one since Bayonetta 2's release and really want to play it but obviously I am not buying a console for the sake of one game.

Looking through the lineup a few do interest me:
NSMBU
Captain Toad
W101
Bayonetta 2
ZombiU
3D World
(Not interested in Mario Kart, Smash or Zelda)

The reason I doubt it though is I had a 3DS before and wasn't very impressed tbh with the games I played; the big one being that I didn't even feel that 3D Land was the best platformer that year for me (Rayman Legends).

Anyone with a WiiU who likes it but wasn't impress with the 3DS?

Zombi U is overrrated, a mediocre experience all around.

So we are left with a handful of games on your list that probably still makes it a worthwhile experience. But to be honest, not being interested on the remainder big titles, mean you probably should wait until it gets cheaper.

Given the fact that you're already interested in 6 games, I'm surprised that you haven't already bought one. If that's not enough, there's great stuff on the eshop as well like Shovel Knight and the virtual console library.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
If you're not interested in Mario Kart, Smash or Zelda then I'd say don't get one.

Mario Kart is pretty awesome. The new Zelda will be stellar.

Pizza

if you're someone who wont mind a couple months between each (fantastic) game, then yeah! I'd absolutely jump on. I've been into each exclusive so the gap is real good for enjoying each game

If you already have a capable PC or another current gen console then yes, otherwise LOL no and just wait for a price drop. That list of games will be all you have to play for a very long time.

SalvaPot

Get it, if you regret it you can just sell it to someone else on GAF.

But I'm sure you won't regret it, even if you are out of First party games there is always a lot of new/fun indie games on the Wii U, it is worth the purchase if you have the temptation to buy it.

Top Bottom