• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kamen Rider Battride War (PS3) announced in Dengeki Playstation [Details]

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Best news ever. More than I ever could have dreamed. Suck it, haters.

shaowebb

So I must double check...this WAS the announcement right? Its really Kamen Rider done up Musou style? I need to be solid here.

It didn't help that Capcom didn't really advertise SB3/SH at all in the West. Then when it didn't sell well, they acted all surprised. Now the West will never get that delicious Utage content.

No one had copies. No one.

I ended up driving 2 hours to a game store that had one PS3 version. My wife and I ended up making a fun trip out of it but regardless, Capcom sent Basara to die. It's really unfortunate.

Best Hanzo. :3

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Hopefully it has a big enough budget to justify the hype. A PS3 game with PSP assets will look ridiculous.

Well, imo, Bamco has been pretty solid on asset quality for the PS3 musou games so far, so hopefully that carries over to the Rider game.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Well, imo, Bamco has been pretty solid on asset quality for the PS3 musou games so far, so hopefully that carries over to the Rider game.

This is probably not an actual Musou title, though. Probably a musou clone like that Saint Seiya game that Dimps did for Bamco a while back. Still, apparently the Famitsu article promises "beautifully realistic graphics" or something. So here's hoping!

shaowebb

It seems pretty much confirmed at this point. We just need to wait for the finer details now.
YES! Then Im keeping my hype train ticket!
cHZDT.gif

Hopefully it has a big enough budget to justify the hype. A PS3 game with PSP assets will look ridiculous.

Honestly after looking over the PSP Super Climax Heroes it wouldn't take much work to clean up those models. Take them into Zbrush and subdivide them to polish the look or use smoothing in Maya and then take it into zbrush to clean them up if you prefer, and then back into photoshop to setup higher resolution textures and suddenly you got a nice HD model setup. Hell you could even skip some of that and just abuse Zbrush texturing and bake your normal map from there. Wouldn't even need to really redo the UV maps or anything for them and in this way you'd have both your high res normals to bake and low poly models without going through decimation master or some shit. Less than a days work to convert the model of anything in the PSP into suitable PS3 quality higher poly High res models IMO. Sure would save a helluva lot of time setting up base models to work with and rigs/muscle weights too.

Honestly if I knew a way to rip models off my UMD I'd be doing it just for fan animation fight scene goodness right now. In other words...Namco has a HELLUVA headstart on roster size if they do this. Most of the base work is done for them thanks to Super Climax Heroes. 2-3 modeler/texturerers working for around a little over a month (or 2 since things happen sometimes that make texturing or model polishing tricky on some stuff) and they'd have high res models of every character on that game's roster to send to the animators and coders.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Now that I think about it, if they're saying it's going to have "realistic graphics", then I'm not so sure it's going to be a Dimps game. Have they ever done anything that wasn't cel-shaded/heavily stylized?

Sqorgar

Banned
Hey man, you clearly seem to know what you're talking about. Maybe you can give me a leg up on this. Can you toss me to a video of say, Hokuto Musou being played properly? The way that you seem to enjoy it the most? I'm desperate for knowledge here, it's driving me crazy.
I looked through YouTube and couldn't find anyone playing it particularly well, so I'll try to explain what I like about it.

I think the best way to describe it is like playing a drum. There's a certain beat to the way you play. The game is not smooth. There's a lot of starting and stopping. So, like, you want to end your attacks with one of the glowing attacks (the ones that cause everybody to explode because they are already dead). These are your triangle attacks and they can be charged up a little. So you tap the buttons like boom-boom-chaaaaarge-boom-pow. It's the same sort of square-square-triangle thing going on from other Musou games, but the beat is more pronounced. You aren't smashing buttons as fast as you can, but slower and in time. Screwing up the beat can throw your entire attack string off. And each character has a different beat. Rei and Shin, for example, are quicker and have a lot of parries (hit triangle to go into black and white mode) and creates an entirely different beat.

It's really hard to describe, but once you get the beat, the game makes sense. Everything about the game moves at an unfamiliar pace. Even running and attacking an enemy will start off with you whiffing the air more often than not. Once you've leveled up your character and have all the moves, gotten a few decent musou attacks, enough musou bar to enter angry glowing mode reliably, and know the beat, the game becomes much more interesting than it seems initially.

But if you are playing a fresh character with limited options and don't have a character's beat down yet, it can be rather frustrating. Make that EXTREMELY frustrating. That's why it took me until after story mode before I really learned how to play Ken. Then I had to start all over with Rei. And then again with Mamiya. And so on.

shaowebb

jefusion said:
It has been confirmed that the game will be on the PlayStation 3. It will feature a Musou-type of game where the Kamen Rider rides his bike to save allies. Included in the game are riders from Kuuga to Wizard.

Kamen Rider: Battle Ride Wars will be released this May 28th for 7480 yen, and 10,480 yen for LIMITED EDITION which include 30 songs from the works scheduled to be featured in the game (can be used in-game as music).

Source Link
(I love that one of their sources is us lol)
Hell yeah. Sad no Showa era stuff, but hey gotta leave something for DLC. A musou type game with bike riding to save allies...sounds like the officer missions in the Musou series where "oh no Cao Pi is in trouble!" would pop up and you'd have to fight through crowds to go and rescue them before continuing on with them to beat the main officer.

In other words it sounds like nearly every Musou stage :)

Can't wait to see some screens and gameplay, but Im kind of hoping for more sources than us and that link though for the details.

Hokuto Musou is the black sheep of the Musou family. It doesn't play like any of the other ones. The drum beats slower, so the rhythm required is difficult to learn. Once the game clicks though, it's amazing. I hated it at first and had actually finished the story mode before I realized how to play, but then, it became my favorite one. I would only recommend it to HUGE Musou and/or Hokuto no Ken fans, as it really is a steep learning curve.

Gonna add that once you upgrade the movesets of the slower characters that they speed up considerably. At first though, it is ridiculously slow. Still my favorite Musou right beside Gundam, although GM3's campaign/mission structure gave me huge Musou fatigue due to how bad it was.

More importantly though, when I play a licensed Musou game, I want to get caught up on the series that it's based on. Anyone want to give me a quick primer and recommendation of what to watch and any kind of order to watch it in?

shaowebb

And now to sit back and wait for screens of OOO's, W, Skull, Eternal, Den-O, Decade and Zabee.

Lets see how many on my list I'll get. Im betting at least 5 make it guaranteed with only Skull and Zabee being longshots. They've been on an Eternal kick lately so Im betting he's in their somewhere. Dude front lined both All Generations 2 and Chou Climax Heroes in their roster trailers.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
This is not a musou game. its called kamen riders batoraido war and its got 1/3 of a page in the way back of the magazine.

doesnt mention anything about dlc or whatever.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
THIS SUCKS

I don't really like importing and I won't be able to understand anything even if I do get it.

Lemme play as Fang Joker

iDSxos0oBx6pW.gif

Sorta? You can barely make anything out. Either way this is probably not the game you were hoping for.

...I was really excited for a couple of hours.

I'll probably still buy it. Sucks that it's not a Musou game. If there's any franchise that's perfect for that style of game, it's Kamen Rider.

shaowebb

This is not a musou game. its called kamen riders batoraido war and its got 1/3 of a page in the way back of the magazine.

doesnt mention anything about dlc or whatever.

Is it Musou style though?

Sorta? You can barely make anything out. Either way this is probably not the game you were hoping for.

Damn. Oh well then I guess no console saving will necessarily be taking place. However, I'll wait to see some trailers and details though before I write it off as something I might not have fun with. Hopefully, as we get more details the gameplay style will be more clear and we can get an idea about it all.

THIS SUCKS

I don't really like importing and I won't be able to understand anything even if I do get it.

Lemme play as Fang Joker

iDSxos0oBx6pW.gif
You could always play as him in Chou Climax Heroes. He's not a fast dude though. He takes a bit of work to get going unlike W. His stuff tends to need to start with meter so running away and using shoulder fang till you can charge a bit if possible is nice if you can do it, but with mobile arts in this game its unlikely. Try starting a combo with a launcher (i think its either a kick or arm fang...he may have two) and then do what you can for bar and then start using that to cancel into more hits before ending in launcher combos. I haven't figured out his meter pop combo yet. If I do I'll pass it along since knowing which combos automatically give you a huge meter bonus to abuse is key to some Riders as it lets them extend for massive strings.

He hits good though and his Rider Kick is fun. I just abuse fast dudes like Accel, Decade and W along with V3 though. Starting to get into Kabuto and Black RX as well, but I digress.
doesn't help that it seems like shit past Decade are DLC which means buying shit in alien money /yen.
Im kind of wondering how in the hell they'll do OOO's in this game. Will it be like the way they did his medals in Climax Heroes? In that one you tap one of the sticks and the direction you tap selects which medal you scroll. After a bit you change and if you do a heavy string you will end your combo by transforming into the complete combo of whatever your middle medal was in you previous combo.

The thing is wouldn't this game be duel analog? If not then a trigger would be needed to turn the camera to let players look around easier.

I guess I'll just sit on this and wait for more details over the next few months. I cant make any guesses on this about anything at all till I know more.

shaowebb

So Musou is a genre now?

Its pretty much what the old arcade beat em ups evolved into really.

The key difference is that musou style games thrive on making lots of cast to unlock, and tons of weapons to upgrade/unlock. Basically its just meant to be an approachable wader where you put the player in large crowds of killables to cut loose and unwind and its approachable to anyone but has enough unlocks to discover to keep folks going. Warriors Orochi 3 is by far the best. 3 man teams and to compensate for all that health it throws way more officers at you. The triple attack generates money to buy weapons with in addition to weapon drops, you level like in an rpg to unlock more hits to combos, and you can fuse weapons you own together and all their additional ability slots can be transferred over with doubles stacking in value (fire+1 on a sword and fuse to fire+4 on another creates a +5 stat for the new weapon). Heck there are even weapon classifications marked with stars that indicate their potential base damage ranges. Big star weapons have ass base attack, but are capable of leveling up in base damage with you if you use them and using them nets you secret unlocks of really silly stuff like bendy straws, giant corncobs, and hair dryers to fight with.

Plus the pacing on the unlocking of characters is great in that game and its got over 100 cast to unlock and enjoy along with a real end boss stage for once. Heck just the act of tagging between characters is a move in that game and tagging between Samurai Warriors charge moves that have boosts transfer their boost ability to you next dude. Its awesome transferring some abilities.

Orochi 3 is really the best they've done, but all the things in it combined sort of are enough to declare it a genre. Seperate they aren't much, but altogether its a lot like pokemon...you gotta get em all. Soooo much to try to unlock.

shaowebb

I found 2 infinites in Dynasty Warriors 2 a few years ago.

Your point being? Its not about combos. Its not DMC. Its a wader/unlock series. Its not meant to be something geared toward combo folk. Its meant to be something approachable to anyone that lets them unwind and waste armies. Besides Dynasty 2 is really reaching back to the bottom of the barrel. Hell officers in that game gained health after knockdowns and it was their first game in that style. They never changed too much per game but they got better than that. Hell the combos in 7 are testament to that if you just care about combos. You could custom pair two weapon movesets in that game and by swapping weapons between hits on each move sets combos you could create custom stuff that got pretty wild.

In any event if all someone wants is combos then this isn't for them. Thats not what the game is for. Think of it as an evolution of the old beat em ups at the arcade and you'll understand the fun factor. Think Final Fight not DMC 4.
The whole game is actually set there.

3 kingdoms China, Edo, and magical Orochi fantasy land park of everyplace on fire ever are the 3 settings the Musou non license games come in actually.

Slayven

Your point being? Its not about combos. Its not DMC. Its a wader/unlock series. Its not meant to be something geared toward combo folk. Its meant to be something approachable to anyone that lets them unwind and waste armies. Besides Dynasty 2 is really reaching back to the bottom of the barrel. Hell officers in that game gained health after knockdowns and it was their first game in that style. They never changed too much per game but they got better than that. Hell the combos in 7 are testament to that if you just care about combos. You could custom pair two weapon movesets in that game and by swapping weapons between hits on each move sets combos you could create custom stuff that got pretty wild.

In any event if all someone wants is combos then this isn't for them. Thats not what the game is for. Think of it as an evolution of the old beat em ups at the arcade and you'll understand the fun factor. Think Final Fight not DMC 4.

More importantly it should be a climax from beginning to end.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Not much of a point lol. Reading Musou reminded me of that game, it's the only game I've discovered something like infinites for. That and 4 were really the only Musou games I've played.

4 is definitely closer to what you described of upgradeable weapons and such.

duckroll

I have fixed the title, the OP, and added details. What a pathetic OP this was before I showered my glory and wisdom upon it. :p

Slayven

You know recently they had a bunch of former rider stars in the recording booth. I wonder if they were recording for this and super climax?

shaowebb

Not much of a point lol. That and 4 were really the only Musou games I've played.

4 is definitely closer to what you described of upgradeable weapons and such.

Nice thing is though they stopped making weapons unlocked via drops only. Using triple attack in Orochi 3 you gained money and by leveling you unlocked items to spend that on in the vendor's store. You also unlocked lotto tickets and depending on the difficulty of the last stage you just beat those lotto tickets got better payouts. One ticket equalled random weapons across the 100+ cast and I got many a Big star weapon, 4 Star Weapon and absolutely ridiculous Silly Secret Unlock weapon that way. Much more rewarding than the stage grinding for drops most of the old games demanded IMO.

shaowebb

I guess the term we can use is "Wader" since thats what I used to use to classify together stuff like N3, Sengoku Basara, and Musou series titles into a genre. Here's hoping it measures up to any of those really. Looking forward to seeing whether the graphics hold up this time around. They haven't been much to write home about so far.
So what are the chances it gets localized here in the US? Like zero?

Localized yeah zero, but region locked is another story. Sony doesn't really lock stuff up too hard. Chou CLimax Heroes for PSP is region free along with All Generations 2 for example. Im playing Climax Heroes now.

shaowebb

yep.

Can't wait for youtube videos and what not i guess :S

These things aren't really that hard to bungle through unless you're playing an RPG or something. The only thing that tripped me up was skills I'd unlock in Climax Heroes since I couldn't read what they were. Menus were pretty straight forward. Just stay out of options mode for the most part and you can generally get through it without much struggling.

Top Bottom