• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kain and Raziel playable in Guardian of Light.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
So wait, no voiceover from Simon Templeman? Am I reading this right?

Still great, tho.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
They're unlockable skins for BOTH console and PC. Those of you expecting different voices from Lara and the dude, are going to be sorely disappointed. When has a game with "hidden models/skins" had those characters be voiced fully?

ArjanN

Would be nice if the DLC also had voice-acting/cutscenes and not just these skins.

TheSeks said:
They're unlockable skins for BOTH console and PC. Those of you expecting different voices from Lara and the dude, are going to be sorely disappointed. When has a game with "hidden models/skins" had those characters be voiced fully?

Well, they're charging for them, so I kind of expect more than just a skin.

Bebpo

Banned
While it's cool to have these chars, am I the only one who thinks it's totally bogus that it's already on the disc only to be charged $$$ later to unlock it?

Whenever people hack games to discover that 25% of the content of the disc/downloaded file is sitting there finished but "locked" away for DLC payments, it's frankly embarrassing to the industry. It's the equivalent of a band releasing an album with 12 songs, but you can only read and play the first 6 tracks until you pay an additional $10 for the unlock key for the rest. Ridiculous.

Curufinwe

Bebpo said:
While it's cool to have these chars, am I the only one who thinks it's totally bogus that it's already on the disc only to be charged $$$ later to unlock it?

Whenever people hack games to discover that 25% of the content of the disc/downloaded file is sitting there finished but "locked" away for DLC payments, it's frankly embarrassing to the industry. It's the equivalent of a band releasing an album with 12 songs, but you can only read and play the first 6 tracks until you pay an additional $10 for the unlock key for the rest. Ridiculous.

What disc?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I want to believe the assets already in the PC version are placeholders. I really doubt they're going to charge to unlock Grinning Kain.

Bebpo

Banned
Curufinwe said:
What disc?

disc/file same thing. It'd be one thing if only the menu was there hinting toward the future dlc, but the fact the skins are already in the file and unlockable through hacking just makes it lame they're not only charging for them, but sitting and waiting on the unlock key for a while so it seems like they weren't included in the file off the bat.

Jocchan said:
I want to believe the assets already in the PC version are placeholders. I really doubt they're going to charge to unlock Grinning Kain.

Would be nice if they are and the actual pay ones are better models + voices.

kenta

Has no PEINS
This looks awesome, I probably would have played Guardian of Light by now if it had been a Soul Reaver game

For some reason I KNEW they were gonna put these two in the game. Now if Gex pops up, I'm gonna give Cleo a run for her money :lol

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Bebpo said:
Would be nice if they are and the actual pay ones are better models + voices.
The models seem to be the ones used in Defiance. This, Lara and Totec's original voices not getting at least turned off when using them and Kain's grin make me think it's very likely they're just placeholders.

EDIT: Also, Kain's cape is all screwed up. They're definitely placeholders.

Also, Grinning Kain avatar up for grabs:
3s6j1.jpg

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
That voice actually seems to fit Raziel's design pretty well, since has has that whole hourglass figure thing going on. :lol

Cels

Skins. Big deal.

Will they be higher quality models (than what we see in the video), with proper VA?
What's the pricing?
Is there any increased functionality? (Do they play exactly the same as if you were playing as Lara/Totec?)

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Jocchan said:
The models seem to be the ones used in Defiance. This, Lara and Totec's original voices not getting at least turned off when using them and Kain's grin make me think it's very likely they're just placeholders.

3s6j1.jpg
I'd love to take this!

Edit: And now I did.

Dascu

Jocchan said:

3s6j1.jpg
I'll take- ugh, too late.

Nakiro said:
Legacy of Kain HD Collection please...
I would slaughter an innocent lamb if it meant I could have LoK: Blood Omen that looked like that. I don't really care much about graphics at all, but trying to play it now is really hard since you don't know what anything is :lol

duckroll

If the DLC is the same as what is already "unlocked" here, I most definitely won't pay for it. If on the other hand this is a placeholder mode for future DLC support, and the DLC actually includes proper voices, alternate lines, and someone cool I'll definitely support it. We'll see.

Crystal Dynamics have asked on their Twitter feed which of the character packs should be given release priority.

(I think Joystiq's poll understands the correct way to answer this question).

duckroll said:
If the DLC is the same as what is already "unlocked" here, I most definitely won't pay for it. If on the other hand this is a placeholder mode for future DLC support, and the DLC actually includes proper voices, alternate lines, and someone cool I'll definitely support it. We'll see.

I'm thinking similar, as big a LOK fan that I am, paying for simple character skins is pushing it. But if they brought Michael Bell and Simon Templeman back into the studio, recorded some nice dialogue to match the action going on around them and animated it properly, I'd pay a premium DLC cost without hesitation.

Ryu

I second the motion for Soul Reaver 1/2 to be on Steam. After seeing this thread, it was the first thing I looked up and was immediately disappointed they weren't on there. Put them on Steam and give us MS pad support. I'd be real happy with that.

duckroll

Ryu said:
I second the motion for Soul Reaver 1/2 to be on Steam. After seeing this thread, it was the first thing I looked up and was immediately disappointed they weren't on there. Put them on Steam and give us MS pad support. I'd be real happy with that.

They should release a Legacy of Kain Collection. It'll only be 5 games. :p

I'd love a Steam release too.

A month a two ago, Legacy of Kain Anthology was released in Poland:

1184.jpg

A Steam bundle like that would be great.

Blood Omen is still my favourite in the series, but I can understand its exclusion as its an absolute nightmare running on Windows 7. It would be nice if they could include the PS1 original in an emulation wrapper but I'm sure that's a legal quagmire in itself.

Is there an international copy of that collection? I'll buy that if it's available...

duckroll said:
So it's missing Blood Omen?

Was it on PC?

Edit: Apparently it was, and man is that cover awful. Go playstation edition. :lol

matmanx1

Love me some Legacy of Kain games and Raziel is just about the best character ever. It's cool they are unlockable but man how cool would it be for them to have their own NEW game? I want it!!

ArjanN

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Was it on PC?

Edit: Apparently it was, and man is that cover awful. Go playstation edition. :lol

The Playstation version kinda sucked compared to the PC one though.

I wouldn't be suprised if they did do a Kain and Raziel game, maybe something smaller like Lara Croft GOL to test the waters.

Oh, and bring back Fear Effect while you're at it!

Keir_Eidos

Eidos Loves You
Dizzy-4U said:
Kain looks so happy in the last pic.

Doesn't he. I should say, the dude that h4x0r3d the game discovered a model that isn't the final one.

LordPhoque said:
So how do you unlock them ?

We are releasing some news about the character packs shortly.

gogojira said:
Kain's smile looks hilarious in the video, too.

Cool stuff, though it is odd with the whole voices thing. Is this an actual planned download pack? Maybe they'll do something about it before it releases.

The videos aren't representative of the actual character packs - there will be voice acting from the original Legacy of Kain and Kane and Lynch titles (the K&L version is so ridiculous it's actually hilarious).

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
I really hope we see a Blood Omen style game with the Tomb Raider XBLA engine with Kain and Raziel. Please Crystal Dynamics!!

duckroll

Keir_Eidos said:
The videos aren't representative of the actual character packs - there will be voice acting from the original Legacy of Kain and Kane and Lynch titles (the K&L version is so ridiculous it's actually hilarious).

Thank you so much! As long as effort is put into the character packs, I will be buying them. :)

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Keir_Eidos said:
So glad to hear this!

Keir_Eidos said:
I should say, the dude that h4x0r3d the game discovered a model that isn't the final one.
We are releasing some news about the character packs shortly.
:) thanks for taking the time to inform us, appreciated. Looking forward to the packs, though I'm leaning towards the Legacy of Kain one for now.

So! When are we getting hints of a new LoK project? (;

ArjanN

Keir_Eidos said:

Vae Victus.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Shikamaru Ninja said:
I really hope we see a Blood Omen style game with the Tomb Raider XBLA engine with Kain and Raziel. Please Crystal Dynamics!!
You know, Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light had me thinking for a while about digital distribution services possibly being a viable platform for a new Legacy of Kain. It would help keeping costs down, so maybe it would be greenlighted more easily.

FunkyPajamas said:
:) thanks for taking the time to inform us, appreciated. Looking forward to the packs, though I'm leaning towards the Legacy of Kain one for now.

So! When are we getting hints of a new LoK project? (;
Why is your head upside down? :O

Few things would make me happier than hints of a new LoK project.

ArjanN said:
Vae Victis.
Fixed.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Danneee said:
Wow, first time character packs makes me want to buy a game.
Same here. I have bought so much because of this franchise, from ridiculous action figures to a Backward Compatible PS3 just so I could have all the games on one console. I feel like such a tool. :lol

gogojira

Keir_Eidos said:

Well, count me in for a download then. Any plans on release? I still need to buy the game, but I'll probably just wait for the character pack to unlock before buying both.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Yeah this is the first time I'd ever consider buying DLC like this. Mainly to support anything LOK though. I miss it so :(

ArjanN

IPoopStandingUp said:
Same here. I have bought so much because of this franchise, from ridiculous action figures to a Backward Compatible PS3 just so I could have all the games on one console. I feel like such a tool. :lol

Lara Coft GOL is actually one of the best games of the year IMO. You should get it.

Jocchan said:
Vae victis

Fixed.

No, he said vae victus in the first game.

Vae Victus was Kain's battle cry in Blood Omen. He used it often when he performed swing combos with his weapons: when he was inflicting the maximum damage on his opponents. He explained its meaning after his assassination, while he was in the Underworld: 'Suffering to the conquered'.

Silicon Knights (the creators of Blood Omen) admitted that the phrase was actually mispronounced. Also, it appears than Vae Victis is a more common spelling.

'Vae Victus/Vae Victis' is most commonly translated as 'Woe to the Conquered', as Raziel said. It seems to be attributed to a Celt leader, Brennus, who threatened Rome with his army around 390BC. The Romans offered to pay the Celts a sum of gold if they would leave, and the Celts accepted. While the gold was being measured, some Roman officials accused the Celts of using unfair weights to cheat, and take more gold than had been agreed. Apparently, the Celt leader then added his sword to the scales - saying 'Vae Victis' - reminding them that they had been beaten and couldn't complain. The Romans had no choice but to add enough gold to balance the Celts' weights and the extra weight of the sword.

Top Bottom