• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K Gaf, do I get a WiiU or not?

Given the fact that you're already interested in 6 games, I'm surprised that you haven't already bought one. If that's not enough, there's great stuff on the eshop as well like Shovel Knight and the virtual console library.

He already has a 3DS if he wants to play Shovel Knight.

Also VC is overpriced and he didn't pointed at it, so we have to guess he dosn't care.

3D World is a much, much better game than 3D Land. I was not impressed with the 3DS title but thoroughly enjoyed 3D World enough to play through it multiple times.

It is probably my favorite 3D Mario title. I never finished Galaxy and found that the waggle controls were a turn off.

The Wii U is a fun system. If those games interest you then go for it by picking up the $200 refurb. It's up to you to justify the purchase or not, and that all comes down to your taste. Like for me, Smash, Mario Kart, and Zelda are all valuable exclusives but I have no interest in Bayonetta.

Pikmin 3 is another title that I had fun with. It was my first Pikmin game too. Like a lot of Nintendo IPs, it is charming and well polished with its primary emphasis on gameplay. Play it with the Wiimote and Nunchuk though, which you can also buy refurbished from Nintendo for something like $20-30.

I say go for it. Wii U compliments my PC better than the other consoles.

ghibli99

Hu3JPPv.jpg

I'm very happy with the offerings on the system, and I do like the Wii U more than the 3DS at this point. This pic doesn't even take into account what I have digitally, like Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, NES Remix 1 & 2, 1001 Spikes, etc.

Wavebossa

Hu3JPPv.jpg

I'm very happy with the offerings on the system, and I do like the Wii U more than the 3DS at this point. This pic doesn't even take into account what I have digitally, like Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, NES Remix 1 & 2, 1001 Spikes, etc.

Lol exactly my Wii U game library (minus Bayo2 - 3cheesy5me). Nice taste

Taigerr

Got mine 2 weeks ago haven't looked back..... I never had this much fun on PS3 or Vita. Now can't wait for the N3DS.

Wii U is the George McFly of consoles, packs a surprise punch when it counts and gets the gurl.

Lunar15

I didn't see Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze on that list.

Add that to the list and it's definitely a buy. DK, Bayo 1+2, and W101 are reasons alone to justify the purchase if you don't want MK or Smash. (Not sure why though?)

2015 looks pretty great too. Splatoon and Kirby & The Rainbow Curse seem like pretty great stuff in the first half. Xenoblade coming down the pipeline at some point too.

I'd only NOT recommend a system if you were only interested in less than two games and it seemed like the console had no support coming in the future. Wii U doesn't seem to be that case. If there's three or more existing titles that you want and the future looks interesting to you, I'd say go for it.

when it's 99.99 yes. just like gamecube and wii. no reason to pay so much for a console that is really only good for a handful of games like zelda and xenoblade

Ludist210

I enjoy mine. It's the only current gen system that I own. Backwards compatible with the Wii and has a robust library of VC and indie/eShop games. YMMV, but I really, really like mine.
Wii U is the George McFly of consoles, packs a surprise punch when it counts and gets the gurl.
We're talking about Bayonetta, right?

It's really weird to recommend a Wii U to a person who has no interest in Mario Kart, Smash and Zelda, but the games you listed are pretty good, so I'd say go for it.

Also, I'm an ex-3DS owner. I found the 3DS mildly fun, but I sold it after a few months because I got bored and because Wii U's awesomeness was taking up all of my gaming time.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I got my Wii U at launch and I'm not very impressed with it. There is nothing wrong with the first-party output except for the overall lack of innovation. NSMBU is a great 2D Mario game, but if you have already played Super Mario Bros. 3 (or one of the many other sequels) then you aren't missing out on anything. The same goes for Mario Kart 8, Wii Fit U, Pikmin 3, and Bayonetta 2.

hmm

antitrop

Bayonetta 1 + 2, The Wonderful 101, and DKC: Tropical Freeze completely justified my Wii U purchase.

Donkey Kong absolutely blew my expectations away with how good it actually is.

ramparter

Banned
Super Mario 3D World is better than 3D Land, although not that different. But if you liked Rayman Legends you will probably love Tropical Freeze.

Bayonetta 1 + 2, The Wonderful 101, and DKC: Tropical Freeze completely justified my Wii U purchase.

Donkey Kong absolutely blew my expectations away with how good it actually is.

I knew you'd like Tropical Freeze, I'm not even that much into 2d games these days and it still blew my fucking mind.

GoaThief

I got my Wii U at launch and I'm not very impressed with it. There is nothing wrong with the first-party output except for the overall lack of innovation. NSMBU is a great 2D Mario game, but if you have already played Super Mario Bros. 3 (or one of the many other sequels) then you aren't missing out on anything. The same goes for Mario Kart 8, Wii Fit U, Pikmin 3, and Bayonetta 2.
This sums it up for me quite well, I'd seriously consider other console options before taking the plunge.

Out of the three current gen crop and PC, the Wii U has been least used in my household and has a the least interesting titles for me.

Mesoian

I knew you'd like Tropical Freeze, I'm not even that much into 2d games these days and it still blew my fucking mind.

The only thing I don't like about DKCR and DKCTF is the animation delay on certain moves that keeps you from chaining rolling jumps or rolling jumps into secondary abilities. You could do it in the original DKC and DKC2, and it slows me way down in these games.

But yeah, they're great.

BDGAME

I've been toying with this one since Bayonetta 2's release and really want to play it but obviously I am not buying a console for the sake of one game.

Looking through the lineup a few do interest me:
NSMBU
Captain Toad
W101
Bayonetta 2
ZombiU
3D World
(Not interested in Mario Kart, Smash or Zelda)

The reason I doubt it though is I had a 3DS before and wasn't very impressed tbh with the games I played; the big one being that I didn't even feel that 3D Land was the best platformer that year for me (Rayman Legends).

Anyone with a WiiU who likes it but wasn't impress with the 3DS?

I have a couple of friends that don't like Mario 3D land, but they like a lot of Mario 3D world.

If you already have so many games you want to play, I believe it's a good idea to buy one.

fred

Now is a great time to buy a Wii U. You've listed enough games there to warrant buying one, and you also have Wii backwards compatibility and a very impressive eShop including a shitload of VC titles and indie titles that are worth every penny.

nope. you can use the gamepad as a screen but you have to use a wiimote + nunchuck to control the game.

Worth telling him that this goes for games that could be controlled via a traditional controller too. For whatever bizarre reason :(

Also to the OP, yeah. I'm literally waiting to see if there's a decent deal on Black Friday, and if not, making the jump. It's the right time.

phanphare

Banned
Also for Mario Galaxy 2?

yep. any game you play in wiimode has to be controlled with whatever it used on the wii. going into wiimode essentially makes your console a wii until you back out of it.

Worth telling him that this goes for games that could be controlled via a traditional controller too. For whatever bizarre reason :(

Also to the OP, yeah. I'm literally waiting to see if there's a decent deal on Black Friday, and if not, making the jump. It's the right time.

I was getting there! ;)

also, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the reason because they'd have to update the Wii's OS to be able to recognize newer controllers? and the Wii's OS got its updates by disc? I might have that wrong though.

King_Moc

Banned
I'm pretty biased, but i'd say get one. Sure, most of the good software on it comes from a fairly small number of developers, but it's still pretty varied. And it's got more high quality software than the competition for the time being. Also, if you never had a Wii, you get access to all of that. So make sure to try and get hold of the likes of Xenoblade, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Mario Galaxy etc.

Hey, that's a lot of games that you're interested in- I'd say go for it!

Also, did you try some other 3ds games instead of 3d land? That console has tons.

Anyways, just to see if you're interested in what the Wii U has to offer in the future or not, here are some games that are announced but yet to be released:

- Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
- Mario Maker
- The Legend of Zelda U
- Xenoblade Chronicles X
- Splatoon (this one looks amazing!)
- Yoshi's Wooly World
- Devil's Third
- Starfox U
- Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
- Pokken Tournament
- Mario Part 10
- NES Remix Pack
- Fire Emblem X Shin Megami Tensei
- (maybe) Rodea The Sky Soldier
- (maybe) Fatal Frame V

I'd say no. Considering the games you're not a fan of are generally the main "selling points" of the console, I'd say it's too much to invest for something lackluster.

NooM

Banned
I had a 3DS and enjoyed Mario Kart 7 but was not impressed overall with most games nor 3D Land so i gave it away. Completely renovated experience on the Wii U and love the system. Get it!

wouwie

Lately, i've been thinking about buying a WiiU. I love platform games so i was wondering how many and which games are worth buying on WiiU? One example of a game i'd love to play is Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze.

soy.

Banned
How many threads exactly like this do we need before people just realize its worth it
aside from the countless "should i get a wiiu?", we shouldn't forget the everlasting answers of "people should get a wiiu" threads

get a godam wiiu, u basterds. get it now

Marceles

I've been toying with this one since Bayonetta 2's release and really want to play it but obviously I am not buying a console for the sake of one game.

NSMBU
Captain Toad
W101
Bayonetta 2
ZombiU
3D World

The reason I doubt it though is I had a 3DS before and wasn't very impressed tbh with the games I played; the big one being that I didn't even feel that 3D Land was the best platformer that year for me (Rayman Legends).

I'll tell you this right now, if you own a PS3/360/PS4/Xbone...if there's a day you don't feel like playing any of those systems, you'll most likely be in the mood to play Wii U. It's a really, really good complimentary console.

HyperOne

Banned
If you are going to get one, know that you are likely making a short term investment. A good short term investment, but short term nonetheless.

zlatko

Banned
I'm in the same boat. Instead of making another thread I'll visit GAF opinion on this same subject.

I unfortunately won't have funds for black friday. My next pay is early December, and that's when I can make the plunge for X1 or Wii U as my gift to myself.

X1:

*Halo MCC (Broken...I don't know that I can wait forever for it to work. Main reason I want X1, BUT Halo 5 beta should theoretically work, so, still a good purchase...)

*Eventual Gears of War

*Killer Instict...although skeptical since I only play fighters with an arcade stick. How good are the controls for a controller to do combos in this game?

Wii U:

*Smash Bros. (Fighting game that is designed for controller. Great reviews. Lots of hype. Amazing roster. Online that works out of the box? Oh boy!)

*Eventual Zelda

*Bayonetta 2

*Xenoblade X

*Nothing else interests me after these titles though... there's nothing in the future I could see myself jumping at, or that's on the console now. Maybe Metroid depending on how they go about it?

-----------------

Neither of the two boxes make me jump to have right now. I have a PS4 and PC...The XB1 is a harder pill to swallow in its current state for the library. Neither one's library for next year are enticing except Halo 5 on X1.

Wait? Get a 3DS?

NSMBU
Captain Toad
W101
Bayonetta 2
ZombiU
3D World

where the hell is Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze on that list?

It's the best platformer ever made.

when it's 99.99 yes. just like gamecube and wii. no reason to pay so much for a console that is really only good for a handful of games like zelda and xenoblade

I.............................................................................................................................................what?

AzaK

I have a Wii U and really all that matters is if there's enough games you like on it to warrant a purchase.

We all know some really good Nintendo games are on it but what's good to me isn't necessarily good to you. The Wii U has maybe 2-3 good games on it that fit my taste so it's been a waste of money for me for the most part, but YMMV.

If you're after an interesting console, the Wii U is NOT that IMO but if you want to play XXXX Nintendo game, well it might be.

Just few words for you: Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
Just an image for you:
DKC5_box_art.jpg

DKCFanOpinion: Solely this game would pay for the whole Wii U price!

Top Bottom