• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kamiko |OT| Hyper Light Zelda. The Best $5 You Can Spend on Switch!

Come on people...

hq720_thumb.jpg

2930001-hyperlghter.jpg

It's a neat little game, and the gameplay has nothing to do with HLD, but the visual similarities are uncanny.

jacobeid

Banned
Just completed my first run. 48:23, 1 sitting, 0 deaths.

As someone who played the absolute fuck out of Hyper Light Drifter, this game is WAY too easy.

That being said, I really rate this game and think it's a great addition to the Switch library at it's current price tag. Graphics are nice, music is good, combat is incredibly simple but still very fun. Has plenty of replay value through the other characters (and a game mode I've not unlocked yet?), and it's just long enough for what it is. Doesn't overstay it's welcome at all.

Absolute steal. Money well spent. Encourage everyone to give it a go!

Slightly bringing my hype down a bit but I'm about to download it!

jb1234

I've gone through the first area. It's fun for what it is but too easy and the resemblances to Hyper Light Drifter are kinda distracting (and shameless).

Embararssingly, I'm stuck in the second area.

Vinnk

I've gone through the first area. It's fun for what it is but too easy and the resemblances to Hyper Light Drifter are kinda distracting (and shameless).

Embararssingly, I'm stuck in the second area.

I am sure there is some influence. But more an homage than stealing. A loving one at that. Please look at this game:

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-3DS-download-software/Fairune-943114.html

The original version (iPhone) was released before HLD was announced. So Skipmore has been making these type of games for a while. But yeah, again, I am sure there is some influence in style with HLD, but the actual games themselves are very different. I think people will miss out on this nice little gem if they think it is a cheap cone. It is something different.

I guess that one could also claim it rips off Zelda...

Perineum

Bought it for $5.00 to mess around with as HLD was my GOTY 2016.

Nothing like HLD lol. Quite easy game so far. Made it to level 3, but got bored playing for the evening. I figured for $5.00 and how quick of a game it is it would be easy for my daughter too, but she was struggling with it out of the gate.

For $5 I've played worse stuff. I will complete it, but it isnt something Id recommend with my play session tonight.

Cathcart

Just picked this up and played the first area. Cool stuff! Definitely going to play the rest tomorrow and then try the other characters.

D.Lo

Come on people...

hq720_thumb.jpg

2930001-hyperlghter.jpg

It's a neat little game, and the gameplay has nothing to do with HLD, but the visual similarities are uncanny.

There was probably some influence based on that title screen being pretty similar ;)

But what's silly is that neither game invented this look, it's a pretty standard 'modern indie twist on 8-bit' look. Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP was the first game I personally played with this kind of look, in 2011.

E-flux

Come on people...

What you should have done...

K4WHVGF.jpg

While the coloring looks pretty similar along with the sharp edges in the environment, given the earlier games of kamiko devs i'm pretty sure that they would have evolved to the current style without HLD,

J@hranimo

Banned
I get off work in a hour, so when I get back I'll download it and play it a bit until my copy of MK8D arrives in the mail. Should be fun :)

Jzero

Omg this game looks prettier than breath of the wild. It's crazy how shitty the 3DS made games look compared to the switch screen.

I think they're very obviously going for a hyper light drifter look, but i think it actually ends up looking and feeling a lot more like titan souls

Anyway I think this game is super neat especially for the price. I was only going to play through it once, but it's short enough and fun enough that I might as well run through once with all three characters

e: i just did my first play through in 59:06. i don't think i'll ever try to actually get my time down super low, but even with me taking my time it's a pretty breezy game.

jg4xchamp

Game is too easy, but it feels nice, the music is rad, I might even get in on the speed run action. Needs online leaderboards tho.

Hardvlade

Just picked it up not expecting much, but so far I'm really enjoying it! Just beat the first stage with Yamato.

At first I thought the combat was going to be kind of lame, but running and the quick attacks are fun to use as well. Well worth the 5$! :)

jb1234

Finished this off tonight, took a little under an hour. It's a fun little game, very slight but entertaining. Music's probably the best part.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I really love how the second level looks artistically especially with how you can change it to clear skies

kami_sama

Just finished the game! 100%
in the end it was around 2 hours and half. In the end reviewers were right, it's a great little game, but if it were $10 instead of $5, I wouldn't have though it was worth the money.

All in all, I greatly recommend it to everybody.

E-flux

Yeah, she's the weakest of the bunch. While everyone else can somewhat move while attacking, she stops moving completely.

I don't know, while Yamato is clearly the strongest i think the others are pretty similar strenght, Uzume can clear bosses so much faster than Hitome. Though unlike Hitome i don't think Uzume can complete the game under 15 minutes.

Completed it with all three characters in <2 hours. It's an okay game, but nothing special. I disliked the design choice of having to carefully carry keys to doors without being able to defend yourself. Also, it is way too easy and the bosses are neither fun nor challenging.
All in all, it's worth the five bucks and the playtime.

DrArchon

Completed it with all three characters in <2 hours. It's an okay game, but nothing special. I disliked the design choice of having to carefully carry keys to doors without being able to defend yourself. Also, it is way too easy and the bosses are neither fun nor challenging.
All in all, it's worth the five bucks and the playtime.

My basic thoughts as well. Pretty sure the only time I died was against the final boss
because I didn't know there was a special attack I could do, so I thought you had to die on purpose to trigger something to make the boss vulnerable. D'oh.

You can do a lot worse for $5, but the devs are lucky this is a Switch game and not a PC exclusive where it'd get buried.

Just started this, loving it so far. Very fun to play. I'm stuck though. I've opened the bottom-right, top-left and bottom-left gates, but with the top-right gate, I've no idea where to take the blue ball thing you get out of the chest. I tend to run into respawning enemies before I get a chance to do anything with it. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious. Help!

(This is the kind of question Miiverse was perfect for..)

Just started this, loving it so far. Very fun to play. I'm stuck though. I've opened the bottom-right, top-left and bottom-left gates, but with the top-right gate, I've no idea where to take the blue ball thing you get out of the chest. I tend to run into respawning enemies before I get a chance to do anything with it. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious. Help!

While holding a sphere, stand in front of (below) one of the two cubes with a spherical recess that are near a locked door and press A.
Picture showing the area: http://i.imgur.com/0XbWzFg.jpg

The ball goes
into the pedestals near the start of the level.

Edit: Ninja-ed 'cause I'm slow as fuck.

jb1234

Well, I've finished all three characters. If you're expecting some sort of true ending or something, you'll be let down. I honestly don't recommend playing this game with all three. Unlike say, Ys Origin, there's no new story or gameplay elements aside from having a different weapon. It got very repetitive by the end of the second character but I kept on going in the hope that there'd be a reward. Nope. At least I got my money's worth.

Top Bottom