• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT4| Most Lurkers on GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

giri

Plus Melbourne just has a way more active arts/music scene, better outdoors dining and is little bit more of a dense city which makes it...

You do realise though that melbourne stole brisbanes GOMA director, offering 2x the salary, for the soul reason that brisbane has over taken melbourne as far as arts/dance scenes are concerned?

It's a very under-reported thing, but brisbane is set to build a second QPAC because of the sheer volume of shows trying to get into the state.

giri

also

new apink is terrible.

Way to regress.

So is the new jewelry.

but Jewelry usually have better sons on their mini than the one promoted anyway.

dokish

Banned
Damn, Way is beautiful. I truly wish that I can be with someone who looks and behaves (?) like her. Even Choa it's not good enough.

I have a full 4gb card and my battery is running out, so maybe I will upload stuff tomorrow (like GAF cares).

Damn, they are all so beautiful. Ellin is freaking gorgeous.

luso

Title track only, Jewlry's is better than Apink's.

soshi update.

tumblr_mphs6pONgi1qdywcco1_250.gif

tumblr_mpho84X6eC1qhy8f9o3_r1_250.gif

tumblr_mpikrqGtNy1ryot7ro1_500.jpg

tumblr_mpio8x8aau1ryot7ro1_500.jpg

tumblr_mpioaeLJqT1rp2chco1_500.jpg

ramyeon

You do realise though that melbourne stole brisbanes GOMA director, offering 2x the salary, for the soul reason that brisbane has over taken melbourne as far as arts/dance scenes are concerned?

It's a very under-reported thing, but brisbane is set to build a second QPAC because of the sheer volume of shows trying to get into the state.
I'm talking more about independent designers and musicians. There's just more going on down there in that field. GoMA is probably the best thing in Brisbane, but I was unable to find anything in the media regarding a second QPAC being considered. But I get it man, you prefer Brisbane. I'm not out to convince you otherwise but for me Melbourne is hands down the more interesting city.
also

new apink is terrible.

Way to regress.

So is the new jewelry.

but Jewelry usually have better sons on their mini than the one promoted anyway.
I can't see how NoNoNo can be a regression considering their last single.

Jewelry hasn't really done anything interesting since the complete member change, no expectations there from me besides Yewon being cute.

giri

I'm talking more about independent designers and musicians. There's just more going on down there in that field. GoMA is probably the best thing in Brisbane, but I was unable to find anything in the media regarding a second QPAC being considered. But I get it man, you prefer Brisbane. I'm not out to convince you otherwise but for me Melbourne is hands down the more interesting city.

Jewelry hasn't really done anything interesting since the complete member change, no expectations there from me besides Yewon being cute.

NoNoNo is far worse than their last single.

And jewelry's last mini was good top to bottom. but they promoted the wrong song. Party Rebel > Look at Me.

Haven't listened to their whole mini, but this new song is blah. It's rookie bad. it's so bad, if they were rookies, they'd get completely ignored.

TBH, it's much like A-Pinks comeback. Both are very disappointing.

Heck i was just listening to the last full jewelry LP earlier today.

Best girl group of 2013 to date has been girls day. Didn't see that happening.

Peru

Fuck a 'Girl's Day', it's like when Katy Perry suddenly got a #1 streak on Billboard - are we this starved that bores with no personality or reason to exist can become top tier?

giri

Fuck a 'Girl's Day', it's like when Katy Perry suddenly got a #1 streak on Billboard - are we this starved that bores with no personality or reason to exist can become top tier?

Whine all you want, expectation is a really great song.

And female president is a solid follow up.

With the amount of dissapointing come backs... july has a lot left to follow though. And august too.

ramyeon

NoNoNo is a step back in the right direction for A Pink imo. And I would be surprised if it didn't perform better than Hush.

Girl's Day bore me. Expectation was decent but Female President was really bad imo.

I don't even listen to much idol music these days but I'd be hard pressed to call them the best thing this year, even though there hasn't been a whole lot of competition.

Kyon

Banned

:OOOOOOOOOOOOO

Female President is one of my favorite songs and best songs this year *O*

Whine all you want, expectation is a really great song.

And female president is a solid follow up.

You got it backwards. Expectation is a great song, but Female President stomps over it.

The chorus and "tararara" part is one of the catchiest things I've heard all year.

But, that statement about A-Pink? Lol no.

You're comparing apples to oranges here. FP is all about that fierce Beyonce type shit and NNN is a throwback to the "fairy" days of k-pop. Both songs are supposed to co-exist and if you're comparing both of them, you're totally missing the point.

That said, I agree that this year has been shitty for girl groups, and maybe even kpop in general.

I agree. Considering BuBiBu and Hush, NNN is definitely a step in the right direction. I think ACube lost the plot last year when they brought out Une Anee. They tried to make Apinkeu into a sexy girl group like every other girl group in existence and that just wasn't gonna work. No one in A-Pink is sexy. Hell, awkward Seobby is much more sexier than all of A-Pink combined.

A-Pink's charm comes from the fact that they feel like a throwback group and that's where they should stay. Screw trying to be sexy and shit. As long as they can keep bringing out good music and not lose that charm, I'll keep being a fan.

Helmets?

LOL.

Hellix

I tuned into a League of Legends competition stream just to watch the K-Pop vids being streamed after each match.

I did that for SC2 once. I just can't get into that game, while there are other RTS games that interest me more. I have yet to get into a MOBA game but the communities seem pretty hardcore and not really newcomer friendly.

(._.)

Banned
crayon pop wears the worst outfits ever god are they trying to dress these girls in athletic wear from walmart on purpose?

(._.)

Banned
ibrEjqZgeJmxvZ.gif

bomi ♥

tushy swaying

my tumblr keeps gaining followers and I don't even gif that much anymore o_O

Imma do some today

(._.)

Banned
Anybody know of a script or something you can add to your tumblr so people have to click on the gif to get it to play? kind of like when you're on mobile?

ramyeon

You're comparing apples to oranges here. FP is all about that fierce Beyonce type shit and NNN is a throwback to the "fairy" days of k-pop. Both songs are supposed to co-exist and if you're comparing both of them, you're totally missing the point.

I agree. Considering BuBiBu and Hush, NNN is definitely a step in the right direction. I think ACube lost the plot last year when they brought out Une Anee. They tried to make Apinkeu into a sexy girl group like every other girl group in existence and that just wasn't gonna work. No one in A-Pink is sexy. Hell, awkward Seobby is much more sexier than all of A-Pink combined.

A-Pink's charm comes from the fact that they feel like a throwback group and that's where they should stay. Screw trying to be sexy and shit.
I can't share your sentiments about Girl's Day, but A Pink you're spot on. I like A Pink because they remind me of FinKL and SES type groups, their songs have a 90s kpop charm and their concepts go along with that. It's not about being as sexy as possible but it's cute fun and simple. It works like that.

Hush was generic, boring and disappointing. It was just like recent kpop and that was the issue with it. I'm glad they got back on track with NoNoNo, I'd like to think this means A Cube realise their mistake.

giri

You got it backwards. Expectation is a great song, but Female President stomps over it.

The chorus and "tararara" part is one of the catchiest things I've heard all year.

But, that statement about A-Pink? Lol no.

That said, I agree that this year has been shitty for girl groups, and maybe even kpop in general.

A-Pink's charm comes from the fact that they feel like a throwback group and that's where they should stay. Screw trying to be sexy and shit. As long as they can keep bringing out good music and not lose that charm, I'll keep being a fan.
Most of A-Pinks earlier albums have more in common with Unne Anne than they do this.

And Unne Anne was a great album. poopypoo was solid. Was the first time i remember people actually anticipating a A-pink return and it doing better than expected.

Most of their other songs end up getting more upbeat and uptempo with stronger beats coming through.

I get the concept, i just think it's a pretty average to below average song and very forgetable.

Maybe this will grow on me? But i had to actually see who was singing it to ID who they were, there was little flavor to it straight up. If i didn't notice it was a-pink i would have gone on to other stuff.

They compete in the same market. They get ranked. Whether the styles are opposite or not is sort of irrelevant. Not that i compared them.

Should be noted, i find the fairy concept relatively limiting as an experience and is entirely not my thing.

I did that for SC2 once. I just can't get into that game, while there are other RTS games that interest me more. I have yet to get into a MOBA game but the communities seem pretty hardcore and not really newcomer friendly.

Sc2 is hard to get into, but once you do, you get sort of addicted to it. Was easier in the past than it is now though, thanks to the WCS shenanigans.

Tenck

I have yet to get into a MOBA game but the communities seem pretty hardcore and not really newcomer friendly.

You can say that again. After 2200 hours of Dota 2, I can say without a doubt that the community is shit unless you party up with people. And even then I wouldn't recommend doing it without at least three others.

On the bright side though, you can ignore people like that if you want and just make the most out of your time with MOBAs.

ramyeon

This is a really good interview with Sohee from 10asia.

jbrTsrWtp3Xq4J.jpg

It has already been six years since the Wonder Girls came into this world. During that time, they became a top K-pop group, turned into adults, took up an unforgettable challenge in the U.S., and leader Sun got married. No girl group has gone through as much as they have. But despite the changes they have experienced, Sohee has stayed the same. She is still pretty and took responsibility for choosing to pursue singing, dancing and acting over ordinary school life. She is now preparing to take her next step as an actress. Below is TenAsia’s dialogue with her through which you can find hints to where she may be headed next.

j15QqkKOizYh7.jpg

“Acting goes down to what I do with my role”

I think I still feel awkward on variety shows. Of course it’s fun to be on them. But… things just move so quickly sometimes that my mind goes blank (laughs). But I’ve always liked and been interested in acting. Even when I auditioned for JYP, I did singing, dancing and acting. Hence I had dreamed of pursuing both singing and acting. Acting is… a lot of fun. I get to express characters that may be similar or different from me. When I’m on stage as a member of Wonder Girls, I show the audience the singing and dancing that’s been set in advance and express what I want to within those boundaries. But acting goes down to what I do with my role so I think that’s the fun thing about it. I’m not at the stage where I can tell you that I’ve chosen a role but I’m definitely looking hard.

“I was too young to be scared while filming ‘Hellcats’”

I actually don’t have a lot of experience acting. I’ve done three movies – a short film, “Hellcats” in 2007, and “The Wonder Girls” that my group shot all together, so I really want to do more. I still watch “Hellcats” from time to time these days. And I was 15 when I shot it but I think I tried my best to understand the character, and quite boldly as well because I was too young to be scared back then (laughs). I remember when actress Lee Mi-sook corrected my acting. In the movie, I played Kang-ae who is the daughter of Lee’s character and there was a scene where I was supposed to talk as if scolding the mother. But I talked too softly so she said, “You! You shouldn’t talk like that there!” (laughs) I’m a soft speaker so I think I talked too quietly then as well. So it was fun getting to let out my voice like that for acting.

“It’s sad that I missed out on school life”

I do want to act but I want to try playing all sorts of characters rather than a certain one. I think it’s because I don’t have much experience. I’m open (when it comes to possibilities). Oh, I can’t watch horror films. So I’m interested in everything except that genre. I imitate everything that’s in the films I watch (laughs) and think about them. But if I had to choose a role, it would be a student. I want to play a role that fits my age, which would be a student. I think I’d be good at expressing a character of my age. But I debuted when I was young so I didn’t get that many opportunities to wear a school uniform or go to school. It’s sad that I missed out on school life. So I think I’d also get to come in contact with and learn things I hadn’t been able to before.

jba2hhodPmgIuL.jpg

“I become loud when I watch a fun movie”

I like watching movies. And I become loud when I watch a fun movie (laughs). I also go to the movies a lot because I try to watch even the movies that premiere. I watched “Les Miserables” this time and it was fun. I’d never considered musical films before but I really want to be in one after watching this movie. I liked Anne Hathaway’s character in particular. I was amazed at how well she pulled it off because it couldn’t have been easy for her to decide to take the role. I want to try playing a unique and tragic character as well, rather than one where I try to look pretty.

“I cried a lot watching ‘Cherry Blossoms – Hanami’”

I usually receive recommendations for films or find them myself. If I like a movie, I usually look up things about that movie or other projects done by its director or cast. I’ve probably watched all of Stanley Kubrick’s films as well because I was originally recommended “A Clockwork Orange” which I loved. He paid attention to not just the actors and story but each and every small detail as well. From the wardrobe to props to music, everything heightened each scene so I think it moved me even more. The movie was made a long time ago but I like that it doesn’t seem old. There was also a time that I got tired of Hollywood movies so I looked up German and Italian movies. And that’s when I came across “Cherry Blossoms – Hanami” by director Doris Dorrie. It’s about an old couple and I cried a lot watching it. I don’t know why though (laughs). It just left a strong impression.

“It’s fun finding movies I want to watch that day”

I mostly watch films at home by myself. I’ve always liked watching them by myself. It’s comfortable. And I probably watched a lot of movies when I first went to the U.S. because I needed to adjust. But I don’t get bored or lonely. I like being alone. I have fun. I’m with a lot of people when I work so I try to be by myself when I’m home. I think I need time alone. And it’s fun finding movies I want to watch that day. That’s how I find music as well. I really like English band New Order these days. The instruments they use are great and they mostly use a synthesizer but make music with it that is unpredictable. I’d like to try doing such music if I got the chance to.

jbvxaGrlTdVZAW.jpg

“Each and every small thing is more important”

I pay a lot of attention to details (laughs). I’m not a perfectionist but I think each and every small thing is more important. I think I’ve also been influenced a lot by films and music because I watch and listen to them a lot. I’ve come to want to express more and there are several types of characters I want to try playing. There’s something that’s accumulated within me from watching a lot and learning a lot. So I’d like to express a lot of that if I get the opportunity to. I’m not expressive through words but I tend to be more active on stage or on screen. And I think I express myself more honestly that way. I don’t think too much even when I have photo shoots. I just express whatever I feel that day. I think that having too many thoughts rather gets in the way. I just go with what I feel.

“I try my best not to change”

When I see people my age go to school, I envy them. But they are very stressed as well in their own ways. So it made me wonder, ‘Would I have been able to handle it?’ (laughs) It’s sad that I didn’t get to experience school life… but I don’t regret it. Because more than anything, it was my choice. During the time that everyone else studied in school, I chose what I wanted to do and learned much doing that. I learned a lot while I was in the U.S. as well. I guess I’m just the type that doesn’t compare myself with others that much. And I try my best not to change. When I compare myself from the past to now, I just… I think I just like being myself. I like Wonder Girls’ Sohee and actress Sohee, but as myself An Sohee the best.

“I want to learn ballet”

As of now, my goal is to do various kinds of acting. And if I like something, I’m the type that does it right away. But I think of acting so much these days that I think it can be stressful at times. I also think I need to pay more attention to the people around me. The work I do always involves a lot of people, including the staff. So I’ve tried to take better care of them but I think I need to try harder because I’m not the mature type (laughs). And I want to learn ballet! I want a hobby. Something that is active. I came up with ballet after thinking of what would be exercise, heal me, and be fun as well. I don’t have good posture but I heard ballet helps with it so I really want to try it out.
Girl is perfect. Kubrick, A Clockwork Orange and New Order. Flawless taste.

dokish

Banned
You guys just don't get Crayon Pop. It's not because they are poor, but because this is their concept. If Chrome Entertainment somehow make a lot of money, Crayon Pop will still be Crayon Pop. You won't see SNSD level of production.

They have a truly unique and cute/charming concept. Which is different from Secret, who are all hot, wearing flower dresses and summer hats.

The CP fan base is FUCKING awesome and they scream really loud. You see people wearing Crayon's tracksuit jacket in there.

I really don't get the complaints. Is anyone here actually enjoying K Pop because of the high production value? If some group have it, it's just a plus. They have enough charisma to keep going, unlike SNSD without all the fancy shit. Who here ACTUALLY likes all 9 members equally?

giri

You guys just don't get Crayon Pop. It's not because they are poor, but because this is their concept. If Chrome Entertainment somehow make a lot of money, Crayon Pop will still be Crayon Pop. You won't see SNSD level of production.

They have a truly unique and cute/charming concept. Which is different from Secret, who are all hot, wearing flower dresses and summer hats.

The CP fan base is FUCKING awesome and they scream really loud. You see people wearing Crayon's tracksuit jacket in there.

I really don't get the complaints. Is anyone here actually enjoying K Pop because of the high production value? If some group have it, it's just a plus. They have enough charisma to keep going, unlike SNSD without all the fancy shit. Who here ACTUALLY likes all 9 members equally?
Uhhh

Most people love soshi for their variety show appearances. You may be heading down the wrong path here.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Sohee is so fucking cool. Whenever you see something of her saying anything of herself or what she thinks about stuff or what she likes or how she responds to people's issues with her she's just so fucking cool.

neoism

Its not really possible. I do love the group and there music, but all of them are so different, they're all hot in there own way but I will admit if Tae or Fany wasn't in the group I would be 100% less interested. Still the track suit shit is getting ridiculous at this point....

dokish

Banned
Uhhh

Most people love soshi for their variety show appearances. You may be heading down the wrong path here.

Exactly. We don‘t like them because they are "SNSD", as a whole. We laught at stupid - staged - things they do in variety shows, but that's it. I love the Youtube cuts of Sooyoung, but me liking her ends in those videos, I don't care about her, that's what I'm trying to say.

They are so many that you can't really think that each of them is responsible for "glueing" the group together, and plays a major role. Honestly, I love Sunny, but just TaeTiSeo are enough for any kind of success (despite their shitty songs together).

Also, SNSD is in such a high position that I feel that they can't really "loose focus" on conversation. They are always hiding themselves. Could we stand a "SNSD TV" like Crayon Pop does? They are just not that kind of group. They are so famous, that you can't feel connected with them, everything is about their public image.

I mean, Yoo Inna has this everyday radio show, and you can freaking send her messages and speak live with her. You have other artists that are just "normal people", and they are extra charismatic exactly because of that. If you watch Heroes or that historical Drama, youl'll know that Yoo Inna is exactly like that. What can we say about SNSD? Do we trully know them? And apart for the music scenario, are they really interesting people, in their everyday normal lives?

(Little sleep deprived, not even sure what I'm talking about. Sorry if that is any typing errors)

EDIT:

One of the Girl's Day videos that I shot.

http://youtu.be/OuLS3_BWGw8

EDIT 2: Damn, just take Sohee as an example. I couldn't care less about Wonder Girls, but everytime she opens her mounth, I'm interested to know what she is about to say.

Peru

Uh well Taeyeon had the same kind of radio host role as Inna and you could send her messages as well and she gave a lot of herself there.

Anywy you're right about Crayon Pop's appeal being the comedy and the sillyness and people seem to miss that. But you got a bit off track on the other stuff.

Quadratic

Was out at Karaoke tonight. The Girls' Day Expectation video played while my group was singing The Darkness - I Believe in a Thing Called Love. So random. And during a Bon Jovi song there was a video from SHINee playing.

ramyeon

Dokish man, you really need to size down those pictures before posting them. My laptop is having a mental breakdown trying to view this page lol.

giri

Exactly. We don‘t like them because they are "SNSD", as a whole. We laught at stupid - staged - things they do in variety shows, but that's it. I love the Youtube cuts of Sooyoung, but me liking her ends in those videos, I don't care about her, that's what I'm trying to say.

They are so many that you can't really think that each of them is responsible for "glueing" the group together, and plays a major role. Honestly, I love Sunny, but just TaeTiSeo are enough for any kind of success (despite their shitty songs together).

Also, SNSD is in such a high position that I feel that they can't really "loose focus" on conversation. They are always hiding themselves. Could we stand a "SNSD TV" like Crayon Pop does? They are just not that kind of group. They are so famous, that you can't feel connected with them, everything is about their public image.

I mean, Yoo Inna has this everyday radio show, and you can freaking send her messages and speak live with her. You have other artists that are just "normal people", and they are extra charismatic exactly because of that. If you watch Heroes or that historical Drama, youl'll know that Yoo Inna is exactly like that. What can we say about SNSD? Do we trully know them? And apart for the music scenario, are they really interesting people, in their everyday normal lives?

(Little sleep deprived, not even sure what I'm talking about. Sorry if that is any typing errors)

EDIT:

EDIT 2: Damn, just take Sohee as an example. I couldn't care less about Wonder Girls, but everytime she opens her mounth, I'm interested to know what she is about to say.

/me shrug

You're off the mark.

If you go watch all of stuff like Invincible Youth 1, yeah, they had handlers there, but there was too much personality. They each shone as themselves for the most.

There's many idols that let their inner self show on these shows. Suzy regularly let her inner weirdo show on IY2.

They all show just as much real personality as CP do. I mean, A-Pinkeu Newseu is another prime examples.

Fact is, CP aren't on their level because they just aren't as good a group.

They don't really do anything better at all than soshi. Other than be worse, that is. They're good at that.

neoism

EDIT:

isUgkgx6ZOOVu.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom